• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

Jake2by4

If the shooting is standard ADS crap now then they listened to the hotshit loudmouths who sucked at the first game and wanted it to be a Battlefield reskin because they didn't understand the mechanics of the game.

Yea just finished reading the MP info. I don't know how I feel about some of these changes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not sure how I feel about a full ADS addition in this. I don't mind ADS at all but I liked the arcadey feel of the first game. It felt different. I hope the vehicles are still easy to fly.

giphy.gif

So how is this gonna work?

Like BF1 most likely

There can be a certain number of vehicles on the map and if there are spots open you can choose to spawn as a pilot/driver.

MADGAME

I guess the best we can hope for with ADS is that hip fire is still effective at closer and mid ranges, but ADS becomes necessary for mid-long and long ranges.

If the above is true, I wouldn't be too upset as in the first game you can hip fire with accuracy from all but the longest distances which was a bit cheesy in my opinion.

As long as they keep hip fire relevant I'll be okay with it. Like many other details revealed so far, I'll hope for the best but expect the worse.

Nekrono

If the shooting is standard ADS crap now then they listened to the hotshit loudmouths who sucked at the first game and wanted it to be a Battlefield reskin because they didn't understand the mechanics of the game.

What mechanics? First game was extremely easy to aim and shoot, I stopped playing it because of the lack of skill ceiling, game was so accessible and casual that became boring after a month or so for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What mechanics? First game was extremely easy to aim and shoot, I stopped playing it because of the lack of skill ceiling, game was so accessible and casual that became boring after a month or so for me.

Whenever I see talk of skill ceilings like this, I realize how little I have in common with most people who regularly play competitive MP.

Some new details

Wont be able to land and take off on vehicles.

Gunplay changed towards Battlefield style. Slightly more difficult to learn.

ADS and hip fire will be effected now unlike BF1.

Attachments for weapons.

Not all classes have jump packs. Very specific to certain classes.

Some of these changes suggest they really either don't care or don't realize what made the original Battlefront games what there were. No taking off in vehicles/ships, Jetpacks being prevalent (even if they're limited to a certain class, unless that class has a limited amount per side they'll still be everywhere), attachments for weapons (something which as far as i know isn't really that much of a thing in Star Wars, instead there are weapon variants)...the biggest problem however is how ADS is now something that'll matter.

It seems like they really didn't learn. They should either go for full star wars Battlefield, or stick with what a Battlefront game is supposed to play like, not some weird mix of the two.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Some new details

Taken from Battlefront updates.

https://youtu.be/d0jyK6QnvH8

Summary:

SP

Inferno Squad, an elite imperial unit. Different character in the squad have unique abilities.

Campaign set from ROTJ spanning a period of 30 years, ends before force awakens. Story ties into various new canon media.

Elements of choice in the campaign.

Back droid is MC companion, has neat tricks.

Has a progression system in SP, SP progression is for SP unlocks only.

Dogfights and space battles in SP.

Play as Luke and Kylo in campaign, briefly. See Iden from their perspective.

Vardos, new planet, willingly joined the empire. Urban in set up.

MP

Everything will have progression. Heros, soldiers, ships etc. A lot of unlocks to promote longevity

No more pickups, but more opportunities for more 'skilled' players to become heros. Though everyone would get a chance.

No vehicle pickups!

Lightsaber combat drastically changed. Reworked melee system.

Reworked core hero mechanics.

No squad system, but a new cool system for parties.

A LOT of customisation, both cosmetic and gameplay.

No dynamic destruction like in Battlefield.

Heros will have a rock, paper, scissor system. Depending on the situation one maybe weaker/stronger.

Attachments for weapons.

Rolling will return.

Offline SP will be substantially different from MP/SP elements.

But will there be bots for offline multiplayer?

Raide

Glad to see the Class Stuff being added. Will make it feel less like a StarWars skinned CoD game. Was hoping for a Medic class that uses droids, Bacta etc to heal.

Also happy to hear shooting is getting an upgrade. Need some more depth. Turned into a mindless grind when you hit high levels and nothing is there to unlock. Also, more than 2 or 3 guns bring viable would be nice.

Interested to see what direction they take vehicles but it won't matter to the majority that stick to Blast.

Hero stuff sounds fun. I wonder if they will stop multiple Yoda's running around. 🤣

Will have to see how the changes end up working but I am waaaaaaaaaaaay interested in BF2 in a way that the first never grabbed me (beyond its initial "we're making a new Battlefront" announcement)

Nekrono

Whenever I see talk of skill ceilings like this, I realize how little I have in common with most people who regularly play competitive MP.

It's true though, I bet more casual players and especially the ones playing on consoles felt pretty good just running around shooting, and in all honesty I think it was quite enjoyable for them but for most competitive players the game was incredibly flat and boring due to this, there was no real skill involved.

This was a major critique from a lot of people that usually enjoy more skill based shooters, maybe not to the extent of Counter Strike but definitely something less arcady and with more depth like the Battlefield series (except BF1 since I believe that one is the most arcady of them all).

I used to play a ton of Battlefield and Call of Duty (still do a little bit) and one of the biggest draws of the 2015 Battlefront was that it was a different kind of shooter from them. The focus was on fun and not nailbiting sweaty tryhard competition.

Yet those people bitched and now it looks like we may just get another factory line shooter. Really fucking sucks we can't have anything unique anymore.

MilkyJoe

There's a singleplayer campaign, but also a bunch of co-op/solo type content (think things like horde mode) that is more similar to the multiplayer in terms of how it works.

I'm hoping for offline "skirmish" the survival missions were terrible.

Nekrono

I used to play a ton of Battlefield and Call of Duty (still do a little bit) and one of the biggest draws of the 2015 Battlefront was that it was a different kind of shooter from them. The focus was on fun and not nailbiting sweaty tryhard competition.

Yet those people bitched and now it looks like we may just get another factory line shooter. Really fucking sucks we can't have anything unique anymore.

Those people that "bitch" are the ones that keep the game alive though. A game might look pretty and be "fun" like you said but if there is no competition or skill ceiling in a MP environment it's gonna fall flat and be brushed off by other MP games that rely more on this aspect as it promotes more investment from the player and offers more depth in the gameplay to be coming back for more and become better.

Those people that "bitch" though are the ones that keep the game alive though. A game might be pretty and "fun" like you said but if there is no competition or skill ceiling in a MP environment it's gonna fall flat and be brushed off by other MP games that rely more on this aspect as it promotes more investment from the player and offers more depth in the gameplay to be coming back for more and become better.
The 2015 game has maintained a steady playerbase of about 25k concurrent peak players on PS4. That might not be as much as Battlefield 1 (and why would it be, being two years old?) but it's a significant amount.

So I guess only zombies are playing.

Also, a skill ceiling can be raised without needing to change the core hipfire and mobility focused gameplay.

a916

This is the biggest bummer for me because it implies a lack of troop transports.

Honestly, I don't like spawning in vehicles. I kind of like being able to see the vehicles and then coming in and getting in one. At least this time, you might be able to jump out.

Those power ups made it feel too detached.

I didn't think it was as fun as the classic games, but it also wasn't as fun as other modern shooters. If they're going to go in a different direction I'd rather they go all in instead of something middling that doesn't really please either audience

Classes will make the biggest difference if done properly

Nekrono

The 2015 game has maintained a steady playerbase of about 25k concurrent peak players on PS4. That might not be as much as Battlefield 1 (and why would it be, being two years old?) but it's a significant amount.

So I guess only zombies are playing.

Also, a skill ceiling can be raised without needing to change the core hipfire and mobility focused gameplay.

Sure, a small community is playing the game still but that does not make it popular nor is the goal I would assume for DICE or EA, the game had a serious issue with massive player base drops just a few month after release, this was also a major problem with BF1, which was also more arcady and casual than previous iterations, you can definitely see a trend here.

There's a reason why major youtubers and fans of Battlefield and DICE games critiqued BF1 and BF so much for being too casual, they are now asking that these franchises become more skill based with a higher skill ceiling so people actually feel they are becoming better and play more and hopefully avoid this community drop. On the opposite end you have more skill based games increasing their community like Rainbow Six Siege, which is what developers should focus, increasing the community in the long term instead of having a rush of people at the start just to leave the game to die after a month or two after release.

Also, I did not mention anything about ADS, etc, I just said that they need to increase the skill ceiling and to be honest I don't really care how they do it or if they have to be "unfaithful" to the franchise, if it's for the sake of making the game more engaging and have people feel like they have something to work for instead of mindlessly run around shooting people I'm all down for it.

prag16

Banned
Gunplay changed towards Battlefield style.

FUCK

I better to be able to shoot accurately while moving. That was such a breath of fresh air with the first game. If that's gone, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

Yep.

When I read that bullet list, I was like "oh man, where SG-17 at..."

Really hope our worst fears with regard to this game aren't coming to pass. But sure sounds like it. Unless the campaign is incredible, this is definitely no longer a day 1 buy for me.

Do we still have no info on the length of the campaign? If it's 6 hour Battlefield fare, outch.

Alexious

Some new details

Taken from Battlefront updates.

https://youtu.be/d0jyK6QnvH8

Summary:

SP

Inferno Squad, an elite imperial unit. Different character in the squad have unique abilities.

Campaign set from ROTJ spanning a period of 30 years, ends before force awakens. Story ties into various new canon media.

Elements of choice in the campaign.

Back droid is MC companion, has neat tricks.

Has a progression system in SP, SP progression is for SP unlocks only.

Dogfights and space battles in SP.

Play as Luke and Kylo in campaign, briefly. See Iden from their perspective.

Vardos, new planet, willingly joined the empire. Urban in set up.

MP

Everything will have progression. Heros, soldiers, ships etc. A lot of unlocks to promote longevity

No more pickups, but more opportunities for more 'skilled' players to become heros. Though everyone would get a chance.

No vehicle pickups!

Lightsaber combat drastically changed. Reworked melee system.

Reworked core hero mechanics.

No squad system, but a new cool system for parties.

A LOT of customisation, both cosmetic and gameplay.

No dynamic destruction like in Battlefield.

Heros will have a rock, paper, scissor system. Depending on the situation one maybe weaker/stronger.

Attachments for weapons.

Rolling will return.

Offline SP will be substantially different from MP/SP elements.

Excellent news with the exception of landing/taking off with vehicles, which isn't that big for me anyway, and the lack of a squad system. I hope they have something good enough to replace it.

Lokimaru

Sentinel droids were dispatched to trusted officers with instructions as part of Operation Cinder and the wider Contingency in accordance with Palpatine's secret plan to wreck the galaxy in the advent of his death. They're featured in Shattered Empire and Aftermath.

So Sheev tried to pull a Megatron and blow up the electrum?

Yea just finished reading the MP info. I don't know how I feel about some of these changes.

Not sure how I feel about a full ADS addition in this. I don't mind ADS at all but I liked the arcadey feel of the first game. It felt different. I hope the vehicles are still easy to fly.

Like BF1 most likely

There can be a certain number of vehicles on the map and if there are spots open you can choose to spawn as a pilot/driver.

Whats ADS again?

edit: nevermind aim down sites. This is all good news. Population might not drop like flies this time.

Any info on how exactly the hero and vehicles will be acquired?

I see that more 'skilled' players will have the opportunity to be the hero, but everyone can still get a chance.

What hell does that mean exactly?

No more vehicle pick ups. Are they just going to spawn at a selected location? Sure hope not. Just going to have the same people camping the vehicle spawns like Battlefield.

As long as hip firing is still viable, ADS doesn't seem like too much of an issue.

Really hope this doesn't turn into a Battlefield re-skin. Always found the modern Battlefield games rather boring. Haven't played Battlefield One though.

I see that more 'skilled' players will have the opportunity to be the hero, but everyone can still get a chance.

No more vehicle pick ups. Are they just going to spawn at a selected location? Sure hope not. Just going to have the same people camping the vehicle spawns like Battlefield.

As long as hip firing is still viable, ADS doesn't seem like too much of an issue.

Really hope this doesn't turn into a Battlefield re-skin. Always found the modern Battlefield games rather boring. Haven't played Battlefield One though.

BF1 is great and is arguably much less hardcore than the previous ones.

Planes appear at and as a spawn location when one is available. You simply select it and youll spawn in it.

Hip firing is viable in BF1 as well, although it depends on the gun. Some are better than others.

Battlefield as lasted as long as it has because its great and BF1 is probably the best BF Dice have made so far. Its incredible. I have over 150 hours already and i keep going back. If its anything like that (which it sounds like it is) and with Star Wars, considering me sold.

And thank god they got rid of those stupid pickups. What a dumb gameplay design the first battlefront had.

Alienous

I'm expecting a Halo 5 Warzone system. In that game you earn random cards by playing, and these cards can be used (which destroys them) to call in the associated item (vehicles or power-weapons).

That would fit with no more vehicle and hero pickups - it could be a case where more skilled players earn more cards, ergo they play as heroes more often. It would also give them a ton of stuff to monetize with mico-transactions, considering that there will be no Season Pass.

I'm not sure how else they'd do it.

I'm expecting a Halo 5 Warzone system. In that game you earn random cards by playing, and these cards can be used (which destroys them) to call in the associated item (vehicles or power-weapons).

That would fit with no more vehicle and hero pickups - it could be a case where more skilled players earn more cards, ergo they play as heroes more often. It would also give them a ton of stuff to monetize with mico-transactions, considering that there will be no Season Pass.

That doesn't sound bad at all. I'd be game for something like that.

I've always felt the heroes should be a random process. Even with pickups, they still spawn in the same locations.

I may have to try BF1 based on the prior post as well.

Thanks.

Toa TAK

Banned
Honestly, BFII could've been just one big expansion to the original with an added SP, and I would've been happy.

Don't really want Battlefield in the latest Battlefront.

smisk

As someone who only played a few hours of the first game's beta, just the SP campaign sounds interesting enough that I'll probably buy this. Also no season pass/map packs sounds great.

Like BF1 most likely

Yep, that's most likely. I'm actually okay with it.

I do miss physically hopping into a vehicle, but then again it always felt so stupid watching everyone zerg-rush the vehicles at the beginning of a match. Watching people wait around the vehicle spawn area always felt like a waste, too.

This way isn't as immersive but it's smoother for gamplay.

That sounds okay as long as they don't make every god damn thing in the universe a rare drop or microtransaction. I don't want to have to grind for 6 weeks just to unlock the ability to use Darth Vader a couple times. If they're more generous with the drops, and dont split every card into 25 meaningless bullshit variants, then that's okay. Halo 5 killed me with that shit. It was so annoying I stopped caring about them altogether.

WillyFive

Locking jetpacks to a specific class is an interesting idea, but I would rather there not be any jetpacks at all.

Yep, that's most likely. I'm actually okay with it.

I do miss physically hopping into a vehicle, but then again it always felt so stupid watching everyone zerg-rush the vehicles at the beginning of a match. Watching people wait around the vehicle spawn area always felt like a waste, too.

This way isn't as immersive but it's smoother for gamplay.

BF1 got rid of landing and takeoff, but people still do the same behavior; only difference is that they wait in the spawn screen now. At least with takeoff and landing there is an immersion factor.

Boke1879

I'm still hype for all of this. Nothing sounds bad.

Seems like gunplay takes a bit more skill.

Taking off a landing not being in is a bit of a bummer, but it's not something that'll put me off of the game.

I'm just glad everything is deeper. Player retention should be good.

Top Bottom