• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Shaneus

Geelong had no right winning that. Looked really sloppy the whole game except the opening few mins of each quarter. Managed to snatch that 9 pointer from nowhere.
Geelong has every right winning everything.

What happened? I didn't see (or know about, for that matter) anything.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/nab-cup/2013/1/wce-v-geel

Nothing controversial or anything just though West Coast got the better of us most of the game. We had our moments early on each quarter but they had most of the answers the rest.

They kicked out to 21 pts early in the second, controlling much of the play. We somehow managed to get a couple goals, 30 secs left Jimmy takes a mark in the 50 (we're 7 pts down) looks back towards the 50 to several players putting their hands up. He handballs to Selwood and just squeezes a kick in from 50 and sinks the 9 pointer.

There's a replay on the afl site.

I'm not complaining, just surprised we stole it.

Shaneus

Oh, you're a Geelong follower. We're gonna get along just fine then!

But come to think of it, have we won that many games over the last 12 months where (honest) supporters have thought "Christ, we probably shouldn't have won that"?

jambo

WE'RE THE PRIDE OF SOUTH AUS-TRAAAAALIA

sBi6unK.gif

10,000 Giants Members!

Pretty impressive, considering we only had 10,246 members in total last season and 4,671 at the same time last year.

Also happy to hear that Patton, Tyson and Hoskin-Elliot should all be re-signed soon.

Can't wait for NAB Cup on Sunday! :)

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight should be interesting to try and gauge the improvement, if any, that Melbourne will make this year. Also interested to see what Richmond can do as well.

Edit: Apparently Hogan impressed a lot of people in the first game, I missed it so I can't pass judgement. Couch looked alright also. Richmond had it easy in the second game but just couldn't capatalise enough to really bury Melbourne.

Jebus

The Richmond Vs North game was fantastic viewing, fast, skilled and high scoring. Things you don't often associate with preseason games. I have a feeling these two sides are going to have a lot of fierce battles in the next few years.
I wouldn't be a true North fan if I didn't mention Majak either, that goal was damn entertaining but he also had some great tap work. The other pleasing thing was our more inexperienced/new players showed some great potential, especially Currie, Jacobs, Gysberts, Black. So happy to have footy back.

Melbourne fans must be really excited for Hogan to debut in 2014, looks the goods.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
The Richmond Vs North game was fantastic viewing, fast, skilled and high scoring. Things you don't often associate with preseason games. I have a feeling these two sides are going to have a lot of fierce battles in the next few years.
I wouldn't be a true North fan if I didn't mention Majak either, that goal was damn entertaining but he also had some great tap work. The other pleasing thing was our more inexperienced/new players showed some great potential, especially Currie, Jacobs, Gysberts, Black. So happy to have footy back.

Melbourne fans must be really excited for Hogan to debut in 2014, looks the goods.

I was really hoping that Geelong would land Gysberts when he was being linked with us during the draft build up.

A couple of years ago he seemed to be getting in Melbourne's best nearly every week for a pretty long stretch and he had some pretty big wraps about him at the time but then last year he disappeared due to injuries and fitness concerns. I thought with a change of scenery and some renewed vigor he could become a pretty good player for whichever team picked him up.

Once we got Caddy I was so bummed to hear we had given up on Gysberts. I think you've got a pretty good kid there.

Jebus

but then last year he disappeared due to injuries and fitness concerns.

Ahhhh that's what it was. I was wondering what happened there at Melbourne and why I hadn't heard much about him before he joined North. Hopefully that stuff is behind him now.

Great work by the big guy with that don't argue and goal. Look forward to seeing him play in the future.

Missed the footy last night but what an awesome bit of work by Daw. Freddy Fittler would be proud of those steps!

Will have to try and catch the replays today.

Dead Man

Damn, he don't take no guff.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I watched all games tonight. Hawthorn didn't even look that interested so the games weren't of the highest quality, though I thought GC played pretty well (in their first game, not so much the second).
From his first spoil on Franklin I was impressed with Rory Thompson all night. I hadn't heard of him until tonight, looks like a solid kid.

Also happy that ex-cat Simpkin impressed in the 2nd game for the Hawks. Hate that of all the teams he had to end up there but for his sake I'm glad to see him finding his place in the side.

Pretty happy with how the Giants played last night... Really should have won both games but some silly errors cost us dearly.

Swans obviously didn't give two shits about competing but all experience is good for us at this point.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Did no one watch the game last night? Hawks and Bulldogs. I thought it was fantastic. Hawks were much better than last week and I was impressed with how the Bulldogs played.
It felt like a fast flowing game, a lot of great moments and it really came down to the wire by the end.

The best thing about the game, besides Hawthorn losing again, was the rules didn't seem to get in the way this time. Thank god they got rid of that stupid out of bounds rule for this week.
I really like the new ruck rule as well, feels like it opens up the middle a lot more so you don't seem to get nearly as much congestion in the center.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Geelong showed a lot of promising signs today especially in the first quarter against Adelaide.
Admittedly the Crows looked atrocious for most of the game but we showed a lot of run and dash through our midfield and looked strong in defense which is all I wanted to see.

Glad to see Varcoe back in causing problems for the opposition, he makes such a difference with his ability to break the lines when he's playing well. We looked a bit scrappy at times but there's a lot to like about where we might be headed in the next couple of years.

maladroid

Marc Murphy is now captain of the Blues.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-13/murphy-to-captain-blues

Still not sure how I feel about this. With Judd talking about how the additional responsibilities had an effect on his game, I'm not sure how Murphy will go with it at the peak age of a footballer. I suppose he did a good enough job of it during his brief stint as acting captain last season. Was hoping Simpson would get it just for his beard, haha.

Do we have a tipping comp??

Seems interesting enough. Might have to follow a bit.

Would anyone mind giving me a really quick and dirty rundown of each team?

fisheyes

Seems interesting enough. Might have to follow a bit.

Would anyone mind giving me a really quick and dirty rundown of each team?

Sure!

The AFL Wikipedia page has a basic rundown of team names, locations, colours, premierships, etc.

But, basically...

The Sydney Swans won last year's premiership, Hawthorn Hawks were runners up. Both are expected to be right around the mark this year, with Hawthorn as the current premiership favourites. Adelaide Crows, Collingwood Magpies and West Coast Eagles all finished high last year and are expected to do so again (West Coast are second favourite for the premiership ATM).

The Geelong Cats are generally perceived as the best team of the last few years, and won premierships in 07, 09 and 11, but were eliminated in the first week of finals last year, so there is a fair bit of debate about how they will do this year. Most still expect them to finish top 8, since they should win almost all of their home games (they've only lost 2 or 3 games at home in the past 7 years or something ridiculous like that)

The Fremantle Dockers have never won a premiership, but got a new coach last year, won many of their latter games of last season, finished 6th, and would appear to be on the up. Personally I think they might just be a bit of a smokey for the Grand Final, but as anyone who has tipped against me would know, my judgement is pretty poor.

The Carlton Blues finished 10th last year, but now have a new, highly respected premiership coach in Mick Malthouse and are in the pre-season grand final this weekend. The pre-season grand final can sometimes be a great indicator of season form (Adelaide won it last year and went from bottom 4 in 2011 to just short of making the actual grand final in 2012) but can also be 'fools gold' (Carlton themselves won the pre-season premierships in 05 and 07, and ended those seasons dead last and second last, respectively), but at the moment many are expecting them to do well.

The Brisbane Lions, likewise, are in the pre-season grand final after finishing 13th last year, and most are expecting them to have a better year than last, but few seem to think they will make the finals.

The Richmond Tigers finished 12th last year, and have not made finals in over a decade. Last year they were pretty erratic - they beat top teams but lost to bottom ones. Lots of debate over where they will finish, general consensus is either just in or just out the Top 8. Probably 9th.

The Kangaroos are pretty much forgotten all the time, but finished top 8 last year, and seem to quite often slip under the radar. May do it again. Honestly, this is the team that most people seem to forget even exist, myself included.

The Essendon Bombers had a major controversy with drugs in the off season, and thus they are likely to be one of the more interesting team stories to follow this year. Were premiership favourites for the first half of 2012, but lost the majority of their latter half games and ultimately finished 11th, so who knows for this year?

The St Kilda Saints controversially lost their coach to Fremantle at the end of the 2011 season, and finished 9th last year, just missing the finals for the first time in quite a few years (including two grand final appearances and a slew of prelim appearances in this time). Personally I think they are in for a big drop this year, but the general consensus is they will be around the 6th-12th mark.

The Melbourne Demons, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide Power (my team, the best team in the world!) are generally considered to be in their 'rebuilding' stage and are expected to finish towards the bottom just as they did last year.

The Gold Coast Suns and the Greater Western Sydney Giants are the new 'expansion' teams, started in 2011 and last year respectively, and are teams full of the best new young players in the league, so they aren't expected to win more than a few games, but many believe that in a few years both (GWS especially) will be the dominant teams of the competition. As a neutral supporter, these would be the teams you could jump on now and likely ride the success of in a few years.

fisheyes

Double post, don't care.

Do we have a tipping comp??

Its about time we set one up. Nobody seems to be too fussed on where we host it, but two suggested footytips.com.au, and Galdun made a good point about potentially winning a Whopper, rather than the other options of winning nothing, so...

-----

AFL GAF TIPPING LEAGUE 2013
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/believe
Password, in honour of their premiership, is legend166

-----

Do we want to get a Fantasy league going too? If so, traditional dream team / supercoach, or the Fantasy draft stuff?

Double post, don't care.

Its about time we set one up. Nobody seems to be too fussed on where we host it, but two suggested footytips.com.au, and Galdun made a good point about potentially winning a Whopper, rather than the other options of winning nothing, so...

-----

-----

Do we want to get a Fantasy league going too? If so, traditional dream team / supercoach, or the Fantasy draft stuff?

I'm in.

maladroid

We didn't look very comfortable moving the ball at all tonight. Full credit to the Lions, though. Absolutely dominated the midfield.

Double post, don't care.

-----

-----

Thanks for setting this up, fisheyes! I can't say I'd pay enough attention to participate in the fantasy stuff. Will stick to the tipping.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget to do your tips tonight!

It's so hard to gauge form and that early on with only the NAB cup to rely on. You don't know if teams actually tried every game or if they were anywhere near full strength.
I'm tempted to pick Essendon but went the "safe" bet with Adelaide. The other game could go either way as well...

Shaneus

Sweet, I'm in with the tips as well! Love it that all the comps I enter use the same site, saves a hell of a lot of time.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm just hoping for a good season overall with finals to eclipse the year prior. However I will not deny that if the Blues manage to do some good this time around I'll be extremely happy.

Galdun

Neo Member
Thanks fisheyes!

Going to the crows/essendon game tonight, its supposed to be a sell out so the atmosphere should be pretty awesome. Very excited for footy to be back!

Ydahs

Footy tonight, yay!

... wait, we're in OT Community? Would've been nice if we had a spot in the main OT where we can get a little more exposure. Ah well.

Oh, and just joined the tipping competition.

edit: my picks are Essendon and Fremantle, though I'll probably change my tip to WCE.

fisheyes

I feel like this is really Freo's year. Top 4, maybe even a smokey for a grand final appearance.

I've been blatantly wrong so many times before though, especially about Freo.

I picked the Crows and Freo Heave Ho.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, Richmond. If they lose this, :lol.

Edit: So close. Yarran could have gotten a win had he sunk 1 or both of his two shots. Great tackle in Richmond's 50 to save the game.

Richmond were 42 pts up at one stage. 5.5 to 4 behinds in that last quarter.

Ydahs

Wow, what a match. Definitely felt Carlton should have gotten up, but they missed some very gettable shots in the last quarter.

fisheyes

I was saying this to the people I was watching the game with, but would there be a harder team to support than Richmond? They pull some good shit out of nowhere, but then so many times when they look to have something signed, sealed and delivered it so often they just fail. It must be brutal.

So good to have footy back, so keen for the Power game on Sunday.

Shaneus

I was saying this to the people I was watching the game with, but would there be a harder team to support than Richmond? They pull some good shit out of nowhere, but then so many times when they look to have something signed, sealed and delivered it so often they just fail. It must be brutal.

So good to have footy back, so keen for the Power game on Sunday.
There used to be a good cluster of around 10 people at my work, all in the same team, all barracking for Richmond. I don't think I've ever heard "Ah well" so many times repeated by so many people.

Galdun

Neo Member
Picked up Yarran as my last defender in supercoach draft.. would have loved him to slot at least one of those goals. Great game of footy for a neutral though!

Top Bottom