• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

DeaDPo0L84

I sincerely dont understand why they cant just make the game the fans want instead of trying to appeal to a different crowd that will only play this till the next shooter comes along.

royox

Any info on how exactly the hero and vehicles will be acquired?

I see that more 'skilled' players will have the opportunity to be the hero, but everyone can still get a chance.

What hell does that mean exactly?

Maybe the Original Battlefront 2 style.

After some minutes the players with the higher scores of both teams got the option to play as hero, when they die it's turn for the 2nd player...then the 3rd, 4th etc.

Gamezone

Gold Member
"Fans should expect something similar to Skirmish mode from SWBFEA1" - allegedly said by Niklas Fegraeus, creative director SWBFEA2 (according to StarWarsHQ)

Nicko

Any word on if additional VR missions would be included for PSVR owners?? That single mission added last year was seriously awesome. I would love to play a full campaign like that.

I sincerely dont understand why they cant just make the game the fans want instead of trying to appeal to a different crowd that will only play this till the next shooter comes along.

I don't get it either. It sounds like what we're getting is some weird halfway point between Battlefield and Battlefront (the originals) but being unable to decide what it actually wants to be means it probably won't live up to either series - it should either go full Star Wars Battlefield, or back to how Battlefront 1/2/3 were, not some strange mix of the two. Despite all these new additions it still doesn't sound like an improvement on the original series.

I mean, that's what they want though. You playing the game for 10 years makes them substantially less money then 20 mil people buying it day 1.

They only want you to play for, at most, 2 - 3 years, until Battlefront 3 comes out.

Warablo

Some new details

Taken from Battlefront updates.

https://youtu.be/d0jyK6QnvH8

Summary:

SP

Inferno Squad, an elite imperial unit. Different character in the squad have unique abilities.

Campaign set from ROTJ spanning a period of 30 years, ends before force awakens. Story ties into various new canon media.

Elements of choice in the campaign.

Back droid is MC companion, has neat tricks.

Has a progression system in SP, SP progression is for SP unlocks only.

Dogfights and space battles in SP.

Play as Luke and Kylo in campaign, briefly. See Iden from their perspective.

Vardos, new planet, willingly joined the empire. Urban in set up.

MP

Everything will have progression. Heros, soldiers, ships etc. A lot of unlocks to promote longevity

No more pickups, but more opportunities for more 'skilled' players to become heros. Though everyone would get a chance.

No vehicle pickups!

Wont be able to land and take off on vehicles.

Lightsaber combat drastically changed. Reworked melee system.

Reworked core hero mechanics.

Gunplay changed towards Battlefield style. Slightly more difficult to learn.

ADS and hip fire will be effected now unlike BF1.

No squad system, but a new cool system for parties.

A LOT of customisation, both cosmetic and gameplay.

No dynamic destruction like in Battlefield.

Heros will have a rock, paper, scissor system. Depending on the situation one maybe weaker/stronger.

Attachments for weapons.

Not all classes have jump packs. Very specific to certain classes.

Rolling will return.

Offline SP will be substantially different from MP/SP elements.
I might be in the minority but I like these changes. Battlefront 1 was so shallow.

Timu

Didn't people complain about 2015 Battlefront not playing like Battlefield? Now 2017 Battlefront 2 does and I guess people want it to play like 2015 Battlefront.

Can't please everyone I guess.

WillyFive

Didn't people complain about 2015 Battlefront not playing like Battlefield? Now 2017 Battlefront 2 does and I guess people want it to play like 2015 Battlefront.

Can't please everyone I guess.

DICE getting the series has thrown so many people off since the first one was announced, with people instantly forgetting that Battlefront had always been a Battlefield clone as part of its basic premise up till that point. Now a year later you got a bunch of people that want it to be like the original games (aka Battlefield with Star Wars) and now you got a bunch of people that want it like the 2015 game.

Either way, as far as player numbers are concerned, the 2015 gameplay was a mistake; so going back to classic Battlefront (aka Battlefield) gameplay is a logical move (one I didn't even expect them to make). Too bad for fans of the 2015 game, but they alone can't even keep the original game modes alive.

I would like if they have special classes instead of the standard 4 class system. Jetpack would be reserved for some of the special classes.

Kin5290

The single player campaign looks really cool. I love that it's from the perspective of an Empire soldier.
I really hate this. This constant Empire fellatio is tiring, and it's indicative of the fact that people aren't opposed to fascists at all as long as their gear is cool.

Give me a New Republic Special forces trooper instead. The ones in the now defunct EU were basically ODSTs and kicked tons of ass.

adj_noun

SP

Inferno Squad, an elite imperial unit. Different character in the squad have unique abilities.

Campaign set from ROTJ spanning a period of 30 years, ends before force awakens. Story ties into various new canon media.

Elements of choice in the campaign

One of those choices had better be whether or not to join the filthy Rebel scum so I can say no. Those terrorists shall not prevail!

Gamezone

Gold Member
I really the woman you play as in the campaign doesn`t grow a conscience half way trough the story, and join the rebels. It`s so typical Star Wars.

I really hate this. This constant Empire fellatio is tiring, and it's indicative of the fact that people aren't opposed to fascists at all as long as their gear is cool.

Give me a New Republic Special forces trooper instead. The ones in the now defunct EU were basically ODSTs and kicked tons of ass.

Some of the more interesting books on Nazi Germany I've read are the ones that peel back the layers from normal life to the ugliness underneath before it spilled out, such as In The Garden of Beasts.

The player character was born and raised on a planet that willingly joined the Empire without threat of force. Seems like an interesting point to see how someone would be so oblivious to the Empire's true colors and be that devoted.

Seems inevitable the player will turn on The First Order after certain revelations and hard truths. But maybe not and we get to feel disgusted about ourselves to the end.

That's like saying people aren't opposed to murderers because they enjoy Dexter or The Punisher or American Psycho or hell, Maniac

jdstorm

Banned
Some of the more interesting books on Nazi Germany I've read are the ones that peel back the layers from normal life to the ugliness underneath before it spilled out, such as In The Garden of Beasts.

The player character was born and raised on a planet that willingly joined the Empire without threat of force. Seems like an interesting point to see how someone would be so oblivious to the Empire's true colors and be that devoted.

Seems inevitable the player will turn on The First Order after certain revelations and hard truths. But maybe not and we get to feel disgusted about ourselves to the end.

Lets also not forget that "The Empire won the PR battle of the clone wars" The Jedi were blamed for the galaxy being at war and to the vast majority of the galaxy, the Empire were the good guys. Joining the empire was a nobel task about restoring order to a galaxy that the Jedi, with their "Ancient Religion and Hokey Weapons" were the bad guys. Despite that not being the actual truth, it was the accepted truth by most in the galaxy post RotS.

The OT films only take place over a few years so anyone who had reached a significant rank had likely been a child during the clone wars and a member of the imperial millitary for close to a decade, only 5 or so of which would have included the OT.

Even Han in A New Hope echo's many of these sentiments despite not being one for rules or authority. Its pretty pervasive and shows how the empire has come to have the power it does.

After more thought on the rhetoric of various YouTubers and media outlets that have reported the information regarding the gunplay of the game, it seems like DICE is striking a balance between hipfire gunplay (SW:BF) and ADS gunplay (BF1, BF4 etc) making both viable. Which means you'll still be able to move and shoot at close to medium distances, whilst ADS will provide significant advantages at longer ranges. I think a delicate balance can definitely be struck; it did feel bizarre to fire off super long shots in the first Battlefront with near pinpoint accuracy from the hip (mainly because that shit hasn't been around since the 90's LOL). But for close to medium ranges, it felt spectacular imo. So I'm going to give DICE the benefit of the doubt until we see concrete gameplay.

Just rambling. Maybe I'm hoping for too much. I just want to be able to move and shoot, man!

Kin5290

That's like saying people aren't opposed to murderers because they enjoy Dexter or The Punisher or American Psycho or hell, Maniac
There are cops riding around on American streets with the Punisher skull on their car. Special forces operators venerate the Punisher for being a killing machine. Hell, I saw in an article somewhere that even Islamist terrorists tool around with Punisher skulls on their kit because he's such a badass killer.
That's probably a bad example.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Or maybe, just maybe there are hundreds of games where you play as the Jedi/Rebellion. I say give me more Empire focused games.

MilkyJoe

Not sure if this has been posted, bunch of concept art for locations

http://imgur.com/a/CXSCl

Edit now I'm at work

Will Yavin replace Endor?

SRHPcYu.jpg

I don't like the movie, but I like the location

Xl6Ovm1.jpg

And we've seen this place in the tralier

OErWtIl.jpg

CEJames

Any word on if additional VR missions would be included for PSVR owners?? That single mission added last year was seriously awesome. I would love to play a full campaign like that.

Yes, the VR mission in Battlefront was really good. Now, if they can use the new gun peripheral that will come out with Farpoint, to create a VR mission(s)/or full campaign by allowing us to be a storm trooper/rebel with it, that'd be amazing.

Or maybe, just maybe there are hundreds of games where you play as the Jedi/Rebellion. I say give me more Empire focused games.

The last two console games were empire focused, or at best mixed(Force Unleashed). What was the last console game that you played as the rebellion primarily as? Lego Star Wars? Rouge Squadron 3 on the gamecube in 2003(Jedi Academy in 2003)? The PSP Battlefront games? Battlefront 2 was Empire Focused. Battlefront 1 was mixed. Force unleashed was mixed. Republic Commando was Republic. Bounty Hunter was third party. Kinect Star Wars was bad game. Jedi Starfighter was Republic. Ktor/Tor was Old Republic.

I mean I'm indifferent, Next years game is probably rebellion related, or it will give you the choice to be, but unless you go back to the 90's, modern games haven't been primarily rebellion. That's incorrect. I want a straight Rebellion game that's not a ship game. A republic commando type game following a squadron of rebels with their own history and motivations. There aren't "hundreds" of those games.

Kin5290

As posted earlier, this is completely false. Come to think of it, the OG Star Wars Battlefront 2 was Republic/Empire focused. There aren't many story based games at all focusing on Rebellion/New Republic infantry, just the Jedi. And frankly following a Rebel trooper as she fights the Empire as an insurgent and then as an infantry woman of the New Republican Army would be a lot more interesting than yet another Imperial narrative. There's a lot more worldbuilding opportunity there.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The last two console games were empire focused, or at best mixed(Force Unleashed). What was the last console game that you played as the rebellion primarily as? Lego Star Wars? Rouge Squadron 3 on the gamecube in 2003(Jedi Academy in 2003)? The PSP Battlefront games? Battlefront 2 was Empire Focused. Battlefront 1 was mixed. Force unleashed was mixed. Republic Commando was Republic. Bounty Hunter was third party. Kinect Star Wars was bad game. Jedi Starfighter was Republic. Ktor/Tor was Old Republic.

I mean I'm indifferent, Next years game is probably rebellion related, or it will give you the choice to be, but unless you go back to the 90's, modern games haven't been primarily rebellion. That's incorrect. I want a straight Rebellion game that's not a ship game. A republic commando type game following a squadron of rebels with their own history and motivations. There aren't "hundreds" of those games.

As posted earlier, this is completely false. Come to think of it, the OG Star Wars Battlefront 2 was Republic/Empire focused. There aren't many story based games at all focusing on Rebellion/New Republic infantry, just the Jedi. And frankly following a Rebel trooper as she fights the Empire as an insurgent and then as an infantry woman of the New Republican Army would be a lot more interesting than yet another Imperial narrative. There's a lot more worldbuilding opportunity there.

Okay, let me rephrase, the amount of games that allow you to play as the ''good guys'' vastly outnumber games where you can play as the ''bad guys''. Not to mention other media like books, comics, tv shows. Getting to see the SW universe through the perspective of the villains is more interesting IMO.

Plasma

Banned
Yes, the VR mission in Battlefront was really good. Now, if they can use the new gun peripheral that will come out with Farpoint, to create a VR mission(s)/or full campaign by allowing us to be a storm trooper/rebel with it, that'd be amazing.
Or just use the move controller as a lightsaber

So I still cant figure out if vehicles will be on the map for one to find and enter/exit, or not ?

I think we might see a situation with both. Basically flying vehicles and large ground based vehicles like AT-ATs will probably be something we spawn into, but things like imperial tanks, speeder bikes, AT-STs and Tauntauns will spawn on the map for players to use.

Didn't they say no to that?

I dont know, I havent seen a clear statement either way. Thats why I'm asking.

Not having vahicles like 1 might be the only thing that would make me strongly consider not getting it. Thought 1 was great in other aspcts, but hated that particular aspect.

Edit:

I think we might see a situation with both. Basically flying vehicles and large ground based vehicles like AT-ATs will probably be something we spawn into, but things like imperial tanks, speeder bikes, AT-STs and Tauntauns will spawn on the map for players to use.

This is what I'm hoping for. I fully understand that AT AT's aren't placed around. You need a whole platform to embark. But regular vehicles like you mention. They should be there.

Drencrom

Wait, being excited to see a SW game through the perspective of an Empire soldier means that you aren't opposed to fascism?

That's a pretty nonsensical argument. Do you also think that people that like playing games where you actively engage in a war and kill (like in Battlefront) means that they aren't opposed to war and think that murdering people in real life is okay?

Hobbes211

I really hate this. This constant Rebellion fellatio is tiring, and it's indicative of the fact that people aren't opposed to terrorists at all as long as their gear is cool.

Give me an Empire Special forces trooper instead. The ones in the now defunct EU were basically ODSTs and kicked tons of ass.

Seems kinda silly now, doesn't it.

The 2015 game has maintained a steady playerbase of about 25k concurrent peak players on PS4. That might not be as much as Battlefield 1 (and why would it be, being two years old?) but it's a significant amount.
Stop spreading lies. The game has been hovering below 20k players for weeks now. http://swbstats.com
PC: 3,299 (24h peak: 4,870)

XBOXONE: 14,838 (24h peak: 15,158)

PS4: 16,905 (24h peak: 18,888)

Total: 35,042

Meanwhile, BF4, a 4 year old game, has had more concurrent players even when you discount PS3 and 360.
https://bf4stats.com
PC
Peak 24h
PS3
Peak 24h
XBOX360
Peak 24h
XBOXONE
Peak 24h
PS4
Peak 24h
Total: 50,392

Seems to me BF4 has had a much better job at retaining players.

Stop spreading lies. The game has been hovering below 20k players for weeks now. http://swbstats.com

Meanwhile, BF4, a 4 year old game, has had more concurrent players even when you discount PS3 and 360.
https://bf4stats.com

Seems to me BF4 has had a much better job at retaining players.
Friday evening, Saturday all day, Sunday all day, and all day Monday it hovered around 25k on the PS4. That's only slightly above average for the weekend. Battlefront has consistently higher numbers than BF4 on the PS4, don't cherrypick just to shit on the game.

Friday evening, Saturday all day, Sunday all day, and all day Monday it hovered around 25k on the PS4. That's only slightly above average for the weekend. Battlefront has consistently higher numbers than BF4 on the PS4, don't cherrypick just to shit on the game.
Denying visible evidence is a new one.

"Cherry picking". Ok. Let's see your numbers then. Because mine say BF4 has been higher than SWBF this whole week.

"Shit on the game". These are facts. You take attacks against your favorite game quite personally.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Battlefield 4 did have a bit of a resurgence when it sold for $5 last year and also started giving away paid dlc for free. Its also a 3.5 year old game at this point.

IIRC Battlefront online population nose-dived fast. Although players in the tens of thousands is still a decent number. A lot of games wish they could maintain that amount.

Top Bottom