• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

vg260

I was all set to preorder this on PS4 since I have a Pro, but then I realized this will likely be Scorpio enhanced and now I'm not sure which platform to preorder on. Anyone else going through a similar dilemma?

I'm in that boat for pretty much any multiplatform console game coming out from here on out, even before Scorpio is actually out. Not sure whether to deal with a lower resolution for a bit in hopes for a patch later to bring it up to par or better performance.

I'm really curious to see how the loading times will be on multiplatform games as well, but I guess that matters less for multiplayer game as you'll still have to wait the same amount of time for matches as some will still be on the older hardware.

CamHostage

Trying not to sound like a dick about it, but after 3 or 4 generations spanning 20-25 years, you'd think people would get it by now. If you buy a Nintendo system, you aren't going to get Call of Duty, Battlefront, GTA, or any of the big AAA western blockbusters. If you do manage to get one of these occasionally, it's going to be some gimped up, half-ass, cashing in on the name version.

I don't know if Battlefront is the right fit for Switch (there are a few games that have been successful but online doesn't tend to be a draw for portable game owners unfortunately, and even as a home game I'm not sure that crowd has been cultivated just yet,) but Star Wars in general is a franchise that pretty much hits on all platforms. (Even the PSP had a custom Darth Vader skin and several exclusive titles; DS and 3DS are oddly the odd men out in terms of ever having quality Star Wars experiences on a popular platform.)

For Switch's sake, I do hope EA gets some title running on Frostbite with Switch just so that engine is a viable choice when it's making a game (it's unclear what FIFA is set to run on) if it ever has any plans of being on the platform (which it very well may not.) A Star Wars game would be a great opportunity for that, and it'd be a shame (but not a surprise) if the Henning project wasn't on Switch. Nintendo gamers may not buy CoD or AC or some of those other titles (especially not if they are, as you say, "gimped up, half-ass, cashing in" versions), but Nintendo fans will buy Star Wars games.

jmizzal

I'll be getting this, hope they dont make it so hard to unlock muliplayer faces again, you have to play the so much, everybody doesnt have time to play as much.

Enthus

Vehicles at the spawn, etc + a pilot class would really help that issue.

+Only ones with vehicle skills/perks and can spawn into vehicles
-can only use a very weak blaster pistol, no detonators, etc

Lineups of pics like this make it seem very feasible for them to avoid DLC by allowing cosmetic microtransactions. There are even a few more skins they could use for a pilot class:

AOTC Pilot
latest

Y-Wing Pilot (ROTJ)
Y-Wing_Pilot_-_Pic3.jpg

A-Wing Pilot
p297.jpg

B-Wing Pilot
1450237157512.jpg

U-Wing Pilot
Uwing%20Pilot_zpskdcn116f.jpg

AT-AT Pilot
latest

Tank Pilot
47001b88ba97f10e54c8ebdef26e9c44e3a03e27_hq.jpg

AT-ACT Pilot
R1-art-013_zpsqifzscmv.jpg

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Really curious on how many maps/planets this will launch with. From the trailer we can see Endor, Hoth, Tatooine, Jakku, Naboo, Takodona, Vardos and Starkiller Base, plus Kamino from artwork and Yavin IV from the key art.

That's 10 planets so far. Now it's difficult to know for sure without knowing the game modes and structure of the maps, but if it follows the 2015 game, it will give us at least 2 maps per planet. So that's 20 maps already, and I'm not counting space battle zones.

Gleethor

Really curious on how many maps/planets this will launch with. From the trailer we can see Endor, Hoth, Tatooine, Jakku, Naboo, Takodona, Vardos and Starkiller Base, plus Kamino from artwork and Yavin IV from the key art.

So that's 10 planets so far. Now it's difficult to know for sure without knowing the game modes and structure of the maps, but if it follows the 2015 game, it will give us at least 2 maps per planet. So that's 20 maps already, and I'm not counting space battle zones.
We better get Geonosis. One of my fav maps from the OG series.

Sharpeye

I wonder if third party factions will have a comeback, although I reckon that might be a balancing nightmare on certain planets. Maybe just special units then.

That's 10 planets so far. Now it's difficult to know for sure without knowing the game modes and structure of the maps, but if it follows the 2015 game, it will give us at least 2 maps per planet. So that's 20 maps already, and I'm not counting space battle zones.

Nah. I doubt that. I'm expecting them to announce '1 map for all gamemodes' again. I think the only reason they had 4 planets in the last game was because of dev time. They didn't have time to create assets for 12 unique maps, so instead stretched what they had.

We'll see, but that would unprecedented for, not only a modern Dice game, but a modern game in general. I can't think of a single AAA fps in the last 8 years that's launched with 20+ maps. Unless they plan to port the first games maps directly over. Same engine, so I imagine it's possible. I'm thinking 1 per planet, 12-15 all new, and all about as big as a Battlefield map, plus 4-5 air/space, which is still a lot. I'd love to be wrong, but Dice has always been lacking in maps compared to competition. I'm not getting my hopes up for 25+ maps, personally.

prag16

Banned
Im expecting 6 hours at most.

Why? This isn't a DICE in-house campaign. It's made by a totally different studio working in parallel.

Maybe it'll be that short, but it seems like there's a decent shot at something much beefier. Have they given any indication (or have any insiders sniffed anything out)?

Yoda

Story being canon is probably a bad sign. Not only will the story need to make it through the suits of EA, but also the suits @ Disney. Prepare for an unoriginal and forgettable tale with multiple plot holes and shoe horned in bullshit (lets for this iconic character into the story!).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nah. I doubt that. I'm expecting them to announce '1 map for all gamemodes' again. I think the only reason they had 4 planets in the last game was because of dev time. They didn't have time to create assets for 12 unique maps, so instead stretched what they had.

We'll see, but that would unprecedented for, not only a modern Dice game, but a modern game in general. I can't think of a single AAA fps in the last 8 years that's launched with 20+ maps. Unless they plan to port the first games maps directly over. Same engine, so I imagine it's possible. I'm thinking 1 per planet, 12-15 all new, and all about as big as a Battlefield map, plus 4-5 air/space, which is still a lot. I'd love to be wrong, but Dice has always been lacking in maps compared to competition. I'm not getting my hopes up for 25+ maps, personally.

Yeah, the alternative is going with Battlefield style with 1 big map for each planet for modes like Walker Assault and Supremacy and using a small portion of the map for smaller game modes like Blast and CTF. I'm not going be surprised at all if that is the route they gone for since it takes less dev time.

rrc1594

Meh. I personally can't get too excited since it seems its just like Battlefront one. Just dogfights in space. Not the cool stuff we want like piloting into a ship, going on foot, hopping back into your fighter after making damage, and back out to space. Seems its just the same boring dogfight mode from the last game just with space background. Really disappointed. Those maps/modes wheere it was a hybrid of infantry skirmish and space dogfights were the best

Well shit thought that was what it was hyped killed

ArmGunar

Meh. I personally can't get too excited since it seems its just like Battlefront one. Just dogfights in space. Not the cool stuff we want like piloting into a ship, going on foot, hopping back into your fighter after making damage, and back out to space. Seems its just the same boring dogfight mode from the last game just with space background. Really disappointed. Those maps/modes wheere it was a hybrid of infantry skirmish and space dogfights were the best

Exactly, very disappointing ...
Too bad Criterion can't think and just copy what DICE made in the first one

SpaceWolf

Banned
How would a Battlefront campaign even work with a main protagonist anyway? Isn't the whole point of the gameplay that you're playing as multiple characters?

I'd like to be able to customise the paint scheme on fighters.
Nothing crazy, but 181st style red stripes on TIEs... or green, or blue, or black, stripes on X-Wings.

How would a Battlefront campaign even work with a main protagonist anyway? Isn't the whole point of the gameplay that you're playing as multiple characters?

Huh?
The same way it works for Battlefield.
Thats why they always make you special forces so it seems less weird when your soldier jumps in vehicles they shouldn't really be in.
Which fits Star Wars though as anyone worth anything is decent at piloting and ground combat

Infinite Warfare is the direction this should follow(obviously more vehicles, and hero characters)

Boem

You jump over to other characters. Heroes have their own story chapters (don't know if it's all the heroes but they specifically mentioned Luke and Kylo as examples).

sout

Neo Member
So we're now at a point where there's two games called Star War Battlefront and 2 games called Star Wars Battlefront II?
It's good they finally added space battles I guess, and seems like there's some stuff that really should have been in the first game but man I really didn't connect with the first reboot game when I played it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wait, is this confirmed?

Lemondish

Story being canon is probably a bad sign. Not only will the story need to make it through the suits of EA, but also the suits @ Disney. Prepare for an unoriginal and forgettable tale with multiple plot holes and shoe horned in bullshit (lets for this iconic character into the story!).

Why is any of that likely?

What i find really bad about all this is that there shouldn't even be a question of it living up to the original two games (and the cancelled 3rd game) from over a decade ago in the first place. That shouldn't even be a concern at all, but so far what they've said suggests it won't reach the bar those games set. I'm sure it'll still be fun, but in terms of content i don't think it'll be good enough. These new games should be improving on what the original two had, not struggling to even get to the same level. In terms of graphics and atmosphere they're really good, but when the rest of the game (other than the combat, that's an evolution of the original two in some ways) is a step backwards, why should that be acceptable?

I don't think saying "It's a reboot!" makes any difference, either. They're still trying to make a game that does the same sort of thing, it's not as if the overall goal of it has changed and they're going to be compared to the original two games either way. It arbitrarily being named Battlefront 1/2 instead of 3/4 shouldn't be used an excuse for it to go backwards. Watching the Battlefront 3 trailer, that seemed to be what a Battlefront game should have been and an evolution of the series. I'll give it a try either way but at the moment I'm not too hopeful, despite it obviously being a step in the right direction and an improvement over the previous game i don't think that's really enough.

Dantooine

Banned
Maybe these points have been answered already.

Will they split the eras like in the original Battlefronts? Or when playing a certain mode, say walker assault will it switch between eras and maps randomly. I guess that's possible as they've said that a class is the same regardless of which era.

Also, with regards to offline. It says under the Co-op section that you can team up off line and level up, then take that online. Are they basically saying that multiplayer will be playable offline with bots? Can it be played solo? It looks promising so far.

Holy shit. This very quickly went from a game I planned on playing passively (because Star Wars) to something I think I'll play a ton of. No season pass makes playing even more compelling! Not really sold on the deluxe edition nonsense though.

I was hoping that we might get a bundle of this game with Project Scorpio, but Sony nabbed the marketing again... At least I'll be able to check it out early on EA Access.

Raide

Battlefront's engine was optimized very well, I'm wondering what meaningful improvements will exist for Pro and Scorpio.

Certainly 4k textures and 60fps on Scorpio. Maybe some more advanced lighting/AA options. MS have worked with the Frostbyte engine on making improvements that will Ben's good use of Scorpio tech.

RoKKeR

Totally agreed, it's what made the original BF2 so great. I wish they would bring those back.

prag16

Banned
The gunplay was great in the first game. I really hope they don't change the focus on hipfire and mobility.

Yep. Don't fuck with it. When people say "gunplay sucks, needs to be improved" and you drill down and get more detail out of them for the most part what they mean is "make it more like Battlefield". No. Don't make it more like Battlefield. It's its own thing and it's solid.

lol at the idea of disney suits even caring about a video game. It's EA that got the license and is paying for the development. It will just be the Lucasfilm story group that is making sure the canon doesn't get to old EU levels of not making sense.

Yep. Don't fuck with it. When people say "gunplay sucks, needs to be improved" and you drill down and get more detail out of them for the most part what they mean is "make it more like Battlefield". No. Don't make it more like Battlefield. It's its own thing and it's solid.
Exactly. I'm already slightly annoyed that they are adding weapon modifications, but I'll be happy as long as they don't add penalties for Hipfiring or shooting while strafing. Accuracy, spread, recoil, etc should all be the same whether you hipfire or ADS.

RyanW

Honestly all the game really needed for depth was classes. Just improve the roll/dodge mechanic and make less linear maps and modes and we're golden.

Top Bottom