• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•11-13•16 - Strange guy and Trolls win, beat out female-lead Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The power of the Doctor Strange cast helped a bit.

Of course, his films usually had a few very strong cast members.

Horror typically reviews poorly (and is made on shoestring budgets), but there is less excuse for the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Nothing wrong with that cast.

Arrival was excellent, shame it flopped.

Was hoping having two recognizable leads (Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) would let it overtake Marvel's newest cookie cutter mess and that terrible looking cartoon. What a shame.
I happened to enjoy that cookie cutter mess rather a lot.

*shrug

Seeing all the positive buzz Arrival has gotten definitely has it on my next to see list, though.

Horror typically reviews poorly (and is made on shoestring budgets), but there is less excuse for the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Nothing wrong with that cast.

The main issue with it was they tried remaking a classic. It would have been a cooler idea for it to be Klaatu coming back after so long, being like, "I warned you fuckers to straighten up!"

Schlorgan

I would guess somewhere in the 85-92% range. The average on RT is currently 7.3, which suggests it's widely liked, but few critics are raving about the film (sort of like the better half of the MCU).

It's down to 97% now. I think the 85-92% range is appropriate.

BumRush

I'm not seeing the cookie cutter argument for strange. It's definitely the most 'out there' origin story, by a wide margin.

Goddamn, amazing thread title!

I honestly didn't get the election reference until just now. I was wondering why he specified female-lead.

Also, I can't believe how many new or low-level directors with whom the MCU has created monster hits. The Russos, Scott Derrickson, and James Gunn have made four of the most well-regarded movies in the MCU, all of which have made a ton of money. I can't imagine how successful Black Panther will be with a director who is already very highly regarded.

Schlorgan

I hope Assassin's Creed is good and does well, if only so we can incorporate "No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!" into the thread titles.

Steejee

Strange was enjoyable (IMAX 4k Laser 3D, whee), Arrival was fan-fucking-tastic.

Arrival is doing a lot better than expectations, and was fairly low budget to begin with, so that's a really good box office take all things considered.

kswiston

Deadline reports that industry expectations for Fantastic Beasts this weekend are $70-80M domestic and $90-125M overseas.

Deadline reports that industry expectations for Fantastic Beasts this weekend are $70-80M domestic and $90-125M overseas.

I am surprised it is still that low. I am still expecting about $100m this weekend.

Of course, I also excepted Independence Day: Resurgence to do well, so what the hell do I know?

BumRush

Is it though?

Like what's so out there?

I like the movie, but it is a pretty by the book origin flick.

I mean, a normal superhero origin flick doesn't deal with
multiple dimensions, sorcery and time manipulation
. Compare it to the origins of Iron Man, Captain America, etc. And it's definitely a little bit weirder (in a good way).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Saw Doctor Strange on Tuesday and found the film enjoyable mostly due to the film's visual style.

Also saw Arrival tonight, it's a bore. Not my type of film and the ending leaves to be desired. Suggest a rental for those interested.

Carcetti

Arrival is one of the best sci-fi movies to come out in recent memory. Nice having a sci-fi film that isn't all action and explosions.

Having seen both Arrival and Dr. Strange, my mind boggles at someone liking the latter more. Except for the visuals, it was just a formulaic movie that I've seen a hundred times before. The Arrival is best scifi in years.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Vinny likes his sci fi with hot 20-something actors and love triangles.

giphy.gif

kswiston

Fantastic Beasts isn't doing all that well in France so far. 210k admissions on opening day vs 730k for Deathly Hallows 2. Even accepting DH2 as a high point, all of the previous Potter films had opening day admissions of at least 435k. Germany looks to be following suit as well.

On the other side of the spectrum, Fantastic Beasts scored higher opening day admissions in South Korea than Deathly Hallows 2.

Speaking of South Korea, Doctor Strange is now the 6th most attended superhero film of all time there, after Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, Civil War, the Avengers, and The Dark Knight Rises. Admissions won't pass TDKR, but still a great run.

Doctor Strange will end with around 5.2M admissions in South Korea, more than BvS and Suicide Squad combined (2.25M and 1.9M admission respectively).

. Compare it to the origins of Iron Man, Captain America, etc. And it's definitely a little bit weirder (in a good way).

This is like someone trying to argue that police procedurals arent formulaic because the murders are different.

BumRush

This is like someone trying to argue that police procedurals arent formulaic because the murders are different.

Superhero origin film goes "superhero doesn't have powers, something happens, now they are superhero". That can't and won't change. Within that framework, I thought strange was a fresh take. Did it change the game? Not at all.

kswiston

I sometimes wonder if having a ton of early fresh reviews for a blockbuster works against it when the bulk of critics are able to see the film for themselves. There has to at least be a few thinking "how does THIS have 100%?", especially given how many small time and website critics get counted on RT.

I sometimes wonder if having a ton of early fresh reviews for a blockbuster works against it when the bulk of critics are able to see the film for themselves. There has to at least be a few thinking "how does THIS have 100%?", especially given how many small time and website critics get counted on RT.

Maybe. It's interesting how it's used in marketing now. Last week a commercial for Arrival said it has an unprecedented rotten tomatoes score. Couldn't find the exact spot online, but this one is using the then 100% as a selling point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyv3JczSsy4

Penguin

Eh that doesn't make the structure unique.

Like how many superhero movies deal with World War 2.... doesn't make Captain America an unique origin movie.

It's a good movie, but pretty standard origin fare.

kswiston

Maybe. It's interesting how it's used in marketing now. Last week a commercial for Arrival said it has an unprecedented rotten tomatoes score. Couldn't find the exact spot online, but this one is using the then 100% as a selling point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyv3JczSsy4

I know the early reviews sometimes have a larger than normal share of hype reviewers (like IGN movies), but from a stats perspective, it's always weird to see the first 25-50 reviews come out Fresh, only to have the eventual score end in the 80-90% range.

$6.9M for Fantastic Beasts on Wednesday overseas. Based on that and early Thursday numbers, it looks like Europe is way down compared to the actual Potter films, while Asia is turning out numbers similar to Deathly Hallows 2.

overcast

Fantastic Beasts won't perform that well in the US either. Don't think the hype is there. I've been thinking that a while but we'll see.

I'm catching it tomorrow

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am a little bit happy by the way that the european numbers are down. I was really annoyed how Rowling marketed her fancy american school, that so much better then the european shithole of Hogwarts is. Now she gets her payback.

Also it shows that she needs to move on. Cursed Child was stupid shit, this seems to flop. Do something else.
LOL, cant wait to not care about the remaining 4 movies

I am a little bit happy by the way that the european numbers are down. I was really annoyed how Rowling marketed her fancy american school, that so much better then the european shithole of Hogwarts is. Now she gets her payback.

Also it shows that she needs to move on. Cursed Child was stupid shit, this seems to flop. Do something else.
LOL, cant wait to not care about the remaining 4 movies

Remaining 4 movies? Is this supposed to be a 5 movie series?

mjc

I'm not sure WB has it in them to stretch five movies out of Fantastic Beasts.

Which then leaves them the opportunity to do the HP sequel series.

Ross61

The movie isn't even out yet in all markets and it's being called a disappointment? Oh Gaf, I love you.

Edit: There's virtually no way this isn't gonna turn a profit.

The movie isn't even out yet in all markets and it's being called a disappointment? Oh Gaf, I love you.

Its a WB movie.

We came for BLOOD!

Are all of WB's cinematic universe attempts this year going to disappoint?

Outlook doesn't look good.

If they pull the rug out from under Fantastic Beasts, does that leave Yates to the Tarzan Cinematic Universe?

Can't wait for that King Kong crossover. Not one but TWO racist characters in the same movie!

mjc

If they pull the rug out from under Fantastic Beasts, does that leave Yates to the Tarzan Cinematic Universe?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm not sure WB has it in them to stretch five movies out of Fantastic Beasts.

Which then leaves them the opportunity to do the HP sequel series.
Please no Sequel movies that have no source material.
Even then. Cursed Child is the Sequel. Its insaner then the Star Wars Prequels. These movies will be crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom