• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's annus horribilis continues

Kilau

As a parent of young kids, Disney has simply lost my trust. I’ve spoken to a few other parents and they agree. Disney used to be safe but now everything has to be screened first. This movie looks fine just not something my kids or I are interested in. Inside Out 2 is something we all want to see but will have to check it out first.

BlackTron

Hell hath no fury like Disney adults scorned.

Adults get defensive over their kids really fast, and Disney is messing with the kids. If you need to watch a movie first before determining you'd be okay with letting your kid watch it, then the brand is severely damaged.

"It's a Disney movie" used to be the OK-for-kids badge. Kids don't get to determine what content is okay, their parents do. When you're scorned by someone you trusted with your kids, alarm bells go off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Adults get defensive over their kids really fast, and Disney is messing with the kids. If you need to watch a movie first before determining you'd be okay with letting your kid watch it, then the brand is severely damaged.

"It's a Disney movie" used to be the OK-for-kids badge. Kids don't get to determine what content is okay, their parents do. When you're scorned by someone you trusted with your kids, alarm bells go off.
Our fam was never into Disney stuff, but everyone knows it's a brand that is supposed to be safe for kids and everyone. Like Nintendo. Just some fairy tale good feeling kind of material. What I remember as a kid was Sundays had some afternoon and dinnertime family shows or cartoons.

Why all the creatives and execs want to get into political stuff is odd as hell. I can understand creatives being weird people in modern day, but you think execs would shut down dumb projects losing money.

Who knows. Maybe the marketing managers are really good at convincing execs that there's low hanging fruit to go after that 2% extra sales if they cater to wokey material. The execs see +2% and jump for joy over hitting targets and getting bonuses.

You dont get that kind of political R&D in most other industries. I've never seen at my company "well, according to research if we market our wood floor cleaner and add a spin to it like left or right leaning people need to clean more, we'll get more sales" or "if we make the packaging red or blue we'll get more sales from that side of voters." or "lets change the box from green to rainbow and have same sex couples holding hands, so we'll get extra sales from gays and lesbians".

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The fixation some people have on them is kinda odd though, right? A lot of grown men who seem more interested in discussing The Little Mermaid than Oppenheimer, in Snow White rather than Killers of the Flower Moon. That kind of attitude, where adults are more interested in films targeted at kids rather than those made for people their age, didn't really seem to be present a few decades ago.
You mean parents have to share information about the stuff being peddled to their kids so they can be informed as to the content and appropriateness of it for their children because the traditional outlets for supervising content have been ruthlessly hijacked or sold out to commercial interests?

rKwKG6U.jpg

Trunx81

A kids movie trough and trough. Lots of singing . It was good songs so it did not bother me. No hidden message. Over all theme was about forgiving and making up with family.
Great kid movie.
The first two are guilty pleasure. My daughter loves the music, I like the humor and some quotable lines. The christmas special on Netflix was good as well. The cartoon show .. not so much.

DKehoe

You mean parents have to share information about the stuff being peddled to their kids so they can be informed as to the content and appropriateness of it for their children because the traditional outlets for supervising content have been ruthlessly hijacked or sold out to commercial interests?

rKwKG6U.jpg
Nah. I'm not just talking about parents being concerned about what their children are watching.

What I am talking about is adults not looking far beyond children's films and shows when it comes to their own entertainment. It's not just been a rise in the discussion around Disney princesses and the like but a decrease in the discussion around media aimed at adults. Even outside of the culture war stuff it seems like people's tastes are getting more restricted.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nah. I'm not just talking about parents being concerned about what their children are watching.

What I am talking about is adults not looking far beyond children's films and shows when it comes to their own entertainment. It's not just been a rise in the discussion around Disney princesses and the like but a decrease in the discussion around media aimed at adults. Even outside of the culture war stuff it seems like people's tastes are getting more restricted.
I see what you are saying. I personally hold streaming and binge dropping series as the death knell of watercooler discussion about shows. Plus there are SO MANY "prestige mystery box" shows these days, on so many services, the pool is shallow but impossibly broad. Even if there is a good show, like say Witcher S1, only so many can watch it, the binge drop means some are on ep2 but others finished the whole thing in a night, it looses the speculation.

House of the Dragon was the last show I really discussed online, can't wait for it to come back. Very few other shows have a plot fast enough for discussion, relationships worth speculating about, and consistent writing to make predictions worth debating versus a "who knows where this is going, clearly the writers don't" atmosphere so many other shows have.

DKehoe

I see what you are saying. I personally hold streaming and binge dropping series as the death knell of watercooler discussion about shows. Plus there are SO MANY "prestige mystery box" shows these days, on so many services, the pool is shallow but impossibly broad. Even if there is a good show, like say Witcher S1, only so many can watch it, the binge drop means some are on ep2 but others finished the whole thing in a night, it looses the speculation.

House of the Dragon was the last show I really discussed online, can't wait for it to come back. Very few other shows have a plot fast enough for discussion, relationships worth speculating about, and consistent writing to make predictions worth debating versus a "who knows where this is going, clearly the writers don't" atmosphere so many other shows have.
Yeh I do think it's become harder for a show to get a cultural foothold. There's so much out there and the churn is just constant. I know we've all been asked "have you seen..." a million times. There's only so much you can keep up with.

I think some streamers switching back to a weekly format helps with that because, like you say, it's easier to be on the same page with a show rather than you're on episode 8 and I'm on episode 2 and we can't really talk about it. Part of the fun of a great show is getting to chat about it with family, friends, co-workers and people online, trying to guess what might happen next or talk about how crazy that twist was in the last episode. Lost maybe isn't the greatest show of all time but the community aspect (the threads about it on here were a lot of fun) made it a great experience. So having a week between episodes gives everyone a chance to have a more communal experience and lets it breathe a bit more. House of the Dragon definitely recaptured that feel.

I think that the endless franchise mining has been a factor too. It seems like people are getting more and more used to franchises and stuff from their childhood being rebooted. So something new really isn't of any interest to them because they'd rather stay with the familiar. If you give some people chicken nuggets endlessly then their palate is going to get used to that.

With films so much of the discussion these days is based around people getting annoyed at films they aren't going to see and those films do tend to be ones for kids or "fun for all the family" types. And it's fine for them to not like the look of those films and not go and see them. They certainly don't owe it to any studio to spend their money on them. But sometimes I wonder if getting annoyed at that stuff is a hobby in itself for some people. There's more out there than just the slop that studios serve up.

It's a shame because getting to dive into conversations about films and shows I've loved is something I really enjoy. Getting to talk through stuff related to it to give yourself a deeper understanding and reading perspectives you might not have considered before. If I've really enjoyed a piece of media then I'll be thinking about it for a while after and so getting to talk about it is an outlet for that. There was some really good stuff with Oppenheimer thread a bit ago. But even that got way less discussion than The Little Mermaid. Personally, I'd rather see a lot more of the former than the latter.

tkscz

Just got back from a disney cruise….

They play movies every day in their on board theaters. Heres what was played:

The Marvels
Wish
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

😐
Was on the Disney wish in October and yeah they kept playing Dial of Destiny. My wife said she'd rather re-watch Crystal Skull than watch Dial of Destiny again. That movie was awful.

Honestly when I saw the first trailer for Wish I thought it might be good, it looked like a Bruce Almighty/Godfellas from Futurama where in someone who has the power to grant wishes understands that it's a huge burden and not all wishes can be granted but our main protagonist gets the power and grants everyone's wishes causing havoc and they have to work together to solve it. But as more and more trailers were released, I could tell it was a run of the mill Disney movie with no real thought or effort put into it . The plot is boringly straight forward, the King is evil with no personality traits to make him likable evil, the protagonist is righteous and boring, the friends are diverse and one note as they just have to be there to be there. The sidekick is quirky but loses their enjoyment rather quickly. So I didn't watch it as I could tell I wouldn't enjoy it.

Last edited:

manfestival

It's supposed to be a celebration of 100 years of Disney animation. It combines CGI with hand drawn animation and contains 100 references to previous Disney movies. Many critics hated it because Wish seems to be one Disney cliche after another.So what was supposed to be a celebration of everything Disney became yet another box office flop in a year with so many expensive Disney flops.

Did not even hear of it until this thread but reading your description of it made it more appealing than watching the actual trailer. The animation and art style is beautiful as to be expected of anything on the disney front but that story seems so... unappealing.

Dural

The fixation some people have on them is kinda odd though, right? A lot of grown men who seem more interested in discussing The Little Mermaid than Oppenheimer, in Snow White rather than Killers of the Flower Moon. That kind of attitude, where adults are more interested in films targeted at kids rather than those made for people their age, didn't really seem to be present a few decades ago.

It's not that we're more interested in these films, it's that we're interested in what our children see and what is being pushed on our children through film. And my mom was way more interested in what certain movies had in them when I was a kid 30 years ago than I do today.

From one video, the Wish movie was going to be something completely different, but then a bunch of "Cool People" decided to change everything to make it more "Correct", then you got what you paid for.

comedy central GIF by Drunk History UK

K' Dash

Universal will curb stomp them once Nintendo starts pumping movies from their IPs

I'm actually surprised that Sony got the Zelda movie, Universal should have pushed to get everything Nintendo.

Except we’re not discussing the film itself but its boxoffice. Also you do know that because a movie is animated doesn’t mean that kids are the target audience. This is not Teletubbies that we’re talking about here.

Nester99

I have young children who love disney, We went to the park a few months back and watch this shit way more than i would care to admit.

No child has said a single thing about this movie, no interest, nothing nada.

The idea was bad, the marketing was worse. - now excuse me while i suffer through Moana and frozen for the 35th time this month.

NickFire

A company that makes money off of children will be scrutinized by parents.

Last edited:

Nester99

Suffer? Is it because you're not SHINY! LIKE A TREASURE FROM A SUNKEN PIRATE WRECK!

Its better than Frozen, but my Boy (3) demanded "your welcome" on repeat this weekend, lol

If i yell out "Mo ANNA" both my kids pipe up "make way, make way..." its super cute but starts to weigh you down after the 100th time.

I wonder if Disney will decide they are a for-profit corporation in a capitalist economy with shareholders who demand profits and decide to pivot away from wokeness or will they ride this woke ship straight down to Davey Jones' Locker.

I remember when Disney made awesome shit like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It wasn't even that long ago.

I can't recall a single woke company that turned it around, once it spreads to HR, you can't even get a job there without having pronouns or ticking their ideology boxes, and it'll just slowly spiral downwards as the actual talented OG staff either leave or get fired for making someone uncomfortable. It's almost parasitic.

Phase

I wonder if Disney will decide they are a for-profit corporation in a capitalist economy with shareholders who demand profits and decide to pivot away from wokeness or will they ride this woke ship straight down to Davey Jones' Locker.

I remember when Disney made awesome shit like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It wasn't even that long ago.
Well in their annual SEC report it basically states they know what they're doing is causing harm to their products, but they've got certain "environmental and social goals" they consider very important... They aren't going to stop this crap any time soon.

"We face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products, which impact demand for our entertainment offerings and products and the profitability of any of our businesses. Our businesses create entertainment, travel and consumer products whose success depends substantially on consumer tastes and preferences that change in often unpredictable ways. The success of our businesses depends on our ability to consistently create compelling content, which may be distributed, among other ways, through broadcast, cable, theaters, internet or mobile technology, and used in theme park attractions, hotels and other resort facilities and travel experiences and consumer products. Such distribution must meet the changing preferences of the broad consumer market and respond to competition from an expanding array of choices facilitated by technological developments in the delivery of content. The success of our theme parks, resorts, cruise ships and experiences, as well as our theatrical releases, depends on demand for public or out-of-home entertainment experiences. Demand for certain out-of-home entertainment experiences, such as theater-going to watch movies, has not returned to pre-pandemic levels. In addition, many of our businesses increasingly depend on acceptance of our offerings and products by consumers outside the U.S. The success of our businesses therefore depends on our ability to successfully predict and adapt to changing consumer tastes and preferences outside as well as inside the U.S. Moreover, we must often invest substantial amounts in content production and acquisition, acquisition of sports rights, launch of new sports-related studio programming, theme park attractions, cruise ships or hotels and other facilities or customer facing platforms before we know the extent to which these products will earn consumer acceptance, and these products may be introduced into a significantly different market or economic or social climate from the one we anticipated at the time of the investment decisions. Generally, our revenues and profitability are adversely impacted when our entertainment offerings and products, as well as our methods to make our offerings and products available to consumers, do not achieve sufficient consumer acceptance. Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands."

"The decline in domestic advertising revenue was due to a decrease of 14% from fewer impressions, reflecting lower average viewership, partially offset by an increase of 7% from higher rates."

"The decrease in licensing revenue was due to lower sales of merchandise based on Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story and Mickey and Friends."

Full report if you want it here.

diffusionx

Gold Member
As a parent of young kids, Disney has simply lost my trust. I’ve spoken to a few other parents and they agree. Disney used to be safe but now everything has to be screened first. This movie looks fine just not something my kids or I are interested in. Inside Out 2 is something we all want to see but will have to check it out first.
I think this is a major part of it. Honestly this Wish movie seems like classic, if safe, Disney. Princess, cute talking animals, comic relief, etc. But a lot of people are skeptical. They're not going to go, because Disney abused their trust to push this messaging.

People at Disney over the years have outright said that they feel they have to implement this "woke" agenda. A lot came out when Florida passed that law and demanded that Chapek DO SOMETHING. These are the people producing these movies and making these decisions. My perception is that this sort of thinking is very widespread within Disney. I think that for the company to get back on track they just have to go and Disney has to very publicly change course.

Last edited:
The fact that I have to screen something made by Disney before my kid watches it is just fucking insane. I can't blindly trust Disney with my child. I'm not sure the execs there truly understand how damning that is.

Maybe people with the time to discuss media online tend to have more childish lives. I count myself in this. My dad wasn't arguing about video games when he was my age.

Last edited:

Pejo

LOL hopefully someone at Disney still realizes they are a for-profit corporation which needs to make profits to satisfy shareholders in this capitalist economy and will be forced to cut back on wokeshit for that reason alone
Damn that was a great article. I forgot all about that Bud Light woman that destroyed the brand.

VulcanRaven

The fact that I have to screen something made by Disney before my kid watches it is just fucking insane. I can't blindly trust Disney with my child. I'm not sure the execs there truly understand how damning that is.
What bad things could be in them that you are scared of? I haven't watched new Disney movies in a long time. The last ones were Soul and Toy Story 4.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The problem Disney has done to itself isn't just limited to low quality flops. Hey, every company releases their share of shit products (New Coke).

As my old grad program prof said: "A brand is a promise" From there you can interpret that as price, image, quality etc....

To me there's more to it than some bad releases:

Disney/Pixar is an all-or-nothing brand. Every animated/CGI movie is branded that as a halo effect. Then there's the film IP brand. So when you got a mix of traditional quality Disney movies and all the recent woke-ish junk that flops critically and commercially, they are stuck because now the Disney brand is getting tainted. They are intermixing ideologies and sketchy quality films in the same brand. Thats where a brand loses value. And Disney is a company that associates the company name as the brand. It's like Colgate. Thats the company name and also the toothpaste.

Just about every other company has different brands. Every chocolate bar is it's own brand even though the parent company owns 20 different candy bars. But most companies purposely brand their products a lot different to get away from each other to prevent too much corporate umbrella halo effect. They will do it if the company name and brand are so strong and linked (Colgate, Coke, Pepsi, Hershey etc...). But when they want to break away from it, when was the last time Disani Water was marketed as from the makers of Coke? Probably never. A lot of people probably dont even know Coke owns this brand. But they are treated separate because the products and ideology are different. One is a sugary pop, the other water. It would be pretty stupid to relabel it Coca-Cola Disani Water.

But Disney is stuck because they plaster Disney/Pixar on everything assuming the brand is so good and strong it'll make every film a success on name alone. By the looks of it, people are getting queasy about the Disney name hence the shit sales.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
alienates families which have been their core market for decades
families don't show up to their movies

shocked pikachu face

their stupid pandering has a snowball effect on their merchandise as well, which is a huge revenue stream. Families not watching the movie are much less likely to buy the merchandise.
How have they alienated families?

NickFire

How have they alienated families?
Feels like a bait question but in case it’s not:

We face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products, which impact demand for our entertainment offerings and products and the profitability of any of our businesses.
Our businesses create entertainment, travel and consumer products whose success depends substantially on consumer tastes and preferences that change in often unpredictable ways. The success of our businesses depends on our ability to consistently create compelling content, which may be distributed, among other ways, through broadcast, cable, theaters, internet or mobile technology, and used in theme park attractions, hotels and other resort facilities and travel experiences and consumer products. Such distribution must meet the changing preferences of the broad consumer market and respond to competition from an expanding array of choices facilitated by technological developments in the delivery of content. The success of our theme parks, resorts, cruise ships and experiences, as well as our theatrical releases, depends on demand for public or out-of-home entertainment experiences. Demand for certain out-of-home entertainment experiences, such as theater-going to watch movies, has not returned to pre-pandemic levels. In addition, many of our businesses increasingly depend on acceptance of our offerings and products by consumers outside the U.S. The success of our businesses therefore depends on our ability to successfully predict and adapt to changing consumer tastes and preferences outside as well as inside the U.S. Moreover, we must often invest substantial amounts in content production and acquisition, acquisition of sports rights, launch of new sports-related studio programming, theme park attractions, cruise ships or hotels and other facilities or customer facing platforms before we know the extent to which these products will earn consumer acceptance, and these products may be introduced into a significantly different market or economic or social climate from the one we anticipated at the time of the investment decisions. Generally, our revenues and profitability are adversely impacted when our entertainment offerings and products, as well as our methods to make our offerings and products available to consumers, do not achieve sufficient consumer acceptance. Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands. Consumer tastes and preferences impact, among other items, revenue from advertising sales (which are based in part on ratings for the programs in which advertisements air), affiliate fees, subscription fees, theatrical film receipts, the license of rights to other distributors, theme park admissions, hotel room charges and merchandise, food and beverage sales, sales of licensed consumer products or sales of our other consumer products and services.

Thats from Disney’s own sec filing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well in their annual SEC report it basically states they know what they're doing is causing harm to their products, but they've got certain "environmental and social goals" they consider very important... They aren't going to stop this crap any time soon.

"We face risks relating to misalignment with public and consumer tastes and preferences for entertainment, travel and consumer products, which impact demand for our entertainment offerings and products and the profitability of any of our businesses. Our businesses create entertainment, travel and consumer products whose success depends substantially on consumer tastes and preferences that change in often unpredictable ways. The success of our businesses depends on our ability to consistently create compelling content, which may be distributed, among other ways, through broadcast, cable, theaters, internet or mobile technology, and used in theme park attractions, hotels and other resort facilities and travel experiences and consumer products. Such distribution must meet the changing preferences of the broad consumer market and respond to competition from an expanding array of choices facilitated by technological developments in the delivery of content. The success of our theme parks, resorts, cruise ships and experiences, as well as our theatrical releases, depends on demand for public or out-of-home entertainment experiences. Demand for certain out-of-home entertainment experiences, such as theater-going to watch movies, has not returned to pre-pandemic levels. In addition, many of our businesses increasingly depend on acceptance of our offerings and products by consumers outside the U.S. The success of our businesses therefore depends on our ability to successfully predict and adapt to changing consumer tastes and preferences outside as well as inside the U.S. Moreover, we must often invest substantial amounts in content production and acquisition, acquisition of sports rights, launch of new sports-related studio programming, theme park attractions, cruise ships or hotels and other facilities or customer facing platforms before we know the extent to which these products will earn consumer acceptance, and these products may be introduced into a significantly different market or economic or social climate from the one we anticipated at the time of the investment decisions. Generally, our revenues and profitability are adversely impacted when our entertainment offerings and products, as well as our methods to make our offerings and products available to consumers, do not achieve sufficient consumer acceptance. Further, consumers’ perceptions of our position on matters of public interest, including our efforts to achieve certain of our environmental and social goals, often differ widely and present risks to our reputation and brands."

"The decline in domestic advertising revenue was due to a decrease of 14% from fewer impressions, reflecting lower average viewership, partially offset by an increase of 7% from higher rates."

"The decrease in licensing revenue was due to lower sales of merchandise based on Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story and Mickey and Friends."

Full report if you want it here.
Real Life Love GIF by Abbey Luck

This is what "too big to fail" looks like. WEF and all that globalist agenda.

Top Bottom