• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney lost $200million on Strange World to not upset LGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They shouldn't compromise their filmmakers' artistic vision in order to coddle the sensibilities of a few online crybabies.
Dude, their artists are the ones putting this stuff in their movies. the execs had no choice but to bend the knee because pixar employees went public with their criticisms.

hollywood just like the video game industry is infested with pink haired agenda pushing freaks who have absolutely no desire to tell a good story.

Dude, their artists are the ones putting this stuff in their movies. the execs had no choice but to bend the knee because pixar employees went public with their criticisms.

hollywood just like the video game industry is infested with pink haired agenda pushing freaks who have absolutely no desire to tell a good story.
Exactly. People think it's the woke crowd that's demanding these changes but the fact is the low cloud or the ones working on this stuff in the first place.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

And yet great movies and great games come out every year.

How does that work if everything is so "infested"? 🤔

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since returning, Iger has undone Chapek’s streaming reorganization, fired McCarthy as CFO, and put Bergman and Walden back in control of budget and distribution decisions for their content. But those moves haven’t been, and are unlikely to be, a quick fix for the company’s woes. Under Bergman’s watch, Disney has had a string of movie failures. This year, the live-action “The Little Mermaid,” “Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny” and “Haunted Mansion” have disappointed at the box office. The Hollywood Reporter called the latter “one of the worst starts ever among Disney’s live-action reimaginings of theme park attractions or classic animated films.”
Never even heard of Haunted Mansion. I must had missed every TV ad. Googling it, it got bad reviews and only made $100M sales on a budget of about $150M which is production budget only.

Zok310

Banned
Disney bends the knee to any and all pushback regarding lgbtq race or whatever. The are terrified of the very vocal minority on social media and they aren’t going to change any time soon. Most of their current offerings are terrible now.
Its more than just vocal minority, for many lgbtq its life or death they get so much hate. Disney will always support and stand up for that community.

Dude, the guy just warn them that the film was too polarizing to be released. The only reason they launched the film anyway was out of fear from the own LGBTwhatever community.

Polarizing and not up to Disney quality standards. If the movie was actually good, and the main was gay, it would’ve been fine.

Unfuckingbelievable! This type of BS is exactly why the stock keeps dropping. They don't seem to understand who their audience is and where they get their money, hint, it's not the LGBT community. Until they get back on track providing the type of family movies without their not so secret agenda, their stock is just going to continue to tank. Are they all really that out of touch?
There was a time when Disney was about the only place to find quality G and PG rated kids movies, and the biggest supporters of their work were religious families with children.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Disney bends the knee to any and all pushback regarding lgbtq race or whatever. The are terrified of the very vocal minority on social media and they aren’t going to change any time soon. Most of their current offerings are terrible now.
Even Disney has lost a lot of quality, even in video games like the garbage that is Disney Illusion Island

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There was a time when Disney was about the only place to find quality G and PG rated kids movies, and the biggest supporters of their work were religious families with children.
Crazy. All Disney had to do is keep on churning out family friendly stuff and the company wouldnt be in such a disaster mode. Only recently does it seem everything has gone wrong. Shit movies, oversaturation of franchises, losing tons of money on sub plans (already in sub count decline), wokey content.

And for anyone saying Disney has to adjust to keep up with the times is complete nonsense. McDonalds is probably among the most boring companies out there. All they do is adjust some menu items here and there, and even still got that Monopoly game which I remember from the 80s. Same burgers, fries, etc... Company is at record levels and stock price. People know what to expect when they buy McDonalds.

As my old marketing professor in year one university said to us know nothing high school grads:

Prof: What is a brand?

Me in my head: How the fuck do I know? It's just a company symbol.

Prof: A brand/logo is supposed to represent something. It's a promise that conveys a certain kind of image, product etc....

Makes sense to me. Does anyone here really think Disney has that same fam friendly image from before? Not to me. It seems to me they churn out endless shit of sketchy quality and have got political.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned

To be fair Disney has been trying to shed that image for *years*, to not much success. The Black Cauldron was uncharacteristically dark, putting off their traditional audience.
Many titles like Tron, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The Nightmare Before Christmas have cult fanbases (they were domestic distributor for the 1993 Super Mario Bros too), but that isn't enough to prop up a company so large.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair Disney has been trying to shed that image for *years*, to not much success. The Black Cauldron was uncharacteristically dark, putting off their traditional audience.
Many titles like Tron, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The Nightmare Before Christmas have cult fanbases (they were domestic distributor for the 1993 Super Mario Bros too), but that isn't enough to prop up a company so large.
Then they should go back to making more studios like Touchstone where the branding can take on another meaning. Checking out their wiki page, Disney funnels all their movies into a handful of key brands/studios. And many of them are obvious ones meant for those IPs within Lucas, Nature and Marvel segments.

So when it comes to kids and family movies, it looks like they got no choice but to put it under the Disney brand unless they want to label it created under 20th Century Fox which would be kind of weird. So what happens over time is casual parents Tom and Theresa see some of these crap projects and wokish content and associates it with traditional Disney. So over time, they slowly ween off the content as too non-family friendly for their tastes.

violence

Disney is fully infiltrated by the weirdos at this point. I wouldn’t want my kids watching this for the same reason I don’t want them watching Friday the 13th.

GymWolf

It was just a bad film, removing the LGBT stuff would still leave you with a bad film. Lightyear suffered a similar fate, they are releasing movies nobody wants to actually watch. Elemental is great but Disney purposefully devalued Pixar's by throwing their stuff straight to Disney+ during the pandemic so now folks associate Pixar with "straight to VHS" movies.

With Snow White and The Marvels on the horizon I don't think they've learnt any lessons, maybe the shareholders are shorting the stock on the side or something.

When will they play the Live action Frozen card?
They already shared a pic of the main actress

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom