• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•04-06•16 - Strange Doctor trolls (ex-)Spider-man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey now, let's not go all overly optimistic on BP box office just yet. Marvel Studios and Disney may carry A LOT of weight and the MCU connection w/ a favorable appearance in Civil War bring a lot of good faith. But this is still a practically All Black movie, in a practically All Black setting, with an almost All Black cast.

I think Marketing and word-of-mouth is going to have to be AMAZING to push past some expected barriers, regardless of end quality of the product

I'm not saying it won't make good money, even great money, but it's not guaranteed "Marvel" money just yet..

I don't think that's going to matter as you much as you think it will due to the genre it's in and the brand attached.

Infact, I think the quality of the film itself will have more of an impact than it's predominately Black cast.

Hey now, let's not go all overly optimistic on BP box office just yet. Marvel Studios and Disney may carry A LOT of weight and the MCU connection w/ a favorable appearance in Civil War bring a lot of good faith. But this is still a practically All Black movie, in a practically All Black setting, with an almost All Black cast.

I think Marketing and word-of-mouth is going to have to be AMAZING to push past some expected barriers, regardless of end quality of the product

I'm not saying it won't make good money, even great money, but it's not guaranteed "Marvel" money just yet..

Eh I really don't think domestic will be an issue. There isn't a whole lot of supporting evidence that domestically having heavily black representation is causing much issue anymore. Luke Cage seemed to do plenty well, Straight Outta Compton, the Madea movies, and in gaming you have massive franchises like Watch Dogs and Battlefield having Black lead characters right on the cover art.

International though that could be a bit of an issue I suppose. I'm not sure what things look like on that front. But at the end of the day putting BP in Civil War was a brilliant move because he seemed to generate a lot of buzz and interest.

Schlorgan

I don't think that's going to matter as you much as you think it will due to the genre it's in and the brand attached.

Infact, I think the quality of the film itself will have more of an impact than it's predominately Black cast.

You're telling me Red Tails did poorly because it was bad and not because it had a mostly black cast?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Put a short Captain America cameo in, let him appear Alongside Black Panther in the Aftercreditscene
Doctor Strange style
, problem solved.

They shouldnt focus the Marketing on Steve Rogers of course, but I am sure that would bring people in who wouldnt go otherwise. Makes even sense storywise.

Schlorgan

"Story by George Lucas" isn't a selling point these days.

I'm just thinking of when Lucas went on Oprah and said that studios didn't want it because it was an all black cast (which was probably at least partially true), but I really think they just thought it sucked.

I'm hoping race and setting isn't a detterrent to the majority of population. and I'm hoping that once they get a look at how awesome of a movie it will likely be, just the fact that it's MCU and Black Panther will have them overlook any of that stuff.
But, I'm just not hopping on the "runaway success" horse just yet, as we haven't seen anything from the movie, nor the reactions to it.

Eh I really don't think domestic will be an issue. There isn't a whole lot of supporting evidence that domestically having heavily black representation is causing much issue anymore. Luke Cage seemed to do plenty well, Straight Outta Compton, the Madea movies, and in gaming you have massive franchises like Watch Dogs and Battlefield having Black lead characters right on the cover art.

International though that could be a bit of an issue I suppose. I'm not sure what things look like on that front. But at the end of the day putting BP in Civil War was a brilliant move because he seemed to generate a lot of buzz and interest.

I'm sure Domestically BP will be fine. I'm sure there are lots of areas that will turn out more heavily than others, but I'm sure word-of-mouth will win over lots of hold-outs.
Internationally... well, that's mostly where I think box-office may take a hit.
Will some regions give it the full screenings it has other Marvel/MCU movies? the same length of run? same marketing exposure?

We haven't seen anything about it yet, so I'm just not going to write this one off as a "guaranteed Marvel Money success" story just yet.

BumRush

Yes, a Rated R 30 million dollar musical biopic with no name actors in the leads, that incidentally became the highest grossing musical biopic of all time, is comparative to a Disney/Marvel PG-13 rated big budget, blockbuster, superhero action film filled with named actors.

Which is why I said percentage-wise? Just trying to point it out since it's one of the only somewhat larger budgeted films in a recent memory with a primarily black cast.

Compton deals with history/music that is pretty American-centric though. You could probably look at Walk the Line as the white cast counterpart, and even that was 64% domestic.

Agreed. It's the only example I could think of that could help.

Brhoom

Banned
That must have been quite the shock to expectations once the movie started.

My friend wanted me to go and he said he wanted to go to Doctor Stranger and I was like yeah ok I'll go, I guess because I had no expectations is why I really loved the film.

Can I ask at what point you found out it was a Marvel film?

When that old man showed up, Stan Lee? I said to myself: hey that's the Spider Man guy! Is this a Marvel movie?

Slayven

so, disney managed to make ant-man, guardians, dr strange and black panther (well, in civil war) work as major blockbusters. which is fucking crazy.

so what is the next big hurdle to overcome? black panthers film? the departure of hemsworth, evans and maybe downey? keeping people on board after phase 3 (maybe with a soft universe re-boot)?

sleepwalker-never-sleep.jpg

I'm sure Domestically BP will be fine. I'm sure there are lots of areas that will turn out more heavily than others, but I'm sure word-of-mouth will win over lots of hold-outs.
Internationally... well, that's mostly where I think box-office may take a hit.
Will some regions give it the full screenings it has other Marvel/MCU movies? the same length of run? same marketing exposure?

We haven't seen anything about it yet, so I'm just not going to write this one off as a "guaranteed Marvel Money success" story just yet.

Yeah Internationally there does seem to be some race issues regarding media, just going by the way some Official Posters are framed where black actors are made less prominent. Hopefully it won't hurt it overseas

Saw Inferno, Hacksaw, and Strange over the weekend. Strange was easily the movie I enjoyed the most out of those three (not to mention the smartest one IMO.) Well deserved.

Which is why I said percentage-wise? Just trying to point it out since it's one of the only somewhat larger budgeted films in a recent memory with a primarily black cast.

I understand why you used it, it's just isn't a very good comparison in this instance. LOL

El Topo

12 Years A Slave grossed $188m, 70% outside the US. America confirmed to be racist.

Edit:
Or are we Europeans the real racists because we watched a movie about slavery?

12 Years A Slave grossed $188m, 70% outside the US. America confirmed to be racist.

Edit:
Or are we Europeans the real racists because we watched a movie about slavery?

LOL I think in this day and age, International audiences are more interested in movies about America's racism than Americans are.

Look how they've promoted Hidden Figures.

Here's the American trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK8xHq6dfAo

And Here's the International trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLETpnWS8vQ

Notice how the American trailer doesn't even touch on any of the racism, why the International trailer puts an emphasis on it.

Yeah you can't make me watch slavery films unless they end in Jamie Foxx just shooting everyone inexplicably

Also assuming that Inferno underperforming has to do with the fact that most of the fans of the first two films have simply passed on at this point.

Jesus christ m8

Nice to see an oddball mid budgeted film like The Accountant have some legs. Also assuming that Inferno underperforming has to do with the fact that most of the fans of the first two films have simply passed on at this point.

xaosslug

so, disney managed to make ant-man, guardians, dr strange and black panther (well, in civil war) work as major blockbusters. which is fucking crazy.

so what is the next big hurdle to overcome? black panthers film? the departure of hemsworth, evans and maybe downey? keeping people on board after phase 3 (maybe with a soft universe re-boot)?

Tyler Perry's Black Panther w/ a Madea cameo. And we're done. It prints money. ;P

really, tho. I think BP's gonna be huge. Peeps came out of Civil War either talking about BP or Spiderman.

Tyler Perry's Black Panther w/ a Madea cameo. And we're done. It prints money. ;P

really, tho. I think BP's gonna be huge. Peeps came out of Civil War either talking about BP or Spiderman.

I wanna believe, but there is a big difference between BP being in a Cap movie, and BP starring in an All Black movie.

I'm just hoping the movie is as awesome as we all hope it will be, and that all audiences turn out for it because it is. International marketing will be quite interesting though.

I'm guessing BP always has his mask on certain overseas marketing.
Cap & Bucky will probably both be on the poster even though not technically in the movie.

Freaking Doc Strange outperforming the X-men. Times have changed.

If Fox could make a good X-Men film, they wouldn't change.

Worldwide Updates:

Trolls - $150M
Inferno - $185M
The Accountant - $109M
Jack Reacher - $112M
Storks - $168M
The Girl on the Train - $141M
Sully - $185M
Ouija 2 - $64M

The international gross for Miss Peregrine's hasn't been updated yet, but it is now Tim Burton's 6th biggest film (after Alice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Two Batman films, and Planet of the Apes) at $250M+ worldwide.

Guess we're getting an Ouija 3. Good job, Flanagan.

I am surprised Hacksaw Ridge is doing so well considering its controversial director

People are willing to forgive and Gibson has done his years of penance.

I wanna believe, but there is a big difference between BP being in a Cap movie, and BP starring in an All Black movie.

I'm just hoping the movie is as awesome as we all hope it will be, and that all audiences turn out for it because it is. International marketing will be quite interesting though.

I'm guessing BP always has his mask on certain overseas marketing.
Cap & Bucky will probably both be on the poster even though not technically in the movie.

Bruh, you're getting way too bogged down on it having a predominately Black cast rather than the type of film it is. Audiences aren't going to look at it like that, but instead see it as simply a big budget Marvel superhero film, and if it get's good to great reviews; all the more reason to see it. If anything the predominately Black cast will make it stand out more within Marvel's catalogue and perhaps interest people who otherwise wouldn't be interested due to the novelty of it.

Bruh, you're getting way too bogged down on it having a predominately Black cast rather than the type of film it is. Audiences aren't going to look at it like that, but instead see it as simply a big budget Marvel superhero film, and if it get's good to great reviews; all the more reason to see it. If anything the predominately Black cast will make it stand out more within Marvel's catalogue and perhaps interest people who otherwise wouldn't be interested due to the novelty of it.

Yeah, the optimist in me hopes for that, but the realist in me thinks it won't come that easy.

On that note...

Method Man will be the Stan Lee for Black superhero movies.

I can't even imagine how they cameo Meth into BP, unless it's a Wakandan youth bumping Meth's latest Luke Cage appreciation music video on BET interrupted by his mom trying to call him in the kitchen for dinner.

Still need to see Boo. I like Tyler Perry. And while I generally don't like Halloween or Halloween films, I'll make an exception for this one.

Slayven

Yeah, the optimist in me hopes for that, but the realist in me thinks it won't come that easy.

I can't even imagine how they cameo Meth into BP, unless it's a Wakandan youth bumping Meth's latest Luke Cage appreciation music video on BET interrupted by his mom trying to call him in the kitchen for dinner.

When Everett Ross gets jacked for his pants Method Man can be in the backgroud.

I'm just thinking of when Lucas went on Oprah and said that studios didn't want it because it was an all black cast (which was probably at least partially true), but I really think they just thought it sucked.
This is a situation where it could have been a mix of both.

I honestly thought Strange was gonna under perform, but it is doing very well. We'll see if he skips leg days like Cap, but so far it is surprising to me. Looking forward to the upcoming MCU movies, the only ones I can see under performing at the BO are:

Ragnarok (because Thor 1 and - especially - Dark World are subpar products. I still think it's unlikely especially because the new director seems to be great and Hulk is in it)
Black Panther (people - especially overseas - might not be ready for a black superhero. And a 90% black cast too. With Creed's director at the helm though, this will be great no matter what.
Captain Marvel (unknown character and female super hero.)

GoTG2, Homecoming, Infinity War, and Avengers 2 are guaranteed hits. Ant Man 2 will probably get a healthy increase over its first movie as well.

Freaking Doc Strange outperforming the X-men. Times have changed.

X-Men under Feige and co would be competing with Avengers at the BO IMO. Under Fox it competes against Marvel's lesser known characters that they are trying to bring to the mainstream.

Brhoom

Banned
You mean the Marvel Studios intro didn't tip you off at all?

On that note...

Method Man will be the Stan Lee for Black superhero movies.

I was drinking a mountain dew slushe (second mountatin dew drink ever) for the first time so I was in a bit of zone with myself.

Joke post?

No. I really just went with my friends because they always bug me that I don't go to the movies with them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
But mah super hero bubble is bursting, the internet told me so :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom