• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•04-06•16 - Strange Doctor trolls (ex-)Spider-man

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Saw Strange in IMAX today. I haven't visited the official threads yet, but I assume there were fewer "looks like a TV show" complaints this time around.

Saw Strange in IMAX today. I haven't visited the official threads yet, but I assume there were fewer "looks like a TV show" complaints this time around.

It's not a Joss Whedon movie. that argument was mostly used, and FAIRLY i gotta add, for the avengers movie.

from the trailer alone you could tell strange looked better.

Erv

Avengers did look like a TV show and I never thought any other marvel movie looked like a TV show because Josh whedon wasn't director except age of Ultron

kswiston

It's not a Joss Whedon movie. that argument was mostly used, and FAIRLY i gotta add, for the avengers movie.

from the trailer alone you could tell strange looked better.

Most of the MCU films get criticized for being visually bland, even if "looks like TV" is mostly leveled at Whedon. I don't think Strange can be accused of blandness in the special effects department. There was some nice work with color for once as well.

It'll be interesting to watch Strange's legs. The theatre I was in today seemed to love it

Most of the Marvel origin story films have pretty good legs. I wouldn't be that surprised to see Strange approach or pass $250M (~3x OW multiplier).

Bronx-Man

Banned
Guardians, Age of Ultron, and Strange are the best looking MCU movies and they've all got the same guy at cinematography.

mreddie

It'll be interesting to watch Strange's legs. The theatre I was in today seemed to love it

Legs I think will be good, Arrival is next week but I think will drop Strange to 2 and everything til Thanksgiving is meh. Post Turkey is when things are gonna be strange.

kswiston

Would $250MM Domestic and $700MM WW be a fair and reasonable LTD prediction for strange at this point?

Maybe on the optimistic side of things, but not unreasonable. We'll know more as the week progresses.

Legs I think will be good, Arrival is next week but I think will drop Strange to 2 and everything til Thanksgiving is meh. Post Turkey is when things are gonna be strange.

Arrival will have to beat tracking be a decent margin to take the top spot next weekend. Strange could stay over $40M. Even with more standard Superhero legs, it will be over $35M

Arrival will have to beat tracking be a decent margin to take the top spot next weekend. Strange could stay over $40M. Even with more standard Superhero legs, it will be over $35M

Yeah, Arrival looks phenomenal but not the type of film to top it. Fantastic Beasts will, though, however Moana is tracking it's questionable if that has two #1 weeks. I don't know. Response to Fantastic Beasts seems tepid.

kswiston

Yeah, Arrival looks phenomenal but not the type of film to top it. Fantastic Beasts will, though, however Moana is tracking it's questionable if that has two #1 weeks. I don't know. Response to Fantastic Beasts seems tepid.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, by Mojo currently has Arrival opening in 2200 venues next weekend, which is pretty low.

Fantastic Beasts has no shot at topping Moana in its second weekend unless Moana misses the mark and has a Wreck-it Ralph opening. Mockingjay Pt2 opened over $100M domestic and it was down to $52M by that second weekend. I think most places have Fantastic Beasts opening in the $70-85M range.

What will America love more?

Those goddamn Brits invading their lands with their wood sticks and flibbery doos

Or this fat gang member and his ethnic friend on a boat

Nizz

Feels like with every new Marvel film people are wondering if it will be the first to flop critically/commercially, but they surpass expectations each time it seems. First Guardians, then Ant-Man, and now Strange, they seem to have a gift for putting lesser known heroes on the big screen. And with their upcoming slate in the next couple years, I doubt they're gonna slow down any time soon.
I swear I was going to post something similar. I always worry when some of the lesser known Marvel characters' films are about to release. I wonder "will this be the first Marvel film to not open at number 1" but they always prove me wrong.

Of course I'm thrilled that these newer character's movies do well. I haven't seen "Strange" yet but I plan on going next weekend.

kswiston

Marvel's built in audience is probably good for $40-50M opening weekend at this point. I doubt that changes until they have a serious misfire.

kswiston

I don't know if Raimi is eager to jump back on the producer driven superhero film grind.

Speaking of Sam Raimi, I wonder if he is happy he didn't spend two years of his life on Warcraft.

Prompto

Banned
Marvel's built in audience is probably good for $40-50M opening weekend at this point. I doubt that changes until they have a serious misfire.
I think any superhero film these days will open with minimum $40M. Every superhero film this year did. I can't think of any recently that somehow managed to be less than...

images

Nevermind

kswiston

I think any superhero film these days will open with minimum $40M. Every superhero film this year did. I can't think of any recently that somehow managed to be less than...

images

Nevermind

Reed Richards has bungie cords all over his suit because he stretches. How did that get passed over for best costume in last year's Academy Awards?

I swear I was going to post something similar. I always worry when some of the lesser known Marvel characters' films are about to release. I wonder "will this be the first Marvel film to not open at number 1" but they always prove me wrong.

Of course I'm thrilled that these newer character's movies do well. I haven't seen "Strange" yet but I plan on going next weekend.

I think at this point people just see the Marvel Studios logo and they know the kind of quality to expect, so even the lesser known heroes have the pedigree of the studio behind them.

Alrus

Great start for Strange, I'm kinda surprised I expected it to be closer to Ant Man.

Meh/Okay opening for Trolls. I'm not sure what Dreamworks expected, at least it didn't outright bomb I guess?

images

Nevermind

I never really realized how fucking awful that poster was.

Vidiot

I saw Dr Strange with my wife and a few of her friends. They aren't super interested in Marvel movies but have a thing for Benedict Cumberbatch.

kswiston

China passed a new set of film laws. They didnt change the foreign quota of profit sharing films from 34 (there was some worry that they would actually lower the number), but they set a law that would allow them to ban blackball studios that made any film that is damaging to the national image of China. Even if that film is not being released there.

China passed a new set of film laws. They didnt change the foreign quota of profit sharing films from 34 (there was some worry that they would actually lower the number), but they set a law that would allow them to ban blackball studios that made any film that is damaging to the national image of China. Even if that film is not being released there.

So if Fox releases a movie that criticizes China and "harms" their image, then they wouldn't be able to release Avatar there? That's stupid.

Did they also change the share the studios get? I know studios were trying to push to get more than 1/4 of the BO take.

guek

Banned

Of course -_-;

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Wow... that's complete horseshit. Basically you can't say anything mean about China

kmfdmpig

Wow... that's complete horseshit. Basically you can't say anything mean about China

It's such a great country that it's afraid of any criticism hitting home too hard. Ridiculous and if that happens I'd hope that a WTO complaint would be filed.

Ridley327

What a horrendous attitude to take. What makes them so thin-skinned compared to the rest of the world?

guek

Banned
What a horrendous attitude to take. What makes them so thin-skinned compared to the rest of the world?
It's not about being thin skinned, it's about control. China has a mind bogglingly huge population with staggeringly large degree of income inequality. Maintaining the concentration of power is paramount, and much of that has to do with image and propaganda.

Schlorgan

Just got out of Doctor Strange. That might be the most visually impressive movie I've ever seen. I was very entertained.

I've been pretty selective about the Marvel movies I see, and I think it's paying off as I'm not sick of them yet.

Schlorgan

Doctor Strange at $331,987,862 WW ($91,268,233 DOM, $240,719,629 Foreign)

I think $200 million DOM minimum for Strange is a pretty safe bet.

Edit: That movie only having a $165 million budget is crazy to me.

kswiston

This will probably get buried in election threads, but some people might be interested:

Doctor Strange will go into the weekend with around $110M domestic. Thor 2 had $108.5M after 7 days, so Strange's weekday business has been a little better.

Deadline is predicting $40-42M for Strange this weekend. Boxoffice.com is being more conservative with $38M. Depending on where the film lands, the domestic total should approach or pass the $150M mark. $200M domestic is locked. Ant-man was at $106M after two weekends, on its way to $180M.

Both Deadline and BO.com are predicting that Strange easily repeats at first place, with Trolls holding onto second place. .

Deadline is predicting $15M for Arrival, and Deadline is giving a similar $16M opening prediction. That would be a pretty poor showing given that early tracking was higher. For some reason, Paramount is only releasing Arrival in 2200 venues, which doesn't help.

Deadline puts Almost Christmas at $12.5M-13M this weekend, while boxoffice.com is saying $16.5M. Tracking for films aimed at black audiences is never particularly good though.

Shut in is expected to be a miss. Hacksaw Ridge is expected to hold well.

Schlorgan

I might go see Arrival next week after the positive reception. Only a $47 million movie, so I hope it makes it back at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom