• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•04-06•16 - Strange Doctor trolls (ex-)Spider-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

The power of a good movie.

It's a very good, fun movie: but in China they love BBC's Sherlock Holmes with Cumberbatch so he really will be driving a lot of the interest there. Heck I think they started releasing Sherlock Holmes specials as movies in China IIRC.

jett

D-Member
Dr. Strange is from PHILLY dammit

Yup & yup. I think they were hesitant to put an Asian or Tibetan in the role, then Tilda popped in and made it much much easier to avoid the whole thing.

tbh I think the plot of Strange would've pissed off both of them if it was an Asian in it

China loves dem some Cucumbersnatch.

Schlorgan

Giving horror movie directors Marvel movies continues to pay off. Hopefully Spider-Man is as good and uses its budget as well as Strange.

Strange is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen and it was a $165 million dollar movie. I'll stand by my prediction that Spider-Man will have around the same budget or lower.

More than that considering new legislature will let them blackball studios that make what they consider to be anti-Chinese films.

And considering the ones they seem to like co-funding show China in a heroic/sympathetic light (lookin at you The Martian, though IIRC that was in the book too), smart moves

I never really thought about it before now but Dr. Strange owed alot to old Hong Kong action films like the ones by the Shaw Brothers or Jackie Chan.

Toa TAK

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Doctor Strange - $14.9M (-53%) - $125M total
2) Trolls - $12.2M (-2%) - $71M total
3) Arrival - $9.3M
4) Almost Christmas - $5.9M
5) Hacksaw Ridge - $3.8M (-29%) - $25M total

xx) Shut in - $1.4M

Doctor Strange was down 36% if you subtract the $9.4M Thursday previews from last Friday. Trolls went up if you do the same. Kids being off school for Veteran's Day inflates Friday though.

Thor The Dark World made $10.5M on its second Friday.

Doctor Strange's second weekend might end up being pretty close to Suicide Squad's second weekend, despite opening almost $50M lower last weekend.
Damn @ Hacksaw. That was a good return to directing for Gibson.

Also ftfy

kswiston

Have tickets for Rogue One gone on sale yet? I would have expected to see more news a bit more than a month from launch.

kswiston

Reviews are coming in for Fantastic Beasts now. It looks like most are pretty positive. I guess that's a good sign for WB and the film's box office potential.

Giving horror movie directors Marvel movies continues to pay off. Hopefully Spider-Man is as good and uses its budget as well as Strange.

Strange is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen and it was a $165 million dollar movie. I'll stand by my prediction that Spider-Man will have around the same budget or lower.

Downey Jr's salary in Spider-Man pretty much guarantees that it won't be that cheap.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Doctor Strange - $43M (-50%) - $153M total
2) Trolls - $35.1M (-25%) - $94M total
3) Arrival - $24.0M
4) Almost Christmas - $15.5M
5) Hacksaw Ridge - $10.7M (-29%) - $32M total

xx) Shut in - $3.7M

Much bigger than expected weekend overseas for Strange. Its new worldwide total is $493M

BumRush

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Doctor Strange - $43M (-50%) - $153M total
2) Trolls - $35.1M (-25%) - $94M total
3) Arrival - $24.0M
4) Almost Christmas - $5.9M
5) Hacksaw Ridge - $10.7M (-29%) - $32M total

xx) Shut in - $3.7M

Much bigger than expected weekend overseas for Strange. Its new worldwide total is $493M

Great news for strange. Was almost Christmas supposed to be $15.9M?

Slayven

Magic always wins

NewMutants_50.jpg

kswiston

If the estimate holds, Doctor Strange had the third best second weekend drop in the MCU after Thor and Iron Man. If you discount Thursday/midnight previews, it had the best drop.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
X-men lol. The continuous Fox failure.

Disagree completely.

FOX's X-Men are good films generally, the last ones especially: Days of Future Past, The Wolverine, Apocalypse (meh, could have been better) and lastly, Logan looks like a winner too.

Marvel have enough on their plate as is and having another entity take care of the X-Men universe and Deadpool is fine by me.

BumRush

If the estimate holds, Doctor Strange had the third best second weekend drop in the MCU after Thor and Iron Man. If you discount Thursday/midnight previews, it had the best drop.

'Beasts' is definitely going to hurt it moving forward but Disney must already be incredibly pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom