• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing Race 26 |OT| So I hear you like dating couples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this two weeks break cause half the teams to start failing so terribly or something? Cause wow that was terrible.

I know I said at the start that I was looking forward to seeing teams self destruct but honestly I didn't expect it to be this bad.

lol what? they didn't have a 2 week break mid-race

I thought driving stick would be one of the requirements?

Pretty sure they intentionally cast people that admit they don't know how to swim, drive stick, afraid of heights etc... to build drama

TheYanger

lol what? they didn't have a 2 week break mid-race

Pretty sure they intentionally cast people that admit they don't know how to swim, drive stick, afraid of heights etc... to build drama

It's just one of those things...I'd go learn that shit once I found out I was going to be on. I thought this leg was fairly hilarious since at first it was like 'which team fucked up worse' but then they kept needing the car and I found THAT pretty damn funny.

It's just one of those things...I'd go learn that shit once I found out I was going to be on. I thought this leg was fairly hilarious since at first it was like 'which team fucked up worse' but then they kept needing the car and I found THAT pretty damn funny.

But it happens time and time again, they must not give some teams enough time to go learn lol

Happens on Survivor as well with people not knowing how to swim

So apparently Hayley is on twitter attacking everyone who criticizes her and blaming the editing for her behaviour. A choice quote:

"Hahaha it's a tv show. Editing. Sadly, I still have to save the lives of people like you daily. #ignorant"

And I'll just leave this here, a 4 minute clip of her behaving like a nasty brat which is pretty much the camera running and not "edited for tv to make hayley look bad" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qn__Eo4h58

RangersFan

Ah, the old "it's editing" As Jeff Probst would say, you still gotta provide the material to be edited, how you are portrayed is usually how you come off in real life.

Lev

Hayley being entertaining this episode. It's cool that Blair doesn't let her walk all over him.

Zalasta

Really hate the team format this season. It would be hilarious if this backfires and make some of the blind date participants more undateable after being on the show.

TheYanger

So apparently Hayley is on twitter attacking everyone who criticizes her and blaming the editing for her behaviour. A choice quote:

"Hahaha it's a tv show. Editing. Sadly, I still have to save the lives of people like you daily. #ignorant"

And I'll just leave this here, a 4 minute clip of her behaving like a nasty brat which is pretty much the camera running and not "edited for tv to make hayley look bad" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qn__Eo4h58

hoooly shit what a fucking shrew.

Lev

Fffffff. Mike and Rochelle somehow just keep barely winning. I'm annoyed that they are still in the race. :/

Nabs

Next week... 2 hour episode

edit: Phew. It's 2 episodes instead of a really long one. I guess they want this season over as quickly as we do.

NYR

For a gimmicky leg in an already gimmicky season, I kinda enjoyed this episode.
Yep, one of, if not the best this season.

Wow, conceded much? Psycho.

RangersFan

I guess I'm cheering for Tyler and Laura at this point. Very bland season, though the gimmick in a way did pay off with Jenny and Hayley bitching out their partners which is always entertaining.

Somehow, even though I'm a huge Survivor fan, this is the first season of Amazing Race I've ever watched. I'm surprised to see it's so disliked here, since I'm really enjoying it. What's wrong with it, exactly? It seems exactly like what I was expecting it to be, so I'm wondering what it's missing that the best seasons had.

Also, is there a way to go back and watch older seasons in Canada? My wife is hooked, too, and she wants to go back and watch more.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Somehow, even though I'm a huge Survivor fan, this is the first season of Amazing Race I've ever watched. I'm surprised to see it's so disliked here, since I'm really enjoying it. What's wrong with it, exactly? It seems exactly like what I was expecting it to be, so I'm wondering what it's missing that the best seasons had.

Also, is there a way to go back and watch older seasons in Canada? My wife is hooked, too, and she wants to go back and watch more.

One big difference is the show used to be more about figuring out where you were supposed to go and then getting there. But cell phones made things too easy so the focus has shifted more to challenges. The show books most of the flights for teams now and it's just who gets to the airport first instead of who can work the counter people more effectively to find and book flights.

Also the game used to be more social because teams were allowed to mingle and interact between legs. But someone some drunken asshole ruined that around season 15 or so. The teams are now sequestered between legs.

Youtube has full TAR Canada eps.

Apparently the casting call for next season is asking for couples to apply as well as singles to be matched up. They're doing the same thing AGAIN. The guys will probably be matched up with Hayley clones for max drama lol The couple teams were always my least favourite on amazing race, so I'm not impressed at 2 seasons in a row of this.

Ganhyun

One big difference is the show used to be more about figuring out where you were supposed to go and then getting there. But cell phones made things too easy so the focus has shifted more to challenges. The show books most of the flights for teams now and it's just who gets to the airport first instead of who can work the counter people more effectively to find and book flights.

Also the game used to be more social because teams were allowed to mingle and interact between legs. But someone some drunken asshole ruined that around season 15 or so. The teams are now sequestered between legs.

Youtube has full TAR Canada eps.

Are we talking about the same show? I've seen, multiple times, where teams got better flights than others because they tried a different travel agency or desk. Also, teams have been getting lost left and right this season, so I dont think those snazzy cell phones they have have GPS on them, and I know that in at least one challenge where they drove the GPS was not allowed.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
There's also a lot less screaming these days be it at teammates, competitors, or just normal citizens. Hayley's whining and Jenny's nagging are pretty tame by comparison. Jackie probably came closest screaming at Jeff. Imagine more of that for as long as the crazy people last.

UberTag

Apparently the casting call for next season is asking for couples to apply as well as singles to be matched up. They're doing the same thing AGAIN. The guys will probably be matched up with Hayley clones for max drama lol The couple teams were always my least favourite on amazing race, so I'm not impressed at 2 seasons in a row of this.
Ugh... they've really gone off the rails of late. Their Emmys have finally gone to their heads.

CDX

Really? Again.

I thought this season was just going to be a 1 time thing. The Amazing Race US is becoming so ...blah to me.

Hope The Amazing Race Canada and The Amazing Race Australia make more seasons this year.

TheYanger

Are we talking about the same show? I've seen, multiple times, where teams got better flights than others because they tried a different travel agency or desk. Also, teams have been getting lost left and right this season, so I dont think those snazzy cell phones they have have GPS on them, and I know that in at least one challenge where they drove the GPS was not allowed.

Theirs are just cameras. I have to assume that cell phones random people on the street have was the intention though. Otherwise idk. Either way, it's not SUPER common you see the teams running up and using people's phones. Not any more than it was 10 years ago.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
They don't need to use other people phones any more because every business has broadband internet and because they don't have to figure out clues anymore. They are just given the destination. Figuring out where you were supposed to go from a vague clue was a bigger deal. Now you just have to figure out how to get there.

And even though they did get to buy their own tickets for once that doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to. And even then they spent like 2 minutes on it. In earlier seasons half of every episode was spent in airports watching every team work the counters and phones trying find better flights.

They also didn't sequester the racers this episode but they normally do.

TheYanger

I really don't think it was as cryptic about where to go back then as you're remembering, or that it's that different now. Certainly the internet is more prevalent (especially in the more remote countries) but MOST of the time directions are still gotten verbally from strangers or cab drivers. The only times the clues were challenging to understand in the past were when they were intentionally a puzzle, and that's still the case.

How much have we seen teams getting lost this season? tons. The airport stuff is more a matter of editing. If nothing exciting happens at the airport, why would they devote 20 minutes to it? I wouldn't if I were the editor. When someone actually misses a flight? they'll show all of the drama about it. I'm sure if someone pulled the luggage block the guidos did in S1 or something they'd be all about it still, that just doesn't happen.

I do agree it sucks that the teams are sequestered. I always thought that was lame once they started it, even if they had a decent reason.

The big reason we don't see that much airport drama anymore is due to the new rule that once you book a flight, you can't book another one.

So you won't see where teams run around an airport trying to see if there are any better flights like we seen before in past seasons or try and mess with connections.

I don't really mind it since having a large chunk of an episode devoted to airport stuff gets pretty boring. The producers have also gotten better at being mindful of events in the countries so there'll be less times where half the country is on holiday and booked all the flights to anywhere.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I really don't think it was as cryptic about where to go back then as you're remembering, or that it's that different now.

I just watched 1-8 6 months ago. I remember them just fine.

I don't really mind it since having a large chunk of an episode devoted to airport stuff gets pretty boring.

I'm don't mind it either. You can only see someone yell at or beg someone behind a counter so much.

TheYanger

Not sure that there's an easy way to go find them, at least entirely on the up and up, but I highly recommend seasons 1 and 2, and season 5 from early series. 5 is probably my favorite though 1 was REALLY good for a first season of a new show.

I don't really watch this show, but it came under my radar late last year because a relative (my cousin's daughter) won 1st place together with her boyfriend at the Amazing Race edition in my home country.

/sorry, no real contribution to the thread except for the bump!

scarlet

Not sure that there's an easy way to go find them, at least entirely on the up and up, but I highly recommend seasons 1 and 2, and season 5 from early series. 5 is probably my favorite though 1 was REALLY good for a first season of a new show.

It gets worse since Beekman won season 21(?)

Ganhyun

I really don't know who to root for anymore. The couple I liked (Jeff and Jackie) got eliminated. I guess I can root for Matt and Ashley now.

Lev

This is my first season of Amazing Race. I'm just curious if any team in the past has recovered from a speed bump and managed to avoid elimination?

TheYanger

This is my first season of Amazing Race. I'm just curious if any team in the past has recovered from a speed bump and managed to avoid elimination?

Absolutely. Usually the legs after speed bumps have a flight or some other bunching mechanism.

Zalasta

It really depends on how the challenges are set up for that leg. I assume you're up to date because as demonstrated in the episode where the Olympians were eliminated, there was no catch up mechanism, and not only that for some reason they put a double U-turn right after a non-elimination pit stop, so it's basically the kiss of death if you have to deal with a speed bump with no help.

This season has been terrible overall, in the concept, the execution and how the challenges were arranged so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom