• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Single Player Cinematic Trailer

N21

What tech?

The part with the pre-recorded message on the visor of Palpatine's messenger. I thought it was a bit too futuristic for Star Wars. I know we have had holograms, but that tech looked too new for Star Wars.

What technology? I'm assuming you mean the droid, but i don't see anything out-of-place about what's basically just a droid wearing robes with a hologram screen.

If you mean holograms or robots, no, not really. This isn't the Emperor back from the dead or anything, he's just got some prerecorded messages/protocols for what the Empire is meant to do in his demise. It's basically a playable version of the Aftermath novels and the Shattered Empire comics.

Ahh, thanks for the clear up.

StereoVsn

I am super tempted since I kind of liked Battlefront 1 Ultimate Edition I got for $15 but then again it was only $15 :). Not sure I would feel about $40 for same content (GCU).

Also took a bit, but hunted down the scene that the droid's dialogue is basically lifted from:
a40a0ea66ccdca8ec22c54314e57f32a.png

Perks of a single defined canon.

Edit:
Nice. Do you know if it's pre rendered or running in real time of the hardware?

Personally, no, but it wouldn't be difficult to see this as running on PS4 hardware.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The acting and dialogue was really good.

I'm getting excited for SP.

Oh and let's not forget the writer of Spec-Ops: The Line is the lead writer here so that is another point to get hyped about the story.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is that in game cutscene? 😧

doesnt matter. in game cutscenes this gen look vastly better than ingame visuals because of various effects that add more detail to the faces when viewed up close. the in game character models wont look as good.

Voidwolf

Looks good. Is Sam Witwer still voicing the Emperor these days? I know there's a few filters due to it being a message relayed by a droid but this sounds even better than his previous voicework as Sidious. Before I could easily recognize his voice although I'm sure it was in part due to already knowing it was him. Glad that guy is still getting to work on Star Wars, he's a huge fan, dude is so lucky. What I wouldn't give to be involved with the series in any capacity...

Yeah empire as depicted as having xenofobia in the new canon. Thats what makes Thrawn special.
Same in Legends! Really glad they remained consistent in that portrayal.

Gemüsepizza;250408193 said:
After the BF1 disaster, I have zero confidence that they will deliver a good SP campaign. Yes they can make pretty cutescenes, but I certainly won't pay again 60€ for a shitty 3 hour campaign.

Like clockwork...

Looks good. Is Sam Witwer still voicing the Emperor these days? I know there's a few filters due to it being a message relayed by a droid but this sounds even better than his previous voicework as Sidious. Before I could easily recognize his voice although I'm sure it was in part due to already knowing it was him. Glad that guy is still getting to work on Star Wars, he's a huge fan, dude is so lucky. What I wouldn't give to be involved with the series in any capacity...

He's become the default voice actor for the Emperor these days, which as a role is probably going to keep him going for a while. He's getting really experienced with it too.

Looks good. Is Sam Witwer still voicing the Emperor these days? I know there's a few filters due to it being a message relayed by a droid but this sounds even better than his previous voicework as Sidious. Before I could easily recognize his voice although I'm sure it was in part due to already knowing it was him. Glad that guy is still getting to work on Star Wars, he's a huge fan, dude is so lucky. What I wouldn't give to be involved with the series in any capacity.

Yea it's still Witwer. He's voicing Maul in the multiplayer as well, reprising the role from Clone Wars.
He's also the one that talked DICE into using the Dee Bradley Baker for the Clone Troopers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really liked this scene. If the story is proper I don't care if the gameplay is just OK. I'm in for the story. We don't get that many SW stories at this level anyhow.

"Bf1 disaster"

What the fuck was so offensive about that campaign?
I wouldn't call it a 'disaster' but it was aggressively average. For a game about a world war I thought it was weird how many missions were about marking guys so that you could stealthily take them out in a circular area.

It's super irrelevant when talking about this game though since it's different devs.

Sephzilla

The main problem with CGI Tarkin in Rogue One, in my opinion, was that they over did the little facial tics Peter Cushing had and the end result was that it pushed the entire thing into uncanny valley territory.

Yea I was exaggerating a bit, but still thought the CGI Tarkin was meh. This looks pretty damn impressive though.

They haven’t achieved 100% parity with real actors yet but I thought Tarkin looked pretty convincing.

There are still shades of uncanny valley in the performance but we’ve come a long and way and getting closer all the time to being able to generate CG humans who look and act like the real thing.

Looks sweet, currently into the Inferno squad book so that helps with understanding the characters.

I don't understand why people keep screaming 'Dice can't make a campaign!' while Dice isn't even working on the campaign. I believe it's Criterion who is doing the campaign (and motive is doing the starfighter aspect). They have a good writer on board as well (with great source material). I wouldn't be surprised if people are pleasantly surprised with the campaign. Will it be short? Probably, but so are most FPS campaigns nowadays.

sphagnum

Banned
Isn't Cinder
what leads to the massacre on Jakku?

Yes, Cinder is part of the larger Contingency, and basically serves the purpose of
just wrecking shit to make the Empire and as much of the NR as possible fall apart, so Rax can "purify" the Imperial forces before escaping into the Unknown Regions. Jakku is the final part of the plan because the supercomputer that Palpatine used to calculate Thrawn's data for a safe passage into the UR is there, and Rax was initially trying to blow up the planet to wipe out most Imp and NR forces before escaping, but Sloane killed him, prevented the explosion, and escaped to form the FO.

Cinder is basically Sheev going "If I'm dead, you all deserve to die too."

prag16

Banned
The main problem with CGI Tarkin in Rogue One, in my opinion, was that they over did the little facial tics Peter Cushing had and the end result was that it pushed the entire thing into uncanny valley territory.

The main thing that took me out of it was how.. large they made him. Cushing was six feet tall? And kind of wiry. In Rogue One he was too broad and tall. Looked like he was 6'5" the way he towered over Mendelsohn.

I believe it's Criterion who is doing the campaign (and motive is doing the starfighter aspect)

Other way around, but yeah the point still stands. Not sure the concern trolls want to hear it though. I'm optimistic that it'll be better than the typical Battlefield/CoD campaigns. Hoping it ends up lengthier too.

Voidwolf

Yea it's still Witwer. He's voicing Maul in the multiplayer as well, reprising the role from Clone Wars.
He's also the one that talked DICE into using the Dee Bradley Baker for the Clone Troopers.

Yeah the Maul bit I knew and he does a great job with that role too but the Clone Trooper part I didn't know, that's really cool of him. Although part me of me would have preferred Temuera Morrison.

Sephzilla

Yes, Cinder is part of the larger Contingency, and basically serves the purpose of
just wrecking shit to make the Empire and as much of the NR as possible fall apart, so Rax can "purify" the Imperial forces before escaping into the Unknown Regions. Jakku is the final part of the plan because the supercomputer that Palpatine used to calculate Thrawn's data for a safe passage into the UR is there, and Rax was initially trying to blow up the planet to wipe out most Imp and NR forces before escaping, but Sloane killed him, prevented the explosion, and escaped to form the FO.

Cinder is basically Sheev going "If I'm dead, you all deserve to die too."

Wow, the Emperor is the biggest asshole, lol

Kinyou

I mean, are they really hiding it? Doesn't feel that way to me. What do you expect to see?

The game is multiplayer first, the campaign is just a bonus.
Some actual gameplay sequences would be nice.

Sure, multiplayer comes first, but the campaign is supposed to be one of the big new additions so it's weird that we don't see much of it.

Just think of how Battlefield 3 revealed its campaign.

Yeah the Maul bit I knew and he does a great job with that role too but the Clone Trooper part I didn't know, that's really cool of him. Although part me of me would have preferred Temuera Morrison.

Well Morrison is still playing Fett so both actors get to shine.
Personally, I liked Baker at lot more as the Clones, but I enjoyed Clone Wars much more than any of the prequels.

Well, by his own admission in the stream where he brings it up, EA and DICE were probably already thinking of hiring Baker - but he likes to think he helped his friends get work.

Yep. I actually really like it as the Emperor's final act - it cements the fact he is, as you put it, the biggest asshole. There's no more trying to gloss over the evils of his Empire by claiming he was doing it for the good of the galaxy - it really was for him, and the moment it ceased to be, he was happy to let it burn.

sphagnum

Banned

It's an interesting dynamic and makes a lot of sense when you think of his personality. In both Legends and canon, Palpatine's primary goal was to find a way to live forever, and he almost achieved that in Legends through essence transfer but that's sort of been ruled out in canon since George laid down a hard rule that Sith could not become spirits. So the logical endpoint is "If I can't live forever, and this whole thing doesn't work out, then this Empire I built for myself is pointless and everyone should be punished for failing me!"

When we first found out that the war only lasted one more year after RotJ in canon it felt very abrupt, but it makes a lot of sense when you take into account that Sheev built the whole thing to revolve around and serve him and there was no real plan of succession since he intended to live forever. Then on top of that he purposefully crafted a system to destroy what was left if he failed.

CamHostage

Well the thing is we've barely seen any of {Story Mode} and there's a whole studio on it (plus some really talented folks).

Sure, but isn't there a whole talented studio on the space flight component? Motive is still getting on its feet through the Battlefront process (and ultimately has its own title to produce,) I don't know that we can read too much into the Campaign just from the staffing. I'm still very excited to play Story, but everybody buying SF:BF2 should be getting it with an understanding that its primary purpose is as an online multiplayer game, and if the offline and SP modes turn out well (I already like the split-screen features and Arcade mode), all the better.

Find it kind of surprising that they'll openly talk about The Emperor being dead but make no mention of Vader's demise as well. Wonder if it's known that Vader turned at the end.

Others would know Star Wars canon better than I, but if I understand correctly, the Emperor was a revered leader to those loyal to the Empire (and even to general citizens of the Empire, whether they suffer oppression under Empire occupation or thrive in the Empire's version of an economy or just skate by as an under-controlled planet, manipulation of the narrative maintains the Emperor to be the leader they need despite the dark times ... unaware of who has brought down upon them the dark times.) His death was a major event for the entire galaxy.

Darth Vader, however, is just an enforcer. A big-time enforcer, but he walks the galleys of the Death Star and boards ships in raiding parties with fellow troopers. Grand Moff Tarkin bosses him around. Awareness of his "ancient religion" has dissipated over time as the Jedi were stomped out; whatever magical forces were discovered became channeled through technology into weapons, leaving troopers with the same curiosity over how the Death Star murders planets as how their blaster fires laser bolts or how an Inquisitor's laser sword deflects attacks (perhaps there's even a theory among the ranks for how "Vader's glove" throws soldiers around or chokes commanders?) The Emperor is an exalted leader in a private castle somewhere whose presence would be unexpected even on the "ultimate power in the universe", whereas Vader regularly shows up for construction inspection.

Would Inferno Squad have known Vader? I would assume so (the books and eventually the game probably confirm that?), and maybe they even respect/revere him as a leader and conqueror. But in the grand scheme of things, the death of the grand Emperor and the crumbling of their entire Empire was more than enough grief to process at that time.

Sephzilla

Others would know Star Wars canon better than I, but if I understand correctly, the Emperor was a revered leader to those loyal to the Empire (and even to general citizens of the Empire, whether they suffer oppression under Empire occupation or thrive in the Empire's version of an economy or just skate by as an under-controlled planet, manipulation of the narrative maintains the Emperor to be the leader they need despite the dark times ... unaware of who has brought down upon them the dark times.) His death was a major event for the entire galaxy.

Darth Vader, however, is just an enforcer. A big-time enforcer, but he walks the galleys of the Death Star and boards ships in raiding parties with fellow troopers. Grand Moff Tarkin bosses him around. Awareness of his "ancient religion" has dissipated over time as the Jedi were stomped out; whatever magical forces were discovered became channeled through technology into weapons, leaving troopers with the same curiosity over how the Death Star murders planets as how their blaster fires laser bolts or how an Inquisitor's laser sword deflects attacks (perhaps there's even a theory among the ranks for how "Vader's glove" throws soldiers around or chokes commanders?) The Emperor is an exalted leader in a private castle somewhere whose presence would be unexpected even on the "ultimate power in the universe", whereas Vader regularly shows up for construction inspection.

Would Inferno Squad have known Vader? I would assume so (the books and eventually the game probably confirm that?), and maybe they even respect/revere him as a leader and conqueror. But in the grand scheme of things, the death of the grand Emperor and the fall of their entire Empire was more than enough grief to process at that time.

I was always under the impression that, by Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Vader was the #2 guy in The Empire behind only the Emperor himself. In A New Hope, Tarkin orders Vader around and the other generals openly mock Vader a bit. But after that we never see anyone order Vader around anymore, everyone answers to Vader, and Vader only answers to the Emperor directly.

Top Bottom