• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mario movie set to cruise past a billion at the box office and become the bigget video game movie by a huge margin

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This cameo melted my heart.

donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-uhd-4k-wallpaper-scaled-e1578051728513.jpg

It was always my dream to see him and more in a movie.

In that era i was a huge fan of the franchise.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

That's not a problem in an of itself, as tropey as it is.

The problem is that it has to be in contrast to an incompetent protagonist, who then by definition is not needed and has no agency.

A movie with a protagonist who has no agency backed up by supporting characters who don't need him and have no development is a bad movie.

And this movie (just got back) is very bad.
Boy, Peach sure showed Bowser his place when he came to collect.

Oh wait, she didn’t, it’s Mario and Luigi that wasted him. So much for agency.

Last edited:

Davevil

It still remains a mystery how Nintendo didn't use the launch of the movie to launch a new Mario game and/or a new console

Also it destroy last Disney's shit

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It still remains a mystery how Nintendo didn't use the launch of the movie to launch a new Mario game and/or a new console

Also it destroy last Disney's shit
Nintendo is pretty damn strict when it comes to mainline Mario games, I honestly don't think they give a fuck about making any sort of movie-tie-in.

And they got the Switch and tons of Mario games out, and everyone knows where to get them. It's not the same thing as something like The Witcher or The Last of Us. With those shows, some people will get tuned into the respective franchises as they never heard of them before, with Mario, everyone already knows exactly what it is and where to get it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder if this is causing panic at Disney because all their shit lately has flopped and they’ve tried to shift the blame to the pandemic, economy, well anything but their shitty movies.
The contest between Strange World and this is astonishing. Strange World shoved ultra woke BS down people’s throats and was a massive flop. Mario pushes no agenda, gets trashed by critics due to that, and is going to fly past $1B.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The contest between Strange World and this is astonishing. Strange World shoved ultra woke BS down people’s throats and was a massive flop. Mario pushes no agenda, gets trashed by critics due to that, and is going to fly past $1B.
It didn't really push anything, one of the characters was gay, and it wasn't part of the plot or anything. Don't believe the rage baters.

It was just a bad movie.

btw, the same rage baters are claiming that Mario is a side character to Peach and akshually she saves him, so you maybe it's time to tune them off.

Last edited:
Apparently, according to rumors, the production company tried to do the usual Hollywood bs of sidelining Mario and make Peach the girl boss protagonist. Supposedly Nintendo intervened and made them make Mario the main character.

It makes sense to me, there's too many of these disgusting "activists" everywhere in Hollywood.

I wonder if they learned their lesson?

Sybrix

Whomever doesn’t like this movie is just a edge lord who really just likes being a contrarian more than being honest.

Took my kids twice and they sat and laughed both times.

Right, took my niece and nephew and they loved it, this is who that movie is aimed it.

This movie isn't aimed at Mario fans since 1982.

If you're a 20-35+ year old Mario fan thinking this movie is for you....... it isn't.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Right, took my niece and nephew and they loved it, this is who that movie is aimed it.

If you're a 20-35+ year old Mario fan thinking this movie is for you....... it isn't.
It's 100% is. I loved it. I don't think it's amazing, but it's fun and fan service galore.

Vestal

Gold Member

Soon to be 45 year old here and I loved it! 💪🤣😁

Wow... it took Hollywood more than 20 years to figure out how to make a videogame adaptation into a movie

Time to do the adaptation of Zelda Ocarina of time or ALTTP.
Yes, not to mention, all Nintendo IP should be animated. There's no reason not to have it that way. Pokémon could be an exception to the rule, but a live action Zelda (or Cellda) would suck.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Whomever doesn’t like this movie is just a edge lord who really just likes being a contrarian more than being honest.

Took my kids twice and they sat and laughed both times.
As someone with a contrarian tag, I went in with the same mindset... i.e., its a kids movie, as long as my kids enjoy it and i see great CG, it will be fine... everyone else is overreacting.

But man, it was a very hard watch. I was constantly looking at my watch. The movie has constant action but nothing else. Bowser's song was literally the only highlight of this otherwise mediocre movie.

This honestly felt like a michael bay movie. It is way too action packed and doesnt allow its characters time to grow and shine.

Kev Kev

I'm gonna give it a month till the crowds at the theatre die down, but I can't wait to watch this with my niece and nephew. Their parents don't let them go too hard on the video games, so I like to spoil them when they come visit. I'm not sure they've ever even played Mario, but they're both excited for the movie. It's so much fun to share these experiences with them and see how they react to and enjoy the same things I grew up with.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm gonna give it a month till the crowds at the theatre die down, but I can't wait to watch this with my niece and nephew. Their parents don't let them go too hard on the video games, so I like to spoil them when they come visit. I'm not sure they've ever even played Mario, but they're both excited for the movie. It's so much fun to share these experiences with them and see how they react to and enjoy the same things I grew up with.
I hear your niece and nephew think you are great. You are the cool uncle.

I'm more amazed Warcraft actually sold $439 million worth of tickets.
About that...
This is Warcraft's box office numbers:

WW: $439M
Domestic: ..... $47M (yeah...)

China: $225,547,500

Yeah...more than half of the movie's gross came from China alone. Since it cost 160M to make, it never even broke even and that's why there's no sequel.

The film grossed $47.4 million in the United States[7] and $439 million worldwide based on its considerable success in China, where it grossed $225.5 million, making it the highest-grossing video game adaptation of all time. However, it failed to reach its break-even point of $500 million after global marketing and distribution, thus making it a box-office bomb and received generally negative reviews from critics.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The most surprising news in this thread is that people actually went to the movies to see Tom Holland as fucking Nathan Drake.

What a fucking disgrace.
I saw it streaming, I like these types of silly movies but yeah, wouldnt've seen it in a theater.

Wildebeest

Ten years ago "experts" on game forums were telling me that Mario was a dead IP for children that is overused and nobody will care about it in the future due to mature gritty western IP changing everything.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I saw the movie tonight. It’s good fun. It doesn’t really do anything wrong. Whoever says the live action was better is an idiot and should be banned to idiot island, never to be heard of again, and cancelled from history. Because there’s a limit to how much of an idiot one can be, and that is definitely far beyond that limit.

I saw the movie tonight. It’s good fun. It doesn’t really do anything wrong. Whoever says the live action was better is an idiot and should be banned to idiot island, never to be heard of again, and cancelled from history. Because there’s a limit to how much of an idiot one can be, and that is definitely far beyond that limit.

I like the live action film (mostly from an ironic viewpoint), but I'll easily admit that it's not a better film, or more enjoyable for most audiences, than this new one.

NahaNago

It’s going to be above 700M with this weeks numbers + next weekend alone…
I hope it is. I'm just hesitant to declare a billion dollar victory until it hits a billion. How much of a drop will the second week be. Everyone was raving over john wick doing so well, I was starting to think that was going to be nearly a billion from the way folks were talking.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I hope it is. I'm just hesitant to declare a billion dollar victory until it hits a billion. How much of a drop will the second week be. Everyone was raving over john wick doing so well, I was starting to think that was going to be nearly a billion from the way folks were talking.
Always a possibility it won't, but John Wick has a very specific audience, while SMBM is really everyone.

Top Bottom