• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

The Pies have delisted Jolly. Sadness, but he can't even get on the park these days. Thanks for the service Jolls and hail the new king, Grundy!

jambo

Didak and Krakouer are gone as well. Didak wants to play on, could be a good fit for GWS, senior player with a tonne of experience.

Also, Worsfold was contacted by the Lions, but he wants to take a break from coaching for a while.

The Lions also contacted Neil Craig, so that might be who they're after now that Roos and Worsfold are out of the picture.

It's always sad to see players leave, retire or be delisted. But those blokes are definitely at the end of their careers (imo) and the club needs to move forward.

They will all be missed.

Other list changes:

Jordan Russell (good riddance) and rookies Ben Richmond and Michael Hartley are also delisted.

Rezbit

The headline on AFL.com.au was a bit much, PIES CHOP STARS! They barely got on the park this year. Jolly could probably get a run at Melbourne, Didak and Krakouer...not really sure who would take them, maybe GWS but culturally they're a bit shite. Russell is just a spud.

jambo

IoYdWsN.png

Friday September 13th
Geelong vs. Port Adelaide @ The MCG [2nd Semi Final]

Saturday September 14th
Sydney vs. Carlton @ ANZ Stadium [1st semi Final]

Week 2 Finals Teams

jambo

Being realistic this weekend

Geelong

Sydney

Would love to see the boys get over the line, but I don't think Geelong will lose two matches in a row.

Sydney should beat Carlton, unless they have another amazing second half come back.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm backing Geelong for tonight's game but really only as a supporter. I think there's every chance of a Port upset. They won't let us get away from them like the last two games. I'm going to miss the first half I think. :(

I'm also going for the Carlton upset again. Swans haven't looked great and Carlton look like they're desperate to play well for their spot in next year's side. Realistically Swans will win but I'm anticipating a tough fought game.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty poor effort from the Cats from what little I've seen. Christensen's late handball to Guthrie and those easy misses from normally reliable kicks summed it up for me. We won't be winning this.

legend166

Port looking very, very good in that first half. I expect Geelong to come back hard.

I'm not sure who I want to win really. I'm sick of Geelong, but the prospect of a Geelong/Hawthorn prelim is almost too good to pass up. And at the moment (since it looks like the Swannies have no hope) I'm very much in a 'anyone but Hawthorn' mindset. On that front, I think I'm gonna have to cheer for Geelong.

Shaneus

Pretty poor effort from the Cats from what little I've seen. Christensen's late handball to Guthrie and those easy misses from normally reliable kicks summed it up for me. We won't be winning this.
Fuck, forgot this was on (how?!). Don't think we will? Only
2 points[/url]. Having said that, I haven't seen how we've played so far. Hopefully we do the thing where we pick up in the last quarter rather than fall off. Tone of the Ch. 7 commentators make it sound like Geelong is picking up?

Shaneus

Fuck me, that was a good effort by Port. Even better by Hinkley in his first year, holy shit. Team to watch next year, no worries about that.

Geelong vs Hawthorn

Majority will try to play Hawthorn as the favourite and they should win, but we all know about Hawthorn fearing Geelong with the winning streak. This will be very interesting next week.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Phew, I'm glad I was wrong. Almost come out as a different side in the third from the shit I saw dished up in that second. Glad we pulled it off.

The umps won that for the Cats.
Two frees to Port in the second half

The only one that stood out as ridiculous was the Corey one in the goal square.

Shaneus

Geelong vs Hawthorn

Majority will try to play Hawthorn as the favourite and they should win, but we all know about Hawthorn fearing Geelong with the winning streak. This will be very interesting next week.
Bigger than the grand final, guaranteed. Fremantle are assured of making the GF, which is a shame because I fucking despise Lyon's style of footy.

The umps won that for the Cats.
Two frees to Port in the second half
Ahahahahaha. Salty.

AxeMan

Phew, I'm glad I was wrong. Almost come out as a different side in the third from the shit I saw dished up in that second. Glad we pulled it off.

The only one that stood out as ridiculous was the Corey one in the goal square.

I was talking about Frees For Port, not Frees Against.

Bigger than the grand final, guaranteed. Fremantle are assured of making the GF, which is a shame because I fucking despise Lyon's style of footy.

Ahahahahaha. Salty.

:) Nah. Any team deserves more than 2 frees in a half of football.

I'm not denying that I'd rather play Port next week than the Cats but if we're any chop we'll beat them next week,

Port were great tonight except for the third quarter. They should hold their heads up high after a great season. Good win by the Cats but they don't look like they'll get over the Hawks next week. Then again, the curse. Surely the Hawks will break it next week.

Shaneus

Port were great tonight except for the third quarter. They should hold their heads up high after a great season. Good win by the Cats but they don't look like they'll get over the Hawks next week. Then again, the curse. Surely the Hawks will break it next week.
I bet they don't.

fisheyes

I don't want to be that guy, but there were some shocking free decisions last night, either in terms of frees paid (that Geelong one in the goalsquare) or frees not paid (there was a sequence in the middle of the ground where Geelong could've been pinged for holding the ball 3 times, then it went to the Port player, he did the same thing, and was immediately done). Don't think it was the difference in the end, Geelong were always going to be a class above, but man, some of them hurt.

Fantastic season by the boys though. As Kochie said various times this week, we're the third youngest side in the comp... give us a few years and we will be a force.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty big momentum switch once Tippett and Mitchell went down.

Edit: McVeigh, 20 possessions in a quarter?

Yeah he has been holding out all year. Sort of expected. But it's weird, he's not a free agent so he has to be traded or drafted. So he's not guaranteed to get the money he wants (if he is only leaving due to money)

Rezbit

Who would take him? GWS? Someone with enough money to pay what he wants and also for a full-time minder because he is a giant man-child.

jambo

Port delisted 7 players, including Matt Thomas, who I rather liked. He only played a handful of games this year though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-16/seven-cut-from-port-adelaides-list

HARD nut midfielder Matt Thomas has been delisted by Port Adelaide, along with key forwards Daniel Stewart and Nick Salter as well as defender Nathan Blee.

They are four of seven changes to the club's squad, with rookies Justin Hoskin, Darren Pfeiffer and John Butcher's brother Danny also delisted.

Brett Ebert announced his retirement earlier in the season.

fisheyes

Port delisted 7 players, including Matt Thomas, who I rather liked. He only played a handful of games this year though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-16/seven-cut-from-port-adelaides-list

The Thomas decision is best for all parties, I think. He hasn't got the sharpest of skills, but goes in hard and gives his all, and that could prove invaluable to many teams. Unfortunately we already have players like that (Logan, Cassisi) that I would back in before him, but he'll be picked up by another team and probably do reasonably well for them.

Stewart was a good SANFL key forward but a pretty lousy AFL one, but if a club wants to take a punt, a change of scenery might be what he needs. Blee wasn't too bad, but we have heaps of his type, and he'd probably be behind all of them. Both could be a chance of going somewhere else. Other ones had potential, but never really lived up to it, or were triers that gave it all but lacked skill, and I'd say their AFL careers are over.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So today's the day. Geelong v Hawthorn. I'm not nervous but I'm sure the nerves will be shot leading up to the game. Once again I'll miss the first half. :( I just hope when I go to check the scores they're close or the Cats are comfortably in front (wishful thinking) so I have something to cheer about when I start watching.
Hearing how the Hawks went that extra step to prepare will make it interesting to see just how different they play. Could be a blowout if they have their heads screwed on this time.

Freo will probably take the other pretty easily imo. If Geelong lose I'll be rooting for Freo for the flag.

As a West Coast fan this is a real average situation....

Can't have Freo do well lol, but also can't have any Victorians do well.... hmm

I guess Geelong or Sydney..

Hawks and Freo to win this weekend. I think the Hawks vs Cats game will break open after half time like the Swans Hawks game did. Freo should win in a close one.

Can't wait for tonight's game though.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Stevie J's keeping us in it. The comeback was a little worrying. Looked like Hawks did it too easily.

This is too much, if Hawthorn kicked straighter we would be more confident going into the second half. Geelong seemed like they were getting tired, hopefully Hawthorn can turn the screws on them on the second half.

I fear that these missed shots by Hawthorn will cost them victory.

Top Bottom