• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Single Player Cinematic Trailer

sphagnum

Banned
The whole having a massive contingency plan and operation cinder stuff was so out of character for Palpatine.

How is it out of character? The dude planned everything.

He planned the entire Clone War. His death in RotJ is because of a failed trap that he set! He's a total planner.

JCHandsom

I truly hope the single player does not become a Nazi empathy practice mode. We already have enough Neo Nazi supporters in the gaming space to "educate" us on their thoughts. I don't think I want to pay 60 dollars for another nazism experience.

This is my biggest concern about the single player as well.

I honestly am not a fan of playing up the Empire in any story as unironical good guys. This better end with a revelation, a defection, an unsympathetic defeat, or something to make it clear that the Empire are bad guys or I'm out.

I don't want this to become a "and then they escaped into the UR and helped found the FO" tale.

I have a feeling that meeting Luke on that one planet and seeing that he's not such a bad guy will be a turning point.

CamHostage

He planned the entire Clone War. His death in RotJ is because of a failed trap that he set! He's a total planner.

Well, yeah. And that's what makes it kind of dicey, because the Emperor had the foresight to outwit the whole Jedi Order and the entire galaxy's combined Senate leadership, planning every double-cross and sneaky trick... but when it comes to a couple of rebel insurgents sneaking onto a forest moon shielding the Death Star, which the Emperor doesn't need to be on, he feels he's not up to the task without a Plan B?

It makes for a good story starter for a videogame (and since there's a book, it's "official canon", for what that means these days,) but as an aspect of the character, I could see it not jiving with how some see the Emperor. That said, we don't know how many "Cinder" alt plans Palpatine left out there and didn't need to make use of because love-struck Chosen Ones are around to throw Jedi Masters out the window for him.

I was always under the impression that, by Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Vader was the #2 guy in The Empire behind only the Emperor himself.

I still imagine that way sometimes too, but in reality, it's funny we have this idea of the Empire. I mean, Vader was kind of a weird bossman, right? He was there for both Death Stars, but each time one was getting attacked, Vader was off doing his own thing. Then, even after the greatest disaster in Empire history, Vader still set aside time to personally give directions to gun-for-hire bounty hunters and make deals with a gas mine baron and inbound a surrendering prisoner. It was his idea to let through the ship full of insurgents who blew up Death Star II's protection shield. While Princess Leia (a key leader of the frickin' Rebel Alliance!) was busy sneaking out the back door on Cloud City, big man Vader is gone sword-fighting with the lucky-shot farmboy down in a reactor shaft!

giphy.gif

From a trooper's perspective, somebody should have turned the Force Choke on him for a change since he was the one whose failure was damn-near complete. Maybe Inferno Squad are better off without Vader...

SRTtoZ

Looks cool but will probably disappoint me like every other battlefield campaign. I just hope the MP has more life this time around.

Vico

Between the "content" trailer the other day, showing what they call "single-player-only locations", and this trailer showing pretty much the same things we've been seeing for months, I'm getting worried about the campaign. Thought it had the potential to feel like Titanfall 2's or Infinite Warfare's campaign, but it seems like it might be poor content-wise.

adj_noun

Rebel Fighters > Imperial Fighters

A-Wings 4 life

I will forever hold a grudge against those bastard A-Wings for two reasons:

*One MEASLY, STINKING A-Wing takes down a Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ. :mad: I hope whoever designed 'em to be taken out with one fighter hit to the bridge was sacked.

*They were broken as hell when Battlefront first launched. You basically couldn't hit them. Fighter Squadron was all A-Wing Rebel wins, all the time.

JCHandsom

*One MEASLY, STINKING A-Wing takes down a Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ. :mad:

Not true

-Admiral Ackbar ordered the fleet to focus all their firepower on the Executor in order to draw fire away from the fighters entering the Death Star, so it must have been taking a considerable beating

-We see two other ships (also A-Wings, haha) destroy the shield generator, leaving the command deck vulnerable

And THEN we get the crippling kamikaze strike from Green Leader (RIP)

sphagnum

Banned
Well, yeah. And that's what makes it kind of dicey, because the Emperor had the foresight to outwit the whole Jedi Order and the entire galaxy's combined Senate leadership, planning every double-cross and sneaky trick... but when it comes to a couple of rebel insurgents sneaking onto a forest moon shielding the Death Star, which the Emperor doesn't need to be on, he feels he's not up to the task without a Plan B?

It makes for a good story starter for a videogame (and since there's a book, it's "official canon", for what that means these days,) but as an aspect of the character, I could see it not jiving with how some see the Emperor. That said, we don't know how many "Cinder" alt plans Palpatine left out there and didn't need to make use of because love-struck Chosen Ones are around to throw Jedi Masters out the window for him.

That still fits with Sheev in RotJ though. As Luke pointed out his overconfidence was his weakness. He always won, he always had things planned out, and he thought he didn't think Vader would seriously be tamed by Luke loving him. This was supposed to be the final battle and he was arrogant enough to think he had already gotten everything under his control. But just in case he somehow failed he was going to ruin the galaxy for everyone as punishment.

If it's a failure of the story I'd say that's more RotJ's fault. Or maybe one day we'll find out that he did attempt to transfer his essence to a backup clone body like in Legends but couldn't because Sith can't become spirits.

adj_noun

Not true

-Admiral Ackbar ordered the fleet to focus all their firepower on the Executor in order to draw fire away from the fighters entering the Death Star, so it must have been taking a considerable beating

-We see two other ships (also A-Wings, haha) destroy the shield generator, leaving the command deck vulnerable

And THEN we get the crippling kamikaze strike from Green Leader

Exactly.

The graphics in this game look fucking awesome and I hope the story and gameplay lives up to this promise. I love the way they're connecting all the expanded universe stuff like Operation Cinder.

Is it too much to hope for an appearance from my girl Doctor Aphra

Toxi

Banned
*One MEASLY, STINKING A-Wing takes down a Super Star Destroyer in ROTJ. :mad: I hope whoever designed 'em to be taken out with one fighter hit to the bridge was sacked.
The shields were completely down, so it was just the wall of the bridge vs a 9.6 meter long shielded fighter accelerating to an absurd speed.

RIP Arvel Crynyd, Green Leader.

The whole having a massive contingency plan and operation cinder stuff was so out of character for Palpatine.

What? Dude literally engineered a massive intergalactic war and simultaneously lead both sides against each other to wipe out the Jedi.

Planning elaborate shit is his whole deal.

adj_noun

What? Dude literally engineered a massive intergalactic war and simultaneously lead both sides against each other to wipe out the Jedi.

In retrospect, he really probably should have had a remote controlled shutdown switch hidden in Vader's armor.

If Vader asked what it was they could have just told him it was something wizard.

sphagnum

Banned
In retrospect, he really probably should have had a remote controlled shutdown switch hidden in Vader's armor.

If Vader asked what it was they could have just told him it was something wizard.

That already happened in the Darth Vader comic, where the guy in charge of rebuilding Vader after Mustafar (Dr. Cylo) used a built in killswitch to turn off his life support. Vader just powered through it with the dark side.

jesu

Well...that was lame.

Zero expectations that this will be good. We haven't seen anything yet from this Single Player campaign since the announcement. We're two months away, and the only thing they have to show is this scene with cheesy writing and hammy as fuck acting?

Sounds perfectly like Star Wars then.

Tarkin and Vader’s relationship is difficult to fully reconcile in ANH any way you slice it because there’s one scene in which Tarkin basically barks an order to Vader (when he’s choking out the smartass) and Leah’s reference to Tarkin holding Vader’s leash but later in the film Vader tells Tarkin in no uncertain terms that he’s to face Kenobi alone.

Looking back at the filmic entirety of both characters, including the brief shot of Tarkin in RoTS and his role in Rogue One, I’d venture to say he and Vader have known each other for many years and have a mutual respect for one another, as well as enjoy a familiarity that would embolden Tarkin to chide Vader when choking a high-ranking subordinate.

(God, I love these geek culture discussions)

Because he had no reason. Palpatine's whole shtick was his grand plan for his personal gain and power. Every move made was as he forseen it, he planned everything, and his over confidence was his downfall. His mastermind plan he was so certain of, had no reason to have a contingency in the event of his failure. Everything he did was self serving and to achieve power, he believed he knew everything and that is why he failed. For him to have been wasting resources and time with an elaborate plan for petty revenge is stupid.

sphagnum

Banned
Because he had no reason. Palpatine's whole shtick was his grand plan for his personal gain and power. Every move made was as he forseen it, he planned everything, and his over confidence was his downfall. His mastermind plan he was so certain of, had no reason to have a contingency in the event of his failure. Everything he did was self serving and to achieve power, he believed he knew everything and that is why he failed. For him to have been wasting resources and time with an elaborate plan for petty revenge is stupid.

I think this would be the case if Palpatine had reached the point where he believed he had surpassed Plagueis and learned how to keep himself alive forever. But there's nothing in canon to support that and only material that supports the idea that he was still researching (such as funding Cylo's experiments). He had dealt with setbacks and failures throughout the movies and TCW - it's not like literally everything he conspired towards went 100% according to plan. His talent was in spinning even failures into long-term victories. So if he still does not think he is 100% invulnerable, just extremely confident that he will get to that point, it stands to reason that he would allow the possibility of dying before accomplishing his goal. Thus his contingency, designed to punish the Empire for failing him.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It bums me out they’re just showing a cutscene instead of actually showing off the campaign. They’ve talked it up so much and not shown anything from it aside from cutscenes and a couple seconds here and there. I thought for sure that this week we would finally see it when they were teasing major info drops this week. I don’t have much faith it’ll turn out well but I hope it does.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Looks good. Glad they aren't showing the campaign early this isn't 1993 footage would be all over the net spoiling it for many people. When this game drops I'm unplugging my modem until I finish it.

Kalentan

Tarkin and Vader’s relationship is difficult to fully reconcile in ANH any way you slice it because there’s one scene in which Tarkin basically barks an order to Vader (when he’s choking out the smartass) and Leah’s reference to Tarkin holding Vader’s leash but later in the film Vader tells Tarkin in no uncertain terms that he’s to face Kenobi alone.

Looking back at the filmic entirety of both characters, including the brief shot of Tarkin in RoTS and his role in Rogue One, I’d venture to say he and Vader have known each other for many years and have a mutual respect for one another, as well as enjoy a familiarity that would embolden Tarkin to chide Vader when choking a high-ranking subordinate.

Vader and Tarkin knew each other when Vader was Anakin.

I believe in the Tarkin novel it's not outright stated but heavily implied he knows Vader is Anakin.

Eggbok

Tarkin and Vader's relationship is difficult to fully reconcile in ANH any way you slice it because there's one scene in which Tarkin basically barks an order to Vader (when he's choking out the smartass) and Leah's reference to Tarkin holding Vader's leash but later in the film Vader tells Tarkin in no uncertain terms that he's to face Kenobi alone.

Looking back at the filmic entirety of both characters, including the brief shot of Tarkin in RoTS and his role in Rogue One, I'd venture to say he and Vader have known each other for many years and have a mutual respect for one another, as well as enjoy a familiarity that would embolden Tarkin to chide Vader when choking a high-ranking subordinate.

They do, last half of season 5 of Clone Wars shows how they have different approachs but respect each other immensely. Tarkin was never a fan of the Jedi but really appreciate's Anakin as a solider and his ability to get the job done regardless of Jedi code.

Vader and Tarkin knew each other when Vader was Anakin.

I believe in the Tarkin novel it's not outright stated but heavily implied he knows Vader is Anakin.

I imagine all of Palpatines top men know that Anakin is Vader. He called Anakin 'Lord Vader' in front of Mas Amedda in ROTS so I'm sure Tarkin knows as well.
And since Anakin was the one who led the attack on the jedi temple Tarkin would have had to have known.

WillyFive

It's just a boring cutscene instead of an actual trailer; it's a talky scene that doesn't speak highly of it's characters. Cutscene visuals are a bit of downgrade from BF1, but it's a different studio so it's fine.

I think it's a lame story point (I thought the whole point of the new canon was to get rid of fanfiction junk like that), but it is 110% Palpatine.

Drayco21

Tarkin is definitely one of the few people in the Empire aware of Vader's true identity- it's mentioned that he worked it out in the Tarkin novel based on his prior interaction with Skywalker.

Outside of Sheev, Amedda and Cylo, there's probably not a lot of other Imperials aware.

sphagnum

Banned
Tarkin is definitely one of the few people in the Empire aware of Vader's true identity- it's mentioned that he worked it out in the Tarkin novel based on his prior interaction with Skywalker.

Outside of Sheev, Amedda and Cylo, there's probably not a lot of other Imperials aware.

Thanoth figured it out. I would be stunned if Thrawn didn't figure it out. Rax maybe. I would think that's probably about it.

edit: You know, I bet the Inquisitors knew, or at least the Grand Inquisitor. He was a Temple Guard so he would have been there during Order 66 and swore loyalty to survive. They're about to enter an arc with the Inquisitors in the new Vader comic and I'm sure it will come up.

Drayco21

Thanoth figured it out. I would be stunned if Thrawn didn't figure it out. Rax maybe. I would think that's probably about it.

Yeah, I forgot about Thrawn- in the novel, he's able to immediately determine that Palpatine is manipulating Anakin into becoming his servant from like one conversation, so he's another one.

Eggbok

Doesn't Tarkin tell Vader the jedi are extinct and he was the last of them or something like that? Tarkin has to know that he's Anakin.

sphagnum

Banned
Doesn't Tarkin tell Vader the jedi are extinct and he was the last of them or something like that? Tarkin has to know that he's Anakin.

"The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion."

Of course, this was written before George settled on Sith meaning "evil opposite of Jedi" so at the time it was just like telling Vader he was the last of the wizards.

Drayco21

Is Amazon not offering a disc version of this game? All I see is the digital and want that 20%

They've been sold out since before E3. Apparently EA won't allocate them any more copies. I had the same problem with Marvel Infinite's deluxe edition- had to go to an actual Gamestop.

Almost made a thread about the two of them a few weeks ago; Amazon's been slipping.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, I forgot about Thrawn- in the novel, he's able to immediately determine that Palpatine is manipulating Anakin into becoming his servant from like one conversation, so he's another one.

I really need to check out that Thrawn novel. Is it good overall?

Top Bottom