• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•25-27•16 - Disney not-a-Princess says 'aloha!' to not-Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

That's even worse as it doesn't obey the rules of the universe that they literally just set up. The idea that he's 'not ready to wield the power' is an even weaker plot device as it is no different from a 'promise not to use your time travel powers' like Hiro from Heroes back in the day.

If they are dealing with life and death, the ultimate decision in life surely, and the
ability to bring anyone back from the dead
(which in and of itself suggests
there is no God in the MCU
, never mind) they need more than a "when you're ready" especially as he's already
brought a co-star back from the dead

99.9% of viewers aren't going to care about this, and it will absolutely have no impact on viewer reception of the MCU moving forward. That's my point. To you (and others) it might, but this isn't going to cause the public to stop going to see superhero films.

Busty

Banned
OK, dare to explain why?

Are you american?

I am British.

I live in Europe.

Everyone I know has heard of Wonder Woman.

Everyone.

99.9% of viewers aren't going to care about this, and it will absolutely have no impact on viewer reception of the MCU moving forward. That's my point. To you (and others) it might, but this isn't going to cause the public to stop going to see superhero films.

I didn't say it would!

Tobor

The eye is as powerful as it is because it's an
infinity stone
. This is also why Strange shouldn't be playing around with it at will.

EDIT: had a tough time getting that spoilered. Lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am British.

I live in Europe.

Everyone.
Heard about is not know about. And cool, from two guys on NeoGAF everyone have heard of Wonder Woman

This confirms that everyone in Asia, Europe and Asia knows her perfectly and will bother to go in her movie. DC is saved!

Busty

Banned
Heard about is not know about.

What a strangely beautiful post. Have you ever considered writing lyrics for Coldplay?

Why did I bother responding at all?

To be fair, you said that plot device was what was going to let all of the air out of the MCU. I'm stating that audiences won't care, and therefore it won't.

Creatively it will. Will it mean people stop going to see them? Probably not. Transformers and all that.

Hell, Fox have clearly stopped bothering about logic of any sort when it comes to their X-Men films. People don't seem to mind. There are 21 years between First Class and Apocalypse and no one cares.

milanbaros

Member?
Heard about is not know about. And cool, from two guys on NeoGAF everyone have heard of Wonder Woman

This confirms that everyone in Asia, Europe and Asia knows her perfectly and will bother to go in her movie. DC is saved!

The awareness of WW in UK would be very high even if no one has actually read/watched her entertainment.

I am British.

I live in Europe.

Everyone.

maybe in the uk as it's a lot closer to the US due to languege but mainland europe? i'm very geeky and never heard of her until like two years ago. i still don't know who she is or what she can do.

superheroes weren't a thing here outside of those who had movies.

Ithil

I'd say First Avenger didn't do great

It didn't do incredibly well but I would call that and Thor a sort of "loss leader" film, that needed to happen to introduce the characters and build up for Avengers, which obviously paid off hugely. Now the MCU is such that the solo introduction films are all blockbusters themselves, not just the teamup films, but that occurred from the gradual and patient brand construction.

I would have said Captain America was a hard sell in the 2010s for a variety of reasons, and he was, but it paid off in the end with careful management; now he's easily one of their star attractions, and not just in the US.

guek

Banned
That's even worse as it doesn't obey the rules of the universe that they literally just set up. The idea that he's 'not ready to wield the power' is an even weaker plot device as it is no different from a 'promise not to use your time travel powers' like Hiro from Heroes back in the day.

If they are dealing with life and death, the ultimate decision in life surely, and the
ability to bring anyone back from the dead
(which in and of itself suggests
there is no God in the MCU
, never mind) they need more than a "when you're ready" especially as he's already
brought a co-star back from the dead
You got few things off

Wong was not singled out when resurrected, dozens of people were resurrected simultaneously in the process of restoring the sanctum. The Ancient One was also not resurrected which would have been incredibly easy to do. They make a point of stressing that time should not be manipulated outside of extreme circumstances like when all of reality is threatened. On top of all that, Strange doesn't even have the stone anymore, won't have it in Thor Ragnarok, and will likely lose it in the next movie in which it appears.

Your complaints of inconsistency or plot breaking don't hold much water.

Busty

Banned
You got few things off

Wong was not singled out when resurrected, dozens of people were resurrected simultaneously in the process of restoring the sanctum. The Ancient One was also not resurrected which would have been incredibly easy to do. They make a point of stressing that time should not be manipulated outside of extreme circumstances like when all of reality is threatened. On top of all that, Strange doesn't even have the stone anymore, won't have it in Thor Ragnarok, and will likely lose it in the next movie in which it appears.

Your complaints of inconsistency or plot breaking don't hold much water.

You aren't serious? Are you seriously saying my argument doesn't hold water because he uses it on
dozens of people rather than just Wong
?!

Good grief.

If anything that reinforces my point.

You got few things off

They make a point of stressing that time should not be manipulated outside of extreme circumstances like when all of reality is threatened..

Ahhh, so only when
'reality is threatened'
and that's probably not going to happen in Infinity Wars then?

It's nonsense.
Bringing a character back from the dead is the ultimate lazy, hackneyed plot device. It totally ruins the idea that anyone can die given that anyone can be brought back with some green light show

You aren't serious? Are you seriously saying my argument doesn't hold water because he uses it on
?!

Good grief.

Ahhh, so only when
'reality is threatened'

It's nonsense.
Bringing a character back from the dead is the ultimate lazy, hackneyed plot device. It totally ruins the idea that anyone can die given that anyone can be brought back with some green light show

However, in Infinity War, when all reality is threatened, Strange won't have the ability to do that trick again. (Doctor Strange spoiler)
Since Thanos will have the time gem at the time, and Strange won't.

guek

Banned
?!

Good grief.

Ahhh, so only when
'reality is threatened'

It's nonsense.

You're missing the point. Perhaps drop the condescension.

What you're describing doesn't even occur in that movie,
People aren't brought back to life deliberately. The only instance where resurrection occurs is a byproduct of restoring the sanctum which was an extreme circumstance. You're ignoring that they could have used it selfishly to bring back the Ancient One but didn't for clearly defined reasons. Who the hell knows what's going to happen in Infinity War, maybe the stones will be used carelessly in a way that undermines any and all stakes but that's not guaranteed or even likely based on what we've seen. Your argument that anyone can be brought back at any time is completely absurd.

Tobor

However, in Infinity War, when all reality is threatened, Strange won't have the ability to do that trick again. (Doctor Strange spoiler)

Right. That's why this is a non issue. Yes, the eye is too powerful for someone like Strange to have or use. While it worked out in this movie, it won't always be that way. That will be made abundantly clear going forward.

Peru

I live in Norway and most everyone here has heard about her too. Kids will recognise the suit and dress up as her.

Not know about? Not any less than superheroes in general. People generally don't "know" superheroes beyond their looks in Europe. There's no traidition for reading superhero comic books. So they know her look, her name. Same with Superman and Batman beyond the movies: They just know superheroes as pop cultural icons.

For sure Wonder Woman is more known in Europe than any non-Spidey Marvel hero prior to the MCU.

Busty

Banned

But the fact that Thanos steals the gem doesn't mean that A)
Strange brought people back from the dead
and B) It still exists within the universe and is still in use in terms of a narrative device.

This bell has been rung and cannot be unrung, narratively speaking.

ESPECIALLY you for this exact reason :p

*nods*

I understand, old boy.

*sips tea*

johnny956

...What is going on in this thread?

I think it's wonder woman's reach in Europe which will be fine but back to box office. Monday Fantastic Beasts did $2.1 million compared to Moana's $2.3 million so either Moana had a hard drop or Beasts is holding really well

But next year we have the best DC movie to look forward to:
tumblr_oamjsvdyom1qjvd0ko1_1280.jpg

It actually looks surprisingly awesome

Aint nothing surprising about it. Batman was one of the best parts of the LEGO Movie, and that movie was shockingly great. I thought it was just going to be some crass, soulless toy commercial, but it was actually a great film. It just also happened to be a toy commercial.

The LEGO Batman Movie for me is looking like Galaxy Quest or Shaun of the Dead. It is obviously a big love letter to something, and digging deep for references and fun, but also recognizing the inherent silliness of it all and not afraid to make fun of it. It is a very, very fine line to walk.

BumRush

Aint nothing surprising about it. Batman was one of the best parts of the LEGO Movie, and that movie was shockingly great. I thought it was just going to be some crass, soulless toy commercial, but it was actually a great film. It just also happened to be a toy commercial.

The LEGO Batman Movie for me is looking like Galaxy Quest or Shaun of the Dead. It is obviously a big love letter to something, and digging deep for references and fun, but also recognizing the inherent silliness of it all and not afraid to make fun of it. It is a very, very fine line to walk.

Well said

All this argument about bringing people back from the dead seems kinda silly when you consider that Thanos
literally kills half the universe, then resurrects them in Infinity Challenge-- which is the likely inspiration for the upcoming movie.

Comic books aren't known for having lasting consequences, and the movies will go that way too. X-franchise already has.

Mahvel movies have no chance at bombing for the foreseeable future. Their success is guaranteed.

I mean, there hasn't been an outright BAD Marvel debut movie yet. We will see, the combination of an unknown hero and a straight up shitty movie could break the seemingly unending streak.

I am trying to remember if it was in a BO thread or another one where a poster went off about how offensive LEGO Batman is and it is a disrespect to the Batman character. It was a good laugh since that person seemed incapable of having a laugh about Batman.

I mean, there hasn't been an outright BAD Marvel debut movie yet. We will see, the combination of an unknown hero and a straight up shitty movie could break the seemingly unending streak.

True that. But, I don't see Marvel breaking too far from their mold. They will take some chances, but nothing too extreme.
I just wonder what will happen when Feige steps down. If he does.

MANUELF

Banned
About Wonder Woman I only know her because of the Justice League cartoon, aside of that? nothing else

PS: Im from Mexico

Everyone knows who Wonder Woman is. That doesn't mean that everyone will go see the film.

Unless the early buzz is very damning, I think WW will have a good opening weekend, but nothing gangbusters. The quality of the film will affect the legs a lot after that.

Worst case scenario: Green Lantern level gross domestic. Worldwide will pick up some of the slack from there.

Tobor

But the fact that Thanos steals the gem doesn't mean that A)
Strange brought people back from the dead
and B) It still exists within the universe and is still in use in terms of a narrative device.

This bell has been rung and cannot be unrung, narratively speaking.

*nods*

I understand, old boy.

*sips tea*

I'm guessing you've never read the Infinity Guantlet.

What you are complaining about is one of the reasons why the stones are so dangerous in the wrong hands. When you get them all you are literally omnipotent.

Yes, you can bring back the dead in the MCU. This is not a bell that needs to be unrung. It's part of the source material.

All this argument about bringing people back from the dead seems kinda silly when you consider that Thanos
literally kills half the universe, then resurrects them in Infinity Challenge-- which is the likely inspiration for the upcoming movie.

Comic books aren't known for having lasting consequences, and the movies will go that way too. X-franchise already has.

Exactly. Complaining about the infinity stones being too powerful is chuckle worthy. That's the whole point.

Litan

Civil War comic event was also the inspiration for the 3rd cap movie, but they changed all the shitty stuff.
The same team is behind the next avengers movies, so hopefully they leave out the bad stuff in the comic events.

kswiston

The infinity stones are probably going to be destroyed or something in infinity war. Unlike comics, setting up the infinity gauntlet is a one time pay out. Once the end game with them is played out, there's no real need to keep them around from a MCU storytelling position.

I think it's wonder woman's reach in Europe which will be fine but back to box office. Monday Fantastic Beasts did $2.1 million compared to Moana's $2.3 million so either Moana had a hard drop or Beasts is holding really well

Moana is an animated film that largely plays to families. Animated films have lower weekdays during the school year. The less you film targets families or the high school crowd, the lighter your Monday drops are. That's also why Allied was #3 and Arrival was #4 on Monday, despite the fact that Doctor Strange made more than both over the weekend.

For those interested, Deadline is saying $3.2M for Moana and $3.0M for Fantastic Beasts on Tuesday. The actuals should be fairly close. Frozen made $2.5M and Tangled made $1.7M on that same Tuesday. However, cheap Tuesday has lead to much bigger Tuesday bumps in recent years.

Tobor

The infinity stones are probably going to be destroyed or something in infinity war. Unlike comics, setting up the infinity gauntlet is a one time pay out. Once the end game with them is played out, there's no real need to keep them around from a MCU storytelling position.

Agreed. Although they could be "lost" or somehow removed as a threat rather than outright destroyed.

Either way, they will be out of pocket of our heroes and not a concern as plot destroying elements in future solo films.

Penguin

But next year we have the best DC movie to look forward to:
tumblr_oamjsvdyom1qjvd0ko1_1280.jpg

Speaking of LEGO Batman and digging for references, Billy Dee Williams will be voicing Two-Face, which is awesome.

Speaking of LEGO Batman and digging for references, Billy Dee Williams will be voicing Two-Face, which is awesome.
That is confirmed? Amazing news.

Also, all the villains coming out as mini figures warms my heart. I hope they all show up in the film, even if for a second.

For crying out loud, they are making a Kite Man figure!

BumRush

For those interested, Deadline is saying $3.2M for Moana and $3.0M for Fantastic Beasts on Tuesday. The actuals should be fairly close. Frozen made $2.5M and Tangled made $1.7M on that same Tuesday. However, cheap Tuesday has lead to much bigger Tuesday bumps in recent years.

Awesome news for both films.

kswiston

The Japanese film, "Your Name" is well on its way to being the second biggest anime film of all time in Japan after Spirited Away. It will eventually clear $200M USD, and has just passed Princess Mononoke's final gross. Howl's moving castle is next, but Spirited Away is out of reach.

Furthermore, its Chinese release this weekend is shaping up to be big. With about 24 hours before the midnight premiere, presales are at ~23M Yuan ($3.3M USD). Presales for both Doctor Strange were at 11-12M Yuan at that same point. Doctor Strange ended up grossing ~$110M in China, and Fantastic Beasts is looking likely to finish in the $90-100M range. Your Name might be more frontloaded in terms of presales, but breaking $100M USD in China is looking possible.

Regardless of where exactly it lands in China, Your Name is going to end up being the highest grossing anime film of all time worldwide, and very likely the first to break $300M WW.

EDIT 2: forgot about Howl's Moving Castle. Updated the post above to reflect that.

BumRush

Beasts 505M ww like daisy, Disney always got their pharmacies running for cartoons profit. Wait for pixar added a princess in RO.

Your posts always remind me of that South Park episode where the kids discovered that family guy episodes were conceived by manatees. Like you just picked 20+ random English words and threw them together.

kswiston

Went to see Moana with my wife and daughter today. It was good. Everything was very vibrant. Maui was funny. The animal side-kick not being able to talk cut down on its opportunity for annoyance.

The short that played in front of the film is an odd choice though, considering the fact that Inside Out just came out a year ago. Pixar wins the short battle this year since the Sandpiper film was much better.

BumRush

Went to see Moana with my wife and daughter today. It was good. Everything was very vibrant. Maui was funny. The animal side-kick not being able to talk cut down on its opportunity for annoyance.

The short that played in front of the film is an odd choice though, considering the fact that Inside Out just came out a year ago. Pixar wins the short battle this year since the Sandpiper film was much better.

Glad you liked it. Going on Sunday!

How does it stack up against other recent animated films for you?

kswiston

Glad you liked it. Going on Sunday!

How does it stack up against other recent animated films for you?

I'm not one of those people who tends to think that animated films are life changing (ditto with blockbusters). I generally like them when they aren't completely manic, but very few go on my personal best of all time list.

That said:

Inside Out > Moana = Zootopia > Finding Dory > The Good Dinosaur > Secret Life of Pets

I'd probably give a 7.5-8 to Moana and Zootopia. Both are solid efforts.

Dory had its moments, but was mostly unnecessary. I really like some aspects of The Good Dinosaur, but the film is very uneven. I was luke-warm on Pets. It was sort of one of those "Look how wacky everything is!" animated films.

BumRush

I'm not one of those people who tends to think that animated films are life changing (ditto with blockbusters). I generally like them when they aren't completely manic, but very few go on my personal best of all time list.

That said:

Inside Out > Moana = Zootopia > Finding Dory > The Good Dinosaur > Secret Life of Pets

I'd probably give a 7.5-8 to Moana and Zootopia. Both are solid efforts.

Dory had its moments, but was mostly unnecessary. I really like some aspects of The Good Dinosaur, but the film is very uneven. I was luke-warm on Pets. It was sort of one of those "Look how wacky everything is!" animated films.

While I do find myself enjoying animated films, the real joy over the last 6 months or so is seeing how much my daughter loves them.

kswiston

While I do find myself enjoying animated films, the real joy over the last 6 months or so is seeing how much my daughter loves them.

I find it so hard to predict what my daughter will like at this age (almost 3). She generally liked Moana, but I think she started getting bored near the end when they stopped singing, because she asked me to change the channel of the theatre screen to Dora. She liked Finding Dory. It was hard to tell if she liked Pets.

As far as home movies go, she goes through phases where she wants to watch the same thing 50 times. So far that progression has gone Frozen > Finding Nemo > The Good Dinosaur > My Neighbour Totoro. She also asks for Dumbo and Tangled on occasion. But right now Dora the Explorer is king. I curse Netflix daily for only having two seasons up on the Canadian service. Especially since she always wants someone to watch with her.

I like seeing these Batman burtonverse actors popping up every now and then.

It was cool seeing Paul Reubens as Penguin's dad in gotham as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom