• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars Season 2 |OT| Let's Get All-Started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

iu8jVxd.png

YUrHNKs.png

Airs every Thursday night at 8/9c on Logo with simulcasts on VH1 and the LogoTV app.

A much better gift every four years than a leap day, RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars has returned for a second season of format fuckery and the return of everybody's favorite queens (and CoCo Montrese).

While Ross Matthews has been replaced with Toddrick Hall, the regular panel of judges consisting of RuPaul Charles, Michelle Visage, and Carson Kressley has returned for another season of rejoicing Santino's departure.

But wait! There's more! Doing away with the team structure of the first season of All Stars, AS2 sees the top two queens each week lip syncing for their legacy. The winner of the lip sync gets $10,000 AND the opportunity to eliminate one of the three bottom queens.

Friendships will be tested, wigs will be snatched, and somebody will get reparations for not winning when they probably should have.

KucSdUo.png

8IHMVbq.png

C'mon hog body! The quirky songstress from Azusa originally finished as a runner up in season 6.
eH2Nujf.png

Hieeeeeeeeeeeee. Although she finished as a runner up in season 5, Alaska is back to show off how she has refined everything from her drag persona, to her fashion, to her sense of humor.
4khAHtf.png

Alyssa "Backrolls" Edwards is back to make faces in the mirror, dance pretty well, and go home in the middle of the season, much like she did when she placed 6th in season 5.
Uu7S9fu.png

Kandy Ho must have been unavailable so the producers went with their second choice in CoCo Montrese. Hey, she came in 5th on season 5!
qqZEk9V.png

She's HAD it. Was Detox brought back to reunite Rolaskatox or to try and get her neon dream 80's fashion choices to propel her to the top? Detox originally finished just short at 4th place in season 5.
QtImWlE.png

The queen of glamour toads, Ginger Minj has returned to represent the Bitter Old Lady Brigade. She's still a little bitter about finishing as a runner up in season 7.
lgEZgOk.png

Yekaterina "Katya" Petrovna Zamolodchikova is here. With her random, improvisational comedy, fan-favorite Katya sailed to the top 5 of season 7 before being her premature elimination.
FFIKY8E.png

The tired-ass showgirl, Phi Phi O'Hara claims she has changed fundamentally from the person she was when she was a runner up in Season 4. As the only part of the top three that season thus far who has yet to win a crown, will Phi Phi manage to snatch a title or just prove to be great for drama.
30Bw5Di.png

Best known for wearing two wigs, Roxxxy finished in the top 3 of season 5 and much like Phi Phi was the least favorite of the 3.
U6xCYHO.png

The only queen returning from the pre-HD era (where is Ongina TBH), Tatianna's fishy looks and ability to cut a bitch with words took her all the way to top 4 in season 2. Have her skills improved enough in the interim to let her win the crown?

iXhKZAY.png

Official Website
Meet the Queens
Official Trailer

A HUGE thanks to Dandy Crocodile for being fishy to the fish and coming up with the graphics and descriptions!

fauxtrot

Banned
YESSSSSSSS! Can't wait to watch tonight.

Do we know how many episodes it'll be this time around? I assume 9 or 10, since they're not doing the pairings that bogged down All Stars 1.

Shizuka

I've read that there won't be an Untucked for this season, that'll be a huge loss for the fans of Untucked shade and tears.

Rayis

Not a huge fan of this challenge tbh, Alyssa, Roxxxy,Alaska, Tatianna, and Katya were the best

PhiPhi and Coco were yikes.....

They ripped Adore to shreds,, woah

Shizuka

Oh, Untucked is during the episode, that makes sense, since there's no "judges deliberation".

VISAGE RIPPED ADORE TO SHREDS, EVEN I FELT BAD.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This format is genius*. Ru has enough control to save his favorites and manipulate the outcomes, but the drama is not only intact but heightened. It's a mix of Survivor and Big Brother.

* On paper

Edit:

That twist. Hnnnnnnnng! Next episode?! Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

jorgeton

Thanks for the OT!

Great episode. Love the format. Maximum drama and emotions. Michelle was too much though. Trying too hard to be the Simon Cowell of the panel. Unnecessarily mean lol

I also love how untucked is now part of the main ep haha. Major improvement over all stars season 1.

Rayis

I'm really liking nice and impartial Roxxxy, she was very pleasant this first episode, Tatianna wanted to be messy.

Shizuka

Michelle wrecked Adore like no other contestant in this show's history. I never saw her go down like that, ever.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, I'm stanning
1. #TeamTati
2. #TeamAlaska
3. #TeamGinge

I'm really liking nice and impartial Roxxxy, she was very pleasant this first episode, Tatianna wanted to be messy.
Roxxxy and Phi Phi have one goal this season: repair their image. Sincerity is irrelevant.

kirblar

Important info - the show is simulcasting on VH1 this season as well. So if you have cable but don't get Logo, you can still watch live!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Important info - the show is simulcasting on VH1 this season as well. So if you have cable but don't get Logo, you can still watch live!
From the previous thread:

Something I realized very very late: if you click on "Watch Live" in the LogoTV phone app it will simply ask you to a pick a cable provider —without asking for credentials— then ask you to sign in with your facebook... And that's it. I picked Xfinity and started streaming the espode live.

I'm in the US and on Android. Has this always been the case?

kirblar

If you pick Verizon they ask for Verizon credentials. Interesting- do some of them not actually check because the providers don't have the infrastructure set up?

Shizuka

I like that Tati isn't trying to change rehabilitate her image, she embraces her attitude and persona.
I still think she should've won that lypsinc.

I like that Tati isn't trying to change rehabilitate her image, she embraces her attitude and persona.
I still think she should've won that lypsinc.

Sadly I knew by the way the camera focused on Roxxy it was going to be her :(

Faves: Alaska, Katya, Tatiana, Adore, Alyssa

Shit that's like half the cast, lol.

I'm very interested to see how the previous "villain" queens will be this season--have they really changed, or is the facade going to crack?

I'm very pleasantly surprised with Tati's evolution, she's only gotten better over time. She also looks mostly the same, just a bit older, which is really amazing considering how much some of the other queens change even one year later.

Elimination spoilers:

Bye Coco. Not sorry to see her go at all tbh, but I did feel sad for her.

B-Dex

The way Michelle Visage obliterated Adore. I mean yeah it's "All-Stars" but that doesn't mean mind fuck the contestant. Shameful.

Wasn't too bad of an episode. I had high expectations coming from season 8, which was exceptional.

Adore's talent act was
yawn inducing, poor choice of song and phoned in that performance. Wasn't feeling it at all.
. That being said, Michelle's critique was a little harsh, but it was accurate. You're going to get steamrolled this season if you rely solely on your voice.

Roxxxy and Tatianna looked absolutely stunning (as always!) and had more creative acts compared to the other queens. Rooting for the both of them to make it to top three. Katya is batshit crazy as ever, and I absolutely love it. Brings a much needed eccentric flare to the cast.

Tati for the win. She's always been one of my faves. (but she's obviously not gonna win unfortunately)

Love the new editing style. It feels less 'controlled' even if there were still shady moments (like Tati's entrance being underplayed and Phi Phi's commentary) but overall it's entertaining. Would've preferred Ross Matthews there as a judge though.

Monocle

This season's format is inspired. What a great twist.

So far I'm feeling everyone but Coco and Adore. And Ginger, I suppose, although she was fine in this episode. I'm so-so on Alyssa, too, just because I know what she's about and she doesn't speak to me like, say, Detox or Katya or Alaska do.

Alaska's effortless superiority is so clear. The only way I see her failing to make top 3 (and first place if we're being real) is by some freak occurrence that has nothing to do with her skills.

This whole "chance for revenge" thing makes me nervous. RPDR is rather consistent about eliminating the weaker queens early on. In the show's entire history, there's not one instance of the right queen getting a second chance. Max? Nope. Katya? Nope. It's always the average ones who come back to annoy everyone for an episode or two before being re-eliminated. The pattern is clear. I'd rather the show ditch this gimmick completely than keep disrupting the competition by bringing back queens who were rightfully sent away.

This whole "chance for revenge" thing makes me nervous. RPDR is rather consistent about eliminating the weaker queens early on. In the show's entire history, there's not one instance of the right queen getting a second chance. Max? Nope. Katya? Nope. It's always the average ones who come back to annoy everyone for an episode or two before being re-eliminated. The pattern is clear. I'd rather the show ditch this gimmick completely than keep disrupting the competition by bringing back queens who were rightfully eliminated.

I agree that Carmen and Kenya were poor choices to bring back, and if Coco is the only one to be able to get revenge it'll be annoying, but bringing Trixie back was the right choice.
Trixie absolutely deserved to go further than Kasha Davis, Fame, Max, and Kandy Ho.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This whole "chance for revenge" thing makes me nervous. RPDR is rather consistent about eliminating the weaker queens early on. In the show's entire history, there's not one instance of the right queen getting a second chance. Max? Nope. Katya? Nope. It's always the average ones who come back to annoy everyone for an episode or two before being re-eliminated. The pattern is clear. I'd rather the show ditch this gimmick completely than keep disrupting the competition by bringing back queens who were rightfully sent away.
I'm hoping that chance for revenge is some form of loser bracket head-to-heads. Something like Top Chefs "Second Chance Kitchen."

The eliminated queen every week lipsyncs against the winner of the previous week's winner of the "revenge lipsyncs." The queen that makes it to end gets reintroduced at the finale. Or maybe right before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom