• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I've only got the one tip so far... I was hoping I could get by with just lazy picks picking the teams who were supposed to win rather than picking who I thought would win. At least now you start to see which teams are up and about early and which are set to struggle.

Ydahs

Saints were bloody poor Saturday night. I'm hoping it was just a bad week, but I think we're in for a quite a long season...

5/8 tips for me so far. Tipped Hawthorn over Geelong, hoping for 6/9!

fisheyes

Right where we belong
just in case we don't ever get there again
FcqgjUm.png

Fantastic performance. Ollie Wines is a beauty.

Shaneus

Hope Hawthorn's getting used to that bottom position, because they'll stay there after Geelong smash the fuck out of them
lol, Cats'll win by a goal, maybe two

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic contest early. Hawthorn look slick and are causing a lot of problems with their run. I think unless we start controlling the play more we'll struggle to stay in the game. Not getting nearly as many inside 50s as we should and when we do Hawthorn are killing it.

1/2 time: Tough game. Hawthorn have been outstanding. Geelong haven't been able to have their way like they normally do at all. Any time we look likely to break free the hawks stop us dead in our tracks. We need to bottle up the midfield a bit more, hawks are getting too many easy runs at their 50. It'll be tough to come back without a midfield lift.

3rd: What a turn around. Sets up a ripper last quarter.

End: What a win. Our constant run was really impressive, shame we didn't run it out a little better. Hawthorn almost snatched it too. When they got 8 down and were lining up all I could think of was 'not again' thought they'd be the ones to snatch it from us.

Btw I put $100 on when they had us 2.70 for the win, only got 2.60 but picked myself up an extra $160!

maladroid

Congrats on 10 in a row!

Shocker of a round for me. Richmond 9th, though, so all is right with the world. Have no idea how we'll do this season..

KAP151

I have been disgusted as a Melbourne supporter plenty of times, especially over the last 6 odd seasons, but never ashamed in almost 30 years of barracking/membership. I was on Sunday.

Yesterdays game left me feeling numb. The worst part was a little kid in front of me, no more than 5-6 saying to his Dad "I will never see the Demons win, do I have to go for them anymore?'. It was pretty heartbreaking. At least I got to see my team play in the occasional final - kids today have seen nothing but filth from the Dee's.

My team is so full of inept, lazy and putrid players that in this point in time, I dont give a stuff what happens to the lot of them (well besides maybe 3 of them, Jack Viney being one).

We are the laughing stock of the competition and are going nowhere.

Ydahs

From the outside looking in, it just feels like a group of Melbourne players don't have that desire to win anymore. It's almost as if they've conceded defeat before getting out there, like those local footy sides who have found themselves on the bottom of the ladder 5-6 years in a row. Another one of those repeated efforts and their supporter base will just stop turning up, leaving the club in a financial ruin once again.

Three or four years ago, you would say that Richmond and Melbourne were almost on the same level. Now Richmond look to be pushing into the eight while Melbourne don't look like making it anytime soon. Same can be said about both Port Adelaide and the Bulldogs, who have started the season off with a great win.

I wonder what the fallout will be if Gold Coast finishes the season with more wins...

fisheyes

Before the season started, I had the Dees pegged for 15th spot, above Gold Coast, GWS and Bulldogs respectively, but with a bit of improvement over last year and some promising signs - Toumpas and Vines are quality kids, I think Dawes is a good pickup to work in tandem with a full season from Mitch Clark, and I thought Rodan, with the benefit of going to a new club, might have added just a bit of X Factor. I know its only one week, and we can't really read too much into it, but I now think its Melbourne that will fill that bottom spot. They were woeful.

For me, its no question that Gold Coast will finish above them - the Suns already have 1 win, we could be half way through the season before Melbourne even get that. The question now becomes whether GWS will get above them, and honestly, it would not surprise me if they did. At least for the first half of the season, I see GWS copping less comprehensive drubbings than Melbourne, and that's saying something. It'll be a long year.

Also, Western Bulldogs' 1 win is pretty close to half of what I was expecting them to get all season... I expected them to be the woefully noncompetitive team to pile criticism on, to be honest.

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday April 5th
St Kilda vs. Richmond @ The MCG

Saturday April 6th
Sydney vs. Gold Coast @ The SCG
Western Bulldogs vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. Adelaide @ The Gabba
Essendon vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Port Adelaide vs. Greater Western Sydney @ AAMI Stadium

Sunday April 7th
Geelong vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium
Collingwood vs. Carlton @ The MCG
West Coast vs. Hawthorn @ Patersons Stadium

Round 2 Teams

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
There was a stage there in that 3rd quarter of the Esendon / Melbourne game that I found so hard to watch. You couldn't help but feel sorry for the Dees because they were in such disarray, Essendon were running all over them. I don't think I've ever seen a more helpless display from a football side ever. When it gets that bad what could you possibly do to change it? To think it's only the second game of the season.

KAP151

I was there last night and my soul has now been crushed. I have nothing left to give to this club anymore. Been a member for most of my life but I refuse to spend anymore of my time, money or sanity to an organisation that is so completely and utterly inept. Just when I think it can not possibly get ANY worse, it can and does.

And we have West Coast next week. YEAH!

And to the fucking hero Essendon supporters that came over to the race and heckled the shit out of Melbourne players and fans, there is a special spot in hell waiting for you.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
We're getting clearly outplayed against North. Disappointingly so. Smart gameplan from them.
Hopefully we can work hard and long enough to grind out an unlikely win but you'd expect if North can get the first couple after half time it'll put it almost beyond doubt. Need to put the brakes on and get some better delivery into 50 which was the same problem from last week's first half.

Edit: What a game that turned out to be. Desperation from both sides. Fantastic win.

fisheyes

What an ending. Poor North Melbourne. Still rocking that "don't let North Melbourne take me for a walk, they can't hold a lead" meme from back at the Port game last year.

Also, can someone please tell me why the predominantly orange guernsey of the Giants was considered a clash for Port's predominantly black guernsey last night, but Carlton can wear a navy blue guernsey alongside the Colliwobbles' predominantly black guernsey and that's all hunky dory? The AFL is so strange some times.

Shaneus

Answered your own question :/

PS. Relieved Geelong came away with that one. From all accounts (I only heard bits and pieces of it on the radio) it sounds like North should have taken it relatively comfortably.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Answered your own question :/

PS. Relieved Geelong came away with that one. From all accounts (I only heard bits and pieces of it on the radio) it sounds like North should have taken it relatively comfortably.

I sort of called what needed to be done in my last post. I saw glimpses that if we were able to put a bit more consistent pressure all over the ground on North we might be able to drag the game back and that's a bit of what happened. It reminded me a little of the Hawks game last week but this time I thought North looked more dangerous than Hawthorn did after the long break and we really struggled to get that leading goal.

The opening of the third was brilliant.

maladroid

We should have won with Jolly out so early, but 21-13. How Murphy didn't get that free for that obvious high just outside the goal square, or Armfield didn't get one for in the back with 2 minutes to go, I have no idea..

jey_16

Banned
Carlton's next 3 games are Geelong, West Coast (in Perth) and Adelaide. Could go 0-5, would they be able to come back from that?

A day late but man Melbourne are almost at Fitzroy levels of bad at the moment.

Also proud at how my doggies are playing, gallant in defeat yesterday.

droppedbear

Neo Member
As a Hawks fan not looking forward to this final quarter; West Coast are coming and we seem to be choking again when it matters.
Lets hope we can somehow manage to win this one.
The Geelong vs North game this afternoon was a great final quarter to watch.

Westlo

Bombers looking good, reserves also won by 90 points with licka kicking 8, he will add so much if he can stay fit and get back in the senior side... now if we beat freo than hirdy has definitely fixed our road record...

And to the fucking hero Essendon supporters that came over to the race and heckled the shit out of Melbourne players and fans, there is a special spot in hell waiting for you.

While watching on tv i was laughing my ass off because I thought it was Melbourne supporters doing that.

Shaneus

I sort of called what needed to be done in my last post. I saw glimpses that if we were able to put a bit more consistent pressure all over the ground on North we might be able to drag the game back and that's a bit of what happened. It reminded me a little of the Hawks game last week but this time I thought North looked more dangerous than Hawthorn did after the long break and we really struggled to get that leading goal.

The opening of the third was brilliant.
Oh, I was replying to Fisheyes (and the AFL not having a clue comment). I never disagreed with what you were saying... bang on, actually!

jambo

Pretty happy with Port at the moment, although the opening quarter of the GWS game isn't what we want. Better teams could've buried us from that point.

Also, what was with the open roof at Etihad for the North vs. Geelong game? Isn't the point of the roof to close it when it rains...?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty happy with Port at the moment, although the opening quarter of the GWS game isn't what we want. Better teams could've buried us from that point.

Also, what was with the open roof at Etihad for the North vs. Geelong game? Isn't the point of the roof to close it when it rains...?

They reckoned they checked the forecast before the game and there was only a low chance of rain so they kept it open. I think I've heard if they don't close it before the opening of the game they won't close it at all.

jambo

They reckoned they checked the forecast before the game and there was only a low chance of rain so they kept it open. I think I've heard if they don't close it before the opening of the game they won't close it at all.

I can definitely understand why they wouldn't want to close or open it with people in the ground, massive safety issue.

But It's a fucking roofed stadium, you close it for the game. Couple that with the awful surface and it's not the best ground to play at.

Shaneus

Loved how much Brad Scott chucked it about the rain. I know it was probably more of an issue as far as the light rain on such a hard ground, but fucking hell... suck it up, princess.

PS. Go Cats.

I was pumped after that first quarter... and then not so much. Pretty unhappy with the Giants performance, especially considering that they had almost a full strength side playing. They really need to learn how to defend a lead, obviously something they haven't had to do often yet. And Dean Brogan is getting too old for this shit.

Will be heading down to Canberra on Saturday to watch them against the Saints at Manuka, hoping for (but not expecting) a surprise win.

jambo

I don't think you can really call it after playing against Melbourne and Greater Western. This weekend is the real test, Adelaide Showdown.

Fantastic signs so far though, should be a cracker.

fisheyes

I don't think you can really call it after playing against Melbourne and Greater Western. This weekend is the real test, Adelaide Showdown.

Fantastic signs so far though, should be a cracker.

Hinkley's got them playing long and direct footy. Very few sideways or backwards kicks. Players are backing themselves. Our drafts and pick ups look strong - Monfries looks a better player than he was at the Bombers, Campbell Heath and Lewis Stevenson look like they could be some absolute bargain picks. Little Jakey Neade is 67kg of pure excitement. Hoff looks reinvigorated. Bobby Carlile doesn't look fat and disinterested. Even Cam O'Shea is looking better. I know you can't call it this early and against that kind of opposition, but we look to be on the right track. Beating Adelaide and Gold Coast the week after in Metricon are genuine possibilities at this point, and that would make us 4-0. And that would be awesome. I know its early, but I'm already much more excited about the Hinkley era than I was at any point in Primus' time.

Shaneus

That's good to read! Need more teams playing better footy than last year. Richmond (seemingly) pulling their socks up as well is a great thing to see. Confusingly, it's also great to see St. Kilda falling apart ;)

jambo

Hinkley's got them playing long and direct footy. Very few sideways or backwards kicks. Players are backing themselves. Our drafts and pick ups look strong - Monfries looks a better player than he was at the Bombers, Campbell Heath and Lewis Stevenson look like they could be some absolute bargain picks. Little Jakey Neade is 67kg of pure excitement. Hoff looks reinvigorated. Bobby Carlile doesn't look fat and disinterested. Even Cam O'Shea is looking better. I know you can't call it this early and against that kind of opposition, but we look to be on the right track. Beating Adelaide and Gold Coast the week after in Metricon are genuine possibilities at this point, and that would make us 4-0. And that would be awesome. I know its early, but I'm already much more excited about the Hinkley era than I was at any point in Primus' time.

Monfries was definitely a great pick up, his first game was amazing and he played well against Greater Western, even if he didn't score.

Neade + Wingard in the third quarter against Greater Western was just amazing, that looks like an amazing combination up forward.

Westhoff looked great, but he's really going to need to be consistent to impress me. Too many times before he's had a great match or two and then done nothing the next week.

We're definitely looking better, much more direct footy, with less handballing and more direct kicking to uncontested marks.

I suppose I just don't want to get too excited and then have it all go wrong...

DaMan121

I guess Essendon are trying to make it up to Melbourne this week for putting them in the media pressure cooker.

I don't think Essendon will deny anything Danks claims the players have took, all technically legal. I do think Hird will claim ignorance on the hexarelin though. Either way, doesn't look good for the coaching staff that took anything really. Ofcourse even if he did it wasn't illegal at the time he took them.

Top Bottom