• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•11-13•16 - Strange guy and Trolls win, beat out female-lead Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the numbers fall down a bit for Friday, and the weekend comes in around mid 60's. There's a decent chance it ends up with only $150M domestically. That's probably the worst case scenario for Beasts, but I wonder if that would get WB to reevaluate their four sequels.

I can see them leaning harder into the Harry Potter connection. I've talked to casual Harry Potter fans that didn't pick up on that. And my immediate reaction was, what, how? But I guess I can see it.

Slayven

I can see them leaning harder into the Harry Potter connection. I've talked to casual Harry Potter fans that didn't pick up on that. And my immediate reaction was, what, how? But I guess I can see it.

Thats what I been saying, the causal fans might not be picking up on that. But I see the new commercials have people talking abotu Hogwarts and Dumbdore.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I don't think we can say that Fox can make films without XMen (or a variation such as X-Force or X2) in the title and keep the rights. I believe swiss question was if Fox made Deadpool, Wolverine, Gambit, Storm, etc and didn't make an "XMen" titled movie for 10 years, would they still keep the rights? I think the answer is no, but I don't know for sure.

Deadpool wouldn't be considered in the larger X-Men contract due to the IP being sold off first to Artisan, and then New Line being brought on board to only be then sold off to FOX, but I understand the larger premise of your question.

Here's some of the 1993 contract exerts that were released when FOX and Marvel went head to head for the Mutant X court dispute:
The Agreement grants Marvel "all rights in the `X-Men' comic book series ... which Fox may require in order to produce, distribute, exploit, advertise, promote and publicize, ... in and by any and all manner, media, devices, processes and technology now or hereafter known or created, exclusively and in perpetuity, theatrical motion pictures" based on the X-Men comic books. As the Court has already found, the language of this paragraph constitutes a broad grant of rights to Fox.

Based on the above, FOX have the broad rights to produce, distribute and exploit a theatrical motion picture based on the X-Men comic book universe. It does not state that the header "X-Men" must be included in the title in order to be counted as a feature film from the 1993 agreement.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/220/289/2533881/

Schlorgan

Saw Fantastic Beasts tonight. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It almost felt more like the pilot of a show than a movie. Fringe: Wizard Edition.

I liked it a lot more than I liked The Hobbit, that's for sure (I never even finished the first Hobbit).

Ross61

64506856.jpg

Bronx-Man

Banned
Should've just made a straight-up Grindelwald/Dumbledore movie or an Ilvermorny movie or something. No one wants to watch Eddie Redmayne for 2 hours.

vinnygambini

Fantastic Beasts is doing fine.

It's going to be a $600M performer for WB, J.K. Rowling gets richer, Universal Studios is happy as it keeps the Potterverse alive.

Everyone is happy except NeoGAF, what to do. Bronson guide us.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm sure WB are fine with Fantastic Beasts
Its genuinely a good movie and once word gets out that you don't need to have seen any of the Harry Potter films it will open up to a new audience

Fantastic Beasts is doing fine.

It's going to be a $600M performer for WB, J.K. Rowling gets richer, Universal Studios is happy as it keeps the Potterverse alive.

Everyone is happy except NeoGAF, what to do. Bronson guide us.

*saunters up to podium*
Yes, hello. I have called this emergency press conference to address our current situation.
Chaos is among us. Bad movies are doing well. Good movies are doing poorly. Star Wars is all up in my face. The next Fast & Furious movie isn't out for like 6 months!

But we must persevere. We must stay strong. As such, I have put copies of GAF's favorite movie, Speed Racer, under all of your seats. Use it as a reminder of better times.

Now go forth and keep the fa-*is punched in the face by Slayven*

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm going to see Fantastic Beasts today, and as I asked around for people to go with-- most people were unaware that it was a new Harry Potter film (even if they did read the books) and most thought it was related to the "recently released eighth book".

Furthermore, all the huge billboards and crap I saw make no mention of HP that I could see. They could double down with the marketing now but I don't know if it'll be quick enough.

Sulik2

I thought every trailer for Fantastic Beasts looked terrible, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it under performs. I know reviews have been good, but the premise just didn't look interesting.

*saunters up to podium*
Yes, hello. I have called this emergency press conference to address our current situation.
Chaos is among us. Bad movies are doing well. Good movies are doing poorly. Star Wars is all up in my face. The next Fast & Furious movie isn't out for like 6 months!

But we must persevere. We must stay strong. As such, I have put copies of GAF's favorite movie, Speed Racer, under all of your seats. Use it as a reminder of better times.

Now go forth and keep the fa-*is punched in the face by Slayven*

Excellent more people should own one of the most visually stunning and best action family movies ever created. Speed Racer is a tremendous film.

kswiston

Friday Studio estimates:

1) Fantastic Beasts - $29.7M
2) Doctor Strange - $4.8M (-68%) - $169M total
3) Trolls - $3.9M (-68%) - $103M total
4) Arrival - $3.4M (-64%) - $35M total
5) Almost Christmas - $3.0M (-66%) - $20M total
6) Hacksaw Ridge - $1.9M (-50%) - $38M total
7) Edge of Seventeen - $1.7M
8) Bleed for This - $895k
9) The Accountant - $605k (-60%) - $80M total
10) Shut In - $500k (-65%) - $5M total
11) Moonlight - $438k (+3.5%) - $5.6M total (expanded from 176 to 650 venues)
12) Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - $350k

- Fantastic Beasts will probably end up with a mid-70s opening unless today is particularly strong or weak. That is in line with tracking up until the past few days (which were inflated due to a misreading of strong presales)
- The big drops for holdovers are in part due to the fact that last Friday was Vetrans' Day, which was a holiday in some regions (over 50% of schools had the day off)
- All of the openers are failing to find an audience, coming below even their modest tracking expectations.
- A24 spent too long rolling out their platform release of Moonlight. Unless it gets major awards buzz, a finish in the $10-15M range is probable.

Looking back, that Southpaw film with Jake Gyllenhaal actually did ok, but it had better marketing and Miles Teller isn't much of a draw.

Slayven

Looking back, that Southpaw film with Jake Gyllenhaal actually did ok, but it had better marketing and Miles Teller isn't much of a draw.

I just walked by the tv in the living room and a movie with the Original Fox Reed Richards was on where he was interacting with a talking parrot.

Maybe the role is cursed

kswiston

Miles teller still has that Ascendant TV movie in his back pocket!

Fantastic Beasts made $30M overseas on Friday, bringing its worldwide total to $83M as of yesterday.

Figure about $45M more domestic and $75-80M more overseas for Saturday and Sunday for a total of a little over $200M in its opening weekend.

Slayven

Miles teller still has that Ascendant TV movie in his back pocket!

Fantastic Beasts made $30M overseas on Friday, bringing its worldwide total to $83M as of yesterday.

Figure about $45M more domestic and $75-80M more overseas for Saturday and Sunday for a total of a little over $200M in its opening weekend.

Oh shit, lets start calling him Money Miles.

Might be a warm up before he does TV full time

I just walked by the tv in the living room and a movie with the Original Fox Reed Richards was on where he was interacting with a talking parrot.

Maybe the role is cursed

First time I saw him post-FF was when he showed up for one scene in Horrible Bosses to pee on people for money.

3/4 of the new FF cast are/have been in the MCU tho. Maybe Miles can ask for a hook-up.

Speaking of Miles, I finally got around the Whiplash to other day. Phenomenal movie. Don't know how I missed it in 2014.

Slayven

First time I saw him post-FF was when he showed up for one scene in Horrible Bosses to pee on people for money.

3/4 of the new FF cast are/have been in the MCU tho. Maybe Miles can ask for a hook-up.

Speaking of Miles, I finally got around the Whiplash to other day. Phenomenal movie. Don't know how I missed it in 2014.

What MCU has Jaime Bell and Kate Mura been in?

vinnygambini

Fox still has plans for a sequel don't they?

It's off FOX's release schedule, so no.

However, FOX knows that relinquishing those rights would be a costly mistake. They'll most likely reboot the franchise, but instead of concentrating on the core superhero team, they'll do so with the side characters: Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Galactus, Kang the Conqueror, among others.

If not, FOX will try to tie up some of the Fantastic Four characters in future X-Men films so that their rights don't lapse. They are already doing that with X-Men and Deadpool, may as well complete the trifecta.

kswiston

It's off FOX's release schedule, so no.

However, FOX knows that relinquishing those rights would be a costly mistake. They'll most likely reboot the franchise, but instead of concentrating on the core superhero team, they'll do so with the side characters: Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Galactus, Kang the Conqueror, among others.

If not, FOX will try to tie up some of the Fantastic Four characters in future X-Men films so that their rights don't lapse. They are already doing that with X-Men and Deadpool, may as well complete the trifecta.

Does Fox even have Kang? He doesnt have all that much to do with the FF.

Well even Nic Cage had to pay his dues, can't slide into shit like your name is Max Landis

Cage downplays his Coppola name as much as he can though. And I think he's just starred in 400 shitty movies since 2005 because he just really likes working. Gotta respect the dude's ethic.

I'm curious what audiences think of Fantastic Beasts. I just got back from seeing it and I was really mixed on it. Some of it was fantastic, but I though some of the scenes / pacing was an absolute bore. It was an ok foundation for a starter for a new franchise of films but I feel like they have a long way to go if they want it to approach anything like the original Potter films.

I wonder what legs will look like.

kswiston

Unless you count Rama Tut and Kang being Reed's great to the x40 grandson

There's that, but the Maximoff twins were Magneto's children until Marvel decided to wipe those dirty X-men connections off of them, and they remained co-owned.

Marvel really seemed to cut themselves a shitty deal over those Fantastic Four rights. Stan and Jack used that 100 issue FF run to create half of the Marvel Universe.

vinnygambini

I wonder what FOX could do with Starjammers.

It's crazy, with all the rights they have, they could build out an MCU equivalent, but for FOX. They need a Kevin Feige to lead them into making that into a reality though - it ain't going to come from current franchise helmers Simon Kinberg and Bryan Singer. But I have hope following Deadpool's success that they could do these characters justice.

kswiston

Fox hasn't shown much aptitude to date. Even if you are a fan of the (good) X-Men films, it's hard to argue that most of the included x-characters didn't get a pretty shitty treatment. Fantastic Four was pretty poorly done both times, as was Daredevil.

Deadpool, Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, and maybe a couple others vs everyone else isn't really brag-worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom