• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

Denying visible evidence is a new one.

"Cherry picking". Ok. Let's see your numbers then. Because mine say BF4 has been higher than SWBF this whole week.

"Shit on the game". These are facts. You take attacks against your favorite game quite personally.

PC: 5,455 (24h peak: 5,474)

XBOXONE: 20,836 (24h peak: 20,836)

PS4: 27,746 (24h peak: 27,746)

Total: 54,037

http://swbstats.com/

PC
Peak 24h

XBOXONE
Peak 24h

PS4
Peak 24h

http://bf4stats.com/

Yeah, this game might still be being made by the wrong people, just like the last one.
Let me get this straight. So far, we know this game has:

- Prequel content
- A single player campaign by Jade Raymond's Motive studio
- Offline modes
- A class system for infantry and vehicles
- A new resource based system for things like heroes (that is sounding pretty good)
- Sequel film content
- Reworked hero mechanics
- Added depth to gunplay
- Vehicle sections developed by Criterion

And the lack of Galactic Conquest, one mode that was requested but not at the top of most of the fanbase's wants, suddenly makes this game and all that work on it wrong?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I definitely do not agree that Battlefront 2015 had "such a low skill ceiling".

Agreed. It actually had a high skill ceiling, not as much as Battlefield sure, but I started out as an awful player and ended up consistently with very positive scores by the end of it.

Boke1879

Let me get this straight. So far, we know this game has:

- Prequel content
- A single player campaign by Jade Raymond's Motive studio
- Offline modes
- A class system for infantry and vehicles
- A new resource based system for things like heroes (that is sounding pretty good)
- Sequel film content
- Reworked hero mechanics
- Added depth to gunplay
- Vehicle sections developed by Criterion

And the lack of Galactic Conquest, one mode that was requested but not at the top of most of the fanbase's wants, suddenly makes this game and all that work on it wrong?

I don't think some people will be happy until they get a copy paste of Battlefront 2 with this graphics engine.

They gotta let go. The changes being made so far sound amazing. I can't wait to see it in action.

Cth

Jeez, the stats thing again?

Here's the games as compared two years ago:

BATTLEFRONT (vs. BATTLEFIELD 4)

PC
2,988 (vs. 16,660)
Peak 24h
8,437 (vs. 34,633)
[ Winner: BF4. Clearly PC gamers prefer this to BF ]

XBOXONE
10,584 (vs. 6,769)
Peak 24h
43,712 (vs. 28,137)
[ Winner: BF. Clearly Console gamers prefer this to BF4 ]

PS4
24,004 (vs. 25,157)
Peak 24h
70,484 (vs. 47,501)
[ Winner: Neither, edge goes to BF due to peak #s.]

CONSOLES VS. PC
PC
2,988 (vs. 16,660)
Peak 24h
8,437 (vs. 34,633)

COMBINED CONSOLES
34,588 (vs. 31,926)
Peak 24h
114,196 (vs. 75,638)
[ Winner: BF, edge goes to BF due to peak #s.]

OVERALL TOTAL:
37,576 (vs. 63,087)
Peak 24h
122,633 (vs. 110,271)
[ Winner: Neither, edge goes to BF due to larger peak #s. Snapshots in time are ridiculously easy to manipulate and therefore largely inconsequential ]​

Let's see how things have changed:
BATTLEFRONT (vs. BATTLEFIELD 4)
(NEW - 2017) BATTLEFRONT (vs. BATTLEFIELD 4)

PC
2,988 (vs. 16,660)
(NEW - 2017) 5,455 vs. 19,502
Peak 24h
8,437 (vs. 34,633)
(NEW - 2017) 5,474 vs. 19,658

[ Battlefront has a higher comparative growth compared to 2 years ago, while BF4 dropped a lot. It depends on which narrative you want to push as to who "wins". ]

XBOXONE
10,584 (vs. 6,769)
(NEW - 2017) 20,836 vs. 11,235
Peak 24h
43,712 (vs. 28,137)
(NEW - 2017) 20,836 vs. 12,502

[ Again, BF seems to win this one in terms of greater growth, less drop off ]

PS4
24,004 (vs. 25,157)
(NEW - 2017) 27,746 vs. 20,788
Peak 24h
70,484 (vs. 47,501)
(NEW - 2017) 27,746 vs. 20,889

[ Once again, BF has increased, while BF4 has decreased. Both have massive losses peakwise comparatively, with BF4 fairing better on PS4 ]

EDIT:
Totalling all playerbases for both franchises:

Battlefront:
Battlefield 4

Peak:
Battlefront:
Battlefield 4

Total: 54,037

http://swbstats.com/

PC
Peak 24h

XBOXONE
Peak 24h

PS4
Peak 24h

http://bf4stats.com/
54,037 vs 51,525.

So Battlefront is barely beating BF4 only on the weekends? A 1.5 year old game is getting matched by a 3 year old game.

You've at least proven my point that BF4 has much better player retention that SWBF. So maybe now you can see why DICE is making the changes they are to SWBF2.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I don't see why people are going through great lengths to do a numerical equivalent of a sausage fight.

Both games have healthy populations. That's all that really needs to be said.

Boke1879

54,037 vs 51,525.

So Battlefront is barely beating BF4 only on the weekends? A 1.5 year old game is getting matched by a 3 year old game.

You've at least proven my point that BF4 has much better player retention that SWBF. So maybe now you can see why DICE is making the changes they are to SWBF2.

And BF1 is shitting on both. Like you'd think most Battlefield users would migrate to the newer game.

Again. Battlefront did have an issue with player retention, but the population is healthy. You can find a game.

and they were going to make changes regardless. The two year dev cycle alluded to this.

And BF1 is shitting on both. Like you'd think most Battlefield users would migrate to the newer game.

Again. Battlefront did have an issue with player retention, but the population is healthy. You can find a game.

and they were going to make changes regardless. The two year dev cycle alluded to this.
Of course BF1 is shitting on both. It's the newest game. Why would you think I'm arguing against that?

My previous post was about player retention. I never doubted the games had a healthy enough population to find matches with.

Frostman

I don't think some people will be happy until they get a copy paste of Battlefront 2 with this graphics engine.

They gotta let go. The changes being made so far sound amazing. I can't wait to see it in action.

There's no point reasoning with people online, especially when it comes to gamers. Some will never be happy. Some will call the rest of the Battlefront series crap just because the first missed the mark.

It's just the way it is.

Pizza

I think all the changes look fucking excellent and the first game, as it stands rn, is sick.

I'm really excited for 2, and I hated 1 at launch. All the changes seem like they're for the better

Edit: also this sounds like it has the potential to be the exact same sort of sequel the first Battlefront 2 was: the first game's contents but better with more movies thrown in

There's progression in the main classes aaaand the heroes and there's cosmetic options and weapon loadout customization for all of those. You can probably decide whether you want to go Lightsaber or force lighting for sideous, for example.

I like to be a jetpack healer in BF1. If I can have that as my loadout for 1/4th of my options that's sick

If they copy/paste the first game's maps, and add maps from the prequels and sequels on top of that and also add CIS, Clones, and the First Order and associated heroes for those factions?

Idk this game sounds like it has the potential to be crazy deep and badass. The first game seems pretty balanced for the most part, so I have high hopes for this next game

JimiNutz

Banned
For those saying that there was low skill involved in the shooting mechanics of the original, have you played it recently?

I haven't played for over six months but used to be reasonably good at the game (K/D of 1.57 and win rate of 57% after 84 hrs played). Tried to play the game today and was getting outshot every time. There is definitely a significant amount of skill involved in the gunplay of the original.

Roufianos

Yea I used to rack up crazy K/D ratios, played it the other day for the first time in a year and got whooped. Of course it's skill based.

Eggbok

Idk if posted but here are The Last jedi pre-order skins!
5scrmax1.jpg

So I'm guessing the Epic Abilities are loot box drops that you can only use once. Not sure how mind control will work though. Model swap? It'd have to be done in a way that was seamless.

I wish the trailer had shown more prequel stuff outside of Darth maul.

I wanna see what playing as a battle droid is like

ROGER ROGER

but apparently since all classes across factions will be the same it'll just be similar to playing as a rebel or imperial or clone trooper for that class

:/

For those saying that there was low skill involved in the shooting mechanics of the original, have you played it recently?

I haven't played for over six months but used to be reasonably good at the game (K/D of 1.57 and win rate of 57% after 84 hrs played). Tried to play the game today and was getting outshot every time. There is definitely a significant amount of skill involved in the gunplay of the original.

The skill ceiling really is quite low, imo. I'm usually the best player in every match of the game, because I know the game inside out. I'm actually not that good at shooters, but because of the low skill ceiling, you can actually out-smart and out-DPS your opponents so long as you're careful and are able to click quickly enough.

There are a few objectively best loadouts you can use (Bacta, Shield/Adrenaline and Jetpack, with Berserker, Bodyguard or Bounty Hunter traits) which not only allow you to PTFO, but also get tonnes of kills and tank tonnes of damage. Similarly, the EE3 and the TL-50 are the best weapons. Also, you've got the issue of vehicle and hero tokens always spawning in the same place, so you can just camp the hero token and almost always end up playing as a hero at least once per match, if not once per round or more. So yeah, the game is unbalanced. Then, as long as you plan ahead, spam roll, and always engage in 1 v 1s, you will rack up a K/D in the tens or dozens.

With virtually no recoil, most weapons having easily predictable spread, shot speed and accuracy, guns take very little to master, beyond perhaps something like knowing how much damage you're dealing before any score markers pop up, or how long you have to wait before doing a quick reload, rather than watching the bar go down in your HUD.

Moreover, the maps aren't particularly complex or maze-like, and navigation is very simple. There aren't many nooks and crannies to hide it, and lines of sight tend to be restricted enough for most CQC to take place either in the open with some light cover, or in straight corridors. It's different to, say, CS or R6.

The best Battlefront players are really the ones who can roll and aim the quickest, and who know the maps and loadouts. There's not much in the way of mechanical skill, and because the game is mechanically rather shallow, there aren't many possibilities for super diverse and creative tactics. It usually boils down to "I'll engage this enemy who's going to be facing me, then the one next to them who is facing away, then I'll heal and hide while my bacta cools down".

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I assume it's a skin that changes the radar dish.
Keep forgetting about that thing flying off in ROTJ.

ROGER ROGER

but apparently since all classes across factions will be the same it'll just be similar to playing as a rebel or imperial or clone trooper for that class

:/

I expect to be killed in such a way that I fall apart like a bunch of twigs, otherwise this game is 0/10.

I'm not sure if that's a no to GC or to addressing that question directly as it's mirrored in the latter case in other subjects.

I doubt it's in

Either way, it's just a multiplayer mode. Have one person acting like it's only consisting of a campaign and no other modes, and others aren't looking much better. I think the game can be fine without it. Not like GC would've made EA Battlefront much better.

I'm guessing super battle droids and droidekas will be resource based, like heroes. Like an elite class.

yeah that's what I figured, they kind have to be

unless they make super battle droids just the normal trooper class like BF2 did iirc (of course the normal trooper class in that game varied between factions but ya know)

THEY'VE GOT SUPERS

yeah that's what I figured, they kind have to be

unless they make super battle droids just the normal trooper class like BF2 did iirc (of course the normal trooper class in that game varied between factions but ya know)

THEY'VE GOT SUPERS
As long as the super battle droids are in there, I'm happy. I want to WATCH THOSE WRIST ROCKETS
They should add in commando droids too, so that you can leap around and melee people if need be.
That would be neat. I think tactical droids would be a good fit for the officer class.

Top Bottom