• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

fisheyes

CajjWeA.png

Join the AFL GAF TIPPING LEAGUE 2013!
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/believe
Password, in honour of their premiership, is legend166

------

Its that time again! The NAB Cup (the AFL pre-season competition) begins this Friday (Feb 15). The proper season opener is again split over two weekends, with the very first game (Adelaide vs. Essendon) on Friday March 22.

If you've been living under a rock this past week or so, there's been just a slight controversy regarding the use of performance enhancing drugs in the AFL (and Australian Sport in general) that might just dominate a couple of headlines over this coming season. You've probably missed the coverage, though, they've kept it fairly quiet.

Important Links / Notes

2013 Season Fixtures
Season 2013 Fixture
NAB Cup 2013 Fixture

Highlights Videos
Token 2012 Highlights Video (couldn't really find a great one)
"2012: The Season that Was" video by AFL.com.au highlighting the big headlines of last year's season
A highlights video of the past 10 or so years for those of you who are new to the game

International Visitors
- Games can be watched online through http://afltv.afl.com.au/ - It Lets you watch every single live and on-demand on your desktop, mobile or tablet. NAB Cup Season Pass is FREE, whilst the AFL 2013 Premiership Season Pass is $120 AUD. Not available for Aussies though =\
- In most countries, a selection of games (shown live or 'near-live') can be seen on ESPN (in the US they are on ESPN2 and online on ESPN3) as well as a few other places - for more details, go here
- In the US, games on are on Fox Soccer Plus

---

AFL-GAFFERS:
GAF Supporter List: (UPDATED!)

Adelaide Crows - tri_willy, Dommo, deadmeadow88, Galdun
Brisbane Lions - Grug
Carlton Blues - oipic, speedpop, maladroid, Macready1306
Collingwood Magpies - Dead Man, El'Kharn, Satchel, Jables Swan, bobnowhere
Essendon Bombers - theb0xmIke, Jezabel, HolyCheck, Ingram, Westlo, Shancake, RandomVince
Fremantle Dockers - what's in a name
Geelong Cats - Andiie
Gold Coast Suns -
GWS Giants - BanShunsaku
Hawthorn Hawks - Grassy
Melbourne Demons - KAP151
North Melbourne Kangaroos- guidop, Jebus
Port Adelaide Power - jambo, fisheyes, Ningo, Juicy Bob, reptilescorpio, Chaosmidas,
Richmond Tigers - a posh hammer
St Kilda Saints - Ydahs, Pachael, Scullibuno
Sydney Swans- Rezbit, legend166, iSimon
West Coast Eagles - FGMPR, midonnay, Kerrby, cr_blah_blah, Nickovic, aDDiKt24, VOOK, Raad, oxirane(?)
Western Bulldogs - Major_Lazer

GAF AFL TIPPING LEAGUE:
COMING SOON - Does anybody have a preference for what site we run this through?

GAF AFL DREAM TEAM:
COMING SOON - There is a new 'Fantasy-style' Competition with a draft on the AFL site, I know legend166 has been pushing for us to give this a go for a while, should we finally try it this year?
Also, don't forget about Ydahs' great http://dream-stats.com/ site for all your Dream Team / Supercoach needs

Relive all the fun of the AFL 2012 OT

Thanks to jambo, Grug and Ydahs, I used a few bits from last years thread for this one (up to and including this very line)

ptw5VHX.jpg

Rezbit

Essendon is going to cop it all year.

Also REIGNING PREMIERS fan checking in. Let's go back to back baby!

Edit: Thread title is fine, solid piss take.

fisheyes

Terrible thread topic but unsurprising I guess. My bet is by the end of the year several clubs are in the firing line.

Punishment will be interesting to say the least.

Yeah I'd definitely be surprised if Essendon and 'one other player' remain the only groups implicated.

On that note, if somebody has a better title, go ahead.

maladroid

Hoorayy, the only thread I participate in on GAF. :D

Re: Tipping. I don't really mind, as long as we do it from the start of the season.

Carn the Blues. Hope we can finish 8th or something. :\

Ydahs

Sweet, really looking for to this season. Good job on the OT!

Slightly off topic, but middonay's still banned, isn't he? It's been almost three months, I hope it isn't permanent since he was one of the regulars last season...

I have no fucking clue how Port are going to go this year. They already have my money so I'll just treat it as a donation I guess.

Also please no more drugs.

Carn the Doggies!!! Honestly not expecting much this season, last season was a disaster so just hoping to see some improvement.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Was wondering who would create this year's thread.

I'd be up for another year of tipping. I remember someone saying last year we should have used footytips.com.au instead of the one we had used. No idea if it's any good though. Personally I'm not that fussed.

Could be a very interesting year of footy this year. I'm expecting a much closer year between all teams. You'll still have a couple of the usual suspects struggling to keep pace but I feel like plenty of sides could be in for big improvements.

As for Geelong I mostly just want to see how our kids go. After our VFL win last year you could come away thinking every kid could be a future champion but obviously not all will so it's going to be interesting to see which step up, which fall away and hopefully see a few new faces make a quick first impression in the senior side.
Also I want to see if we can overcome out midfield struggles from last year, fill the hole that Scarlett left in our backline and see how Caddy handles himself in a top side.

N/m. Not going to get involved any further. Enjoy the season. :)

Only just realised you changed your name. O_O

Ydahs

I personally don't mind the official AFL tipping site. It gets the job done and those who signed up for it last year don't need to sign up again.

Galdun

Neo Member
I'd be up for another year of tipping. I remember someone saying last year we should have used footytips.com.au instead of the one we had used. No idea if it's any good though. Personally I'm not that fussed.

I personally don't mind the official AFL tipping site. It gets the job done and those who signed up for it last year don't need to sign up again.

Can you win whoppers with the official one? Even though I don't eat them its still pretty nice to win something!

oipic

What footy needs most right now is for some footy to be played, even if it is just the NAB Cup. Has turned into the off season from hell, so let's hope the drug and tanking 'situations' are addressed swiftly (and firmly) so we can all move on from this circus.

jambo

Shit, the NAB cup snuck up on me. Good work getting the new thread up, looks good.

I reckon for the tipping we should make a group on the official AFL website. Last year I think it was split between AFL.com.au and footytips.com.au, can't remember exactly. Looks like it was only on the AFL.com.au tipping site last year, I think my work comp was on footytips.com.au.

I'm fine with either the official site or footytips.com.au, they're both good sites and work well for comps. The existing comp at AFL.com.au uses the code RYCC2YUH4D.

CARN THE PEAR!!!

Chris R

Sucks that the TV rights are still stuck on Fox Soccer Plus here in America :( Wish ESPN would buy them back, live sports in the middle of the night has to be better than infinity reruns of sportscenter :(

jambo

Might want to update the OP with the international streming info

Omnisport.tv haven't had any updated AFL info since the 2010 season and AFL Live have won't be doing the 2013 AFL season.

There is however, an official alternative:

http://afltv.afl.com.au/

Lets you watch every single live and on-demand on your desktop, mobile or tablet. NAB Cup Season Pass is FREE, whilst the AFL 2013 Premiership Season Pass is $120 AUD. Not available for Aussies though =\

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The AFL have put some videos and a playlist up on YouTube to highlight the rule changes in 2013

AFL 2013 Laws of the Game

I really hope they sort out the umpiring for this year. Last year was the worst year for umpiring I can remember.

The Caddy/Pendlebury example they gave, around 3mins of the linked video, was laughable; he barely hit his leg at all.

jambo

The Caddy/Pendlebury example they gave, around 3mins of the linked video, was laughable; he barely hit his leg at all.

I didn't quite understand why they put that one. If stuff like that is going to get free kicks then we may well see people hamming it up to get frees.

The deliberate out of bounds crackdown was pretty special.

I fucking hated that. It went from being about kicking down the boundary towards your offensive half or near some players to having to almost directly find a player.

I really hope they sort out the umpiring for this year. Last year was the worst year for umpiring I can remember.

I didn't quite understand why they put that one. If stuff like that is going to get free kicks then we may well see people hamming it up to get frees.

I fucking hated that. It went from being about kicking down the boundary towards your offensive half or near some players to having to almost directly find a player.

They probably only put the Caddy one in because it actually fractured Pendles' leg and he missed a bit of footy because of it.

The AFL are just making the rules even muddier now. The rule changes themselves are fine, but it's the "interpretations" they have changed for things like stricter holding the ball calls. This is going to end bad. Might end up like that Eagles vs Cats game with the deliberate out of bounds rules.

Of course I'm biased but I'm pretty happy with how Giants memberships are going so far this year. Almost to 9 and a half thousand so it looks like we will smash last year's number of 10,241.

I know it probably doesn't seem like many members by comparison with other clubs, but after seeing the lack of supporters at games late in the season last year I was a bit worried about memberships this year...

And if we get to 10,000 members before the Suns Bluey has to do some beach running in Giants budgie smugglers so that is a bonus I guess :/

jambo

Of course I'm biased but I'm pretty happy with how Giants memberships are going so far this year. Almost to 9 and a half thousand so it looks like we will smash last year's number of 10,241.

It still blows my mind that we (Port) had 36,000~ members over the past two years...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I probably won't be able to watch until tomorrow. :(
I'm definitely watching the Geelong games; screw missing those.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Watched about 10 mins. Goddard looked to be a pretty handy addition for Essendon.

You forget how fun footy can be to watch; glad to have it back.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Geelong had no right winning that. Looked really sloppy the whole game except the opening few mins of each quarter. Managed to snatch that 9 pointer from nowhere.

Top Bottom