• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•04-06•16 - Strange Doctor trolls (ex-)Spider-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Deadline is saying $12.5M for Doc Strange today and $12M for Trolls thanks to 50% of schools having the day off. They are saying $35M for Strange and $32M for Trolls this weekend.

Arrival is currently estimated at $6.5M for Friday. Almost Christmas is at $5.5M for Friday and Shut-in at less than $1M.

It already had the best Friday-to-Saturday drop for any MCU movie. I saw it and thought it was good, but I didn't think the word-of-mouth was this good.
It looks and sounds different and fresh without actually being that different or fresh. It's actually a pretty amazing accomplishment. I enjoyed it fwiw but I'd put it on the same level as Deadpool which i thought was super super generic from a plot standpoint but great at everything else.

Schlorgan

It looks and sounds different and fresh without actually being that different or fresh. It's actually a pretty amazing accomplishment. I enjoyed it fwiw but I'd put it on the same level as Deadpool which i thought was super super generic from a plot standpoint but great at everything else.

Maybe more like Guardians than Deadpool.

kswiston

Deadline updated their numbers again (which is rare, so they must have felt they were too far off to wait until the typical 12-1am EST update).

They now have Doctor Strange at $36-40M for the weekend. No update to the Friday number.

They are still sticking to $33M for Trolls.

Arrival has also been updated to $18.5-22.5M for the weekend. $8-9M for Today (counting previews).

Almost Christmas follows the increase pattern, with the film now being put at $16-18.5M for the weekend and $6-7M today.

Shut-in is still expected to flop with about $4M this weekend.

Schlorgan

Deadline updated their numbers again (which is rare, so they must have felt they were too far off to wait until the typical 12-1am EST update).

They now have Doctor Strange at $36-40M for the weekend. No update to the Friday number.

Snap. Cumberbatch bringing home the bacon.

kswiston

whats looking like the final for Dr.Strange?

Domestic or Worldwide?

Domestic is too early to tell, but it should at least beat Thor 2.

Worldwide will be somewhere over $600M. The total through Thursday is $383M, even if Mojo didn't feel like updating international take. My guess is that this weekend will put the film in the $475M range. Some of Strange's late legs will depend on how well it weathers the release of Fantastic Beasts.

Slayven

Domestic or Worldwide?

Domestic is too early to tell, but it should at least beat Thor 2.

Worldwide will be somewhere over $600M. The total through Thursday is $383M, even if Mojo didn't feel like updating international take. My guess is that this weekend will put the film in the $475M range. Some of Strange's late legs will depend on how well it weathers the release of Fantastic Beasts.
Worldwide

Fantastic Beasts will be interesting, the commercials really suck at showing the connection to Harry potter other than the wands

Ross61

Worldwide

Fantastic Beasts will be interesting, the commercials really suck at showing the connection to Harry potter other than the wands
They'd have to show
Grindelwald or Dumbeldore
outright for the connection to be stronger. I've seen Hogwarts name dropped a few times in some TV Spots.

Slayven

They'd have to show
Grindelwald or Dumbeldore
outright for the connection to be stronger. I've seen Hogwarts name dropped a few times in some TV Spots.

Yeah but is blink and you miss type of drop. But I will say this, on it's own it looks like a high concept period piece. I think it can stand on it's own either way

kswiston

I think that Fantastic Beasts' gross will depend on its quality, at least domestically. If it's the Hobbit redux, I am not expecting much more than $200M domestic. Overseas grosses will probably be solid either way.

Slayven

I think that Fantastic Beasts' gross will depend on its quality, at least domestically. If it's the Hobbit redux, I am not expecting much more than $200M domestic. Overseas grosses will probably be solid either way.

have they announced the next movie will be filmed in 3 parts yet? Is that still a thing or did Divergent and Hobbit kill that?

kswiston

have they announced the next movie will be filmed in 3 parts yet? Is that still a thing or did Divergent and Hobbit kill that?

They want to make 4 more Fantastic Beasts movies, and there was some talk of adapting that HP play into a movie or two. WB isn't really tied to a book (Fantastic Beasts' namesake was a 120 page fake textbook), so they can do whatever they want with the story.

Slayven

They want to make 4 more Fantastic Beasts movies, and there was some talk of adapting that HP play into a movie or two. WB isn't really tied to a book (Fantastic Beasts' namesake was a 120 page fake textbook), so they can do whatever they want with the story.

Here comes the Potter Murderverse

kswiston

Too be fair The Books of Magic was first

I was specifically talking about that volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where (an un-named) Harry Potter is actually the anti-christ, goes back later in life and kills everyone at Hogwarts, and is eventually defeated by Mary Poppins (who is an aspect of God).

Slayven

I was specifically talking about that volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where (an un-named) Harry Potter is actually the anti-christ, goes back later in life and kills everyone at Hogwarts, and is eventually defeated by Mary Poppins (who is an aspect of God).

I can only remember the league from the movie

Ridley327

My my, we've come a long way from Mr. Hyde sodomizing the Invisible Man to death.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Doctor Strange - $14.9M (-53%) - $125M total
2) Trolls - $12.2M (-2%) - $71M total
3) Arrival - $9.3M
4) Almost Christmas - $5.9M
5) Hacksaw Ridge - $3.8M (-29%) - $25M total

xx) Shut in - $1.4M

Doctor Strange was down 36% if you subtract the $9.4M Thursday previews from last Friday. Trolls went up if you do the same. Kids being off school for Veteran's Day inflates Friday though.

Thor 2 made $10.5M on its second Friday.

Doctor Strange's second weekend might end up being pretty close to Suicide Squad's second weekend, despite opening almost $50M lower last weekend.

kswiston

It looks like Moonlight is slowing down in the Per Theatre Average department. I wonder if A24 is making a mistake by keeping the roll-out so gradual. All of these awards films are going to have DVD quality leaks in December when someone inevitably starts to upload the screeners.

BumRush

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Doctor Strange - $14.9M (-53%) - $125M total
2) Trolls - $12.2M (-2%) - $71M total
3) Arrival - $9.3M
4) Almost Christmas - $5.9M
5) Hacksaw Ridge - $3.8M (-29%) - $25M total

xx) Shut in - $1.4M

Doctor Strange was down 36% if you subtract the $9.4M Thursday previews from last Friday. Trolls went up if you do the same. Kids being off school for Veteran's Day inflates Friday though.

Thor 2 made $10.5M on its second Friday.

Doctor Strange's second weekend might end up being pretty close to Suicide Squad's second weekend, despite opening almost $50M lower last weekend.

Awesome second Friday for Strange

If obscure characters like Doctor Strange continue to have success in this genre, you have to figure a more iconic figure like Wonder Woman is gonna make bank.

mjc

If obscure characters like Doctor Strange continue to have success in this genre, you have to figure a more iconic figure like Wonder Woman is gonna make bank.

One would think so.

It's insane to me that Marvel made successful and decent movies out of Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Mind boggling.

Ridley327

It looks like Moonlight is slowing down in the Per Theatre Average department. I wonder if A24 is making a mistake by keeping the roll-out so gradual. All of these awards films are going to have DVD quality leaks in December when someone inevitably starts to upload the screeners.
As someone who wants to see it but doesn't have the schedule or the means to get to Atlanta anytime soon, YES THEY ARE TAKING THEIR SWEET-ASS TIME.

The Marvel logo can sell anything right now and Wonder Woman doesn't have it, that's going to make a big difference. It certainly has a chance to be successful but it's not a guaranteed hit imo. I don't see WW passing $500M worldwide unless it gets great reviews and word of mouth .

Don't know if it's always down to iconic properties. Last year's Fantastic Four bombed and X-Men might be the lowest grossing superhero film this year. On the flip side, Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Suicide Squad were all over $740mil. But I still feel it's safe to say the floor for Wonder Woman is maybe $400mil; won't be a failure but it's placed around some big movies next year.

One would think so.

It's insane to me that Marvel made successful and decent movies out of Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Mind boggling.
If you would have told me a decade ago that those 2 would make over half a billion each I'd have laughed.

Ashhong

If it's a good movie, sure. At this point it's like MCU as a brand is as iconic as any other superhero.

guek

Banned
I wish Marvel did a better job making their marketing stand out though. Civil War did OK with it's choose a side campaign but everything else feels really samey. The marketing for BvS and SS stand out sharply in contrast.

I wish Marvel did a better job making their marketing stand out though. Civil War did OK with it's choose a side campaign but everything else feels really samey. The marketing for BvS and SS stand out sharply in contrast.

The BvS visit Gotham/Metropolis Turkish airline commercials were really cool and it has the one incredible SDCC trailer but overall it didn't jump out to me. I want to say Civil War leaned more into the "choose a side" campaign. Suicide Squad, I agree, and Deadpool went all out with its marketing and the results speak for themselves.

samey marvel movies you say

guek

Banned
The BvS visit Gotham/Metropolis Turkish airline commercials were really cool and it has the one incredible SDCC trailer but overall it didn't jump out to me. I want to say Civil War leaned more into the "choose a side" campaign. Suicide Squad, I agree, and Deadpool went all out with its marketing and the results speak for themselves.

Deadpool wins marketing of the year, hands down. I suppose BvS stood out to me more because of the novelty of seeing the two titular heroes on screen at the same time. Promotion for that movie was everywhere.

hurrdurrdurr

what was that? I couldn't quite make that out

kswiston

Since we are sort of on the topic, Doctor Strange is locked to pass BvS in China in local currency. It will probably pass BvS there in USD as well despite the exchange being down since March. $100M is looking good.

Since we are sort of on the topic, Doctor Strange is locked to pass BvS in China in local currency. It will probably pass BvS there in USD as well despite the exchange being down since March. $100M is looking good.

Holy shit really? I had no idea it was performing like that

kswiston

So are we looking at $20-25M for Arrival? I'm pretty stoked for it but that's a little tepid.

Arrival's budget was under $50M, so it's not too bad. With decent legs, it could easily hit $75M. Maybe $100M with great legs.

Anything over $61M makes it Villeneuve's biggest domestic film to date.

guek

Banned
Arrival's budget was under $50M, so it's not too bad. With decent legs, it could easily hit $75M. Maybe $100M with great legs.

Anything over $61M makes it Villeneuve's biggest domestic film to date.

Good point. I wonder if they'll push it at all for awards season.

Dalek

And this is why there was no Tibetan Ancient One.

Not that I'm complaining though-Tilda was amazing in the role.

Now imagine the grosses if he used his British accent.

Dr. Strange is from PHILLY dammit

And this is why there was no Tibetan Ancient One.

Not that I'm complaining though-Tilda was amazing in the role.

Yup & yup. I think they were hesitant to put an Asian or Tibetan in the role, then Tilda popped in and made it much much easier to avoid the whole thing.

tbh I think the plot of Strange would've pissed off both of them if it was an Asian in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom