• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•25-27•16 - Disney not-a-Princess says 'aloha!' to not-Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I find it so hard to predict what my daughter will like at this age (almost 3). She generally liked Moana, but I think she started getting bored near the end when they stopped singing, because she asked me to change the channel of the theatre screen to Dora. She liked Finding Dory. It was hard to tell if she liked Pets.

As far as home movies go, she goes through phases where she wants to watch the same thing 50 times. So far that progression has gone Frozen > Finding Nemo > The Good Dinosaur > My Neighbour Totoro. She also asks for Dumbo and Tangled on occasion. But right now Dora the Explorer is king. I curse Netflix daily for only having two seasons up on the Canadian service. Especially since she always wants someone to watch with her.

It is is interesting what kids will latch on to. Right now my nephew is doing his best to laser rot a 4 dollar disc of random original TMNT episodes.

kswiston

It is is interesting what kids will latch on to. Right now my nephew is doing his best to laser rot a 4 dollar disc of random original TMNT episodes.

My younger brother used to watch our VHS copy of Land Before Time (the original film) daily before the VCR ate the tape. At least I don't have to put up with VCRs. Kids don't know how easy they have it now.

I was never the type of kid who liked the same thing over and over though, even when I was 4-5. I used to get mad when Saturday morning cartoons were re-runs.

Slayven

My younger brother used to watch our VHS copy of Land Before Time (the original film) daily before the VCR ate the tape.

I was never the type of kid who liked the same thing over and over though, even when I was 4-5. I used to get mad when Saturday morning cartoons were re-runs.

I am the same way, hell if i catch a show or movie half way through i rarely will watch it again even from the beginning. Just looked up the complete collection of TMNT, goddamn.

kswiston

Just looked up the complete collection of TMNT, goddamn.

Expensive? They are probably selling that stuff to 30 year olds who can be bled dry for their nostalgia fix.

EDIT: To not be completely off topic, Deadline is predicting $28M for Moana and $18M for Fantastic Beasts this coming weekend. Boxoffice.com is predicting $25M for Moana and $18.5M for Beasts. Frozen made $31.6M on its second weekend. Tangled made $21.6M

Aint nothing surprising about it. Batman was one of the best parts of the LEGO Movie, and that movie was shockingly great. I thought it was just going to be some crass, soulless toy commercial, but it was actually a great film. It just also happened to be a toy commercial.

The LEGO Batman Movie for me is looking like Galaxy Quest or Shaun of the Dead. It is obviously a big love letter to something, and digging deep for references and fun, but also recognizing the inherent silliness of it all and not afraid to make fun of it. It is a very, very fine line to walk.

We'll see how it ends up but it's funny how the writers on LEGO Batman went on to be parts of The Flash and Spider-Man Homecoming. The trailers have Bren great.

BumRush

I find it so hard to predict what my daughter will like at this age (almost 3). She generally liked Moana, but I think she started getting bored near the end when they stopped singing, because she asked me to change the channel of the theatre screen to Dora. She liked Finding Dory. It was hard to tell if she liked Pets.

As far as home movies go, she goes through phases where she wants to watch the same thing 50 times. So far that progression has gone Frozen > Finding Nemo > The Good Dinosaur > My Neighbour Totoro. She also asks for Dumbo and Tangled on occasion. But right now Dora the Explorer is king. I curse Netflix daily for only having two seasons up on the Canadian service. Especially since she always wants someone to watch with her.

Haha great post. Good for you getting her into Ghibli!

BumRush

EDIT: To not be completely off topic, Deadline is predicting $28M for Moana and $18M for Fantastic Beasts this coming weekend. Boxoffice.com is predicting $25M for Moana and $18.5M for Beasts. Frozen made $31.6M on its second weekend. Tangled made $21.6M

Again, nice weekend for BOTH films if it ends up being close to those numbers

kswiston

$1.99M for Moana and $1.95M for Fantastic Beasts on Wednesday.

For comparison, Tangled made $1.36M and Frozen made $1.83M on that same Wednesday. I think Moana is skewing older though.

Deathly Hallows Pt 1 made $1.94M on its second Wednesday, going on to score $17.0M in its third weekend. Coincidentally, Potter's major competition was Tangled (which failed to place first over Thanksgiving, but took the first place finish that weekend)

Doctor Strange made $685k on Wednesday. Thor 2 made about $510k on the same day, and $4.8M during its fifth weekend. A similar pattern would put Doctor Strange at $6.5M this weekend, and ~$215M total (Domestic).

kswiston

Variety's early friday numbers suggest 6-6.5M for Moana. Frozen made $6.7M on its second Friday. Probably high $20M range over the weekend for Moana if numbers hold.

Fantastic Beasts is also holding well in the early Friday numbers. It should end up in the high teens.

If Office Christmas Party doesnt land in the 20M range, Moana could threepeat next weekend.

BumRush

Variety's early friday numbers suggest 6-6.5M for Moana. Frozen made $6.7M on its second Friday. Probably high $20M range over the weekend for Moana if numbers hold.

Fantastic Beasts is also holding well in the early Friday numbers. It should end up in the high teens.

If Office Christmas Party doesnt land in the 20M range, Moana could threepeat next weekend.

Disney got the timing right on this and star wars, for sure.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Moana - $6.45M - $98M total
2) Fantastic Beasts - $5.0M - $170M total
3) Allied - $2.2M - $24M total
4) Arrival - $2.1M - $68M total
5) Doctor Strange - $1.75M - $211M total
6) Trolls - $995k - $138M total
7) Hacksaw Ridge - $990k - $55M total
8) Bad Santa - $966k - $12M total
9) Incarnate - $915k
10) Almost Christmas - $695k - $36M total
11) Manchester by the Sea - $665k - $3M total

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Your Name is having a sensational run in China and is on track to deliver an opening weekend of $40M - pretty amazing given the format.

Sadly, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will only manage $10M.

kswiston

It looks like both Trolls and Doctor Strange are still playing in around 3k venues. Both of those theatre counts are going to be destroyed in 2 weeks to make room for Star Wars. Fantastic Beasts is going to take a big hit too, but at least it is more recent.

ArmGunar

I think Rogue One can top Civil War's opening

First reactions to Rogue One appear and it sounds awesome, if the hype grows, Rogue One may reach 180M+

Well now I need a tiebreaker!

Might be biased because I've only seen Arrival, but it seems like the type of movie where if you don't see it now you'll probably miss out on it, whereas you'll probably end up checking out Moana somewhere down the line. Go Arrival.

How do y'all think moana will fare compared to frozen? Could it do 800 worldwide? Id imagine a billion is out of reach. Wonder if that Sing movie will cut its legs

Being Star Wars, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the previews exceed $30M.

Judging by how strong presales have been I'd say it looks pretty good. 35 and up is where odds of beating CW for opening weekend look good, if we go by the preview to weekend ratio for Force Awakens. But I would think it won't be quite as frontloaded from previews to weekend

So Wonder Woman is exactly a month after Guardians, and exactly a month before Spiderman.........Sent to die

A month is forever. Fast 8 is around two weeks before Guardians 2 and it won't hurt it. Pirates of the Caribbean...7? and Transformers...4? are nearer to Wonder Woman.

Transformers kind of bullied them off their original date. They are lucky Bad Boys 3 moved.

And BB3 is still not gonna make the revised date.

Regardless, I feel like WW will the the 1st DCEU with some real blockbuster competition. POTC one week before, Mummy one week after. Plus Cars 3, Transformers, Despicable Me, Homecoming all coming in the subsequent weeks. I will be very surprised if it has the legs that BvS and SS surprisingly showed, even if it reviews better than the latter two. I think it will have more competition than even MoS had in 2013, but I don't know how the legs on MoS was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom