• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•04-06•16 - Strange Doctor trolls (ex-)Spider-man

Status
Not open for further replies.
They made him an asshole and he should be one but they didn't make him funny so he wouldn't be just another tony stark but it just makes him unsympathetic.

Regardless, this is the first time I've seen a Marvel character in a movie act very different from their comic book version, who is mostly very self-serious about his mystic work. But maybe this is his growing phase since it was an origin movie.

Sean C

Regardless, this is the first time I've seen a Marvel character in a movie act very different from their comic book version
Confining oneself to protagonists, that would be Guardians of the Galaxy, surely? And though it's largely forgotten now, Tony Stark was not a Robert Downey Jr. quip machine prior to 2008.

I was surprised by how great his American accent was. Left the theater not even thinking it wasn't his natural voice. I really appreciate his decision to do that too, really adds to putting his stamp on the character.
He does a Boston accent in Black Mass better than most American actors.
you mean like they did w/ Zoolander 2? ;P

i think this is just another case of peeps underestimating GP's interest in Marvel's stuff, especially the 'lesser known' heroes.
Zoolander 2 is nowhere near comparable since he was just a cameo and most people knew that movie was a BS sequel.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Trolls - $150M
Inferno - $185M
The Accountant - $109M
Jack Reacher - $112M
Storks - $168M
The Girl on the Train - $141M
Sully - $185M
Ouija 2 - $64M

The international gross for Miss Peregrine's hasn't been updated yet, but it is now Tim Burton's 6th biggest film (after Alice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Two Batman films, and Planet of the Apes) at $250M+ worldwide.

Slayven

I'm not sure about that. Marvel films always succeed but I think Cumberbatch certainly played a role. He has a large worldwide fanbase.

But do they show up for his none genre films?

Confining oneself to protagonists, that would be Guardians of the Galaxy, surely? And though it's largely forgotten now, Tony Stark was not a Robert Downey Jr. quip machine prior to 2008.

Wait what?

Tony stark has always been an asshole with a smart mouth.

Tony Stark still maintained his massive ego complex and cynicism, which Strange acts in the beginning and then he just transitions into being a standard Marvel crowd pleaser, which is fine but like the formula is showing it's wares.

kswiston

Disney broke $6B worldwide (currently around $6.07B) YTD for the first time in company history this weekend. The current worldwide studio record was set last year by Universal at $6.9B. Disney will easily beat that this year, becoming the first studio past $7B (and probably the first studio over $7.5B).

Schlorgan

Doc Strange stats:

WW gross: $325M

Top International territories: China ($44M), South Korea ($30M), UK ($18M), Russia ($15M)

IMAX: $12.2M domestic / $24.2M WW

Audience: 58% male, 67% over 25

Cinemascore: A

That might be one of the strongest WW openings of the year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't see why one is surprised anymore about Marvel. Saying Strange is a lesser known IP and was a surprise because it's not Ironman(Who wasn't Spiderman). Doesn't take into consideration at all Marvel has been drilled into movies for the past 8 years with Disney's royal backing. It doesn't matter if the character is lesser known or not anymore, when you have the number one movie studio in the world pushing it, complete with it tying into the biggest movie universe of all time.

It really doesn't matter anymore who they pick.

S1kkZ

so, disney managed to make ant-man, guardians, dr strange and black panther (well, in civil war) work as major blockbusters. which is fucking crazy.

so what is the next big hurdle to overcome? black panthers film? the departure of hemsworth, evans and maybe downey? keeping people on board after phase 3 (maybe with a soft universe re-boot)?

DeathyBoy

Banned
so, disney managed to make ant-man, guardians, dr strange and black panther (well, in civil war) work as major blockbusters. which is fucking crazy.

so what is the next big hurdle to overcome? black panthers film? the departure of hemsworth, evans and maybe downey? keeping people on board after phase 3 (maybe with a soft universe re-boot)?

They'll hire Slayven, just tell him to find something obscure and give it a 200 million budget.

Making people care about the Inhumans.

Black Panther's film is not a hurdle to overcome if we're talking finances. That movie is guaranteed major bank at this point.

A post Hemsworth, evans, and downey universe will be an interesting challenge.

90%? Fucking 90%? For origin story with bad villain and jokes #13? Come on.

Yes, 90% of critics gave it an average of 6.9 to 7.0 score.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Making people care about the Inhumans.
Ramosnoodles+used+roll+picture+ramosnoodles+rolled+image+_10fb7da45b4e79cd7af4e707b03e17e7.jpg

90%? Fucking 90%? For origin story with bad villain and jokes #13? Come on.
Were there not enough trailers via e-mail conversation for you?

Black Panther's film is not a hurdle to overcome if we're talking finances. That movie is guaranteed major bank at this point.

Yep people left Civil War liking Panther a lot. I don't think there's anything to worry about on that one in terms of box office.

Honestly I don't see the potential for a single miss now in their current lineup in terms of box office. Maybe Captain Marvel? Even that though will likely do just fine

El Topo

For people that watched Dr. Strange, where does it rank against the rest of Marvel's films?

One of the best. Top 5. Not perfect, the usual Marvel problems for the most part, but enjoyable. I don't think I have a ranking ready though.

Honestly I don't see the potential for a single miss now in their current lineup in terms of box office. Maybe Captain Marvel? Even that though will likely do just fine

Captain Marvel will only fail if they fuck it up.

kswiston

Yep people left Civil War liking Panther a lot. I don't think there's anything to worry about on that one in terms of box office.

Did we get any rough numbers of how Luke Cage did on Netflix compared to Daredevil and Jessica Jones? I'm still curious to see how the international audience treats a blockbuster film with a predominantly black cast. The Fast and Furious films were pretty diverse, but we haven't seen anything on the scale of Black Panther AFAIK.

Did we get any rough numbers of how Luke Cage did on Netflix compared to Daredevil and Jessica Jones? I'm still curious to see how the international audience treats a blockbuster film with a predominantly black cast. The Fast and Furious films were pretty diverse, but we haven't seen anything on the scale of Black Panther AFAIK.

According to this business insider article, above Jessica Jones but below DD season 2.

Slayven

People know when they see that Marvel and Disney together they are getting a quality product and are more willing to get new shit a chance from them

I don' think it's going to matter. It's a big, budget blockbuster superhero action film that's attached to one of the biggest and revered brands in the industry.

BumRush

Did we get any rough numbers of how Luke Cage did on Netflix compared to Daredevil and Jessica Jones? I'm still curious to see how the international audience treats a blockbuster film with a predominantly black cast.

Maybe we could use Straight Outta Compton as a barometer (percentage wise)?

Compton made 80% of its money domestic

So glad to see Strange do well.

You know, as shit as the cartoons are, Avengers and Ultimate Spiderman has done a fantastic job at introducing the lesser-known heroes to kids, who'll then get excited for the movies. I know I've been hearing questions from kids wondering when White Tiger is going to get her movie.

Yes, a Rated R 30 million dollar musical biopic with no name actors in the leads, that incidentally became the highest grossing musical biopic of all time, is comparative to a Disney/Marvel PG-13 rated big budget, blockbuster, superhero action film filled with named actors.

Hey now, let's not go all overly optimistic on BP box office just yet. Marvel Studios and Disney may carry A LOT of weight and the MCU connection w/ a favorable appearance in Civil War bring a lot of good faith. But this is still a practically All Black movie, in a practically All Black setting, with an almost All Black cast.

I think Marketing and word-of-mouth is going to have to be AMAZING to push past some expected barriers, regardless of end quality of the product

I'm not saying it won't make good money, even great money, but it's not guaranteed "Marvel" money just yet..

For people that watched Dr. Strange, where does it rank against the rest of Marvel's films?

A:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War

B:

Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man
Thor
Doctor Strange
Avengers
Ant-Man

C:

Iron Man 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
The Incredible Hulk

D:

Iron Man 3
Thor: Dark World

kswiston

According to this business insider article, above Jessica Jones but below DD season 2.

That's good I guess. Daredevil is their lead series on Netflix (even if Cage S1 was much better than DD S2).

I don' think it's going to matter. It's a big, budget blockbuster superhero action film that's attached to one of the biggest and revered brands in the industry.

That's my hope. Having Black Panther in Civil War was a pretty brilliant proof of concept to a 150M or so theatre patrons too.

Compton deals with history/music that is pretty American-centric though. You could probably look at Walk the Line as the white cast counterpart, and even that was 64% domestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom