• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•11-13•16 - Strange guy and Trolls win, beat out female-lead Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

There's that, but the Maximoff twins were Magneto's children until Marvel decided to wipe those dirty X-men connections off of them, and they remained co-owned.

Marvel really seemed to cut themselves a shitty deal over those Fantastic Four rights. Stan and Jack used that 100 issue FF run to create half of the Marvel Universe.

Marvel has the Celestials and The Eternals, anything beyond that is just gravy

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
True. But with the recent X-Men films: First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse and Deadpool being generally viewed as good films, it's a step in the right direction, but yes you are correct, there is a lot of work to be done.

Though I think FOX realizes as such and are keen to do these characters justice as moving forward, their film slate will mostly be comprised of this in the near future (and they need everything to work well for them as they don't have the machine Disney has or the wealth of properties to work with):

- James Cameron projects (Avatar, Alita)
- Marvel/ Projects (X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four)
- Ridley Scott projects
- FOX staples (Apes, Predator, Alien)
- FOX Animation (Blue Sky, Dreamworks)

kswiston

I'm happy they kept the later Kirby stuff. But half of Marvel Cosmic is locked into Fox ownership. No Skrulls, no Shiar, no Badoon, no Galactus, no Surfer, no Negative Zone.

Maybe we'll get some Kymellians or Dire Wraiths at some point.

True. But with the recent X-Men films: First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse and Deadpool being generally viewed as good films, it's a step in the right direction, but yes you are correct, there is a lot of work to be done.

Though I think FOX realizes as such and are keen to do these characters justice as moving forward, their film slate will mostly be comprised of this in the near future (and they need everything to work well for them as they don't have the machine Disney has or the wealth of properties to work with):

- James Cameron projects (Avatar, Alita)
- Marvel/ Projects (X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four)
- Ridley Scott projects
- FOX staples (Apes, Predator, Alien)
- FOX Animation (Blue Sky, Dreamworks)

Fox definitely isn't hurting for IP. Universal is having a resurgence, but I would have placed them third after Disney and WB before that. They might still be third if they can manage the Marvel stuff better.

Slayven

I'm happy they kept the later Kirby stuff. But half of Marvel Cosmic is locked into Fox ownership. No Skrulls, no Shiar, no Badoon, no Galactus, no Surfer, no Negative Zone.

If I see a kymellians on screen i will literally screen like a 8 year old girl and dare anyone to say anything to me about it.

dabig2

Yeah, and now with Dr Strange and the upcoming Thor movie
and Agents of Shield
opening up the doors for more space/mystical threats, Marvel has a lot of cosmic bad guys to play with who can be as dangerous and menacing as someone like Galactus.

I wanna see some elder gods.

Fox definitely isn't hurting for IP. Universal is having a resurgence, but I would have placed them third after Disney and WB before that. They might still be third if they can manage the Marvel stuff better.

IIRC marvel CAN use the skrulls, but chose not to for Avengers 1. Only super skrull (and almost certainly power skrull, his shitty knockoff) is off limits.

Slayven

Yeah, and now with Dr Strange and the upcoming Thor movie
and Agents of Shield
opening up the doors for more space/mystical threats, Marvel has a lot of cosmic bad guys to play with who can be as dangerous and menacing as someone like Galactus.

I wanna see some elder gods.

How about The Six Fingered Hand? Never google Six Fingered hand without adding Marvel, you will see some shit

defenders-6-fingered-hand.jpg

IIRC marvel CAN use the skrulls, but chose not to for Avengers 1. Only super skrull (and almost certainly power skrull, his shitty knockoff) is off limits.

You will not disrepect Paibok THE POWER SKRULL!!!!

vinnygambini

Agreed and I'm hoping this happens.

X-Men Apocalypse was considered a good film? News to me.

I thought it was okay/good, an obvious step-down from Days of Future Past

Based on the above, FOX have the broad rights to produce, distribute and exploit a theatrical motion picture based on the X-Men comic book universe. It does not state that the header "X-Men" must be included in the title in order to be counted as a feature film from the 1993 agreement.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/220/289/2533881/

Geez, seems like Fox can keep the X-Men away while producing shitty Gambit movies to keep the license.

It's going to be a $600M performer for WB, J.K. Rowling gets richer, Universal Studios is happy as it keeps the Potterverse alive.

The contract specifically mentions the characters and the movies/books Universal can use for their theme park rides, but I get your point.

If not, FOX will try to tie up some of the Fantastic Four characters in future X-Men films so that their rights don't lapse. They are already doing that with X-Men and Deadpool, may as well complete the trifecta.

I don't think they can do that without Marvel's approval.

Marvel really seemed to cut themselves a shitty deal over those Fantastic Four rights. Stan and Jack used that 100 issue FF run to create half of the Marvel Universe.

Marvel is known for shitty deals. According to this one book on Marvel's history, at one point they sold all the distribution rights to all the characters for all media for something like $2500 bucks lol. Its a miracle they got the spidey rights back in the 90s only to sell them to Sony. As a matter of fact, even this latest spidey deal is crap for them, unless some info is not publicly known.

X-Men Apocalypse was considered a good film? News to me.

No, that movie sucked ass. Only good XMen movies were XMen 1 and 2. DOFP was okayish as well.

vinnygambini

As in regards to the Skrulls rights, some are at Marvel, some are at FOX.

kswiston

If I see a kymellians on screen i will literally screen like a 8 year old girl and dare anyone to say anything to me about it.

They wouldn't exactly be out of place in Guardians. I hope that James Gunn continues to dig deep, even if it's only for easter egg stuff.

Slayven

They wouldn't exactly be out of place in Guardians. I hope that James Gunn continues to dig deep, even if it's only for easter egg stuff.

I don't know if you watch the cartoon, but they had Luntik(the prototype Lobo one), shocked the hell out of me. Almost as much as them playing "The boys are back in town" in a kid's cartoon.

I really want to be that guy that does the research for them on characters and shit to use.

vinnygambini

If the contract language is the same as the one established for the X-Men rights, they can. They need Marvel's approval if the character's powers are altered - hence why FOX licensed Ego the Living Planet for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in order for Marvel to sign off on altering Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool.

Slayven

If the contract language is the same as the one established for the X-Men rights, they can. They need Marvel's approval if the character's powers are altered - hence why FOX licensed Ego the Living Planet for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in order for Marvel to sign off on altering Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool.

Did Marvel sign off on Darwin, cause they fucked up his powers

I am still mad

kswiston

I don't know if you watch the cartoon, but they had Luntik(the prototype Lobo one), shocked the hell out of me. Almost as much as them playing "The boys are back in town" in a kid's cartoon.

I really want to be that guy that does the research for them on characters and shit to use.

I don't watch cartoons anymore, but that's pretty cool. Maybe I'll convince my daughter to go through some of the better stuff on Netflix with me when she is a year or two older. She already likes Spider-man in his capacity of being on a ton of licensed crap. Batman is a no-go, since her older cousin was watching an episode of one of the newer series that featured Clayface, She thought it was the snow monster from Frozen (which she's terrified of). Now Batman is bad.

As a matter of fact, even this latest spidey deal is crap for them, unless some info is not publicly known.

Disney bought back the merchandising rights. Given that Sony Pictures will have to die before giving up the franchise, I am sure they are fine with that, being able to use Spider-man in Avengers stuff, and whatever modest cut they are getting from Homecoming and its sequels for their production credit.

Slayven

I don't watch cartoons anymore, but that's pretty cool. Maybe I'll convince my daughter to go through some of the better stuff on Netflix with me when she is a year or two older. She already likes Spider-man in his capacity of being on a ton of licensed crap. Batman is a no-go, since her older cousin was watching an episode of one of the newer series that featured Clayface, She thought it was the snow monster from Frozen (which she's terrified of). Now Batman is bad.

Disney bought back the merchandising rights. Given that Sony Pictures will have to die before giving up the franchise, I am sure they are fine with that, being able to use Spider-man in Avengers stuff, and whatever modest cut they are getting from Homecoming and its sequels for their production credit.
My nephew is really in love with Tony Stark and Miles Morales. I am trying to do better by him

That's a big if. I wouldn't put it past Marvel to make such a shitty deal, but based on what I have seen, Fox can't cross FF over to XMen and vice versa without Marvel's approval.

They already owned all the merchandise rights prior to this latest deal. Disney actually had to pay Sony a fee for Amazing Spider man 2. Marvel will get no cut from Homecoming or its two sequels, Feige and co will be paid for their production. I have broken down in detail why I think it is such a one sided deal in favor of Sony, so I won't touch on it here.

vinnygambini

Pretty much. It's their only remaining tentpole (Bond is MGM) outside of their animation business, if Spiderman goes, so does Columbia Pictures. Their TV business is stellar though.

Slayven

Nic Cage made your average NFL player look fiscally responsible when he was younger. Dude made over $100M in the 90s/early 2000s, but is now stuck taking whatever jobs he can get to pay his bills/debt.

Wasn't Nic Cage in serious tax trouble for a while? Like jail time tax trouble.

vinnygambini

That's a big if. I wouldn't put it past Marvel to make such a shitty deal, but based on what I have seen, Fox can't cross FF over to XMen and vice versa without Marvel's approval.

Understood. But I don't see why X-Men and Daredevil's contracts, who all shared the same similarities, would suddenly differ and have other technicalities exclusively for Fantastic Four.

At this point, we won't know until FOX announces their next wave of Marvel films or another lawsuit emerges between the two parties lol

The Mara girls' paternal line founded, co-owned, and adminstered the New York Giants for like 80 years. I doubt she's ever worried about paying rent.

It's more fun that that. Rooney Mara, her sister, is named after her grandparents, the owners of the Giants (of course) and the Steelers (the Rooney Rule is named after them). Their paternal line owns the Steelers.

I'd like to think that if I had $100mil, I'd just live in a sensibly sized house on a quiet street, travel in my down time, and have some nice shit. But who am I kidding, I would buy like 6 castles in Europe.

El Topo

I'm pretty sure Cage owns some weird European castles or something

I think he sold those, in part because of taxes and in part because castles are really expensive to maintain. Edit: I see kswiston has brought it up already.

Something something Constantin. There's a reason Fox doesn't distribute the FF movies in Germany, unlike e.g. the X-Men movies.

kswiston

Is that good? Its not the 60% drop you talked about last week or is this just a thing in the first week?

It's OK given the circumstances. Strange probably won't hit $250M unless legs really improve going forward, but it will still end up somewhere over $225M. It will hit $200M next weekend. Probably on Saturday.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fantastic Beasts- $75M
2) Doctor Strange- $17.6M - $181M total
3) Trolls - $17.5M - $116M
4) Arrival - $11.8M - $43M total

$572M for Doctor Strange worldwide. Chinese total is now past $100M.

Kids don't care about the Potterverse. Only 18% of the audience was <18

OldRoutes

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fantastic Beasts- $75M
2) Doctor Strange- $17.6M - $181M total
3) Trolls - $17.5M - $116M
4) Arrival - $11.8M - $43M total

$572M for Doctor Strange worldwide. Chinese total is now past $100M.

Kids don't care about the Potterverse. Only 18% of the audience was <18

It's a very dark movie sometimes and not kids friendly at all. I'd compare it to something like Gremlins, to be honest. I'm not surprised Trolls might be preferred over this by parents with kids.

mjc

Kinda makes sense, I think HP might have trouble getting young fans. That means most fans are above the age of 20 by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom