• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•25-27•16 - Disney not-a-Princess says 'aloha!' to not-Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

lmaRa0m.jpg
KU2MXsH.jpg
3JlXJG1.jpg
pqt4lql.jpg
fWX0gP6.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
98% Moana
9wcOG.gif
77% Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
kavuF.gif
90% Doctor Strange
8vteV.gif
62% Allied
0hJB1.gif
93% Arrival
-
-
CBq5r.gif
25% Bad Santa 2
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
57% Rules Don't Apply
-
-
n/a Dear Zindagi

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Moana’ Tops Thanksgiving Box Office, ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ Bombs, ‘Allied’ and ‘Bad Santa 2’ Stumble

Disney’s “Moana” sailed to the top of the Thanksgiving box office, earning a mighty $81.1 million over the five day holiday period and $55.5 million for the weekend.

Its success builds on the studio’s hot streak. Disney has released five of the year’s ten highest grossing films, is the leader in terms of market share, and is poised to set a new record for annual grosses. Its hits include “Zootopia,” “Doctor Strange,” “Finding Dory,” “The Jungle Book,” and now “Moana,” with “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” waiting in the wings.

The other new releases weren’t as fortunate. Paramount’s “Allied” earned $18 million over the five-day period, a disappointing result given its $85 million budget. The film stars Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard as spies who marry only to have their love affair become entangled in a larger conspiracy. Robert Zemeckis (“Flight”) directed the picture. Paramount is coming off a series of bruising failures such as “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” and “Zoolander 2.”

As its parent company, Viacom, prepares to merge with CBS, there are questions about studio chief Brad Grey’s leadership of Paramount. Last month, Grey hosted a preview of the studio’s film slate for media, during which “Allied” was positioned as a key component in Paramount’s revival. The studio did enjoy a hit with “Arrival,” a brainy sci-fi thriller, but after “Allied’s” struggles, it will now have to look to “Fences” and “Silence,” two awards hopefuls from Denzel Washington and Martin Scorsese, to close out the year on a high note.

Broad Green and Miramax’s “Bad Santa 2” also failed to ignite. The follow-up to the 2003 cult comedy “Bad Santa” earned $9 million over the five day stretch and $6.1 million for the weekend. It cost $25 million to produce and had been tracking to open in the mid-teen millions. Broad Green, a newcomer to film distribution, has also been floundering of late. It has released a number of flops and disappointments such as “The Infiltrator,” a thriller with Bryan Cranston, and “99 Homes,” a drama with Andrew Garfield, and has only had one true breakout hit with “A Walk in the Woods,” a Robert Redford comedy that debuted last year.

Warren Beatty’s “Rules Don’t Apply” was roundly rejected by moviegoers. The romantic comedy about Howard Hughes bombed, earning a disastrous $2,2 million over five days and $1.6 million over the weekend. Beatty hasn’t been on screens in more than a decade and has spent years trying to assemble financing for the film. Hughes, the famously reclusive billionaire was something of an obsession for the actor. To realize the passion projection, Beatty tapped a network of one-percenters that includes Steve Bing, Steven Mnuchin, and Ron Burkle to pull together “Rules Don’t Apply’s” $25 million budget. Fox is distributing the picture. Its opening is one of the worst ever recorded for a movie that debuted on more than 2,000 screens.

“Moana” centers on a girl in the Pacific Islands who journeys across the ocean to save her people. Disney did not release a budget, but most animated films cost between $150 million to $200 million to produce. “Moana” now ranks as the second biggest Thanksgiving debut ever, behind only “Frozen,” which made $93.6 million in its first five days.

As many new releases floundered, Warner Bros.’ “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” continued to draw crowds. The Harry Potter spin-off picked up $65.8 million for the five-day period and $45.1 million in its sophomore weekend. The fantasy adventure has earned $156.2 million in two weeks of release.

In limited release, EuropaCorp’s “Miss Sloane” bowed in three theaters where it made $63,000, for a per-screen average of $21,000. Jessica Chastain stars in the thriller as a driven lobbyist who takes on the gun industry.

The Weinstein Company’s “Lion,” a drama about a man who uses Google Earth to reunite with his long-lost family, debuted to $128,368 in four theaters for a $32,092 per-screen average.

“Lion” is seen as a potential Oscar winner. One of its chief competitors, Amazon and Roadside’s “Manchester by the Sea,” expanded from four to 48 screens this weekend, where it earned $1.3 million. The drama about a grieving janitor has made $1.6 million since it opened.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

HoJu

Bad Bomba 2.

good hold for Arrival. hopefully Manchester by the Sea is successful when it widens up. it deserves it.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm actually surprised Doctor Strange's Tomato score is still that high. It looked really pretty (Which may explain the score), but it was a serviceable movie imo. Neither bad nor great, just good.

GhaleonEB

Fantastic hold for Arrival, and puts it on trajectory for a pretty healthy profit, alongside the international take.

Moana tracked down a fair bit over the weekend, that's at the very low end of estimates from a couple days ago, IIRC. Great opening, but I'm thinking it won't quite have the legs of Disney's more recent animation (Zootopia, Frozen).

I'm actually surprised Doctor Strange's Tomato score is still that high. It looked really pretty (Which may explain the score), but it was a serviceable movie imo. Neither bad nor great, just good.

If all the critics think it's "just good", then it scores 100% on the tomatometer. The average rating is 7.3, which is an average of scores from those reviews.

pestul

It's okay I guess? Have hoped it would do way more.

EDIT: why is the theater count so low?
Good question. Looks like they prioritized family-friendly in Trolls for the holiday weekend even though it performed worse. Of course that doesn't explain why Hacksaw Ridge (also a good film) has almost as many screens as Arrival from it's 4rth week and it is making half as much as Arrival.

Rules Don't Apply.. yeah that qualifies as a major bomb with that budget.
Fox is distributing the picture. Its opening is one of the worst ever recorded for a movie that debuted on more than 2,000 screens.
Shieeeeeet.

BumRush

Fantastic hold for Arrival, and puts it on trajectory for a pretty healthy profit, alongside the international take.

Moana tracked down a fair bit over the weekend, that's at the very low end of estimates from a couple days ago, IIRC. Great opening, but I'm thinking it won't quite have the legs of Disney's more recent animation (Zootopia, Frozen).

If all the critics think it's "just good", then it scores 100% on the tomatometer. The average rating is 7.3, which is an average of scores from those reviews.

If I remember right, Swiss said deadline was tracking moana for 75-80, about a week ago, so it wasn't too bad.

Busty

Banned
I loved Allied. I know there has been critical indifference to it but there's a real old school filmmaking feel to it (could almost imagine Rita Hayworth in the female lead) coupled with a stark, uncompromising look at Britain in WW2
(openly gay relationships and drug taking)
during the Blitz.

The only real criticisms would be the fact that Brad Pitt feels wrong for the lead role and, to be honest, a little wooden. If anything this is the sort of stuff he can knock out in his sleep but he either never fully commits to this role or he's phoning it in. Apart from that I'd recommend checking it out at some point.

Another impressive feat is the fact that the Accountant is still pulling in over a million dollars in it's seventh week on the market made all the more impressive when you consider that it was a wide release and not a slow platform roll out a'la Moonlight.

Finishing with $85m+ at the domestic box office is over three times its near $25m opening weekend and shows a real appetite for Affleck in this sort of role. Warners will be hoping for better when Live By Night opens but this is still a win for the studio.

The trailers for Rules Don't Apply were really, really terrible. It's Warren Beatty as Howard Hughes and some young people and whatever. Maybe Shut In will out gross it, at least I could tell what fucking genre that movie was.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Fantastic Beasts - $474M ($41M in China and $15M in Japan this weekend, completing its major market openings)

Doctor Strange - $616M (will pass Iron Man 2 in the coming week. Probably the following week for Thor 2)

Moana mostly starts its overseas run next weekend, but it did manage a $12M opening in China.

Allied - $27M
Trolls - $291M

Looks like a little more time is all the Doctor needs to put The Dark World behind him, but what is the likelyhood of Strange staying 1 step ahead of Project Insight?

edit: I'm talking domestically.

completely anecdotal, but I went to the 1st showing of the day yesterday, showing up about 15 minutes before the movie started and theater was already pretty full. When the movie was over, there was already a line formed outside the entrance to that theater (about 30 deep) for the next showing in 30 minutes.

It was a fantastic movie, one that I personally liked even more than Zootopia and Frozen, so hopefully word of mouth gives it similar legs to both of those.

kswiston

Pixar films started to see more frontloaded openings in the 2000s as their fame grew. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney Animation has more up front push now than it did when Tangled or Frozen released. That explains the high previews/first day.

If Moana has the same legs as Tangled going forward, it will end up making $225-235M domestic (depending on whether you use the 3-day or 5-day opening as a measure).

kswiston

Bad Santa 1 didn't set the word on fire, but that $16.8M 5-day opening is looking at lot better than what the sequel managed to scrounge together. $26M isn't a huge budget, but Bad Santa 2 isn't going to even approach break-even during its theatrical run.

On the other hand, Almost Christmas is going to made a tidy profit.

I still really need to see Arrival - it's like pulling teeth getting some of my friends to see anything other than the big blockbusters. =/

Can't wait to see Moana as well.

As for Fantastic Beasts, I'm glad to see it with a decent hold.. but I really cannot imagine these are the numbers WB wanted. The Potter franchise was a juggernaut, and this new film doesn't really reflect that in the BO. Considering four more films are inbound, and this movies cost $180mil to make, they need to do better marketing the sequel IMO.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Fantastic Beasts is doing great, I suggest a watch fore those interested, it's very good.

On a side note, I'm surprised by Trolls - it's doing really well and should finish with Puss in Boots gross domestically, pretty amazing.

guek

Banned
Strange and Beasts both held really well. I still need to see the latter but I'm on the fence on whether to just wait for home video.

I want to see Moana too but tbh, if I see one more goofy comedic side kick in an animated movie, I'm going to throw my shoe at the screen. Does Moana have any characters like that?

As for Fantastic Beasts, I'm glad to see it with a decent hold.. but I really cannot imagine these are the numbers WB wanted. The Potter franchise was a juggernaut, and this new film doesn't really reflect that in the BO. Considering four more films are inbound, and this movies cost $180mil to make, they need to do better marketing the sequel IMO.

It'll be fine.

I want to see Moana too but tbh, if I see one more goofy comedic side kick in an animated movie, I'm going to throw my shoe at the screen. Does Moana have any characters like that?

*looks around shiftily*
um
*kicks nearby rock*
well

Shut up old man.

I'ma punt you into the ocean and she won't save ya

Peru

Well you're not going to get a stone-faced drama, no, so better stay away.

Strange and Beasts both held really well. I still need to see the latter but I'm on the fence on whether to just wait for home video.

Didn't see the pig and the rooster in the marketing? Also Maui pretty much.

kswiston

I made a thread a month ago forecasting it, but Marvel/DC Superhero films are officially over $4.7B worldwide combined in 2016 as of this weekend.

Ridley327

There's your Han Solo, Didney

You really can't blame the film's failure on Alden Ehrenreich. The trailers for Rules Don't Apply were some of the most tonally inconsistent of the year, and the whole "it's been so long since Warren Beatty has done anything!" hype only works when A) his last film as a director wasn't better known for the massive hit single it spawned and B) his last film as an actor wasn't one of the most notorious flops of its decade.

Beatty is one of the great creative talents of his era, but his era has been long gone. There was no business sense in going wide with it at all.

Kieli

At my local theatres, Moana was only playing with regular screens (no 3D and definitely no UltraAVX). That has to impact its performance relative to ticket sales.

Glad to see Beasts doing well. I was skeptical about the whole draining the Harry Potter brand with a new movie series but having just seen the movie today, I was very impressed by it and think it's going to be a good way to expand on the HP universe without just regurgitating the same thing over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom