• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT| Kevin Sheedy 2.0 [RIP John McCarthy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I thoroughly enjoyed last nights game. The quality of the football being played was outstanding, from Hawthorn especially. I was hugely impressed by how much they've seemed to have improved. They're the benchmark of the competition for sure.

Edit: My dad's going to be pissed. Looks like a another pathetic year for Melbourne.

zenbot

My wife commented this morning, "I wonder if the Lions will start winning now that you've left?" The answer is yes. What a great start to the season.

maladroid

Bloody good games tonight and last night.

edit: Didn't even realise about the Essendon-North match. Shame I've only got free-to-air. Wonder how that was.

It's what makes it painful to watch the first quarter and last quarter. If we had someone like Riewoldt, I wouldn't have to grind my teeth at every single gift of a mark/penalty knowing that 50% of the time it is going to be a behind.
Yeah, it's a bit of shame we can't convert (or convert better, rather) all those chances we're able to generate. Maybe we should ask Geelong or Fremantle's shooting coaches for some advice. First quarter was clean as.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing game tonight between Geelong and Freo. Didn't give Geelong much of a chance of winning so I was really impressed how competitive we were.
Pissed off by the end when Lonergan gave a free kick away with 20 secs left, thought we had a slight chance of pulling off an unlikely last second win had we gotten a mark or free kick from a return kick into 50.
Scarlett looks like he won't be playing much in his last season, smh...
Incredible game though, both teams were outstanding. Great opening round of games so far.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
yay crows! wow at freo beating geelong, seems like the cats may be having a downturn this year

I'm expecting Freo to be up and about this year with a new coach, they have the talent there to really push for a strong finals spot and I think many are expecting them too. Plus Freo in perth in round 1 is a tough ask for most teams, it's not the bottom rung Freo of years passed.

I was expecting Geelong to struggle a little this year given our fixture seems fairly tough (we have Hawthorn next week...) and we have to come down some time. But after that performance tonight I feel we'll still be a significant part of September.

Good to see Adelaide still doing well, round 3 will be interesting.

Jezabel

Nail biting stuff watching the bombers. Heath hockings injury really screwed us up. Lucky Macintosh had a terrible after the siren shot

Jebus

Nail biting stuff watching the bombers. Heath hockings injury really screwed us up. Lucky Macintosh had a terrible after the siren shot

I wouldn't quite call it a terrible shot, some of the players thought it was going through and it just drifted across the face. We lost it long before that shot though. You guys smashed us at the stoppages for the last 3 qtrs and we should have never gotten as close as we did to snatching it.
We missed the hell out of Ziebell's game, but we should have been able to cover his absence and we failed to do that. Cunnington also needs to start stepping up and responding to the speed of AFL, too many times he gets caught with the ball. All in all a great game to watch and I think there's little doubt both Essendon and North will be fighting it out for top 8 spots.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
took me 5 minutes to realise this was the AFL thread not the IPL thread ;_; damn lack of s on bomber

Ydahs

Good performance by the Saints yesterday. I know we were only playing the Suns, but I felt that we did little wrong most of the day.

Also, today's match was great. If Buddy and Roughead didn't miss those two early shots in the final quarter, they would have gotten up.

jambo

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with this thread, RL keeps popping up.

I've created an AusGAF Tipping Comp on the afl.com.au tipping site

The code to access it is RYCC2YUH4D

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry that I haven't been keeping up with this thread, RL keeps popping up.

I've created an AusGAF Tipping Comp on the afl.com.au tipping site

The code to access it is RYCC2YUH4D

I've signed up, I'll put my tips in when they put up the sides.

maladroid

Will everybody in that comp be starting from this round? I've been doing tipping since the start of the season, but on some other site. :\

jambo

Will everybody in that comp be starting from this round? I've been doing tipping since the start of the season, but on some other site. :\

If it comes down to the wire at the end of the year and someone has an advantage then we can work it out then.

maladroid

Just joined. Most people seem to be on the same thing. I don't think it'll matter (for me at least). Terrible at tipping, haha.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Someone put a homing target on Carlton's middle sticks? 7-1 in the 1st quarter, Betts on 3-1 and that behind was a clear cut chance that he messed up slightly.

maladroid

The margin's only two points less than what it was at quarter time but gosh that 2nd was stressful.

Betts did stuff up that chance, but he made up for it about a minute later, haha.

Who was that collingwood player who went for the bicycle kick near the goal square at the end of the first? :lol

jambo

Wow, Carlton flew out of the gates! I tipped the Pies by 15, it could still happen, but Carlton's early lead sure is a nice buffer.

maladroid

boothisman.gif

I find it odd that betting odds have us as favourites. Hopefully we can hold on.

Carazzo's been a gun, and Armfield, too (just for his hobbling defence, lol).

Edit: Garlett!!!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Demolition. Where did the mental strength of Collingwood go to? Was apprehensive throughout the 2nd quarter but the last half of the match was incredible.

Judd shoots it straight - "That's the nature of the game and the media; 4 weeks ago Carlton was in a crisis, and now 4 weeks later Carlton are flag favourites. We just have to take each game in its stride."

maladroid

Yeah, last week they blitzed the 3rd. I'm sure they'll be better when some more of their players come back, but it mustn't feel good being Bucks at the moment.

Anyway, 10 goals! Carn the Blues.

maladroid

Apparently equal with Hawthorn at 4.50? It was nice the team prove themselves against a previous top 4 side, but 3 games in, I wouldn't hold much stock in it.

tralfazz

Any way to watch this in the US? I got into in last year on the xbox espn3 app but it looks like espn aren't covering it this year?

Ydahs

Great night of footy.

Saints put in one of the most dominant performances of the year and the Suns nearly cause one of the upsets of the past couples of years.

Congrats to Dustin Fletcher on his 350th. Don't know how he keeps on going, but he does!

Jebus

Today's Facts

1. Ablett is the greatest midfielder I've ever seen play the game. He was magical tonight and I'm hearing that it's his 3rd game in a row of over 40 possessions?
2. Carmichael Hunt was actually very good tonight and will be a good player for the Suns.
3. Essendon had a few extra players with umpire uniforms on in that last qtr. Absolutely shocking decisions.

4. North Melbourne are going to beat the Cats tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom