• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Grassy

As a Hawks supporter, Freo are too close for my liking at this stage. They have a great chance to go on and win this.

I'm fucking emotional.

Yagharek

Pretty dull game so far. Fremantle took 2.5 quarters to settle. Hawthorn couldn't do much to get a comfortable lead.

Might get one good quarter out of this.

Shaneus

I've just flicked over after watching the last 10 minutes of the first quarter. What have I missed? Looks kinda close.

Has it been a good game? Judging by the low scorelines, I'm guessing typical Ross Lyon game?

Yagharek

Not to take anything away from hawthorn, but that was a boring game and they did 'enough' to win. Fremantle suffered stage fright and kicked poorly. Hawthorn kept them just behind for the match.

Obviously hawks were the best team this year, but as a game, I've seen more interesting snail races.

For fremantle, today was a learning experience.

Yagharek

Scoreline seems pretty shitful. Oh well, onto next year.

Same number of scoring shots. Would have been better if fremantle were accurate.

Still better than seeing geelong in another at least.

Anyway, t'was my last game of afl. WWE has more integrity.

Grassy

Same number of scoring shots. Would have been better if fremantle were accurate.

Still better than seeing geelong in another at least.

Anyway, t'was my last game of afl. WWE has more integrity.

Extra salty tears...brilliant.

It was an excellent win, fuck the haters.

droppedbear

Neo Member
Go the Hawkers!
Made up a bit for last year; bit still caught up in the game to actually analyse it but now have to watch it again

Rezbit

IMO that was one of the worst grand finals I've seen. Might be different from a Hawks fan perspective. (EDIT: Dumb comment, of course it's different, it's a premiership win!)

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
IMO that was one of the worst grand finals I've seen. Might be different from a Hawks fan perspective. (EDIT: Dumb comment, of course it's different, it's a premiership win!)

Yeah, I agree, it was as lackluster as it gets. It picked up in the third but I don't think there was a single noteworthy moment that people will remember.

AxeMan

I'm back after finding out my internet was disconnected while I was away.

Either way it wasn't the best game at all and I was never worried once the game started that we'd lose.
It's nice to get a bit of redemption

If you can give me a reliable source for the Swans "enquiring" about Franklin I would be very interested, because that seems like the biggest pile of bullshit I've ever heard.

Here is some proof for you
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sy...-the-last-minute/story-fnfll94y-1226730250653

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I would have preferred to see him go to GWS tbh. Just to see what he'd do for a young side.
I'm sort of surprised Swans were ever in the hunt.
Apparently this could get Mumford to the Hawks though you know what trade rumors are like.

Best possible outcome for us. We can hold onto Boyd and maybe Taylor Adams if he is still interested, hopefully land a couple of key defenders and retain more of our young guys.

Would have been exciting to see Buddy in the orange and charcoal but long term this is probably better. Sydneysiders are fickle and even with Buddy in the team they won't come along to Skoda unless we start winning a few games.

legend166

Buddy Franklin just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about AFL culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the NRL where you can become successful by being a jerk. If you screw someone over in the AFL, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is AFL fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch Buddy Franklin play Australian Football, nor will they purchase any of his guernseys. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Buddy has alienated an entire market with this move.

Buddy, publicly apologize and stay with Hawthorn. or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about AFL culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the NRL where you can become successful by being a jerk. If you screw someone over in the AFL, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is AFL fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch Buddy Franklin play Australian Football, nor will they purchase any of his guernseys. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Buddy has alienated an entire market with this move.

Buddy, publicly apologize and stay with Hawthorn. or you can kiss your business goodbye.

XXXX out of XXXX
Would enjoy the salt again.

My mum was elated on the weekend, you would swear we had a death in the family the way she was talking on the phone just now lol

Rezbit

Well I take it all back. Not sure I really like it to be honest.

GWS pulling out of the Buddy race. Swans signing him. Makes you wonder where that money is coming from even more now.

Mumford is definitely gone now, and apparently Reid being offered up as well. Stupid, I'd rather keep those 2 than Buddy. Mumford was on big money and Reid was on a 5 year deal.

Hahaha, still gets a laugh out of me every time.

Also man, people are REALLY gonna hate us now.

AxeMan

I'd prefer it if we kept him but I'm annoyed he is going to good team rather than helping out an expansion side.

I'm glad we get a load of cap space back and I'm glad more heat will be put on the COLA as well.

Regardless, Franklin has really tarnished his reputation, not only at Hawthorn and it's supporters but I bet for all supporters other than Sydney's

legend166

I'd prefer it if we kept him but I'm annoyed he is going to good team rather than helping out an expansion side.

I'm glad we get a load of cap space back and I'm glad more heat will be put on the COLA as well.

Regardless, Franklin has really tarnished his reputation, not only at Hawthorn and it's supporters but I bet for all supporters other than Sydney's

How has Franklin tarnished his reputation?

fisheyes

I find this whole thing hilarious, and the meltdown it causes a joy to watch.

I love the whole romantic idea of club loyalty, and respect players that could've left for glory, big bucks, whatever sticking with their team. Matty Pavlich is a good example, and I spent all of Saturday hoping his team would get up for him. But unfortunately, the whole concept is a fairytale. Look at the other moves of trade week that are being thrown around so far. Jesse White was shopped around like a piece of meat last year, and nobody wanted him. Chapman, a Cat for life, key member of their premierships, being told he won't have a new contract. Matt White gets 'most improved player' at the tigers depsite a bunch of games as Sub, but only gets offered a reduced pay, 1 year contract.. If we can accept that clubs can shaft players like that, and we should, because that's part of sport, then we should be able to accept that when the players are given control, that they should be able to do as they wish as well.

Buddy Franklin, and his manager, are a genius, by the way. All year the talk was whether you'd want to stay in a great team and have potential premiership glory or take big money and get to live with less pressure from the media in Sydney. He managed to orchestrate something that effectively lets him have his cake and eat it, too. Its brilliant.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Brisbane

Simon Black (unrestricted)
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted)

Carlton

Eddie Betts (restricted)
Heath Scotland (unrestricted)

Collingwood

Dale Thomas (restricted)
Alan Didak (unrestricted)

Essendon

Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted)

Geelong

Paul Chapman (unrestricted)
Joel Corey (unrestricted)
Corey Enright (unrestricted)
Josh Hunt (unrestricted)

Hawthorn

Lance Franklin (restricted)
Max Bailey (unrestricted)
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted)
Brent Guerra (unrestricted)
Michael Osborne (unrestricted)

Melbourne

Colin Sylvia (unrestricted)

Port Adelaide

Tom Logan (unrestricted)
Matt Thomas (unrestricted)

Richmond

Luke McGuane (unrestricted)
Matt White (unrestricted)

Western Bulldogs

Dylan Addison (unrestricted)
Daniel Cross (unrestricted)
Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted)

Players up for free agency! further info on the differences (and source):
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-09-30/free-agency-begins-friday

Rezbit

Apparently the mail is the Buddy has been offered a NINE YEAR DEAL worth 10 mil. If that is true I would be more ashamed of the Swans than I've ever been, especially after we've managed to get so many good players through drafting and savvy trading. That would take him to 35 years of age :\

What a joke.

Apparently the mail is the Buddy has been offered a NINE YEAR DEAL worth 10 mil. If that is true I would be more ashamed of the Swans than I've ever been, especially after we've managed to get so many good players through drafting and savvy trading. That would take him to 35 years of age :\

What a joke.

That's ridiculous. Come on Swans.

This is my worst nightmare i now know what people felt like on election night haha, i knew he was going but the guy should have been up front from the start.

Westlo

I seriously hope the league let the swans sign franklin up for 9 years, would be glorious when franklin calls it quit with 3-4 years on his contract and the swans have to use up 3.6 or 4.8 million of their cap on buddy the year after he retires.

just reward for a shit club, good luck selling the bloods culture to the team from now on when 2 players out of 36 make up 20% of your cap. pity they didn't sanction the shit out of your club when roos admitted he had no idea what his players where given when they were investigated years ago.

on another matter, was looking @ alex browne's twitter after he confirmed he resigned with essendon for another year.

Alex Browne ‏@AlexBrowne24 30 Sep

Best club with the best bunch of blokes! Excited for 2014 �� #exodus?

Yeah so much for that exodus... anyway saw he retreet something from Monfries after the west coast game.

Angus Monfries ‏@AngusMonfries 27 Jun

Poor taste by WCE fans at Subiaco tonight!!

Was a pissa we boo'd the shit out of him the next week, though it was after he got a few bullshit freekicks to be fair.

Edit - I hope GWS offer the swans their final round pick for Mummy.

DXPett1

Just saw Adrian Anderson on The Project TV, he did pick a great time to get our of the AFL. The game has never been more farcical. Countdown until Big D takes that US Tennis job...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I seriously hope the league let the swans sign franklin up for 9 years, would be glorious when franklin calls it quit with 3-4 years on his contract and the swans have to use up 3.6 or 4.8 million of their cap on buddy the year after he retires.

just reward for a shit club, good luck selling the bloods culture to the team from now on when 2 players out of 36 make up 20% of your cap. pity they didn't sanction the shit out of your club when roos admitted he had no idea what his players where given when they were investigated years ago.

on another matter, was looking @ alex browne's twitter after he confirmed he resigned with essendon for another year.

Alex Browne ‏@AlexBrowne24 30 Sep

Best club with the best bunch of blokes! Excited for 2014 �� #exodus?

Yeah so much for that exodus... anyway saw he retreet something from Monfries after the west coast game.

Angus Monfries ‏@AngusMonfries 27 Jun

Poor taste by WCE fans at Subiaco tonight!!

Was a pissa we boo'd the shit out of him the next week, though it was after he got a few bullshit freekicks to be fair.

Edit - I hope GWS offer the swans their final round pick for Mummy.

the exodus continues!

Fletcher signs on for another year lololol

Westlo

the exodus continues!

Fletcher signs on for another year lololol

Watch them spin Crameri and Coyler leaving, and Jetta wanting out as reasons for why players are unhappy @ Essendon. Nevermind the fact that Crameri has a fantastic relationship with Macca, is getting an extra year and more money (like fuck I would want to be paying him 400k a year when he's 29) and some midfield time (lol). Nevermind that Coyler can barely break into the side and wants a chance elsewhere (we have a group of 2-3 year mids on the come up), nevermind that Jetta is a downhill skier and no other club is interested in him and he would be delisted if he was out of contract.

Dat Exodus.

Westlo

I don't know what's more hilarious, some bomber fans not wanting to trade myers for montagna, or the st kilda f.c itself.

DXPett1

I don't know what's more hilarious, some bomber fans not wanting to trade myers for montagna, or the st kilda f.c itself.

Why would we trade a younger all rounder for a hasbeen?

In regards to Crameri, it would be sad to see him go but at the same time he is like Ryder, shows glimmers of massive potential but otherwise fairly lazy

Yagharek

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-...urvey-reveals-extent-of/5026444?section=sport

The AFL has made changes to its anti-doping code after finding players from nine clubs have used supplements independently sourced.

An AFL survey, carried out under the guidance of its chief medical officer Peter Harcourt earlier this year, revealed the information, in addition to finding 12 clubs were conducting supplement programs.

These programs, according to the survey, lacked "a single point of accountability" with the unnamed clubs not properly documenting the supplements players were using.

So where are the bleating hypocrites now?

Eleven other teams with glaring governance shortcomings, no doubt also putting the health and safety of their players at risk.

Next years finals series will be a top 6 with Essendon asking for a 'please explain' from the rest of them.

Going to be interesting once ASADA starts slapping down those infraction notices.

No doubt more interesting now than it was when you made that post.

AxeMan

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-...urvey-reveals-extent-of/5026444?section=sport

So where are the bleating hypocrites now?

Eleven other teams with glaring governance shortcomings, no doubt also putting the health and safety of their players at risk.

Next years finals series will be a top 6 with Essendon asking for a 'please explain' from the rest of them.

No doubt more interesting now than it was when you made that post.

Short answer: They didn't get the AFL in trouble

Top Bottom