• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Race All-Stars Cast Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They blur faces don't they?
For some bystanders, sure. But like, the dude who gave his laptop to Luke and Marge or even the random airline staff. I wonder if they just have legal forms at the ready and ask people to sign them, and whether the teams have to sit there and wait until they do before they can leave.

suaveric

Oh weird, I want to say this is the first time they recycled a task from an international version of The Amazing Race (Australia in this case). Usually it's the other way around.

I think it's been a while since a team was knocked out by a flight. 99% of the time, they arrive in the country after the location opens, which happened here as well, but they only arrived 4 hours before opening this time. At that point, assuming they did the math, I can see not taking the risky connection.

And maybe this is the first time I thought about this... but I wonder what happens if they go to a travel agent who refuses to be on camera? Are they still allowed to get their tickets there, or do they need to find somewhere else? Or do they get the tickets and just not show it or fake it?
I know that if a follow car breaks down or something happens to the crew, the team is "penalized" by being forced to wait for them to fix their problems, but I never thought about how all this stuff is cleared. Maybe they get clearances before the race even starts and direct people to the right agents/stores/hotels.

This has to be how it's done. Racers always seem to end up at the same travel agents, not matter where they are. It has to be predetermined.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This has to be how it's done. Racers always seem to end up at the same travel agents, not matter where they are. It has to be predetermined.
Yeah, that's what I assume. I'm trying to remember if they show any staff whenever racers go to internet cafes to book their own tickets.

I think I'm at a point where I'd love to watch a version of the race from the perspective of the camera crew/production crew. It'd be more interesting than watching people yell at each other whenever the stress gets to them. lol

Well that was pretty anti-climatic. I mean if there wasn't that train ride, they might have caught up to everyone, maybe not.

For some bystanders, sure. But like, the dude who gave his laptop to Luke and Marge or even the random airline staff. I wonder if they just have legal forms at the ready and ask people to sign them, and whether the teams have to sit there and wait until they do before they can leave.

I think I heard from some interviews before, the cameramen take care of that. And apparently they are pretty good at it lol.

TheYanger

Yep, the 2 man crew (camera/sound) has the forms and idk the exact procedure, but they've talked about it on the dvds ands tuff before. I assume if at all possible if someone didn't want to sign releases they would edit them out if they could.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well that was pretty anti-climatic. I mean if there wasn't that train ride, they might have caught up to everyone, maybe not.

I think I heard from some interviews before, the cameramen take care of that. And apparently they are pretty good at it lol.

Yep, the 2 man crew (camera/sound) has the forms and idk the exact procedure, but they've talked about it on the dvds ands tuff before. I assume if at all possible if someone didn't want to sign releases they would edit them out if they could.

I wonder if they have to explain what the show is, or if they just convince locals to sign them because they might get to be on American TV. It sounds like a production nightmare anyway, but I suppose if a person says no, they can just edit around it if they have to.

That would explain why some travel arrangements can only be made at one specific travel agency, I imagine they want to keep teams/crew on a certain path in certain cities/countries for safety

TheYanger

Really the only times it would be random would be airline employees, helpful citizens, taxi drivers...I mean at the locations, for instance if they're in a bar like last week, I assume everyone has to sign one just to get in that night or whatnot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really the only times it would be random would be airline employees, helpful citizens, taxi drivers...I mean at the locations, for instance if they're in a bar like last week, I assume everyone has to sign one just to get in that night or whatnot.
Yeah, it's usually things like when they ask for directions and things that they can't plan for.

I'd be curious to see some of these interviews though. I know that they released S1 on DVD, but I don't know if they ever bothered with any other seasons.

RangersFan

Imagine the logistics of not having a linear path for the racers. It's actually really amazing what TAR producers and crew are able to do.

addik

You should read up online about that guy. He's a regular at RFF and Survivor Sucks, and he ended up having to connect through Malaysia the same time the teams passed by there. His story of how Margie/Luke missed that flight and could not get any other flights is actually pretty fun to read, and you really get to appreciate the work and logistics put behind the scenes.

Imagine the logistics of not having a linear path for the racers. It's actually really amazing what TAR producers and crew are able to do.

This season has been putting me down in terms of linearity. The legs are too linear and bunching has been weird. I miss the good old seasons where everyone can actually take any flights, and that made some good game changers. I remembered episodes back then where half of the time would be spent on airport drama. I guess that can't be done anymore now that everything is online, and now that the team has a tighter budget resolving in many of the production micro-managed.

You should read up online about that guy. He's a regular at RFF and Survivor Sucks, and he ended up having to connect through Malaysia the same time the teams passed by there. His story of how Margie/Luke missed that flight and could not get any other flights is actually pretty fun to read, and you really get to appreciate the work and logistics put behind the scenes.

This season has been putting me down in terms of linearity. The legs are too linear and bunching has been weird. I miss the good old seasons where everyone can actually take any flights, and that made some good game changers. I remembered episodes back then where half of the time would be spent on airport drama. I guess that can't be done anymore now that everything is online, and now that the team has a tighter budget resolving in many of the production micro-managed.
Gotta link to that post on RFF? Always interested in behind the scenes stuff.

Found it on RFF's site (it's one of the first few posts in the Episode 5 topic) and it was an extremely interesting read. There was a lot more insight into all the flight drama that we didn't see in the episode and it was pretty interesting to see that Margie/Luke could have been saved if that whole no email rule wasn't there for whatever reason.

From what I read on RFF (no idea how valid) it does seem that this season there were some cancelled/moved legs which seems to resulted to these quick and linear legs that we currently seen.

But yeah the bunching timing does seem pretty weird and the placement of the NEL too.

I'm afraid to view threads on that site lol

Found it lol

So how many of the "randoms" that help teams are actually fans of the show that figure out where they will be and intercept them?

addik

I'm afraid to view threads on that site lol

Found it lol

So how many of the "randoms" that help teams are actually fans of the show that figure out where they will be and intercept them?

Someone from Sucks was actually in China when they shot the first two legs there. Everyone conspired to take out the Cowboys and to put Brenchel, Team Kentucky, and Twinnies on Top 3 in China.

That did not work out so great. LOL.

Needless to say, the PBP of the leg as it happened was very fun to read and the thread was filled with people melting down.

From what I read on RFF (no idea how valid) it does seem that this season there were some cancelled/moved legs which seems to resulted to these quick and linear legs that we currently seen.

But yeah the bunching timing does seem pretty weird and the placement of the NEL too.

It kinda sucks, basically. I wanted them to delay the All-Stars season and just do it on the 25th season so that their original lineup could have raced. Apparently, many of the teams they originally invited had to turn down the offer because of prior engagements. It kinda sucks knowing that this is not really an "All-Stars" season, and just replacements for the original supposedly more "All-Stars" cast.

addik

Is Sucks another Amazing Race forum?

Who had to bail on the season beside Kentucky?

Survivor Sucks. It's pretty much a forum geared toward TV shows (particularly, Reality TV shows). It's much more of a flamebait forum then RFF is. I would not recommend visiting that site now though if you are avoiding spoilers. Most of the season's spoilers come from there.

According to MissCleo (very trustworthy source), these were the teams that were either cut or had to turn down the offer:

Brook & Claire, because Claire had "prior engagements"
Armani & Marcus, because Marcus was recently signed to a team
Snowboarders from S19 were also supposed to be in, but were also suddenly cut as well
Tim & Marie, turned down last minute (long story why)
James & Jaymes, cut last minute for David and Connor
Trey & Lexi, cut, no idea why, apparently was replaced by John and Jessica
Pam & Winnie, were cut as well, again no idea why.
Apparently, they were strongly considering a Brook & Mallory team. So you know what that meant for Mark & Bopper, specifically Bopper.
Ryan (of Ryan/Abbie) was also saying they would have been considered had he not broken up with Abbie, but I don't know how trustworthy he is.

Among the current racers, Margie/Luke, the Globetrotters, John/Jessica, David/Connor, and Mallory were not originally supposed to race. They were either last-minute replacements, or simply "finalists" according to MissCleo until they were sequestered.

In other words, combined with the teams that were cut and the legs that were replaced. I would have rather wanted that they delayed this season and make the actual All-Stars season more challenging with a better cast. The threepeaters, except for the Cowboys (though I am not a fan of them), have not actually delivered much in terms of this season, and I cannot believe they replaced many other teams who would have made this season more memorable.

It kinda sucks, basically. I wanted them to delay the All-Stars season and just do it on the 25th season so that their original lineup could have raced. Apparently, many of the teams they originally invited had to turn down the offer because of prior engagements. It kinda sucks knowing that this is not really an "All-Stars" season, and just replacements for the original supposedly more "All-Stars" cast.

Yeah, I found it pretty odd the 'All-Stars' season was the 24th instead of the 25th season. Just seemed like something you would want to do on a more grand anniversary of a season instead of the one just before it.

Seeing the list of cut/couldn't do it teams is pretty interesting. A
Brook & Mallory
team would have been a lot better than the Frankenstein team we got this season.

Survivor Sucks. It's pretty much a forum geared toward TV shows (particularly, Reality TV shows). It's much more of a flamebait forum then RFF is. I would not recommend visiting that site now though if you are avoiding spoilers. Most of the season's spoilers come from there.

According to MissCleo (very trustworthy source), these were the teams that were either cut or had to turn down the offer:

Snowboarders from S19 were also supposed to be in, but were also suddenly cut as well
Apparently, they were strongly considering a Brook & Mallory team. So you know what that meant for Mark & Bopper, specifically Bopper.
Ryan (of Ryan/Abbie) was also saying they would have been considered had he not broken up with Abbie, but I don't know how trustworthy he is.

Among the current racers, Margie/Luke, the Globetrotters, John/Jessica, David/Connor, and Mallory were not originally supposed to race. They were either last-minute replacements, or simply "finalists" according to MissCleo until they were sequestered.

In other words, combined with the teams that were cut and the legs that were replaced. I would have rather wanted that they delayed this season and make the actual All-Stars season more challenging with a better cast. The threepeaters, except for the Cowboys (though I am not a fan of them), have not actually delivered much in terms of this season, and I cannot believe they replaced many other teams who would have made this season more memorable.

I can't remember a bunch of those teams, I'd have to see pictures lol

I can't remember a bunch of those teams, I'd have to see pictures lol
- James and Jaymes were the Chippendales
- Snowboarders were the two God snowboarders who fucking rocked their season up til the leg they lost lol
- Trey and Lexi were the goth type kids I think?

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Shocked Dave and Connor weren't initially in the plans. I loved those two and the Achilles thing made it seem sucky that they couldn't finish. GlD they are there in the end.

Wut
Globetrotters weren't one of the first choices?
regardless if you like them or not they are one of the most memorable teams of the series. Though this season they haven't had much screentime.

Cowboys though are my all time favorites by a mile,
Rob and Amber are my 2nd favorite but its been so long since they have been on I don't really care to see them on this again(though on Survivor is a different story.)

- James and Jaymes were the Chippendales
- Snowboarders were the two God snowboarders who fucking rocked their season up til the leg they lost lol
- Trey and Lexi were the goth type kids I think?

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Shocked Dave and Connor weren't initially in the plans. I loved those two and the Achilles thing made it seem sucky that they couldn't finish. GlD they are there in the end.

No, Trey and Lexi were good racers but I can't remember anything memorable about them

I can't remember the Goths names

No, Trey and Lexi were good racers but I can't remember anything memorable about them

I can't remember the Goths names

I think Lexi was a cheerleader or something and Trey did something sports related so all I remember about them was that they it was a sports power couple team.

The goths were Kent and Vyxsin.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Survivor Sucks, which runs on the worst software ever, has someone become the defacto Amazing Race spoiler forum. It's where I found out about TAR: Vietnam (although unfortunately, I couldn't understand enough of it to actually watch it).

I love how people who live in the locations they visit will basically post race spoilers and scoops though. But I think most normals don't really care enough to look up what happens in each leg.

I think Lexi was a cheerleader or something and Trey did something sports related so all I remember about them was that they it was a sports power couple team.

The goths were Kent and Vyxsin.

LOL oh that's right. I would say "VYXSIIIIIIIIIN" to my fiance, not "LEXIIIIIII". I knew there was an X in there somewhere.

I just looked it up. Trey and Lexi were the Texas folks...
who worked with the Twinnies to steal Long Hair Don't Care's money!!! FUCK THOSE TWO!

Camwi

I really liked how chaotic this episode was, but that non-elimination sucked. Those two offer absolutely nothing entertaining to the show.

Strangely chaotic episode.

Surprised at the NEL already showing up again but I guess it didn't save a team that raced horribly this leg so I'm ok with it?

Jarrod38

pV9KVzG.gif

UberTag

Damn it, wanted Flight Time and Big Easy to lose. Wow Flight Time was a complete moron at the roadblock.
The Globetrotters are always morons when it comes to challenges that involve spelling or math. They completely fall apart unless someone gives them the answer or they take a penalty.

I'm a little surprised Jamal didn't leverage his position better and make a decision on which team he wanted to keep around more instead of simply getting a weak promise not to U-Turn which a team can easily break and go back on. I think I'd rather have John & Jessica around as a team to help me and with a clear reason to be loyal than useless Globetrotters who will continue being useless. Especially with Brenchel and the Cowboys continuing to be fierce and Dave & Connor and the Country Girls working together.

Oh wow, that ending. You could see the look on Leo and Jamal when they heard what place they were in.

Also not surprised that the Globetrotters didn't even tried to do the Roadblock.

Camwi

I don't care for the team that lost, and I do like the Globetrotters, but they should've been the ones to go home last night. Dude didn't even bother to read the friggin' clue.

RangersFan

Ugh, there goes all respect I had for Dave and Connor. What a self entitled bunch of whiny assholes. It was the right move for Brenchel, Brendon is a very smart level headed dude. I'm also shocked by how well the Afghanimals took the u-turn, Dave and Connor could learn a lot from them.

Also, FUCK YES, bye Globetrotters.

addik

God, Dave/Connor were so whiny. I hoped they would have been eliminated there and then.

Meh at the Globetrotters. Without Zev/Justin, they are particularly useless. What an awful waste of slot.
They should have given that slot to Pam/Winnie instead.
I knew from spoilers they were out by this leg, but I sort of still wished it would have been Dave/Connor.

Brenchel, despite coming off as ditzy and whiny at times, were never this condescending and righteous.

Camwi

Yeah, it's about time the Globetrotters were gone. They're just consistantly bad.

I'm also ready for Brendan and Rachel to go, though. "God told me to U-Turn Dave and Connor" Brenchal is far less amusing to me than "I thought Amazing Race was supposed to be FUN!" Brenchal.

I see Amazing Race has went back to the old style of the U-turn boards. I guess it was too expensive for touch screens, lol.

I guess to add to another thing for Dave and Connor to talk nothing about now is overcoming an U-turn. I really don't get why they are so whiny about Brenchel not giving them answers about stuff. It's a raceeeeeeeeeeeee.

At least the Globetrotters are out. No more not reading the clues and asking everyone else to do everything for them.

Italy looked amazing though.

UberTag

At least the Globetrotters are out. No more not reading the clues and asking everyone else to do everything for them.
It's amazing to me that a team with that philosophy was asked back to race not once but TWICE.
It would be the equivalent of Survivor asking Colton back for a 3rd time so he could quit again.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It baffles me how the country singers have made it this far, it seems like they're being carried all the way to the final four again.

UberTag

It baffles me how the country singers have made it this far, it seems like they're being carried all the way to the final four again.
The one thing I'll say about the country singers is that they're extremely savvy about making strong alliances with other teams on the race.
They didn't miss a beat without the Battaglias around to lend them a hand.

That's pretty much seems to be their strategy half the time.

There are times where they were half way decent in getting stuff done but they definitely seem to have fallen back on letting others help them.

Hell, half the teams seem to be doing that, working together to solve stuff and not raceeee which pretty much reminds me of the last time they did All-Stars which the exact same thing happened.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I must join the chorus. I liked Dave & Connor the first time around, but they're so whiny. It's a RACE to the pit stop, not 'be kind to the senior citizens' race. Brenchel got there first, and used the pit stop in order to extend their lead. I do have to say I miss Rachel and her constant meltdowns from the first time. She hasn't given me an iconic line like "Brendon, I AM VEGAS", or "Floaters grab a life vest", or "The Amazing Race is supposed to be good and fun" this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom