• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

If you Google "did you see that ludicrous display last night", it comes up with Premier League results.

Edit: Holy fuck that point hahaha

Bishop89

Ah I misunderstood sorry.

But isn't this a Highlander situation where the spirits of the beaten teams go into the winners? They're part Roos now.
No if they were part roo's, West Coast would have demolished Hawks in the first quarter then suck for the remaining 3. WC are sucking all 4 quarters 😜

legend166

So how do we rate the three dynasties of the 21st century so far? For me it goes Brisbane > Hawthorn > Geelong. Although I guess if you include 08 Hawthorn goes ahead.

Brisbane gets the points for having to travel to win their three flags (including one year having to travel for a 'home' final which is hilarious). Geelong's best was probably the best of the three. Hawthorn are just ruthless and are able to slam the door once they have control of the game. Very good mentally.

I'm glad we were able to snag one in 2012.

DeSo

Banned
Well done to the Hawks, hope you fans enjoy it. Three in a row, that is friggin' impressive.

I turned it off after quarter time, the Eagles were woeful in that opening quarter and by the looks of things they didn't get any better.

farmerboy

So how do we rate the three dynasties of the 21st century so far? For me it goes Brisbane > Hawthorn > Geelong. Although I guess if you include 08 Hawthorn goes ahead.

Brisbane gets the points for having to travel to win their three flags (including one year having to travel for a 'home' final which is hilarious). Geelong's best was probably the best of the three. Hawthorn are just ruthless and are able to slam the door once they have control of the game. Very good mentally.

I'm glad we were able to snag one in 2012.

Pies fan here. I'd still rate Brisbane as the best. They were animals.

Three in a row is an amazing effort. Well done Hawks.

Well done Eagles for getting to the big dance. Weren't good enough today but just as long as they keep improving next year, they should challenge again.

Well done Hawthorn, exceeded my expectations this season. Three in a row is a massive achievement that nobody can take away (unless they get done for peptides lol).

Better than Geelong for sure, not quite sold on being better than Brisbane... .maybe if they win 4 in a row, something to aim at next year.

bomma_man

Fucking terrible game. Just like last year I watched about five minutes, realised it was shit, and just made the most of the opportunity to get pissed with my mates. I think we've blessed in the last ten years with the st Kilda and first sydney hawks gf. History shows that blowouts are more common than not.

AxeMan

I think our 3-peat was a better feat than Brisbane's seeing as they had a larger salary cap and the pick of Fitzroy's players. Also less equalisation measures and teams in the league then.

The Brisbane team would probably beat our team though.
Cats are behind both though

jambo

Has anyone bought the GF DVD yet? Seems to have bonus material and multiple radio calls.

I managed to record the game and have it in 720p50, but I want the DVD for my collection.

The 2010 and 2011 GFs ended up on Blu-ray as they were HD, but I can't find any info about a possible Blu-ray release.

AxeMan

Interesting Jambo.
A couple of points.

I haven't bought any of the previous GF's (last year I said I was waiting for the 3-peat pack, I reckon I just may wait for the 4-peat pack).

In all seriousness, I didn't believe (and still don't) that they released any GF in HD. To my knowledge this was the first GF that C7 broadcast in HD. Very happy to be proven wrong though. I'd be interested in the last 3 GF's in HD with alternate commentaries

I also thought that all releases contained the extra commentaries, I know my '08 DVD does.

jambo

Interesting Jambo.
A couple of points.

I haven't bought any of the previous GF's (last year I said I was waiting for the 3-peat pack, I reckon I just may wait for the 4-peat pack).

In all seriousness, I didn't believe (and still don't) that they released any GF in HD. To my knowledge this was the first GF that C7 broadcast in HD. Very happy to be proven wrong though. I'd be interested in the last 3 GF's in HD with alternate commentaries

The 2007-2011 TV rights were split between 7 and 10. The 2010 GF coincided with the launch of 7Mate, so Seven simulcast the GF on 7Mate in 1080 HD (also 3D lol).

The replay match the following week was only broadcast in SD on Seven, as the HD cameras were being used for the NRL Grand Final.

As for the 2011 GF, that was Channel 10's last GF, and for some reason they decided to broadcast it in SD, even though they had full HD equipment at the ground.

I own the Blu-rays for 2010 and 2011 and they look superb, far better than any other GF DVD.

Unfortunately, from 2012 onwards with the new deal, Seven were in charge again and decided to broadcast everything AFL related on the main channel in SD.

Foxtel did broadcast the 2012-2014 GFs in HD, but for some reason (probably sales) the games never came out on Blu-ray, so you'd have to find a Foxtel rip some where.

I also thought that all releases contained the extra commentaries, I know my '08 DVD does.

There were a few times where the AFL would release a GF DVD within a few days or a week of the match and it would just be the game with the TV commentary and nothing else. Then a few weeks later the usual DVD with multiple commentaries would come out. Seems like this year they have a new deal with Shock Entertainment and they've done the full thing straight away.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Props to Adelaide and Geelong on getting the Dangerfield deal done on day 1 of the trades. Should be interesting to see how our midfield goes next year. Dangerfield's inclusion should do wonders for us along with a fit ruckman or two.

Disappointed we had to give up Dean Gore to get it done, he was one of the 2 kids that I was excited to see in our side. Heard a lot of good things about him and he constantly impressed in every game he played in the VFL. The other player was Jansen who is rumored to be heading to Brisbane!

Hopefully we still have someone to offer Carlton, West Coast and maybe Gold Coast to get those potential other trades done though losing our 2 top picks puts us in a tough position. I'm hoping West Coast won't match our offer for Selwood which we should find out about by 5pm today.

Edit: Sounds like Selwood coming over is now official. Very happy, hopefully he can overcome his troubled ankle and play some of the footy he showed a couple years ago.

jambo

I really hope the Dixon deal gets done sooner rather than later.

Good to hear the Dangerdield stuff went smoothly, will be interesting to see what Geelong can build out of this in the coming years.

Also, super fucking happy that Hartlett signed on until 2021, amazing dedication in the modern era.

Rezbit

Nice job by the Cats. I don't think Adelaide got dudded (especially considering Danger could have walked out the door), but Geelong must be happy to keep next year's pick.

Suckling to the Doggies, not a bad pick up that. I know he didn't have the best year but still has a lot to offer methinks, could have used him at the Swans.

jambo

Nice job by the Cats. I don't think Adelaide got dudded (especially considering Danger could have walked out the door), but Geelong must be happy to keep next year's pick.

Suckling to the Doggies, not a bad pick up that. I know he didn't have the best year but still has a lot to offer methinks, could have used him at the Swans.

Bad memories

3T7bWDr.jpg

>=[

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Geelong again showing how trades are done. We have 3 of the first 5 (I think).

Very happy to get Henderson. Probably a bit like S. Selwood where he had a really good year a couple of years back and fell out of form. He should do a lot better with a better group around him so hopefully that's the case.

Now all we need to do is get Zac Smith. Would be nice to have a decent, durable ruckman on our list for once. Not sure what we actually have left to offer though.

Westlo

I love how being told for the last week that we'll take pick 24 and steak knives or lose him for nothing from Saints fans that the Hawks had just swept in and are about to steal Carlisle.

Thanks Hawks.

4, 15, 18, 23, 25 and Leuenberger

or if Saints buckle

4, 5, 23, 25, 41 and Leuenberger

Shame it's a weakish draft (next years is meant to be real good) but heck if we can come away with two or Franics, Parish and Oliver, and nail the other late picks (get Rioli ffs), should be a good stepping stone for the Woosha era.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It shouldn't have been a surprise; Hawthorn we're being too quiet in the draft. It made sense that they would go after someone like Carlisle as a direct replacement for Lake.
I think they've got him tbh. He's not worth the number 5 pick, though if Saints want him they now need to pay up.

leng jai

I think the Saints will give up pick 5. I don't think Carlisle is worth pick 5, but the Saints want him.

Carlisle is an AA key defender, a position St Kilda desperately need filled especially since Fisher is probably retiring soon. Not worth pick five probably but it's all speculative when it comes to the draft.

Westlo

Pretty happy with how Essendon did during trade week.

Luenberger is a massive upgrade on Bellchambers... who I can't see being in the same side... McKernan will be the rotating rucking/forward for those 2. Much better ruck situation than last year...

Birds a nice pick up for what would've been pick 44... will be best 22 and only pushed out of Sydney because Mitchell took his chance and they have Mills and Dunkley coming in as well. They can put his cap space to someone like Parker too eventually... Will also be a good tagging option, we really needed another considering Hocking only played 5 games last year. And if one of them get lit up, put the other one on.

Getting pick 5 along with 4 is massive, even if they are "really" 6 & 7 considering Hopper and Mills are Top 3 talent. Really need to nail these two picks like the Dogs did with Macrae and Stringer...

Hoping that Melbourne go for Parish or Weideman, which will probably give us Francis and the other. Should go all in on one of Tomlinson, Omeara, Prestia etc for 2017... was glad Carlton didn't swing the Tomlinson trade... would be the perfect partner for Daniher....

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I was really impressed with what a lot of the teams had picked up this year in the trades. I don't remember ever paying such close attention to what was going on in previous years. I followed a lot of rumors and most players who wanted to leave got to where they wanted to go which was exciting to see. Most teams should be happy with what they got.

Was happy to see Melbourne be as aggressive as they were. Should do wonders for their future. The Roos era has been huge for them. Now they just need to start moving up that ladder.

Freo not finding a replacement for Pavlich again was the biggest failure. They'll surely get McCarthy in 2 years but need someone to fill that role in the meantime. They needed someone 2 years ago imo. Carlton are in similar position losing another forward.

Am fairly happy with Geelong's trade period. Glad we got the players we got but I think we sold the farm to get them and probably should have been a little greedier in getting a little more back in the way of picks. In the end it shouldn't even matter what we paid once the season starts. Now we just need to find a gameplan that can give us a good shot at competing against the other sides.
I think we may end up having the final 4 picks in the draft with our current picks being 67, 85, 103,121. Should be amusing to see. If we get someone decent out of it I'll be amazed.

jambo

Pretty happy with what Port got, just hoping that Dixon's glass ankle doesn't shatter at the first training session in the new year.

Also, it seems like this was one of the most hectic trade periods in a long time, although it could just be the extra exposure on Twitter that made me realise how much actually goes on.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Geelong got a very favorable draw for next year, if all goes well we should be able to push top 4 easily. Need to win the games first of course!

5 interstate games: Freo, Ade, Port, GWS and Bris.
Play Ess and Bris twice.
From the top 8 teams we only play Ade and WB twice.
And we get 8 home games at Skilled.

oipic

Oh yes, the 'exciting' unveiling of the round 1 details, then then orchestrated drip-feed release of other 'highlights' of the draw throughout the week, then the orchestrated song and dance announcement of the 'Toyota AFL Fixture'...

Our yearly reminder of how arbitrary and compromised the AFL 'draw' is, and how heavily it is influenced by a whole bunch of shitty corporate factors that have nothing to do with the game of football. All quite farcical, like almost all elements of the AFL competition these days.

I say that as a lover of the game whose love is waning with every passing season, for countless reasons. Sorry, I'm just a grumpy bugger who misses the old days, I guess, but the AFL as an organisation really is quite shite. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom