• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is Star Wars Battlefront 2 - New Trailer

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This looks like a crazy improvement from the first game and I enjoyed that one a lot haha. All DLC being free makes it even better.

Dropping to half price in a week? Yeah, not happening.

The previous Battlefront got slashed by about 20 or 30% a month after release as a means of bouncing off of the TFA hype though (along with an EA sale at the time).

Might do the same for TLJ.

Olengie

Imma wait for a Black Friday deal. There is a slight chance of a discount. If not, I'll just buy it right there at Black Friday just cuz. lol

bombshell

The previous Battlefront got slashed by about 20 or 30% a month after release as a means of bouncing off of the TFA hype though (along with an EA sale at the time).

Might do the same for TLJ.

Yes, so what he hoped for is definitely not happening for Black Friday when the release is only the previous Friday.

Roshin

I mean, as a SW fan, this looks and sounds fantastic. The visuals and the audio are spot on. Then they start talking about collecting cards, crafting cards, finding stuff in boxes, etc. Fuck modern gaming, I'm old. :D

liquidtmd

Banned
Slightly OT - pre-ordered BF2 via Amazon.co.uk when they had discounts on, any idea when they issue early access Beta Codes?

Snoopycat

Banned
Fool me once. I don't give a damn about pretty graphics. I want to know if the gameplay is better because the last one was straight up trash wrapped in a pretty bow. It was laughably bad. I played it for 2 weeks. Deleted it. Total waste of money. Someone told me they actually had weapons locked behind a paywall. I don't know if that's true but I wasn't even surprised, it was such barrel scraping, low effort crap. I'll give this is a try if it's on EA Access but there's no way I'd buy it unless it's had a major overhaul.

8JaGuJ2.png

Buy this game please, look at all the content compared to the one you bought last time

I find this pretty bad, really. It seems like compared to the original games, it still doesn't have either the depth or content to match them.

They've said they've listened to the complaints with the previous game, but i really don't see how they've done that with one of the biggest complaints about the game, the lack of depth. They've added classes and something equivalent to reloading (different weapon cooldowns), but that does not do much. The classes are more just along the lines of different loadouts than actual differing roles. I've seen people say "Well the originals didn't have much depth!" but no, they definitely had a lot more depth than the new ones. The originals had mechanics that encouraged some degree of teamplay, with things like multi-crew vehicles that required dedicated anti-tank to take them on, medical and ammo droids along with players providing those things, boarding in space battles, vehicle repair, a variety of classes that were actual seperate roles for the most part etc. It seems that this game is still going to be the arcadey, simplistic "run around randomly" experience that the previous one was, despite them obviously trying to encourage more teamwork with things like the vehicle spawns and class system. From what I've seen the vehicle system for example doesn't seem to treat vehicles as much beyond a temporay powerup, it's still a mainly infantry focused game when it should be more combined-arms with the two of them just as important as each other, like Battlefield or the originals.

It's like they're trying to add more depth and teamwork without any of the systems required for those things in place, basically.

The Cross-era heroes are just absurd as well. They keep going on about how the series is supposed to be immersive and they're putting all this effort into making everything authentic and true to how it should be, and then they decide to completely go against that and shove every hero in every era.

As for the amount of content, the game has a whole additional era to work with, yet it still has fewer heroes and vehicles than the originals. The originals had around 3 or 4 vehicles per side in each era, so there were about 16 vehicles in the game and then a few additional things like Tauntauns, along with a similar amount of starships. For this to just barely reach the same amount of vehicles as the originals (although this does have hero ships as well) is not good. 14 heroes here vs 19 in the original BF2. The locations and maps definitely seem to be an improvement though at least.

I'm sure I'll still like the game and I'll get it at some point, I just don't see how they've really addressed the complaints about the game to a significant degree though. In terms of atmosphere and graphics it all looks awesome, but the amount of content and depth still doesn't seem good enough to get it to the same level as the original two games, that really isn't a good thing at all. Sure, the game will get more content added, but that's also at the cost of microtransactions being shoved into the game.

In this video at the part about the singleplayer story, the
"rise up as a new star wars hero
line heavily suggests that
she'll change sides at some point, unfortunately

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The fact that DICE are not working on the SP campaign gives me hope of a decent campaign. So looking forward to further info. Please have some space combat in the SP campaign.

Lom1lo

The only thing I dont like is the cross era hero stuff. This is just bad imo and I dont know how they can think its a good idea

It's a DICE fps campaign, you should already be worried about it
I'm pretty sure dice didn't work on it and even then BC2 was quite good so nothing wrong with hoping for a good sp.

Looks significantly better the battlefront 1 in so many ways, like for one there's some actual depth in the moment to moment shooting.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So Arcade mode is just team deathmatches like the first game? That doesn't sound very promising.

I was hoping to have the option to play the multiplayer modes offline, especially Galactic Assault, to learn the maps better before hoping online.

Marcoos

As a PS4 player (OG 😱) I don't understand why this is even a question, of course that you should choose the XBX version, it will be superior, seems like no brainer.

I know it should be a no brainer. But I've got enough PSN credit to get the deluxe edition for about £44. I was all for PS4 until they announced no VR :(

prag16

Banned
I don't understand how after all this time, there are still people saying "lulz it's gonna be a 3 hour campaign with multiplayer maps bots strung together with cutscenes". It's been said a million times that they brought on a separate studio to specifically make the single player campaign.

Though I will say the quote above has a slightly better chance of being true now that we're this close to release and they've STILL shown effectively absolutely nothing in terms of single player gameplay. -_-

prag16

Banned
Split screen on console only? Shiiiit. Would have enjoyed playing that with my son from time to time. Maybe I'll double dip cheap on PS4 down the road. But refuse to make the PS4 version my "main" when I have m/kb controls as an option on PC.

^None. Not possible with Frostbite.

That's unfortunate. Was one of the things from the previous game I was really hoping they would change. Will have to do what we did with the first game and hook up both our PS4s to monitors and go online together that way...

DMVfan123

Banned
I already know I'm going to put 50+ hours into this game so I'm on media blackout so I can walk into the game fresh
November 17th can't come any quicker

Newlove

I can't wait, I think its going to be great...I am a little sad that we haven't got these multi-crew transport ships like in the original Battlefront games:

1024full-star-wars%3A-episode-ii----attack-of-the-clones-screenshot.jpg

Flying across the battle below with your character holding onto the bar above in third person just looked cool. Those ships plus the battle on Geonosis would be great.

FN-2187

I already know I'm going to put 50+ hours into this game so I'm on media blackout so I can walk into the game fresh
November 17th can't come any quicker

It's the only game I am going to play for at least 3 months. I had some other games preordered for this Fall, but I cancelled them, because I know I won't touch them once this is out.

HotHamBoy

The only thing I dont like is the cross era hero stuff. This is just bad imo and I dont know how they can think its a good idea

Probably because it's a video game, who gives a fuck?

Think of it like one of SNK's "Dream Match" fighting games.

MADGAME

Question - arcade mode references local split screen, but can this mode also be played online with a friend?

Amazing visuals and improvement in content ---- basically what the original game should have had.

Can we expect the feel of the gameplay to be improved, though? The gameplay of the original seemed off to me and I became bored with it fast.

The game was just too "arcadey" with less strategy and more just mindless rushing forward, running & gunning, dying and repawning.

Just a very different feel from my typical CoD or other Battlefield experiences --- almost a sluggishness to the controls coupled with too-fast paced gameplay that rewards noobs.

Did anyone else notice that? Can we expect the gameplay to be improved or are they just porting the same gameplay engine and adding new maps, vehicles, skins etc and upping the texture resolution?

It's the only game I am going to play for at least 3 months. I had some other games preordered for this Fall, but I cancelled them, because I know I won't touch them once this is out.
Yeah, I cancelled my CODWW2 preorder. The next game after Battlefront II I get will be either Dragon Ball Fighter Z or Red Dead Redemption 2, whichever is first.

Question - arcade mode references local split screen, but can this mode also be played online with a friend?
As far as I know, yes. Just like Skirmish and Missions in 2015.

Voidwolf

I find this pretty bad, really. It seems like compared to the original games, it still doesn't have either the depth or content to match them.

They've said they've listened to the complaints with the previous game, but i really don't see how they've done that with one of the biggest complaints about the game, the lack of depth. They've added classes and something equivalent to reloading (different weapon cooldowns), but that does not do much. The classes are more just along the lines of different loadouts than actual differing roles.

The classes in the originals were also just different loadouts. They changed up your primary weapon, your gadget, and your player model. The original Battlefront 2 gave you a full auto blaster rifle, sniper, rocket launcher, or shot gun depending on your class, all with the same secondary blaster pistol and an explosive (thermal detonator, "C4", mine or probe droid). Then you had special units for each faction with it's own spin on one of the loadouts (jumptrooper, officer, wookie etc.). EA's BFII does the same exact thing and then adds the star card abilities on top of that. You still have your traditional Soldier with a full auto blaster rifle, an Officer class that buffs friendly units, a Sniper class, and a Heavy each with their own unique abilities to mix and match along with some universal abilities that you can swap for, and then there are special units on top of those (with some fan favorites returning like the Clone Jumptrooper and Wookie Warrior). Each class ends up serving a separate role in both games.

I've seen people say "Well the originals didn't have much depth!" but no, they definitely had a lot more depth than the new ones. The originals had mechanics that encouraged some degree of teamplay, with things like multi-crew vehicles that required dedicated anti-tank to take them on, medical and ammo droids along with players providing those things, boarding in space battles, vehicle repair, a variety of classes that were actual seperate roles for the most part etc. It seems that this game is still going to be the arcadey, simplistic "run around randomly" experience that the previous one was, despite them obviously trying to encourage more teamwork with things like the vehicle spawns and class system. From what I've seen the vehicle system for example doesn't seem to treat vehicles as much beyond a temporay powerup, it's still a mainly infantry focused game when it should be more combined-arms with the two of them just as important as each other, like Battlefield or the originals.

It's like they're trying to add more depth and teamwork without any of the systems required for those things in place, basically.

It's true, there are a few things not present in this entry, multi crew vehicles being the stand out. That would have been awesome to see implemented properly. But I disagree with the rest of your points here. If you want to take down enemy vehicles, you won't be doing it with your blaster pistol, you still have to have the right tool for the job and working with your allies will make a huge difference so don't try to claim that there's no need for tactics/team play. There's no need for ammo drops since this game doesn't have an ammo system, and with the way ammo worked in the OG BFII you never really ran out of it anyway. If you weren't near a GONK droid or an ally that could supply you, enemy kills would usually drop ammo and health so that's a moot point. Having ammo is redundant if it's nearly impossible to run out of. Also, if players choose to do so (which they will), there will be just as many vehicles and special units in play at all times for that varied infantry and combined arms feel.

And let's not pretend the old BF wasn't arcadey or easy to pick up.

Boarding in space battles. Oh boy, I remembered this being a lot cooler. All you end up do is fly a ship into the enemy hangar with minimal resistance, take out a couple of sentries that are very easy to LOS, and then kill the occasional enemy that comes your way while you unload all your explosives on the enemy cruiser's critical systems and resupply with the GONK droid that's so conveniently placed just outside. I promise you, it wasn't as fun as you remembered. Flying your ship out in space and dog-fighting while doing bombing runs was much more fun. But let's be real for a second, this is a subjective talking point. Maybe you did enjoy boarding more, but there was very little depth to it.

If you have the option to take part in infantry battles during the starfighter game type you end up splitting the players on the battlefield and most games will lean heavily towards one option. I think it would be better to do a multiphase gametype like in the Death Star DLC. I'm one of those players who loves vehicle combat, especially starfighters and I don't want my one game mode to consist of mostly shooting down bots because most players rather fight in a hangar when they could just as easily queue up for an infantry game mode.

The Cross-era heroes are just absurd as well. They keep going on about how the series is supposed to be immersive and they're putting all this effort into making everything authentic and true to how it should be, and then they decide to completely go against that and shove every hero in every era.

As for the amount of content, the game has a whole additional era to work with, yet it still has fewer heroes and vehicles than the originals. The originals had around 3 or 4 vehicles per side in each era, so there were about 16 vehicles in the game and then a few additional things like Tauntauns, along with a similar amount of starships. For this to just barely reach the same amount of vehicles as the originals (although this does have hero ships as well) is not good. 14 heroes here vs 19 in the original BF2. The locations and maps definitely seem to be an improvement though at least.

I'm not happy about the cross-era heroes either. I really do hope it's only temporary as there won't be many Prequel or Sequel heroes in the game at launch. Hopefully once more get added and each era has a decent roster, cross-era is patched out. They removed helmetless Stormtroopers from the first game so there's hope they are well aware of the issue fans have with this.

I can understand them having 4 less heroes at launch (OG BFII had 18 with Kit Fisto and Asajj Ventress being added as DLC for a total of 20), these are much more complex than the OG heroes. Each one has 3 unique abilities and unique movesets as well as tweaked weapons for those that wield blasters. In the old games most of them had a single lightsaber and two Force powers from a small pool (push, pull, saber throw, choke, or lightning, am I missing any?) Then you had a few wielding blasters that had explosives and/or a buff. I'm not a developer but I know making games takes a lot of time and effort and we know we have more heroes and units on the way via free DLC. More Prequel heroes are on the way, we know this, and we have Finn and Phasma coming in with TLJ season of DLC. The Sequel Trilogy is still so new that there aren't many heroes and villains to choose from, we may get Hux and Poe later on down the line, maybe even an Old Han and Luke skin but what else is there?

As for the ships, this game has the same ships as OG BFII. Starfighter, Interceptor, and Bombers. There are no multicrew transports, but there are hero ships which I feel are much better and more fun and I'm willing to bet more get added to the game. Each side will also have multiple ground vehicles.

I'm sure I'll still like the game and I'll get it at some point, I just don't see how they've really addressed the complaints about the game to a significant degree though. In terms of atmosphere and graphics it all looks awesome, but the amount of content and depth still doesn't seem good enough to get it to the same level as the original two games, that really isn't a good thing at all. Sure, the game will get more content added, but that's also at the cost of microtransactions being shoved into the game.

In this video at the part about the singleplayer story, the
"rise up as a new star wars hero
line heavily suggests that
she'll change sides at some point, unfortunately

In the old games, how much depth was there to the game modes? Capture and hold the majority of the points on the map and kill all your enemies in Conquest, kill all your enemies in Hunt, or Capture the Flag. The new games have actual objectives aside from killing the enemy and it makes the game much more varied.

The campaign was the same thing, kill all your enemies and hold a few points on the map and then watch a short cutscene in between each "mission" and it all took place on multiplayer maps. I'm not getting my hopes up for this new campaign but I think it will have a higher production value than the old one.

The new Battlefront II does a lot of the same things its predecessors did and much, much more. I think you're gonna be surprised at how much you end up liking this installment.

redfox088

Banned
My guess is that most of the cynics feel burned by the last game. That is only fair given what I’ve heard about BF.

Top Bottom