• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2013 |OT| See the Bombers Shoot Up, Up

Yagharek

Short answer: They didn't get the AFL in trouble

That's pretty much it. Appearances are everything.

However, people who called Essendon drug cheats this year should probably sit back and acknowledge there is a 67% chance their own club did the same.

AxeMan

I labelled Essendon drug cheats, still do.

I love me a good booing of Watson too. West Coast style.

:)

I don't think all 12 clubs have crossed the line into illegal substances. Have some? Possibly. With Essendon the evidence is pretty substantial

Just the same as Buddy and Swan being able to 'sit out rounds' instead of serving suspensions.
AFL is all about image and reputation because it makes them money
Extends into the image of game into Sydney and Brisbane.
Sydney having COLA and now their interference into Brisbane's board woes (not publically or course)

Dodgy

Yagharek

I don't think all 12 clubs have crossed the line into illegal substances. Have some? Possibly. With Essendon the evidence is pretty substantial

Essendon have so far been pinged for 'governance failures', a key element of which was not being able to document who took what, when, and how much.

11 other clubs have the same problem according to today's news.

I notice hypocrites have gone to ground.

Just the same as Buddy and Swan being able to 'sit out rounds' instead of serving suspensions.
AFL is all about image and reputation because it makes them money
Extends into the image of game into Sydney and Brisbane.
Sydney having COLA and now their interference into Brisbane's board woes (not publically or course)
Dodgy

With respect to Swan, Cousins and Franklin, I do think illicit drugs need to be treated differently to PEDs, but the fact that it was kept so quiet does suggest there is more PR going on rather than actually making sure players' health is looked after.

Sydney's COLA is a rort, plain and simple. It's not about being an expensive city, it's purely about making inroads into a market with a strong competition in the form of the NRL, and the easy way to make money there is to make a successful team. Equal playing fields be damned.

Brisbane is undergoing karma for their own rorting 10 years ago.

AxeMan

It was a lot more than 'governance issues' with Essendon.
Lots of records and exchanges of illegal substances being bandied about. The Crime Commission are involved as well.

You may have been done for lack for governance but other clubs aren't being highlighted in criminal investigations.

Agree on the COLA.
I see Brisbane's success as karma for Fitzroy. AFL screwed them over. Notice the AFL took away Brisbane's allowance after they won their premierships as well.

Yagharek

It was a lot more than 'governance issues' with Essendon.

As far as what they have actually been charged with and sanctioned over to date, it is.

Obviously the story has more chapters to come. But their "disrepute" charges stem from governance issues and not from any drug taking which is still yet to be finalised.

AxeMan

Yep. And I acknowledged that.

You've been charged with what can be proven at this point with a huge question mark that will possibly never be answered.
That's why you've been done and the other clubs haven't.

The AFL would like to be able to say 1 way or another that you've done illegal drugs or not; but they can't.
They had to do something though, so you got done for 'governance'

Yagharek

Fair enough, until more evidence I guess.

I do look forward to the details of other clubs coming to light some day, although I assume there will be a lid kept on it for appearances' sake.

Not even the best hawthorn goal of 2013, and somebody didn't watch gc vs geelong.

In the context of the game and the fact that Smith is not the most reliable when taking set shots at goal it was hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I do think the Franklin goal against Collingwood was Hawthorns best of the year (good team setup and execution).

Ablett does that kind of thing weekly so he pretty much has IDDQD - GOD MODE enabled all the time lol.

Westlo

I like the look of the Essendon side for 2014, age when next season starts in brackets. A lot of players are getting to that age and amount of games played where they can take it to the next level.

Baguley (26) - Carlisle (22) - Fletcher (38)
Dempsey (26) - Hooker (25) - Hibberd (24)
Goddard (28) - Watson (29) - Stanton (27)
Zaharakis (24) - Hurley (23) - Chapman (32)
Kommer (23) - Ryder (26) - Winderlich (29)
Bellchamers (24) - Hepell (21) - Hocking (26)
Melksham (22) - Myers (24) - Howlett (25)
Merrett (21)

Got Pears, Hardingham (could play forward too, might need to this season) and Van Unen as backups down back.
Daniher hopefully comes through late this year if not 2015.
Browne, Dalgleish, Colyer, O'Brien, Edwards, Kavanagh, Edwards and Hams on the come up too, I'm hoping 2014 is Kav's break out year... he was top ten talent in the 2011 draft. I would want him to go past a few players on the side I listed when the year is over.

Also thank fuck we got hit in the next two drafts... if we couldn't F/S Daniher last year or Tom Wallis (Pendlebury like, the pick of the bunch coming through the next few years) in 2015 it would've been a tragedy. Might lose Long's kid next draft but all the wraps are on Wallis....

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Have they commented on the FS. Stuff yet?

As far as I was aware, the rule is you must use your next available pick, not your pick of the same round as the opposing team is wanting to bid?

Westlo

Next season is going to be corker, 13 sides with a legit shot @ making Top 8.

Hawks, Fremantle, Sydney
Geelong, Essendon, Port, North
Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide
Carlton, Gold Coast, West Coast.

Freo going to Freo, Hawks come back a bit, Sydney best 22 is dangerous but they lost most of their depth, they going to kill some sides but their bottom 6 players are going to cost them against Freo and Hawks. Geelong lost some good players and Hawkins back is going to be an ongoing issue. Essendon, Port, North and Richmond should improve, Adelaide forward line is going to be deadly if Walker comes back anywhere near he was prior to his injury. Collingwood and Carlton are massive wildcards for differing reasons, could this be the year of the Suns? And West Coast might get that Sanderson/Hinkley boost with Simpson....

Have they commented on the FS. Stuff yet?

As far as I was aware, the rule is you must use your next available pick, not your pick of the same round as the opposing team is wanting to bid?

All I know is that we can't use Pick 19 (the one we really fought for) in the 2014 draft for F/S purposes. A lot of split discussion on if we could use our round 3 pick on say Long if he turns out a gun and someone wanted to use their first round pick on him.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can only imagine the bloodbath that would of occured if it was 2020 and we couldn't pick Thomas Hird.

AxeMan

I just finished watching the GF for the first time since the day.

I didn't notice how good Rioli was. He was constantly doing a little handball or tap on, he was close to BOG for mine on a re-watch

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are in your offseason too, right?

I need something to take my mind off the NFL after it broke my heart...

Yeah, no footy until early Feb. Early March for season proper. Most Aussies are in cricket mode right now, or at least I am.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
NAB starts tomorrow. One game every day. Anyone else interested in seeing how their club is shaping up for the year?
I'm just hoping to see if our new kids show any promise.

This time of year I like to see the kids getting a run and hoping the new players to the club bust their guts to prove their worth.

For the Pies this year that means Jesse White, Taylor Adams, Tim Broomhead and Nathan Freeman.

fisheyes

Sorry boys and girls, I've actually moved to London at the moment, so if somebody more up with what's going on wants to whip up the 2014 OP, be my guest. Otherwise I could try and whip something up over the weekend maybe, but it won't be super flash.

In a related note, does anyone know the best way to watch the footy abroad? Eurosports over here apparently plays only 1 game a week, which I assume will be the Friday game, which seems to be a glut of collingwood, Carlton and kangaroos games (fair enough, considering they finished above Port.... Oh wait)

fisheyes

Yeah just managed to find that one. AU$120 for a season I guess isn't too bad, but I'd really prefer something cheaper. Will see how the NAB cup goes and go from there.

jambo

The local one is $90 a year and I'm probably going to get it. We cancelled our Foxtel to help save money, $100 a month mainly for sports.

$1,200 vs. $90

Hmm, let me think...

Top Bottom