• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mario movie set to cruise past a billion at the box office and become the bigget video game movie by a huge margin

Bragr

Banned
"Illumination and Universal’s Nintendo video game adaptation The Super Mario Bros. Movie shattered all expectations and broke numerous records in its box office debut over the long Easter holiday weekend. The pic scored the top opening of all time for an animated film with $377 million in worldwide ticket sales. The massive five-day domestic haul is $204.6 million, including $146.4 million for the three-day weekend, while the overseas tally stands at $173 million from 70 markets."

---

The Mario movie is already top 6 and is set to cross over a billion relatively easily, absolutely demolishing any previous video game movie.

Now, this was over the easter weekend, and I think it's over 5 days because of that, but in contrast, Top Gun Maverick had a 248k opening. So this is a gigantic movie by any means.

Top 10 biggest video game movies so far, according to Wikipedia:

1. WarCraft - 439k
2. Detective Pikachu - 433k
3. Rampage - 428k
4. Sonic 2 - 405k
5. Uncharted - 401k
6. Super Mario Bros - 377k
7. Angry Birds Movie - 352k
8. Prince of Persia - 336k
9. Sonic - 320k
10. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 312k

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
There's a Rampage movie? And why the fuck is it in the top 10? Top 3, even.

Edit: The Rock.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
That's really all it takes for a billion?

Huh ...

Well, great for nintendo and illumination. And maybe we'll get more adaptations out of it

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Video Games Nintendo GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Mario going to punch out the competition.

E-Cat

This might have a huge secondary impact on console & game sales. Nintendo stock to moon tmrw?

Azurro

Banned
So, you make a movie for the target demographic, do not denigrate the main character nor make some external female character a "girl boss", focus on making a fun and entertaining movie with a beloved IP and you end up making a lot of money? No sir, this cannot be. They are not spreading THE MESSAGE, this is clearly a crime.

Last edited:

reksveks

So, you make a movie for the target demographic, do not denigrate the main character nor make some external female character a "girl boss", focus on making a fun and entertaining movie with a beloved IP and you end up making a lot of money? No sir, this cannot be. They are not spreading THE MESSAGE, this is clearly a crime.
Hmmm, some people don't like Princess Peach in this film cause she does seem very much a girl boss. I know she ain't an external character though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

E-Cat

I won't comment on that.... I would say that Illumination have no issues with sexy characters imo see Halsey character in Sing 2.
It's Nintendo at the end of the day who are the guardians of the IP.

Edit: Also, I googled "Halsey in Sing 2" and it's a furry? I have no idea how to gauge furry sexiness.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's Nintendo at the end of the day who are the guardians of the IP.
Yeah, but I just think they (Illumination or Nintendo) went down a different art style and design and no one was really thinking about how sexy Peach was or wasn't. Or if the design would be offensive.

ByWatterson

Hmmm, some people don't like Princess Peach in this film cause she does seem very much a girl boss. I know she ain't an external character though.

That's not a problem in an of itself, as tropey as it is.

The problem is that it has to be in contrast to an incompetent protagonist, who then by definition is not needed and has no agency.

A movie with a protagonist who has no agency backed up by supporting characters who don't need him and have no development is a bad movie.

And this movie (just got back) is very bad.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
This is why critics are useless.

If a name of the movie is big, people will watch it. They don't care about critics score.

near

Gold Member
I expected this to do well, but that's an insane opening. Easily has the potential to be a $1bn grosser worldwide.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I dunno about you, but they sure seemed to "Girl Boss" up Peach to me.

reksveks

This is why critics are useless.

If a name of the movie is big, people will watch it. They don't care about critics score.
Critics maybe useless is predicting the success and general enjoyment of movies but that isn't their purpose.

Professional critics like reviews only really have an impact on the commercial success of smaller films/productions.

Azurro

Banned

Apparently, according to rumors, the production company tried to do the usual Hollywood bs of sidelining Mario and make Peach the girl boss protagonist. Supposedly Nintendo intervened and made them make Mario the main character.

It makes sense to me, there's too many of these disgusting "activists" everywhere in Hollywood.

Batiman

Banned
Just seen it. Thought it was pretty good. Very safe and straightforward, but that’s what I want from this IP anyways. Keep it simple. I wish Pokémon kept it simple as well instead of detective pikachu

Eotheod

That's not a problem in an of itself, as tropey as it is.

The problem is that it has to be in contrast to an incompetent protagonist, who then by definition is not needed and has no agency.

A movie with a protagonist who has no agency backed up by supporting characters who don't need him and have no development is a bad movie.

And this movie (just got back) is very bad.
But Mario does have agency? Throughout the entire movie his purpose is reuniting with his brother and doing so at any cost. His need to join Peach on the quest is backed up by his need to find his brother. Plus there is Mario learning the world and having Peach require him to be competent to take on Bowser so he isn't dead weight.
She was fine, barely a "girl boss" compared to other derivative showcases in film and television. There was still an underlying hint of "the princess needs saving!" that we've come to expect from the game's, just in a modern take that allowed both characters to grow. I mean, Peach has always been a bit of a girl boss anyway, she literally runs a kingdom in the games.

Nintendo has an almost limitless potential for more movies: Zelda, Smash Bros, Luigis Mansion, Metroid, Donkey Kong, it all could easily translate.

Smash Bros will be the crossover movie.

She was fine, barely a "girl boss" compared to other derivative showcases in film and television. There was still an underlying hint of "the princess needs saving!" that we've come to expect from the game's, just in a modern take that allowed both characters to grow. I mean, Peach has always been a bit of a girl boss anyway, she literally runs a kingdom in the games.

I had heard in early scripts that it was going to be the case where Peach was going to be that and Mario a lot more bumbling but then Nintendo stepped in.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Wow... it took Hollywood more than 20 years to figure out how to make a videogame adaptation into a movie

Time to do the adaptation of Zelda Ocarina of time or ALTTP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom