• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17th, 2017, PC/XB1/PS4) trailer, info, more

If it means that the playerbase won't be fractured by paid expansions and maps, so be it. Those who don't want microtransactions can live without them, and the whales (like me) will fund the development of maps for the rest of the playerbase.

Well you can still have microtransactions without it being random.

Yarbskoo

First game plays fine. That was its only saving grace, besides the graphics. Unless you mean the star card shit, which I agree was terrible.

The shooting is fine. It's the match flow and cards and tokens and everything else that ruins it.

Original Battlefront felt like it was trying to emulate the experience of playing as a no name grunt in part of a larger conflict. EA Battlefront felt like it was trying to emulate Call of Duty multiplayer. As far as I can tell, that hasn't really changed, and adding more players to the map won't be enough to make it feel like something bigger than just a team deathmatch.

jerry113

Banned
wow then just go play the 99% of other videogames where your only choice is to play as a male, i can't believe anyone cares about gender their character is in a shooter of all genres.

RocknRola

So Am I the only one who doesn't want to play as a girl? (in single player) Let alone one that looks like Michelle Rodriguez?? No offence to anyone, but I have no interest in playing a girl. Hope I don't sound sexist, but I'm having a hard time accepting that the Empire would have a female human special forces commander. Unless she has force powers or is related to Jango Fett

Please give me the option to play as a male so I don't have to roll my eyes when shes talking tough.

I'm sorry... but....what exactly is strange about playing as a female lead?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched the trailer... the sp character reminds me of Ciena Ree and at first I thought it was her. Definitely getting a strong Lost Stars vibe from this. It's really cool that they chose that angle for the campaign. I have Battlefront lying around untouched, wonder if I'll ever get around to it when this is around the corner. That trailer was fire.

Charcoal

So Am I the only one who doesn't want to play as a girl? (in single player) Let alone one that looks like Michelle Rodriguez?? No offence to anyone, but I have no interest in playing a girl. Hope I don't sound sexist, but I'm having a hard time accepting that the Empire would have a female human special forces commander. Unless she has force powers or is related to Jango Fett

Please give me the option to play as a male so I don't have to roll my eyes when shes talking tough.
In my 8 years on gaf, this is the best/worst post I've ever read.

If it means that the playerbase won't be fractured by paid expansions and maps, so be it. Those who don't want microtransactions can live without them, and the whales (like me) will fund the development of maps for the rest of the playerbase.

When a game is hugely successful in the first place, makes a lot of money and was going to be supported either way, how do microtransactions "fund the development of maps"? I don't understand how when in this sort of situation it isn't a a game where they need more stable income to be able to afford to pay developers to make more. They don't go "we made X amount of money from microtransactions, now we can add more content to the game!", they go "We made X amount of money from microtransactions, add more microtransactions!".

TheXbox

The shooting is fine. It's the match flow and cards and tokens and everything else that ruins it.
Yeah, okay, that stuff was garbage. But I think the class stuff will eliminate a lot of that. If we can actually get inside vehicles like Battlefield, and if heroes are more than just random map pickups, then I'm good.

hesido

So, looks like people guessed right about the lead being Janina Gavankar

janina4us82.png

She has eyes the size of a fist.

Watched the trailer... the sp character reminds me of Ciena Ree and at first I thought it was her. Definitely getting a strong Lost Stars vibe from this. I have Battlefront lying around untouched, wonder if I'll ever get around to it when this is around the corner. That trailer was fire.

It is pretty much the same time period, so not surprising. Given the line quoted verbatim from Shattered Empire, they may end up referencing the events of various bits of tie-in material from the time - which I would expect since this will be the best opportunity for exposing people to those story points.

You're all giving djnewwest shit for all the right reasons but a lot of people think that way. Hell, Horizon had focus testing to see if a female lead was acceptable enough for sales.

I use to be like that, but not express it like that or feel directly the same. I took my role playing so seriously that playing as a woman felt like cross dressing or less immersive because I'm not that gender.

Now I strangely prefer playing as female's in RPG's. It just took a while to approach it with a different perspective than "I'm role playing as a woman and that violates my sexuality." I similarly didn't want to play games where I wasn't human because of the same reasons. It's a very strange thing and I can't quite rationalize why I felt that way in the past, because my world views are largely the same.

I think some people just need to give story telling from a different gender's perspective a chance and you'll be surprised it's not as weird as you think. I think dating and getting married help me appreciate and understand better how women think and feel, so now I feel like I can relate to them better. I think it's just primarily ignorance or a lack of experience in empathising with the opposite gender?

LoveCake

I loved the original, I am not keen on class systems though, and I didn't enjoy the Battlefield 1 demo at all so much so I didn't get the game, I would rather be able to pick my own weapons then be stuck with a limited range.

I fear that I am going to be disappointed :(

This heavy use of the word "upgrading" in relationship to classes and stuff really bothers me. Especially considering how much at a disadvantage lower experienced characters were in the last one.

Monetizing Clone Trooper skins will not be kind to my wallet

There's like 50+ different armor designs for clone troopers. That shit can get crazy.

I say make a Clone Commander hero and give us the option to change the skin, that way we can be Rex, Cody, Bly, Gree, Fives, etc.

clonecommand1.jpg

clonecommand2.jpg

clonecommand3.jpg

I need them. All of them.

Skipped the first one because the beta told me what I needed to know about the first one. Boring shit fest with no skill.

If the gun play actually has some skill involved and has classes this time I'll bite.

There's like 50+ different armor designs for clone troopers. That shit can get crazy.

I say make a Clone Commander hero and give us the option to change the skin, that way we can be Rex, Cody, Bly, Gree, Fives, etc.

clonecommand1.jpg

clonecommand2.jpg

clonecommand3.jpg

That's before you get into helmetless variations too.

RAWRferal

Hopefully the Pro/Scorpio support is as good as BF1 for this, if not better.

Don't play it so much anymore, but boy that game looks delicious on my Pro.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

clonecommand1.jpg

clonecommand2.jpg

clonecommand3.jpg

should also add boss, scorch, fixer and sev from republic commando

m2bmsvr

I don't think there's any reason to expect that an original Star Wars story in a video game would be canon.

Other than TOR (which used to be canon until the reboot) was any original game not canon? Unleashed, KOTOR, Rogue Squadron, Shadows, Tie/X-Wing, even Yoda Stories was canon when it came out.

sflufan

Banned
Other than TOR (which used to be canon until the reboot) was any original game not canon? Unleashed, KOTOR, Rogue Squadron, Shadows, Tie/X-Wing, even Yoda Stories was canon when it came out.

"Canon" was a very fluid term in the pre-Disney EU.

In a 2001 statement on the franchise's official website StarWars.com, Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet clarified:

When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences ... The further one branches away from the movies, the more interpretation and speculation come into play. LucasBooks works diligently to keep the continuing Star Wars expanded universe cohesive and uniform, but stylistically, there is always room for variation.

Tubie

Loving everything about this so far.

Hope they finally add Conquest to this, even if it's just 40 players.

Walker assault and supremacy just didn't cut it for me, so my experience in Battlefront 1 was mostly in the lower player count modes.

Top Bottom