• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2016 |OT| Essendon moving to Egpyt, to be closer to supporter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dommo

At least you dudes get to play at a stadium you've played at this year. We finish first and have to play at a stadium we haven't touched all year (granted, neither has the opposition).

The idea of 'home state' finals is stupid. For some clubs it's always their actual home ground, for some it's not. If we're always going to have to play the GF at the MCG we should at least get to play our finals at our actual home ground.

Once again, I don't go for Geelong. I'm an Adelaide supporter (yes I suppose I'm pretty salty that Hawthorn could have potentially dropped into an elimination final and instead are playing in what is effectively a home qualifying final). I have no personal stake in this matchup besides my dissatisfaction with the lack of integrity here.

Yeah, it's also pretty rubbish for Sydney too, but I take special exception to this Geelong/Hawthorn matchup because it gives Hawthorn an advantage they haven't earned at all. It's rubbish that Sydney don't get to play at their home ground, but at least there's no clear advantage for GWS either. The advantage has been nullified, not reversed.

bomma_man

Are they playing the sydney game at ANZ because of the extra capacity, or the location (western sydney)? Because I really don't think they should be expecting more than 50,000 (iirc the capacity of the SCG).

Only the western Australian teams, Adelaide teams, (i guess) Queensland teams and MCG tenants are guaranteed a benefit from finishing in first, second, fifth or sixth which completely undermines the purpose of playing the regular season.

jambo

Donkey Kong won the tipping this year.

Syth was tied for 1st, but his total margin was higher by 28.

Prizes?

jambo

Get ready for AFL X everyone (via Omikron)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-new-version-of-football-20160907-gral7s.html

AFL secretly trials new version of football

The AFL has been quietly developing a modified form of Australian Rules that is played on a soccer field, which it trialled in a secret match between two VFL teams last weekend.

With the working name AFL X, the new version of the game allows just seven players from each team on the ground, far fewer than the usual 18-a-side, and is as part of a broader plan to become a year-round sport

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, speaking after the Hawks Young Executive Wing grand final breakfast, said the concept had come from a brainstorming session with his staff.

He said the idea behind AFL X had been to attract non-football fans to the game and enable it to be taken to venues where football could not normally be played because they did not have an oval.

"It was an idea that came up, to develop a new product, that was able to work in different venues and look different, in a shorter and different format" he told Fairfax Media.

It's funny reading comments overnight it seems like many felt Hawthorn deserved the win due to controlling most of the game. I don't see it that way at all, they were lucky Geelong didn't blow us away in the 4th quarter and we did just enough to hang on and have a chance at winning right at the end.

The bye is going to be interesting, will Geelong and the winner of Syd/GWS have plenty of energy to burn on prelim and potentially grand final week ? Or will the stop start lack of match practice across the month hurt them in the end ?

Grassy

Yeah the salt is inevitable I suppose. Amazing effort to win three in a row, they've been such a great team and the last four years have been pretty awesome as a Hawks supporter. Although it will be nice to be able to watch a Grand Final without the stress for the first time in a while. It'd be nice for the Doggies to win this year.

Suck shit hawthorn ya pack of arrogant cunts.

The definition of salty, lol.

Yeah the salt is inevitable I suppose. Amazing effort to win three in a row, they've been such a great team and the last four years have been pretty awesome as a Hawks supporter. Although it will be nice to be able to watch a Grand Final without the stress for the first time in a while. It'd be nice for the Doggies to win this year.

The definition of salty, lol.

I'm just glad that a Geelong v Sydney showdown is not going to be the grand final, would have been the first gf I will have skipped since 2010 lol. In neutral games I need at least one "good' team so I can cheer them on and hope they beat the team I declare the villain. And both Sydney/Geelong are villain sides lol.

I'd like the winner of GWS/Bulldogs to win the flag............... unless Adelaide manages to beat both Sydney and Geelong.

Good work Bulldogs, I thought they were going to run away with it there and dud my multi - Bulldogs 1-39pts, into crows 1-39pts.

I think crows will win tonight. It's gonna be close but if we can match them at clearances, we will win.

oipic

Some of this 'end of an era', 'the king is dead' talk the media is running with today regarding Hawthorn is a bit premature - those expecting their performances next year and beyond to drop off markedly are jumping the gun a little.

No doubt the likes of 'younger' challengers like GWS and Western Bulldogs pose a threat, but a club as well structured and run as Hawthorn is well poised to rebuild and cover any personnel losses on the fly, seamlessly rebuilding as it were. I wouldn't right them off yet - this will hurt, and they'll bounce back hard, I reckon.

Still, as a neutral (and with apologies to Hawks fans), it's nice to have the status quo shaken up a bit.

Rezbit

I'm sure by adding O'Meara, Mitchell and hell they will probably even make Vickery half decent, they will be fine.

Just some random thoughts about "equalisation", is there a system in place where clubs have to pay market value for a player (like I think is in the NRL)? Obviously with a lot of these premiership teams you hear a lot about good players taking pay cuts to get other good players to the team - seems a bit dicey.

Also, regarding players nominating (usually good) clubs in the trade period - maybe if a player declares their desire to leave, another club with the best offer should get them. So say O'Meara nominates Hawthorn and they offer a first rounder, if Collingwood say we'll give you a first and a second, well off you go to Collingwood.

But anyway it could all be irrelevant if the Bulldogs win the cup!

seanoff

The Hawks are in for a rougher than they think trot.

They seem to think O'meara and Mitchell are free. GC have already said if they dont like the Hawks offer he is going to the pre-season draft. And its not going to be a fringe player they want. They'll want a decent footballer + in return. If they dont Jaeger will not get past the bombers who will like nothing better than sticking to Hawthorn.

Sydney might be a little more ameinable but it's still going to be a decent trade.

+ Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Gibson etc are not young and are visibly slowing. You dont just replace those guys with whoever.

Roughy probably will not make it back in 2017.

The Hawks are in for a rougher than they think trot.

They seem to think O'meara and Mitchell are free. GC have already said if they dont like the Hawks offer he is going to the pre-season draft. And its not going to be a fringe player they want. They'll want a decent footballer + in return. If they dont Jaeger will not get past the bombers who will like nothing better than sticking to Hawthorn.

Any other club could get into GC's ear and make them an offer that they can't refuse but Jager may not be happy with, but would still have to go.

But if Hawthorn are the only club that comes up with ANY trade and GC thumb their nose at it...... they lose Jager for nothing. They would be better off getting something!

But then again with free trade being what it is hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong have all been able to rebuild painlessly.

The thing about the free trade agreements, Hawthorn have lost more players due to it than they have gained. They've really only benefited from it with Frawley. Every other pick up was from clever wheeling and dealing - trading players and picks to get what they were after.

bomma_man

Any other club could get into GC's ear and make them an offer that they can't refuse but Jager may not be happy with, but would still have to go.

But if Hawthorn are the only club that comes up with ANY trade and GC thumb their nose at it...... they lose Jager for nothing. They would be better off getting something!

This seems... untrue. And salty AF. The Suns chair (who's an idiot) was playing hardball lonnng before he nominated. I'd agree it's irrational, but it seems more like a way to send a message.

This seems... untrue. And salty AF. The Suns chair (who's an idiot) was playing hardball lonnng before he nominated. I'd agree it's irrational, but it seems more like a way to send a message.

Wasn't intending to be salty :), every club has done it before remember what happened with Adelaide's football department threatening Geelong for a while about Dangerfield.

The funny thing is Hawthorn have been through this before, wanting Billy Longer from Brisbane. They played hardball, couldn't get the trade done so we got Big Boy McAvoy instead - worked out pretty well helping us get the 14 and 15 flags :D.

legend166

Adelaide just really be regretting that loss to the Eagles.

Anyway, glad we're into a prelim. Obviously I'm hoping we go all the way but I'm calling this season a success now considering we basically did a rebuild straight into a prelim.

KAP151

Adelaide just really be regretting that loss to the Eagles.

Anyway, glad we're into a prelim. Obviously I'm hoping we go all the way but I'm calling this season a success now considering we basically did a rebuild straight into a prelim.

Put a pineapple on the swannies, so I hope you go all the way.

I honestly dont think anyone is going to challenge you tbh. If would be fairy tale stuff if the doggies got up.

As long as it isnt the Giants.

bomma_man

The doggies are in trouble unfortunately. They're starting to get nailed in the clearances and their disposal going into and inside 50 has been woeful. You can't afford to miss some of those set shots, and you can't let GWS get an easy rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom