• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•23-25•16 - bomba Ass, Passengers, Sing as audiences continue to go Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

come on guys, we're just talking about movies here. no need for name calling.

anyways... I believe we were laughing at the jabronis who think avatar 2 will come even close at the BO to the first one?

Hopefully when (if?) they come back they both mellow the hell out.

Back on topic, part of what made Avatar such a megahit was the novelty. Did you hear anyone talking about the characters or cookie-cutter plot? Nope, it was all about the 3-D visuals.

Well, 3-D has been a staple of blockbusters even since then so that novelty is gone. So unless Cameron has invented 4-D or finally wrote a good, original plot for this one, I doubt Avatar 2 will reach the heights of the first. It already has the economy against it as had been pointed out.

anyways... I believe we were laughing at the jabronis who think avatar 2 will come even close at the BO to the first one?

Nah you're talking about something else now. It won't come close to the first one. Like I said, nothing for maybe even 10 years will. But under $1b? Nah, that's bananas.

Schlorgan

I didn't fully understand how big Avatar was in China, my prediction was more wishful thinking based on my apathy towards Avatar.

Anth0ny

it's simple math

I call it the "3D fad is fucking over" theorem

It goes like this: You take the WW BO of any film released during the peak of the 3D fad, and decrease that number by 70%. Congratulations, you have calculated the approximate WW BO of the sequel!

Here a real life example:

Alice in Wonderland (2010) WW BO: $1,025,467,110

Alice in Wonderland 2 (2016) WW BO: $299,457,024

Lets apply this flawless theory to the Avatar sequel:

Avatar 2 (2018): APPROXIMATELY $836,389,526! With Cameron's name all over the marketing it MIGHT squeak past $900m WW, but not much higher!

it's simple math

It goes like this: You take the WW BO of any film released during the peak of the 3D fad, and decrease that number by 70%. Congratulations, you have calculated the approximate WW BO of the sequel!

Avatar 2 (2018): APPROXIMATELY $836,389,526! With Cameron's name all over the marketing it MIGHT squeak past $900m WW, but not much higher!

Laziest troll post I have seen in a good while.

Congrats.

it's simple math

Makes me want Scott Steiner box office analyses.

Anth0ny

Laziest troll post I have seen in a good while.

Congrats.

laziest? troll??? I literally pulled out a calculator and did math.

but seriously avatar 2 isn't doing a billion. I'm not hating I'm just calling it how I see it. it'll probably be a good movie, too. cameron is good at sequels.

Schlorgan

It'll most likely do at least $1.5 billion but the possibility is there that it won't. At the very least, it'll be interesting to watch.

but seriously avatar 2 isn't doing a billion. I'm not hating I'm just calling it how I see it. it'll probably be a good movie, too. cameron is good at sequels.

You trying really hard to convince yourself at this point. If you make a big tall wish, maybe mo one will see it to the tune of $1 billion, a little more than a 1/3 of its last box office.

It's gonna shed like 60% of its money when lesser films are hitting a billion now...but yeah, call it as you see it cause only you do.

GhaleonEB

I can understand the doubting before Avatar came out. Blue forest friends was a hard sell, even with Cameron at the helm.

But now? After he was the only one to top Titanic's box office, after giving everyone else 12 years to take a shot at it? After Avatar made $2.8b, people are doubting the sequel will hit one billion? That's the safest bet ever. It's like arguing Episode VIII won't top $400m in the US. Good heavens.

I can understand the doubting before Avatar came out. Blue forest friends was a hard sell, even with Cameron at the helm.

But now? After he was the only one to top Titanic's box office, after giving everyone else 12 years to take a shot at it? After Avatar made $2.8b, people are doubting the sequel will hit one billion? That's the safest bet ever. It's like arguing Episode VIII won't top $400m in the US. Good heavens.

Naw, you're speaking logic. I think would rather "call it like I see it".

😐

Replicant

I saw Passengers and liked it. While I understand the controversy about the plot, it was dealt pretty well in the film. All in all, I thought it was a gorgeous, sufficiently aware of its morally ambiguous romantic story, and quite tense in some parts.

The cinema was full house here in Sydney. Maybe because it's new year and everyone got bored of not being able to go anywhere else (most shops are closed today here). But I'm surprised that it ends up being a bomba in the US.

Avatar discussion continues to be dominated by extremes.

Avatar 2 will not outgross Avatar 1.

Also, "never doubt James Cameron" is getting tired. Yes, he's had the biggest film of all time twice. Spielberg's done it three times. Didn't make The Lost World outgross Jurassic Park, or even come close to the final total. Soooo... I'm not sure I get this line of thought. He's not going to break the record literally every movie he makes, just because he's done it before. Especially with a sequel to a movie that hasn't made an overwhelmingly large lasting impact on global pop culture, and largely benefited from being a then-revolutionary experience that got even your grandma out of the house to see "those fancy 3D graphics the kids are talking about". Which isn't to say it will suddenly crater to Alice 2 levels. So I guess in that regard, yeah, "don't underestimate Cameron", because he's obviously not going to shit out something as bland as the Alice films, that's for sure. It'll be a solid film with great overall numbers that'll do extremely well overseas. I wouldn't at all be surprised by stronger-than-Jurassic-World numbers internationally, or even stronger than TFA. China alone will be an enormous source of income. Domestically, it'll do respectably, even if it doesn't come close to the original's total.

I don't think anybody is saying that Avatar 2 will outgross Avatar.

People just saying that you shouldn't doubt Cameron's ability to make a great sequel.

I don't think anybody is saying that Avatar 2 will outgross Avatar.

People just saying that you shouldn't doubt Cameron's ability to make a great sequel.
Not in this thread, no. But I've seen plenty who say it'll do $3b or more, here on GAF, which is obviously absurd. But even then, although I explicitly called people using that line to defend the idea of the film being the next all-time #1, I was more generally referring to arguments putting it anywhere in the ballpark of the original, even with a generous definition of "ballpark". TFA's the closest we'll get to that in a long time, and Avatar 2 isn't beating TFA.

And I say this as someone who expects a solid movie that easily tops the original in quality. I don't doubt Cameron's skill, but I also acknowledge that regardless of it the odds aren't high for the extremely high numbers some expect.

ahoyle77

Only way Avatar fails to do a billion is if it's one of the worst sequels ever. Even then, based off BvsS, it probably comes close.

jett

D-Member
people still giving a fuck about Avatar movies

IN 2017

It will always be better give a fuck about Cameron-directed action sci-fi than the endless starwar and mahvel tripe.

I think I'm gonna watch me some ABADAR today, start off the year RIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom