• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•23-25•16 - bomba Ass, Passengers, Sing as audiences continue to go Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

(MURRAY HOLIDAYS)

63x1ouN.jpg
KNJHWPG.jpg
skNdzDO.jpg
gtfuvft.jpg
7Y3ZFke.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
85% Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
9wcOG.gif
72% Sing
8mB0Q.gif
32% Passengers
3Pj0x.gif
40% Why Him?
5f4ew.gif
19% Assassin’s Creed
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
92% Hidden Figures

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Rogue One,’ ‘Sing’ Dominate Christmas Box Office, ‘Passengers,’ ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Struggle

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” and “Sing” carved up the Christmas box office, while newcomers “Assassins Creed” and “Passengers” struggled to get their slice of the ticket sales.

The Star Wars spinoff is projected to rack up $96.1 million over the four day holiday. The space opera’s domestic revenues currently stand at $286.4 million and should cross $300 million on Monday. Globally, the prequel has racked up a mighty $523.8 million.

“Sing,” a family-friendly film about a talent competition for animals, was the de facto choice for moviegoers with kids. It has earned an impressive $76.7 million over its first six days of release. Its success is another win for Illumination and Universal, the producers of “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Despicable Me.” Animation has been a particularly popular genre this year — three of the six highest grossing films and six of the top 20 highest grossing films have been animated offerings.

“Sing” carries a $75 million production budget, an economical figure considering that most animated movies typically cost in excess of $150 million to make. It also boasts a voice cast that includes Reese Witherspoon, Matthew McConaughey, and Seth MacFarlane, as well as a soundtrack of hits from the likes of Stevie Wonder, Queen, Taylor Swift, and the late George Michael.

The tunes may have helped the film resonate with audiences, particularly given that it is an original property hitting at a time of year traditionally dominated by franchises.

Universal distribution chief Nick Carpou says that “Sing’s” appeal was clear during its premiere at last September’s Toronto Film Festival.

“I was sitting in the audience and you could just feel the reaction of people,” he said. Every song had rousing applause. It was as if they were performing them live.” “Sing,” like last summer’s “The Secret Life of Pets,” leaves the story open for more installments, a sign that Illumination and Universal may have a new animated series on their hands.

Sony’s “Passengers,” a science-fiction romance that was hoping to capitalize on the combined drawing power of Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, struggled to make a mark. All the star wattage wasn’t enough to withstand a critical drubbing. The film earned $30.4 million over the five day period, on the low end of projections. “Passengers” cost $110 million to produce after incentives are taken into account.

Sony executives, however, argue that the film is performing well, and point to the “Passengers'” strong Christmas day grosses of $7.5 million as evidence that “Passengers” is finding its footing. They expect that the film will perform well with older crowds through the holidays.

“This trajectory will show the mettle of our film,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s worldwide distribution chief, adding, “The chemistry between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence is really resonating.”

Fox’s “Assassin’s Creed” also failed to make a big impression. The video game adaptation generated $22.5 million over the six day period. With a hefty $125 million production budget, “Assassin’s Creed,” like “Passengers,” will need to get a warmer reception overseas if it wants to fight its way into the black.

Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson noted that the video game of “Assassin’s Creed” has great global resonance and said the studio always saw the film as playing well with foreign ticket buyers. Its cast includes French actress Marion Cotillard, Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender, and English thespian Jeremy Irons.

“This start exceeded our modeling,” he said. “We’ll be the beneficiaries of a strong holiday play period.”

Fox’s “Why Him?” seems better positioned to profit. The R-rated comedy with James Franco and Bryan Cranston earned a solid $16.7 million on a $38 million budget for its first four days in theaters. It opened Friday.

“We believed in this film from its first research screening,” said Aronson. “This film plays like gangbusters with an audience. America loves to laugh and lord knows we need something to laugh about.”

All three major new films will try to make up ground in the coming days, and they’ll get some help from the calendar. Many Americans will take the week between Christmas and New Year’s as vacation, making moviegoing an attractive leisure activity.

Many Oscar-contenders benefited from the holiday. “La La Land” expanded nicely, and is projected to earn $9.7 million for the four day weekend after moving from roughly 200 to 734 locations. The Lionsgate musical will have earned $17.6 million since debuting in limited release earlier this month.

CBS and Lionsgate’s “Patriot’s Day” opened in limited release on Wednesday. The drama about the Boston Marathon bombing earned a healthy $256,718 from seven screens.

Paramount’s “Fences” capitalized on strong reviews and awards buzz, racking up $11.4 million after moving from a few dozen locations to 2,233 venues.

Fox 2000 and Chernin Entertainment’s “Hidden Figures” opened in limited release on Christmas day and is projected to make
$955,000 in its first two days in theaters. The historical drama follows a group of African-American scientists and mathematicians who played a crucial role in the early days of the space program.

An overall analysis is below the chart which follows:[/QUOTE]

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Zapages

Watched Rogue One and Assassin's Creed.

Rogue One was one of the best movies of the year!

Assassin's Creed was one of the worst movies of the year!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Fox knew from the start AssCreed was a flop. Putting your action sci-fi movie right next to STAR WARS is practically cinematic suicide.

Iceternal

Watched Rogue One and Assassin's Creed.

Rogue One was one of the best movies of the year!

Assassin's Creed was one of the worst movies of the year!

Indeed.

I thought both would be decent actually, but one exceeded my expectations, the other one was garbage.

The fact that the nearest theater to me showing AssCreed was 10 miles away and that Alamo Drafthouse wouldn't even bother showing the film told me that it was going to bomb badly.

If I'm reading that estimation properly, they're guessing that Rogue One will probably make another 30+ mil on Monday on top of the 30+ mil it's gonna make today?

Also, K-Swiss, is that Christmas Eve number good-ish or bout-what-we-expected-ish for the film for that day?

If I'm reading that estimation properly, they're guessing that Rogue One will probably make another 30+ mil on Monday on top of the 30+ mil it's gonna make today?

Also, K-Swiss, is that Christmas Eve number good-ish or bout-what-we-expected-ish for the film for that day?

Last time in 2011 when Christmas fell on a Sunday, grosses increased on the 26th.

We'll see if it doubles today.

Exodust

Banned
Assassin's Creed is what happens when you make a movie about a game series that people got so tired of where not having another annual installment was treated as great news.

WTF happened to Ass Creed?

Poorly received movie that had absolutely abysmal marketing since day one released against the biggest film of the year (at least domestically).

Those godawful Suicide Squad-wannabe Christmas commercials they started pumping out at the end as some sort of exceedingly desperate looking Hail Mary... Goddamn.

zeshakag

I remember when I went to watch Moana the trailer for Rock Dog played right after the trailer for Sing. It was like I was watching the exact same trailer twice. We were befuddled. That was when I vowed not to watch singing animal movies.

The last time the 26th fell on a Monday, the top two films jumped 7% and 13%. That's not an uncommon pattern regardless of where the 26th falls; TFA jumped 15% last year, for instance. So we could see a number ranging from $35M to $38M for Monday. Landing on the higher end and Rogue One would be in a good position to make another $60M on Tuesday through Thursday, and be at ~$450M after next Sunday.

That all assumes that the $32M holds today. The Christmas Eve number was very strong (I was thinking it would fall about 40% that day), so it may have a weaker increase today to "only" $30M.

I think Passengers is bombimg bc of Pratt
Who likes this guy seriously? He is generic af. When jurassic shit did well, i knew it was bc of dinos, nobody cares about him. Boom, gtfo pratt

Edit: to develop my thoughts a little more, it just makes me sad that Hollywood used to have interesting, great actors such as dustin hoffman, de niro, pacino, etc. As mainstream leads and now there is CHRIST PRATT

fucking hell

Who likes this guy seriously? He is generic af. When jurassic shit did well, i knew it was bc of dinos, nobody cares about him. Boom, gtfo pratt

The trailers sucked. It was one serving of intrigue stretched to feed 200 million.

Passengers is bombing because they could never find a hook better than "Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence in a movie together", which is especially a problem when every part they've shown us of them being together looks pretty boring.

Passengers is bombing because they could never find a hook better than "Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence in a movie together", which is especially a problem when every part they've shown us of them being together looks pretty boring.
It's funny because neither of them are huge box office draws. They were just lucky and attached to immensely successful franchises (X-Men, Jurassic World, Hunger Games, Guardians) or critically lauded films (Silver Linings Playbook). No one watches a movie for Pratt or Lawrence. They aren't quite on the level of DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street, Gatsby, etc) or Jolie (Maleficent)

Sean C

It's funny because neither of them are huge box office draws. They were just lucky and attached to immensely successful franchises (X-Men, Jurassic World, Hunger Games, Guardians) or critically lauded films (Silver Linings Playbook). No one watches a movie for Pratt or Lawrence. They aren't quite on the level of DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street, Gatsby, etc) or Jolie (Maleficent)
In more able hands, a Lawrence/Pratt pairing would have been a big deal, I think. There was just nothing compelling about the film's advertising, and the reviews dealt the killing blow.

Edit: to develop my thoughts a little more, it just makes me sad that Hollywood used to have interesting, great actors such as dustin hoffman, de niro, pacino, etc. As mainstream leads and now there is CHRIST PRATT

fucking hell

JCzru2d.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom