• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•25-27•16 - Disney not-a-Princess says 'aloha!' to not-Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

I still really need to see Arrival - it's like pulling teeth getting some of my friends to see anything other than the big blockbusters. =/

Can't wait to see Moana as well.

As for Fantastic Beasts, I'm glad to see it with a decent hold.. but I really cannot imagine these are the numbers WB wanted. The Potter franchise was a juggernaut, and this new film doesn't really reflect that in the BO. Considering four more films are inbound, and this movies cost $180mil to make, they need to do better marketing the sequel IMO.

I am guessing these numbers are exceeding expectations for wb. Look at the chart, it is right in line.

I made a thread a month ago forecasting it, but Marvel/DC Superhero films are officially over $4.7B worldwide combined in 2016 as of this weekend.

but what is Disney's world wide boxoffice at as of this weekend, in comparison to the rest of the studios?

Disney has to be at a wiiiide margin lead at this point.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think Brad Pitt still remains a good box-office draw, but honestly, a love story? Again. Don't think many are rushing out to see Brad Pitt's love incarnation #29 - people are better served with his older film library. I think the same could be said with Jack Reacher and Tom Cruise - I'm ok Tom, I'll stay home for this one.

Disney wins the year and the ace in the hole still isn't out

Paramount or Sony takes the L of 2016 Movies?

Paramount no competition. SONY had a great run with their horror genre this year.

kswiston

Following up on the $4.7B for superhero films this year, here are some previous yearly totals.

EDIT: Some superhero totals from previous years

2015 - $2.092B over 3 films (one was Fan4stic)
2014 - $3.602B over 5 films (including BH6's $658M)
2013 - $2.943B over 4 films
2012 - $3.495B over 4 films (one was Ghost Rider 2)
2011 - $1.394B over 4 films
2010 - $624M for Iron Man 2 (you can bump that up by $11M if you want to add Jonah Hex)
2009 - $558M over 2 films
2008 - $2.011B over 4 films

You might notice a pattern

BumRush

Following up on the $4.7B for superhero films this year, here are some previous yearly totals.

EDIT: Some superhero totals from previous years

2015 - $2.092B over 3 films (one was Fan4stic)
2014 - $3.602B over 5 films (including BH6's $658M)
2013 - $2.943B over 4 films
2012 - $3.495B over 4 films (one was Ghost Rider 2)
2011 - $1.394B over 4 films
2010 - $624M for Iron Man 2 (you can bump that up by $11M if you want to add Jonah Hex)
2009 - $558M over 2 films
2008 - $2.011B over 4 films

You might notice a pattern

Fatigue, personified...

kswiston

but what is Disney's world wide boxoffice at as of this weekend, in comparison to the rest of the studios?

Disney has to be at a wiiiide margin lead at this point.

It's hard to get up to date worldwide studio totals unless we get press releases.

Disney did announce that they set a new record for their biggest year at $5.851B as of November 1st. Doctor Strange had made $110M overseas at that point.

So adding that figure plus another $603M for Strange + Moana, Disney is now at $6.454B worldwide. The all time record is around $6.9B set by Universal last year. Disney's total of $5.84B last year was the second biggest year of all time for a single studio until 2016 Disney.

Second place for 2016 has to be WB currently.

It's hard to get up to date worldwide studio totals unless we get press releases.

Disney did announce that they set a new record for their biggest year at $5.851B as of November 1st. Doctor Strange had made $110M overseas at that point.

So adding that figure plus another $603M for Moana, Disney is now at $6.454B worldwide. The all time record is around $6.9B set by Universal last year. Disney's total of $5.84B last year was the second biggest year of all time for a single studio until 2016 Disney.

Second place for 2016 has to be WB currently.

Damn, what did Universal release last year!?
I know they had Fast & Furious, but I'm gonna have to look up the rest of their releases for last year.
So with the release of Rogue One, we can reasonably expect Disney to have the new record before the year is over?

BumRush

Next year is gonna be interesting, 2 big movies for DC and Marvel has a follow-up to a sleeper, a return only on the good side and Thor

Guardians, Thor and Spider-Man are all going to make a shit ton of money (with Thor probably lagging behind the other two by a decent amount).

Damn, what did Universal release last year!?
I know they had Fast & Furious, but I'm gonna have to look up the rest of their releases for last year.

Furious 7, Jurassic World, 50 Shades of Grey, Minions, Straight Outta Compton did really well, as did Pitch Perfect 2. Almost everything they released performed insanely well.

kswiston

WB and Newline films released in 2016 have grossed $4.17B cumulatively worldwide. A few of their 2015 films made modest amounts of money in 2016, but the overall total is somewhere under $4.25B for the year to date.

I am not 100% positive whether Disney is counting every single dollar their films made in 2016 or just the money they themselves took in regarding the press release I mentioned above. WB is more likely than Disney to use foreign distribution partners, or to take on limited domestic distribution rights to independently financed projects. Mostly because Disney barely bothers with small films anymore.

EDIT: Either way, WB is having a pretty good year.

Harmen

I think next year Thor will do a bit better than the first two, Guardians will be big (900 m?), and Spidey will be big as well (800-900 m). But only if the quality at least is in line with the preceding MCU highlights. I think Guardians will see the biggest gain, people still talk about the first one and it seems to fare well with non-superhero audiences as well. Spidey does have 3 shitty films before it, so I can see that one needing a bit convincing, though Iron Man and Civil War help that film a lot. Thor 3 I am not sure what to expect.

DC I am hesitant to predict. Nobody knows WW over here (heavily anecdotal) so I am not sure she is popular in the EU? Still, that didn't stop some other recent superhero films so who knows (most of the MCU, for example). Furthermore, MoS and BvS were not a good look but Batfleck and the Flash and it being the DC alternative to the Avengers probably will make JL a big success. I assume WB's marketing will be as on point as it has been this year.

Anyways, next year will remain a very successful year for superheroes in my opinion. I feel people are tired of origin stories but not tired enough to entirely skip them (Dr Strange) and most upcoming films aren't origins anymore, allowing for more varying plotlines.

(and almost seriously: the Fast series has basically become a superhero franchise as well and next year has Fast 8)

Disney has released five of the year’s ten highest grossing films, is the leader in terms of market share, and is poised to set a new record for annual grosses. Its hits include “Zootopia,” “Doctor Strange,” “Finding Dory,” “The Jungle Book,” and now “Moana,” with “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” waiting in the wings.

No mention of Civil War :jnc

GhaleonEB

completely anecdotal, but I went to the 1st showing of the day yesterday, showing up about 15 minutes before the movie started and theater was already pretty full. When the movie was over, there was already a line formed outside the entrance to that theater (about 30 deep) for the next showing in 30 minutes.

It was a fantastic movie, one that I personally liked even more than Zootopia and Frozen, so hopefully word of mouth gives it similar legs to both of those.

Going from the comparison against Frozen, Moana had a higher opening day, and then dropped well below it as the weekend went on. Opening day was ~$500k higher, and it finished $12m lower, over the same holiday weekend. Just yesterday projections were for higher than it landed.

Still a great open, I just think there are early signs of legs that won't be as long as Disney's past few.

I think next year Thor will do a bit better than the first two, Guardians will be big (900 m?), and Spidey will be big as well (800-900 m). But only if the quality at least is in line with the preceding MCU highlights. I think Guardians will see the biggest gain, people still talk about the first one and it seems to fare well with non-superhero audiences as well. Spidey does have 3 shitty films before it, so I can see that one needing a bit convincing, though Iron Man and Civil War help that film a lot. Thor 3 I am not sure what to expect.

DC I am hesitant to predict. Nobody knows WW over here (heavily anecdotal) so I am not sure she is popular in the EU? Still, that didn't stop some other recent superhero films so who knows (most of the MCU, for example). Furthermore, MoS and BvS were not a good look but Batfleck and the Flash and it being the DC alternative to the Avengers probably will make JL a big success. I assume WB's marketing will be as on point as it has been this year.

Anyways, next year will remain a very successful year for superheroes in my opinion. I feel people are tired of origin stories but not tired enough to entirely skip them (Dr Strange) and most upcoming films aren't origins anymore, allowing for more varying plotlines.

(and almost seriously: the Fast series has basically become a superhero franchise as well and next year has Fast 8)

If Wonder Woman fails to hit big, prepare for the deluge of articles saying a female led super hero film will never work.

Yeah Guardians is going to be really big, especially if it's good
It will have a monster opening, that is for sure. I just wonder how well the legs will do with it being a May opener instead of August this time. The first one had great legs in August.

ElRenoRaven

Shame to hear about Bad Santa 2 not doing so well. I just got back from seeing it and I as a huge fan of the first really enjoyed it. It held up to the original in every way I thought. Willie grew as a character some more and you got to see why he is as fucked up as he is.

Hopefully it will do better when not stacked against some of the bigger films. They really kind of gave it a bad release date.

shira

good hold for Arrival.

32d098bad84e3157e4eb70007cc8a0f9.jpg

LaNaranja

Finally saw Dr. Strange this weekend. Really fantastic. Top 3 Marvel movie for sure, still behind the GOAT though
(Iron Man 3)

Dr Strange should break 700m now, right?

By the end of next year, the top 5 solo superhero origins will probably be:

1) Spider-Man: Homecoming
2) Spider-Man
3) Deadpool
4) The Amazing Spider-Man
5) Doctor Strange

Unless I'm missing something.

Counting Spider-Man only once, list looks like:

1) Spider-Man: Homecoming
2) Deadpool
3) Doctor Strange
4) Man of Steel
5) Iron Man

Disney wins the year and the ace in the hole still isn't out

Paramount or Sony takes the L of 2016 Movies?

Paramount's best grosser was Star Trek Beyond, which barely made a profit. TMNT 2 was probably just under profit as well. 10 Cloverfield Lane and Jack Reacher 2 made money, but small potatoes shit. Arrival will probably be the same. 13 Hours bombed. Ben-Hur bombed hard.
Sony looks worse because of pure volume. Angry Birds and Sausage Party made money worldwide, the latter because it was so goddamn cheap. Ghostbusters is their highest grossing film domestically, but that bombed. Magnificent Seven didn't make money. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies bombed. 5th Wave made money, but no one cares. Inferno wildly underperformed.

Where Sony wins is horror. Don't Breathe and The Shallows made bank compared to their price tags. Other small successes: Money Monster, Miracles From Heaven.

So... Paramount. Ben-Hur died hard. Star Trek and TMNT 2 didn't do great money.

Schlorgan

Fantastic Beasts is ahead of The Hobbit for 10-day numbers according to Box Office Mojo. Good.

Just to piss off Bronson
I'll say it again: it's probably WB's best movie this year.

I wish Star Trek had done better; it was one of my favorite movies of the year. In hindsight, it probably would have done better if it had come out a week or two after Suicide Squad instead of the week before.

Fantastic Beasts is ahead of The Hobbit for 10-day numbers according to Box Office Mojo. Good.

Just to piss off Bronson
I'll say it again: it's probably WB's best movie this year.

*has epileptic seizure, falls off cliff, rolls down hill into a ravine*

kswiston

Fantastic Beasts will be way behind The Hobbit by the end of the week. The Hobbit's Holiday period started on Day 11. It made close to $40M during this Mon-Thurs. Fantastic Beasts will make $10-12M.

Busty

Banned
In terms of sheer awfulness Paramount easily trumps Sony. While their output recently has been questionable, to say the least, at least Sony actually make films. Paramount act like the miner's son who really wants to dance except instead of mining it's producing films when it would rather be studying modern tap.

It's worth noting that Paramount's critical darling Arrival was an acquisition with the studio having nothing to do with the film's production/development. The same is true of Silence which was financed independently but Paramount was given the 'first look' on the US distribution owing to its deal with Scorsese.

Also worth bearing in mind that Paramount has already taken a $100m+ write down on a film (Monster Trucks) that hasn't even been released yet. That move alone not only beggars belief but shows Paramount as a film studio that seems to hate making films.

Harmen

If Wonder Woman fails to hit big, prepare for the deluge of articles saying a female led super hero film will never work.

As much as I wasn't impressed by WW in BvS (I don't know WW other than BvS, outside maybe some very minor cameo's in Batman media), that would suck. I really hope WW does well and that Captain Marvel becomes a success as well. Two successful female led superhero films could lead to some positive changes in the industry, I feel.

Busty

Banned
As much as I wasn't impressed by WW in BvS (I don't know WW other than BvS, outside maybe some very minor cameo's in Batman media), that would suck. I really hope WW does well and that Captain Marvel becomes a success as well. Two successful female led superhero films could lead to some positive changes in the industry, I feel.

The idea that Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Captain Marvel could all 'underperform' doesn't bear thinking about.

If they do we'll be getting Adventures of White Guy #217 from now until the Sun itself burns out.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom