• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

. Seems its just the same boring dogfight mode from the last game just with space background. Really disappointed.t

Man I really wish I played the version that you did that let you take down Capital ships.....

It's obviously a lot different from the dogfight mode, you're having a bit of a knee-jerk here. They pulled an entire studio to redo flight and vehicle mechanics from the ground up so it's very possible we'll have something awesome.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sad haven't heard anything about it coming to the Switch yet. I'd love to play this on the go. Figure Switch could run the game decently at least.

Here's a general rule of thumb in regards to the Switch: If it wouldn't have released on the Wii U, it probably won't release on the Switch.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, I actually came away more impressed with that trailer than The Last Jedi.

Excising the season pass also shifted me from a "wait until discounted Ultimate Edition" to potentially day 1. And I really disliked the first game.

Boem

Holy shit, looks great!

Someone should mirror this before it gets taken down.

Also new bad guy reminds me of a mix of

Emperor_RotJ.png

+

top-star-wars-villains-ep-iii-20080417100126567-000.jpg

He's not the new bad guy. He's just a sentinel droid, his face plays a prerecorded message from the Emperor, which would get played after his death. They already showed up in the comics - specifically the post-Return of the Jedi comic 'Shattered Empire' (which focused on Poe's parents - it was a prequel comic to Force Awakens (and not very good)).

Fun that they're pulling from the comics as well though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
He's not the new bad guy. He's just a sentinel droid, his face plays a prerecorded message from the Emperor, which would get played after his death. They already showed up in the comics - specifically the post-Return of the Jedi comic 'Shattered Empire' (which focused on Poe's parents - it was a prequel comic to Force Awakens (and not very good)).

Fun that they're pulling from the comics as well though.

Oh okay interesting, didn't know that.

Ooo resource based system sounds interesting.
So no vehicles to climb in. More like a killstreak-esque system. I'm fine with this for heroes I guess, but I really wish they'd finally have given us classic Battlefield.

Yeah, something like that sounds likely. Could be something a little like Titanfall 2. Slowly filling meter that fills faster when you perform well that you can then redeem for a vehicle or hero depending on how far you let it charge and what slots are available.

I just want more heroes on the field at the same time. They seemed so rare in BF1.

Hobbes211

They really need to put vehicles back on the map. You should be able to climb into something, drive it, get out, repair it, get back in, etc. They're going to miss a huge opportunity with the space battles if they ignore the whole capital ship/landing party thing from BF2.

I don't play Battlefield.
You are a special forces soldier, depending on the level you do the typical shooter stuff and then you get put in a vehicle for a while then more foot stuff.
Sometimes when it doesn't make sense in the story it will switch you to other one-off characters for that particular level.

Call of Duty used to switch to speciallized characters for that kinda stuff as well now its the same way.
A pilot is injured and crashes so your character(a regular Navy Seal) runs and jumps in their fighter to finish their job, somehow know how to fly it.
Skip to the latest game:

Your character is a special forces soldier who are all ace pilots and on top of that is the Captain of a space aircraft carrier.

Honestly hoping the Campaign is somewhat similar to Infinite Warfare, but im guessing Lucasfilm wants more direct control than that.

They really need to put vehicles back on the map. You should be able to climb into something, drive it, get out, repair it, get back in, etc. They're going to miss a huge opportunity with the space battles if they ignore the whole capital ship/landing party thing from BF2.

This would be cool but they definitely need to rework it from BF2....it was really cool in theory but in practice it was the same interiors every time and not very interesting to do over and over.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm at a loss of words when I read that......

Post rotj the leader of the empire and founder of the first order is a black woman. How do you feel about it?

Where is this from? Comics or something? How can I get my eyes on this?

Arttemis

Class based system is so fucking great to hear!

Rumors of no Season Pass? Awesome! I hope to God doesn't mean gaming systems or time gates. If they deliver a great game free of that BS, I vow to spend more money on aesthetics than I did for the original with season pass just to support a positive product.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You are a special forces soldier, depending on the level you do the typical shooter stuff and then you get put in a vehicle for a while then more foot stuff.
Sometimes when it doesn't make sense in the story it will switch you to other one-off characters for that particular level.

Call of Duty used to switch to speciallized characters for that kinda stuff as well now its the same way.
A pilot is injured and crashes so your character(a regular Navy Seal) runs and jumps in their fighter to finish their job, somehow know how to fly it.
Skip to the latest game:

Your character is a special forces soldier who are all ace pilots and on top of that is the Captain of a space aircraft carrier.

Honestly hoping the Campaign is somewhat similar to Infinite Warfare, but im guessing Lucasfilm wants more direct control than that.

Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to bring me up to speed!

Not sure if it has mentioned here but Paul Blackthorne (Quentin Lance in Arrow) has been doing mocap for this, he is playing Gideon Hask from the Inferno squad and his voice can be heard on the trailer.

Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to bring me up to speed!

The Infinite Warfare thing would actually work pretty well for a Battlefront imo.
You are a special forces captain(Inferno Squadron in this case) the officers of your ship(Star Destroyer or whatever) die in the battle (Endor) your character gains command of your ship.
You then pick the planets to engage or sidemissions as you like.
Some missions are just dogfights while others maybe you gain Speeders, AT-ATs or AT-STs for certain battles.
And then you mix in the typical ground missions.

Example: you eventually get Jakku to open up through progression,
You arrive in the capital ship, you make your way to the hanger(maybe even get boarded) launch in your Tie->
Space battle against an enemy capital ship-> Both begin to crash on Jakku->Now you are on the surface covering ground forces and survivors-> Get shot down, foot mission to the wreckage
->jump into an AT-ST(or AT) from the wreckage and have a dedicated "tank" mission.
etc

Man I really wish I played the version that you did that let you take down Capital ships.....

It's obviously a lot different from the dogfight mode, you're having a bit of a knee-jerk here. They pulled an entire studio to redo flight and vehicle mechanics from the ground up so it's very possible we'll have something awesome.
Battle Station was a really fun mode in the Death Star DLC.

Also I'm excited that we get a brand new world, Vardos, in this game. Concept art show it as an urban environment.

Hobbes211

This would be cool but they definitely need to rework it from BF2....it was really cool in theory but in practice it was the same interiors every time and not very interesting to do over and over.

I agree with you, but they're stepping backwards in this case. I'd take a facelifted BF2 space mode over the speculation I'm hearing about vehicle pickups again.

I'd also like to see a return of galactic conquest. There has to be a way to integrate that game mode into multiplayer. Voting on systems to attack, ships to build, bonus' could be selected individually for the player.

I doubt I could be any more excited for this game, but...

If Criterion are adding in a full VR space battle/podracer game mode for Battlefront 2 (not just 1 mission), I'm buying a PSVR for this one game.

prag16

Banned
No it wasn't. It was floaty and loose.

I don't know what this means.

Lol. Get your petitions ready for a feature 5 people on neogaf will use.

I'm surprised they have local co-op on ANY version, as couch co-op is dying a slow, painful death (for non-Nintendo games). But why not include it on PC if doing the work on other platforms? It can't be a huge undertaking. Maybe I'm one of the 5 people; my son and I would have used the feature. We play splitscreen Rocket League on PC from time to time too.

So, not surprising, but still disappointing.

I'm beginning to think that PC players will complain about any feature that a console has that they don't

Nah, can't possibly because some PC (albeit probably a very small percentage) players actually want and would use the feature. Can't be that. It must just be people grasping at things to complain about. -_-

LoveCake

Class based system is so fucking great to hear!

Rumors of no Season Pass? Awesome! I hope to God doesn't mean gaming systems or time gates. If they deliver a great game free of that BS, I vow to spend more money on aesthetics than I did for the original with season pass just to support a positive product.

I loved the first game, why do people want classes though? with the way the first game was you could have full customisation and have whatever load-outs you wanted with what weapons you wanted instead a class system restricts this choice and customisation.

If there is no season pass there is will just be stand-alone DLC or micro-transactions I would have thought, in the first game you had people with the season pass and people without and I think that the majority had the season pass, I don't like the season pass myself but I would rather have it all bundled together (and at a cheaper price) than everything all having to be purchased individually, I can see that there will be different skins and weapons that people can purchase instead of having to unlock them as you progressed levels and purchased with game credits that were earn when playing the game, not having a season pass doesn't mean there won't be any DLC, I think that there is going to be even more DLC in this game.

As I mentioned I loved the original and put in well over one hundred hours into it and reached the top level, I am though worried about what I have heard so far about this sequel, I want it closer to the first game and less like Battlefield 1 which I didn't like at all.

SomTervo

The Infinite Warfare thing would actually work pretty well for a Battlefront imo.
You are a special forces captain(Inferno Squadron in this case) the officers of your ship(Star Destroyer or whatever) die in the battle (Endor) your character gains command of your ship.
You then pick the planets to engage or sidemissions as you like.
Some missions are just dogfights while others maybe you gain Speeders, AT-ATs or AT-STs for certain battles.
And then you mix in the typical ground missions.

Example: you eventually get Jakku to open up through progression,
You arrive in the capital ship, you make your way to the hanger(maybe even get boarded) launch in your Tie->
Space battle against an enemy capital ship-> Both begin to crash on Jakku->Now you are on the surface covering ground forces and survivors-> Get shot down, foot mission to the wreckage
->jump into an AT-ST(or AT) from the wreckage and have a dedicated "tank" mission.
etc

This sounds really cool on paper but I wouldn't get your hopes up. This is a game that they want millions of people to play so they'll probably cater to the lowest common denominator. I doubt there'll be much strategy or depth to level selection and structure.

No it wasn't. It was floaty and loose.

Incorrect. And I'm not a big fan of the game.

ffvorax

I love SW but I don't MP games (I know there is a SP campaign this time), so I won't buy dayone as the previous, that I actually played not much...

But the game looks as good as before, maybe even better! :)

Hope the SP will be fun.

Ferr986

So no vehicles to climb in. More like a killstreak-esque system. I'm fine with this for heroes I guess, but I really wish they'd finally have given us classic Battlefield.

eeek, this SUCKS. I'll rather have Battlefront 1 system.

I was rather bad with footsoldiers on Battlefront 1, but I would say rather good with vehicles. With this system I'm just fucked lol

CEJames

Isn't it awesome when the community is actually listened to by companies/developers?

Bet this will sell more than the first one did, even with its season pass.

#ReturnToGloryDays

This sounds really cool on paper but I wouldn't get your hopes up. This is a game that they want millions of people to play so they'll probably cater to the lowest common denominator. I doubt there'll be much strategy or depth to level selection and structure..
That entire suggestion was based on the latest COD, there is no lower common denominator.
Guess a tad of old Battlefront Galactic Conquest as well.

Isurus

Compelling argument.

The actual movement/shooting mechanics were nearly flawless, it was all the bullshit balancing outside of that that brought the final product down.

Completely agree with you. I put a lot of time into the first game and, IMO, the movement and gunplay mechanics were a thing of beauty. However, the game was almost...over-balanced if I can call it that. It also desperately needed a class system because after a few months everyone was using the jet pack.

I'm one of the few that really, really enjoyed the first game. Looking forward to an improved version later this year.

Top Bottom