• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's annus horribilis continues

Tams

Nintendo don't own the whole Pokémon company and money talks.

No, but they are the sole owners of all the Pokémon trademarks, as well as their holdings in The Pokémon Company and the other companies who have holdings in The Pokémon Company.

Anyway, thr notion of Disney buying up everything is horrible for our hobby and society as whole. Be ashamed you even suggested it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No, but they are the sole owners of all the Pokémon trademarks, as well as their holdings in The Pokémon Company and the other companies who have holdings in The Pokémon Company.

Anyway, thr notion of Disney buying up everything is horrible for our hobby and society as whole. Be ashamed you even suggested it.

Hey, I'm not saying I'd like it, but that's the way the world is going.

With the rise of streaming and subscriptions, content is now currency. All the biggest tech and entertainment companies on earth are only going to get bigger and bigger.

I mentioned this before in the gaming forum, but the same applies for all entertainment properties. In 10 years or so, all entertainment properties will be held by a handful of companies. These companies will be so wealthy from all their owned content, that they'll have more power than most countries on earth.

With the rise of new forms of content delivery, like the metaverse for example, these companies will be going to war with eachother over our time and investment. I mean war in a literal sense. They'll have so much power that they'll command vast armies and attack eachother over control of the smallest publisher, IP, video game developer etc.

Most of humanity won't even notice. We'll be hooked up to machines and consuming whatever content is thrown at us.

So yes, Disney buying more IPs gives them more power and content. It means they can make combined universes that were the stuff of fan fiction, like Luke Skywalker with Pokémon fighting Venom. It'll be poor, but the people will lap it up and beg for more.

Also, yes I am very, very drunk.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Looking at AQ1 vs AQ2, I didn't know both movies came out the same time (AQ1 Dec 20th and AQ2 21st of their respective years).

Numbers.com shows after Jan 2 AQ1 US domestic sales at $222M, and Jan 3 AQ2 at $87M. I took the numbers one day apart like their launch dates.

So going by the US market, AQ2 is about $135M behind, or -61% calendar aligned.
Oh for sure, AQ2 is a disaster compared to AQ1, but it did better than The Marvels so that film can retain all their "worst performing" awards :p AQ2 might actually ooze into profitability if the marketing spend was light.

Top Bottom