• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•11-13•16 - Strange guy and Trolls win, beat out female-lead Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

ln9ysP3.jpg
1tjM1i1.jpg
7ddCQOh.jpg
jmO46EJ.jpg
TCE66Hd.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
90% Doctor Strange
9wcOG.gif
73% Trolls
kavuF.gif
93% Arrival
3Pj0x.gif
44% Almost Christmas
0hJB1.gif
86% Hacksaw Ridge
-
aAS8X.gif
00% Shut In

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Doctor Strange’ Stays on Top With $43 Million, ‘Arrival’ Impresses

Alien invasion thriller “Arrival” capitalized on strong reviews to score an impressive debut, while Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” topped the box office for the second consecutive weekend.

The superhero adventure picked up $43 million to bring its domestic total to $153 million. DreamWorks Animation’s “Trolls” came in second, earning $35 million to bring its stateside haul to $94 million after two weeks of release.

The mixture of strong holdovers and compelling new releases goosed box office receipts, while offering a sense of escapism after a bruising presidential election that saw Donald Trump upset Hillary Clinton for the White House. Ticket sales also benefited from the Veteran’s Day holiday, which gave school children and many adults an extra day off.

“Arrival” took third, easily outpacing pre-release tracking with a debut of $24 million. Heading into the weekend, the film was expected to launch to $16 million. The film’s audience was 52% male and 85% over the age of 25.

“Arrival” was directed by Denis Villeneuve, who has built a steady following with the likes of “Prisoners” and “Sicario.” It focuses on a linguist (Amy Adams) who is recruited to try to communicate with alien visitors. Paramount picked up domestic rights to the film for $20 million. FilmNation, Lava Bear and 21 Laps financed the $47 million production.

“Arrival’s” strong box office result is a shot in the arm for Paramount, which has weathered a string of flops such as “Zoolander 2,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows,” and “Ben-Hur.” The instability starts at the top. Viacom, Paramount’s corporate parent, was engulfed in an internecine war for much of the past year, as Shari Redstone, the daughter of founder Sumner Redstone, successfully worked to oust Philippe Dauman from his perch as the company’s CEO. Paramount chief Brad Grey is trying to convince Shari Redstone that he has the vision to lead the company out of its doldrums, and has pointed to films like “Arrival” as proof that the studio’s slate is improving.

Universal’s “Almost Christmas” debuted to a solid $15.6 million across 2,376 locations for a fourth plea finish. The comedy about a dysfunctional family gathering for the holidays after their mother dies was economical to produce and carries a $17 million budget. It stars Danny Glover, Gabrielle Union, Kimberly Elise, and Jessie Usher.

Liongate’s “Hacksaw Ridge” rounded out the top five, earning $10.8 million to bring the war drama’s total to $32.3 million.

Among the weekend’s other wide releases, EuropaCorp’s “Shut In” stumbled out of the gate, kicking off to a paltry $3.7 million from 2,058 locations. The film cost $10 million to produce.

Sony bowed “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” on two screens where it made $120,300. The Iraq War drama is shot at an accelerated framerate, but few theaters will be able to exhibit the film at that speed. The limited release did exhibit the picture in the immersive format that director Ang Lee has pushed theaters to incorporate. It was screened in 4K, 3D, and at 120 frames per second. “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” will expand next weekend on to more than 800 theaters.

In limited release, Sony Pictures Classics debuted “Elle” on two screens where it earned $56,012. The thriller stars Isabelle Huppert as a woman who plots revenge against the man who raped her.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Alrus

Really great holds for Strange and Trolls. Maybe Dreamworks finally has a decent performer in their hands again.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Doctor Strange - $493M
Trolls - $200M
The Accountant - $129M
Jack Reacher - $128M
Inferno - $202M

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Madea at $70M beating Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks & Mark Walhberg! Damn.

giphy.gif

Fantastic holds for Doctor Strange & Trolls! Will see Doctor Strange Tuesday.

kswiston

Doctor Strange made another $22.8M in China this weekend, down less than 49%. It is now at $84M there.

Other superhero second weekend drops in China this year.

Batman v Superman: -77.6%
Civil War: -66.8%
X-Men Apocalypse: -74.7%

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Definitely need to catch Arrival before anything is spoiled for me.

Thread title took me a second. Pretty funny.

The commercials made it look like Trolls had more adult jokes than kids jokes.

I took my daughter to see Trolls on Friday. Nothing subtle/inappropriate and it's also not ridiculously stupid or pandering. I liked it more than I thought I would. Nice use of existing music, particularly Junior Senior and Gorillaz, too.

Rymuth

So we're getting a Strange sequel down the line, right?

I spoke highly of this movie in another thread and I'll repeat it again - great movie and a visual feast. Best Marvel origin story since IM1

If there is any filmgoing justice in the world, Arrival makes $100 million and then some. Best sci fi film in more than a decade.

y2dvd

I spoke highly of this movie in another thread and I'll repeat it again - great movie and a visual feast. Best Marvel origin story since IM1

Most likely if you get a solo film, expect to be signed on for multiple sequels.

vinnygambini

How is the pacing of the film? Is it like Civil War because the first half almost had me sleeping, while the second half was okay.

guek

Banned
Doctor Strange made another $22.8M in China this weekend, down less than 49%. It is now at $84M there.

Other superhero second weekend drops in China this year.

Batman v Superman: -77.6%
Civil War: -66.8%
X-Men Apocalypse: -74.7%
The Bendydick Cabbagepatch effect

MoeDabs

How is the pacing of the film? Is it like Civil War because the first half almost had me sleeping, while the second half was okay.

Its a lot like IM1 in terms of pacing. Great visuals but the story was somewhat lacking, at least for me. His arc of surgeon with a god complex to a wizard with god like powers just bored me :/ But really cool visuals

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Arrival was excellent, shame it flopped.

Was hoping having two recognizable leads (Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) would let it overtake Marvel's newest cookie cutter mess and that terrible looking cartoon. What a shame.

Ridley327

Was hoping having two recognizable leads (Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner) would let it overtake Marvel's newest cookie cutter mess and that terrible looking cartoon. What a shame.
I don't think doing worse than a blockbuster counts as a flop.

vinnygambini

Its a lot like IM1 in terms of pacing. Great visuals but the story was somewhat lacking, at least for me. His arc of surgeon with a god complex to a wizard with god like powers just bored me :/ But really cool visuals

The pacing is very brisk. No slogs, and makes for easy repeat viewings.

Thanks for the impressions. Seeing it Tuesday so I'm hopeful based on the above.

Arrival made over 20 million on a 47 million dollar budget, that's not a flop.

It is a great film for sure. I wouldn't call Strange a mess though. It's fun for what it is.

Bossking

Banned
I think Arrival may have had one of the worst marketing campaigns I've ever seen for a movie. It's no wonder it's not doing great.

kswiston

Current overseas pace for Doctor Strange:

'At current rates, and in overseas plays, Doctor Strange continues to track 37% ahead of Ant-Man, 34% bigger than Guardians Of The Galaxy, 27% above Thor: The Dark World and is 25% more fit than Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

Granted, this percentages will probably drop next weekend.

Mrbob

Why are people saying Arrival is doing poorly? 24 million is way above projections, great weekend.

Can DrStrange get near a 4x multiplier and reach 300 million? Surprisingly strong hold.

kswiston

Why are people saying Arrival is doing poorly? 24 million is way above projections, great weekend.

Can DrStrange get near a 4x multiplier and reach 300 million? Surprisingly strong hold.

No, but it can provably make a run for $250M depending on next weekend.

vinnygambini

Because they don't know what they are talking about.

Given the spend of $20M for Paramount on North American & China distribution rights, it's a definite success for them. Should do comparable numbers to Cloverfield 10 domestically.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Happy to see low drops for Strange and Hacksaw with a good opening for Arrival. Best month of the year for movies so far. Hoping to catch Moonlight next weekend. ^_^

kswiston

Because they don't know what they are talking about.

Given the spend of $20M for Paramount on North American & China distribution rights, it's a definite success for them. Should do comparable numbers to Cloverfield 10 domestically.

Arrival is the sort of film that would be plenty successful on $200M worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom