• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Race All-Stars Cast Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Lame as ending with no mental task? Fuck I hate the US version of the show so hard now.

Eh it's always been like that intermittently. It's not like that's a sudden change,i t's just ALWAYS disappointing when it happens. How some seasons can have like "HOpe you brought a notebook writing down every detail of every task and greeter at every country" and then some of them can have "Count lightbulbs as you screw them in" is preposterous. How Dave and Connor were allowed to simply go 'oh well let's guess again' was even more absurd. The penalty for being wrong should have been to redo the entire god damn thing tbh.

RangersFan

Terrible ending, terrible winners. Dave and Connor just passed Dan and Jordan as my least favorite winners. The production intervention was written all over this. No mental challenge to win it? I think that's the first time ever. A lot of seasons were won purely on the mental challenge. This was first to get to the plane. Terrible final leg.

TheYanger

Terrible ending, terrible winners. Dave and Connor just passed Dan and Jordan as my least favorite winners. The production intervention was written all over this. No mental challenge to win it? I think that's the first time ever. A lot of seasons were won purely on the mental challenge. This was first to get to the plane. Terrible final leg.

DEfinitely not the first time. I'd say 1/3 of the seasons have really forgettable final legs like this with no effort involved. Always annoying.

Terrible boring leg and tasks, terrible winners for a terrible season.

Not to mention, its been toss to die on the Friday night slot, so looks like this bland Amazing Race might end now. With how bad the cast have been, might as well.

t-storm

Fridays used to be known as the graveyard slot but not anymore since networks have been finding ratings success with shows like Shark Tank and Kitchen Nightmares.

Kelpie

I was rooting for Rachel and Brendan to win up until the matador challenge. She really kicked up her whining in the last few episodes.

Lame as ending with no mental task? Fuck I hate the US version of the show so hard now.

Maybe they were trying to lower the chances of another winner like the goat farmers and their come from behind win due to that crazy flag challenge. I skipped last seasons finale so I don't know if there was a mental task in that one.

TheYanger

I was rooting for Rachel and Brendan to win up until the matador challenge. She really kicked up her whining in the last few episodes.

Maybe they were trying to lower the chances of another winner like the goat farmers and their come from behind win due to that crazy flag challenge. I skipped last seasons finale so I don't know if there was a mental task in that one.

No fuck that, the challenges with huge mental tasks are the absolute best. They're not rocket surgery most of the time, you just can't be balls out dumb.

suaveric

Yeah this last leg was pretty bland. I hate it when it all comes down to who gets the best cab. I feel like the Race had gotten better about this over the last 10 or so seasons, but I know that best-cab-wins has happened before.

As for the Race moving to Fridays, I don't think that's a death sentence. If the show can maintain the same ratings they pulled on Sunday nights, which were nothing to write home about, they'll be around for a long time.

UberTag

This was the perfect finale episode for this disaster of a season.
Dave didn't have to make up for his roadblock deficit. Both him and Connor traded off roadblocks tonight.
The Country Girls lucked their way (briefly) into 1st place for being pretty.
The Brenchels got screwed over thanks to a shit cab driver. Watching them squabble with each other is so not entertaining.
No mental task at the end so we could feel that the winners actually had to do something to deserve it... something even the much-maligned Family Edition had.
And the worst possible team won to cap off the worst season the show has ever had.

Thank goodness for The Amazing Race Canada this summer.

Fey

Banned
Um ... what? I just saw the episode and ... what?

That was such a shitty ass finale. The tasks were all pretty much just chores to get out of the way, instead of things that were intense/actually required thinking. Like, no task based on past legs?

This was just "who can get a good taxi driver?"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh it's always been like that intermittently. It's not like that's a sudden change,i t's just ALWAYS disappointing when it happens. How some seasons can have like "HOpe you brought a notebook writing down every detail of every task and greeter at every country" and then some of them can have "Count lightbulbs as you screw them in" is preposterous. How Dave and Connor were allowed to simply go 'oh well let's guess again' was even more absurd. The penalty for being wrong should have been to redo the entire god damn thing tbh.
I always appreciated the equalizer, since the race was never about racing anyway. I mean, I guess it was better than the pure sprints in the first couple of seasons, but after having the tasks for a while, as recently as the Canadian version last summer, it just seems silly to have such a bullshit task be the last real one.

It's either CBS giving up or CBS trying to build the show on a different night, depending on whether you are pessimistic or not.

So the equal roadblocks rule has been around for a loooong time, and was used last season as evidenced by "so and so MUST do this roadblock" clues near the end, and then magically, the season Mr. Whiny Oldpants Cancer-Achilles comes back it's suddenly not a rule anymore? Bullshit. Connor did 8 and Dave did 5. Bring on the Canadian version! That was soooooo much better than the crap the american one has become.

Edit: Phil just tweeted this: " no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1"

Sounds like bullshit to me.

ganon

Well, that was lame.....

Where's S3 of The Amazing Race Australia?? They're a lot better and tougher than this crap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's supposed to be later this year. They're calling it "NZ vs Australia", so I expect it to be hilariously terrible because of all the national rivalries they're going to try to play up.

ganon

It's supposed to be later this year. They're calling it "NZ vs Australia", so I expect it to be hilariously terrible because of all the national rivalries they're going to try to play up.

LOL. Last season of the Australia's version has a great "villain", and the challenges are actually pretty tough, so perhaps silly national rivalries could be more entertaining than some rubbish Accidental Alliance of waiting and helping each other every league.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOL. Last season of the Australia's version has a great "villain", and the challenges are actually pretty tough, so I hope at least silly national rivalries would be more entertaining than some rubbish Accidental Alliance of waiting and helping each other every league.

I'm expecting a lot of cliques and whatnot built right in. lol

Honestly though, I'm still waiting for AR to pull the ultimate twist - force teams to swap team members for the rest of the race. They already have that thing where they force two teams to work together. If they really want to fuck up the dynamics and create drama, that'd be the best way to do it.

(Of course, logistically, it'd probably never work, I know. :p)

vanty

Holy fuck apart from the hilarity of how bad things went for Brendon and Rachel and how scummy they were with their horrible sportsmanship that was an abomination of a finale. Absolutely zero skill required for anything, they might as well have just had the pitstop in the Vegas airport.

It's been a long time since the show was as good as TAR Australia season 2 was, I guess now I'll try and check out the Canadian version while waiting for the insanely delayed third Australian season.

J-Rod

I don't understand how anyone could root for brenchel. As if telling that cabby lady they want to have a baby does anything but make her hate them and her own miserable life even more. It's like Rache was begging for producer intervention to give then the win. But what else could you expect from a couple of people who have made a living by being awful and whiny on tv by fans who like to live their boring lives vicariously through them? Making z-list celebrities out of reality show contestants is why they make these shitty all star and cross show seasons in the first place.

It's either CBS giving up or CBS trying to build the show on a different night, depending on whether you are pessimistic or not.

Depends on how much CBS actually mentions this. If they bother letting people know, then it wouldn't seem as much of a death sentence.

Still sounds better than this season. Which reminds me I need to watch Australia S2 still.

I'm expecting a lot of cliques and whatnot built right in. lol

Honestly though, I'm still waiting for AR to pull the ultimate twist - force teams to swap team members for the rest of the race. They already have that thing where they force two teams to work together. If they really want to fuck up the dynamics and create drama, that'd be the best way to do it.

(Of course, logistically, it'd probably never work, I know. :p)

I think it was called the intersection and it was pretty terrible since almost every time it caused a leading team to get stuck waiting for a trailing team in order to proceed. And with all the carrying of teams and helping, they might as well throw that back in since we pretty much almost have it.

Was strange for a season finale—didn't feel like one. I kept having to remind myself someone was about to win, based only on the fact that they were in Vegas.

UberTag

So the equal roadblocks rule has been around for a loooong time, and was used last season as evidenced by "so and so MUST do this roadblock" clues near the end, and then magically, the season Mr. Whiny Oldpants Cancer-Achilles comes back it's suddenly not a rule anymore? Bullshit. Connor did 8 and Dave did 5. Bring on the Canadian version! That was soooooo much better than the crap the american one has become.

Edit: Phil just tweeted this: " no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1"

It's completely bullshit. Phil's covering up for production's intention to let Dave slide into the finals while running only 4 roadblocks up until that point.
We might as well start referring to this team as Zach & Flo II.
The Tims from Amazing Race Canada 1 (who each did 6 roadblocks) would have kicked their asses.

Stat!

Probably the worst finale, no mental task, three TERRIBLE teams, and some of the biggest egotistical team winning. Did anyone know that Dave was 60 years old? /sarcasm

Really hated the episode and this season.

This was also some of the fewest miles and countries ever.

I don't understand how anyone could root for brenchel. As if telling that cabby lady they want to have a baby does anything but make her hate them and her own miserable life even more. It's like Rache was begging for producer intervention to give then the win. But what else could you expect from a couple of people who have made a living by being awful and whiny on tv by fans who like to live their boring lives vicariously through them? Making z-list celebrities out of reality show contestants is why they make these shitty all star and cross show seasons in the first place.

I wanted them to win because I didn't want Team "Somehow sexist to their own gender, we're just girls, we can't do anything" winning and Team "We are better than everyone else" winning. I really hated those two teams towards the end. The Country Girls are simply stupid. They got by because of someone helping them early on when building something which they admitted they couldn't do because they were girls (lame excuse when you have other women competing with you doing the same task), then the pass from the Cowboys, and 2 non-elimination legs. Why they were made at the Brenchels? I have no idea.

Connor/Dave: Why U-Turn a 60 year old? We've never been to a bar so we aren't going to do this task because going to a bar is evil.

This season sucked. Anyways, onto the next one.

I wanted them to win because I didn't want Team "Somehow sexist to their own gender, we're just girls, we can't do anything" winning and Team "We are better than everyone else" winning. I really hated those two teams towards the end. The Country Girls are simply stupid. They got by because of someone helping them early on when building something which they admitted they couldn't do because they were girls (lame excuse when you have other women competing with you doing the same task), then the pass from the Cowboys, and 2 non-elimination legs. Why they were made at the Brenchels? I have no idea.

Connor/Dave: Why U-Turn a 60 year old? We've never been to a bar so we aren't going to do this task because going to a bar is evil.

This season sucked. Anyways, onto the next one.
Because Dave and Connor helped them throughout the race, and the Brenchels U-turned them.

I agree, it was a pretty lame last episode, but I wanted Dave and Connor to win from Day 1 so I'm not too upset.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Still, imagine the outrage if the Country Stars won? lol

I don't get why the US version is so terrible... especially when the other versions use the same rules. Is it really just the casting?

Still, imagine the outrage if the Country Stars won? lol

I don't get why the US version is so terrible... especially when the other versions use the same rules. Is it really just the casting?

If the Country Stars won, it would have been a perfect way to cap off this terrible season. And would still be better than the first All Stars winner.

Casting and legs have been pretty terrible lately. A lot of them have been badly designed like this final one.

J-Rod

I want to think they made the last leg have no mental challenges because of the contestants they had left. They all would have been there until midnight waiting for one team to finish.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Smells like horse shit. But that stench was around all season. Congrats to Dave and Connor on the hollowest of victories.

Tregard

Soothsayer
God that ending was bollocks. Befitting of the entire season, really.

Losing all of the teams I was rooting for relatively early (Unashamedly Joey & Meghan, Margie & Luke and Globetrotters), I didn't have anyone to root for for a while until Brenchel began to rise to the top. Having not seen their original series (or either of their Big Brother seasons), I hadn't been privy to Rachel's whining, and honestly thought she was just a very passionate and rather skilled racer, complemented by Brendan's ingenuity. So naturally, I was rooting for them, especially after that stupid fecking alliance began their ridiculous tirade against them.

The first half of the season was bland, but the latter half was a downward spiral of awful. Poor tasks, poor location choice and race design (I mean those U-turns were so late on it was pointless to have two) meant it became a show about this weird clique all helping each other get to the pit-stop rather than being a race. The final leg was just the icing on the underbaked cake with three tasks that required no mental or physical skill whatsoever (Dig hole, open box, find key, open box, get lightbulb, screw in lightbulbs, count, get in helicopter, look for sign) and yet more advertising tie-ins.

The Country Girls should have been eliminated three-times over (granted, Brenchel should've been out once and were saved by a NEL, but everybody is allowed one methinks), and D&C were obviously going to win from the editing, so it was not fun to watch the one team I had any hope in slowly get crushed by an atrocious taxi driver before self-destructing out of panic. Skydiving into the finish line was a visually decent idea, which didn't really pan out that well, as it took away the proper run to the finish line, but that's probably nitpicking.

I wouldn't criticise it this much if I didn't love TAR, but this season has been a huge let-down, especially as an All-Star series. Hopefully they're saving all the good ideas for TAR25, they'll need them.

In the mean-time, I'll just image an alternative TAR24 where the final 3 were Brooke & Claire, Zev & Justin and Tiffany & Marie

Argh, what a lame end to a mediocre season.

At least Amazing Race Canada is back on July 8th and will be going outside of the country this time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The rumours are they were in ...
Macau
Oh reeeeally?
Well, you can't expect the Canadian version to get its own cities and tasks I guess. lol

If the American producers were smart though, they'd use the Canadian version as a beta test for new rules and tasks, rather than just let them recycle old ones.

Camwi

That was a really lame last leg, but I'm just glad Brendan and Rachel didn't win. Those two douchebags need to disappear for a while and stop being reality TV whores.

stufte

That was a really lame last leg, but I'm just glad Brendan and Rachel didn't win. Those two douchebags need to disappear for a while and stop being reality TV whores.

Agreed. Every time she'd try to use her "baby" as a way to get people to do what she wanted, or how it seemed that she was suddenly an expert at any task (which she amazingly wasn't) because "she used to be X,Y,Z" was supremely annoying. And the constant praying to god, and using the "I'm a girl!" to get people to be nice to her. Ugh. He's no prize either, but man.... she takes the cake.

Glad Dave and Connor won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom