• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•16-18•16 - Mele kalikimaka for Disney as Rogue One & Moana #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
$75M according to Mojo. I wonder what percentage of the budget went towards licensing songs.
Probably the majority went to songs and voice actors. It sure doesn't look like they spent any time or resources on the filmmaking. I feel like a rudimentary computer program could come up with more creative blocking and mise-en-scene than Illumination films include.

Has December replaced August as the new Dump Month for anyone not Disney?
I think the other studios are actually trying.

kswiston

Assassin's Creed will at least beat Warcraft's domestic take!

Too bad it doesnt have a $220M Chinese gross to fall back on.

Alrus

I wonder what the marketing budget for Sing was. It feels like they've been showing trailers for over a year now (it's probably less than that in reality).

Sonic will save video game movies.

I just wonder if they're willing to go all nuts on that one and include Doomsday Zone, because they're only getting one shot at this anyway. The last thing I would want to see is Sonic 2006 as a movie. Unless it's meta-commentary on loading times in the style of Sonic Boom, in that case: please proceed.

I feel that a self-aware animation take would be the best way to deal with Sonic, since his concept is too ludicrous for live-action anyway. If it is live-action: move over, Dragonball Evolution!

They said it's going to be live action/CGI like Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Yeah, but I'm willfully ignoring that. Post-truth society, motherfuckers!
(to be honest, I would expect the studio to look at recent animation Box Office versus live-action and just go "animation it is", but that's not happening...)

Kusagari

I just wonder if they're willing to go all nuts on that one and include Doomsday Zone, because they're only getting one shot at this anyway. The last thing I would want to see is Sonic 2006 as a movie. Unless it's meta-commentary on loading times in the style of Sonic Boom, in that case: please proceed.

I feel that a self-aware animation take would be the best way to deal with Sonic, since his concept is too ludicrous for live-action anyway. If it is live-action: move over, Dragonball Evolution!

They said it's going to be live action/CGI like Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Based on the wikipedia page there is not a single video game movie to break into the 50+% fresh range ever. The closest? Fucking Spirits Within, lol. It's incredible the RE series still pulls in the money that it does.

People love zombies.

I think it'll be tough for videogame based movies to find the success that comic book movies have found. Stories in vgs are, for the most part, very simplistic and don't really translate into good 2 hour stories.

That said, they can find success with enough marketing and whatnot. I personally would love a TLOU movie.

kswiston

Until recently, big budget video games did their best to mimic interactive blockbuster films, right down to ripping off lines from popular films. Occasionally, I'll see something like the trailer for The Tom Cruise Mummy and feel like one could make a pretty good case that the filmmakers were inspired by stuff in video games (Uncharted 3 in that example), but it's rare.

Once visual effects reached appropriate levels, superhero films worked because they offered something new/different. Video game films don't really do that for the most part.

kswiston

Merry Christmas to the BO GAF crew!

It looks like everything held better this X-Mas eve compared to previous years. No idea what that will mean for today's bumps.

Roughly $15.3M on Sat for Rogue One. Similar mid-high 30s drops for everything else.

Boke1879

Merry Christmas to the BO GAF crew!

It looks like everything held better this X-Mas eve compared to previous years. No idea what that will mean for today's bumps.

Roughly $15.3M on Sat for Rogue One. Similar mid-high 30s drops for everything else.

Sounds good. Hopefully today and tomorrow show some good bumps for RO. Gonna head to the 6:10 showing tonight myself

kswiston

I dont think Disney is doing official estimates today for obvious reasons.

Official 3-day for Sing is $33.2M. Asscreed is $10.3m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom