• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•16-18•16 - Mele kalikimaka for Disney as Rogue One & Moana #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Tuesday previews for Today's openers:

Sing - $1.7M
Assassins Creed - $1.35M
Passengers - $1.2M

Deadline is saying around 17.7M for Rogue One yeaterday.

I think some were convinced of Pratt and Lawrence's "star power" carrying Passengers. But I don't know if star power is a thing anymore.

Solo

Maybe people are just sick of Pratt and Lawrence? They are both kind of everywhere these days, and both are somewhat annoying in large doses.

I mean Im sure it doesnt help the reviews have been terrible for that...and collateral beauty...and Assassin's Creed...

just see La La Land ya fools

I'm thinking of The Magnificent Seven also.

People will probably flock to GOTG 2 and JW2 but they don't seem interested in seeing Pratt anywhere else.
Maybe that's because Pratt isn't the reason they are going?
It's not like most people really know who Star Lord is.

Schlorgan

Box Office Mojo lists AC's budget as $125m and Passengers' at $110m, with AC opening in 2900 theaters and Passengers opening in 3400 theaters.

I think it'll be fun to see how both perform.

Cheebo

Banned
I feel like Passengers is not going to hit 100 mil domestic. Horrible reviews, non-existent hype. Neither Pratt or J-Law can sell a film without a franchise.

I mean, honestly, all of the previews so far do a poor job of selling what Passengers is even about. Looks like two entirely different movies sliced together in some instances. I'm not surprised it's looking flop-y.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Maybe that's because Pratt isn't the reason they are going?
It's not like most people really know who Star Lord is.

dbAfKFl.gif

I think someone said in the other thread that a large portion of AssCreed is subtitled right? They've hid that so well, I predict whatever it does pull opening week will see a hard pummel the next when word gets out.

Schlorgan

I think someone said in the other thread that a large portion of AssCreed is subtitled right? They've hid that so well, I predict whatever it does pull opening week will see a hard pummel the next when word gets out.

Just the stuff in the Spanish Inquisition, which is said to be about a third of the movie.

I doubt the subtitles will be the reason it has a big drop-off in week two.

Lionsgate's fall from grace is pretty extraordinary; their films made $1.2B in 2012 and $1.1B domestically in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

The best that can be said about Paramount is at least they're well ahead of Lionsgate, unlike last year.

Schlorgan

I wonder if Paramount could pull ahead of Sony; they're pretty close. Not likely, since all they have left for the year is Silence (the Scorsese movie) and it'll only be out for a few days before the end of the year.

J_Viper

It's not often I yearn to see a film bomb, live and let live, but I hope Passengers burns.

Wasn't Keanu attached to it at some point? Maybe I'm thinking of another project

Alrus

"Star power" hasn't been a thing in years, yet Hollywood keeps the idea propped up to slavish love on their favorites.

We've seen plenty of people here act like Pratt was the major reason GotG and JW were so successful (how in the hell they got that idea in their head I have no clue).

There's some movies where it could be argued that the star was important to their success (Lucy with ScarJo would be one) but it's true that in general star power is a thing of the past.

FoneBone

As far as the new openers go, early Wednesday numbers are looking good for Sing, and bad for Passengers and Assassin's Creed. The latter two are neck and neck, both in the $4-5 million range for today; Passengers will probably pull ahead for the holiday weekend (less fanboy frontloading), but may not even reach $30 million by Monday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...g-assassins-creed-passengers-wednesday-958235

It's not often I yearn to see a film bomb, live and let live, but I hope Passengers burns.

Wasn't Keanu attached to it at some point? Maybe I'm thinking of another project
Yep, he and Rachel McAdams were attached, and it even had a release date set for April 2015.

kswiston

So it looks like some films may be seeing their runs wrap up earlier than I would have expected thanks to Sing, AssCreed, Passengers, and Fences this weekend.

Doctor Strange drops from 1930 venues to 538 venues by X-mas day

Arrival drops from 2157 to 456 venues

Nocturnal Animals from 1246 to 353 venues

Allied from 1625 to 157 venues

Miss Sloane from 1462 to 60 venues

Moana also loses 900 venues (dropping to 2687)

lmao

OT:
Suicide Squad and BvS both are going to beat strange but folks still moan about marvel being #1
1OEHgOC.png

this_guy

Suicide Squad belongs on the same level of Avengers prior to the movie? Really?

They advertised the Joker, who prior to the Avengers movie is bigger than each character in the Avengers.

And compared to Dr. Strange, you do realize the Joker is bigger than Strange right?

kswiston

OT:
Suicide Squad and BvS both are going to beat strange but folks still moan about marvel being #1
1OEHgOC.png

Well, the two Marvel films combined are sitting at ~$1.8B vs the $1.6B for the two DC films combined. A Chinese release for Suicide Squad wouldn't have closed the gap. I'm not sure why you are fixated on Doctor Strange when Civil War beat BvS by close to $300M.

EDIT: DC has been more consistent between films (especially domestic), but I don't think there's any argument that the MCU doesn't have a bigger cinema viewership.

kswiston

Early numbers from Rth last night suggest that Assassin's Creed did in fact top Passengers on Wednesday. Both movies are doing poorly though.

Sing is off to a good start, and Moana's fourth set of weekdays this week are bigger than its first set in November (next week might increase as well with all kids out of school).

Rogue One breaks $200M in 6 days, and should be at around $220M going into its second weekend. The Force Awakens was at $390M after its first 7 days.

Schlorgan

that backs up my point, how is marvel #1 when their B film got beat by BOTH of dc's films.
It's very obvious that you're trolling, but:

A Captain America movie and a Doctor Strange movie made $1,807,071,820.

A Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman movie and a Harley Quinn/Joker/Will Smith movie made $1,618,860,248.

Marvel is #1.

jrush64

Banned
It's very obvious that you're trolling, but:

A Captain America movie and a Doctor Strange movie made $1,807,071,820.

A Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman movie and a Harley Quinn/Joker/Will Smith movie made $1,618,860,248.

Marvel is #1.

We're going to just forget that Captain America movie was practically an Avengers movie including SpiderMan and of course BvS was hammered with negative reviews.

We're going to just forget that Captain America movie was practically an Avengers movie including SpiderMan and of course BvS was hammered with negative reviews.

No; those are part of the reasons why they underperformed; Marvel doesn't output shit movies. WB does.

On the verge of weekend #2 for Rogue One. North of 200mil going in.

Where do we think the film's gonna land by the time Monday rolls around? Christmas Eve is going to kick it in the shins pretty hard - will entertainment press latch onto that as proof its legs won't be all that long, and set that narrative? I'm already seeing thumbsuckers from some writers about it being lacking in terms of rewatchability (dunno if I agree, but hey)

Schlorgan

I'm already seeing thumbsuckers from some writers about it being lacking in terms of rewatchability (dunno if I agree, but hey)
I might agree. I saw TFA maybe five times in theaters but I don't know if I'll go see RO again in theaters, even though I enjoyed it.

I probably won't watch it again until the Blu-ray release.

On an unrelated note: who had the biggest bomb this year?
-Warner Bros with Suicide Squad ($900m budget, $745m gross)?
-Sony with Ghostbusters ($500m budget, $229m gross)?
-Paramount with Ben-Hur ($100m budget, $94m gross)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom