• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stargate: Origins Enters Production; Cast Announced

From the press release:

Stargate Command is delighted to announce that Ellie Gall has been chosen to portray legendary Stargate icon, Catherine Langford, in the upcoming premium digital series, Stargate Origins.

Ellie Gall recently starred on the Lifetime television movie A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE, a psychological thriller and modern-day take on Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. She first endeared herself to fans as a series regular on Australia's Disney Channel series MIND OVER MADDIE. Additional credits include recurring roles on Australia's period drama A PLACE TO CALL HOME and the acclaimed Network Ten series PUBERTY BLUES chronicling the coming-of-age of two teenage girls during the late 1970s.

The Stargate Origins production will shine a whole new light on one of the most crucial figures in the Stargate saga, and in a special message to Stargate Command members, reveals just how much this means to her.

”The opportunity to portray this iconic character is once in a lifetime," said Gall, ”I'm thrilled to be a part of the Stargate family and I hope Stargate fans are as equally excited as I am about Catherine Langford's new adventure."

But, this exciting casting announcement is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to good news today, because we can now officially announce that Stargate Origins has commenced production.

With the cast and crew officially getting principal photography underway, we can also reveal the names of those who will be joining Gall on the Stargate Origins cast list, including a familiar face from Stargate: Atlantis.

Connor Trinneer returns to the Stargate franchise, 11 years after he first appeared as Michael Kenmore in Season 2 of Stargate: Atlantis. Over the course of a 10-episode arc spanning 3 seasons, Trinneer's performances turned the complex Lastlight/Michael Kenmore into a fan-favorite character. Now, Trinneer will take on another famous name from the Stargate franchise, playing Professor Paul Langford, the man whose archaeological dig uncovered the stargate back in 1929.

Joining Trinneer and Gall on the Stargate Origins cast are Salome Azizi, Philip Alexander, Michelle Jubilee Gonzalez, Daniel Rashid, Sarah Navratil, Shvan Aladdin, Tonatiuh Elizarraraz, Derek Chariton, Justin Michael Terry and Lincoln Werner Hoppe, with more information on those roles to be released in the coming weeks.

Catherine Langford is a character whose life remains somewhat shrouded in mystery. Stargate Origins will dive deep into the adventures that provide additional context to Catherine's lifelong fascination with the ancient artifact her father uncovered in the Egyptian desert, revealing a story that sits at the heart of the entire Stargate saga.

Released exclusively on Stargate Command later this year, Stargate Origins is produced by entertainment studio New Form, as well as MGM's Digital Group, and the series will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan (”Virtual Morality") and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.

content_f40d91f0-9061-0135-ff80-0b5436bc6ced.png

Ellie Gall as Catherine Langford

content_c5b652c0-90ce-0135-e171-597f5c5ae7be.png

Connor Trinneer as Professor Paul Langford

What do you guys think? I'm always down for more Stargate, even though I don't necessarily agree with their decisions in terms of bringing this to fruition. There's no way that this comes out before Spring 2018.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand why this prequel is a thing, but I'm certainly happy to get good Stargate so I'm hopeful.

I've always felt Trinneer got unfairly dumped on as a hick in Star Trek: Enterprise, so it'd be nice to see him in other stuff.

norm9

I just don't get why they launching a Stargate specific streaming service

It's so you're not stuck watching random episodes in syndication. I don't think in the long ass time I've watched all the shows, I've seen a single arc finish.

Prequel makes no sense, thinking about it.

What the story here? Are they saying that Daniel isn't the one to first open it?

The TV series people and the original directors and creators (Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin) have never liked each other. On the Director's Commentary for the original Stargate movie DVD (which is carried over to subsequent releases), they actually go out of their way to say and emphasize "We have nothing to do with the TV series."

Maybe they plan to retcon the movie out of the TV series continuity.

Tagg9

What? They expect to release this before the end of the year and they've only just started production on it? They must expect it to be extremely light on special effects.

What? They expect to release this before the end of the year and they've only just started production on it? They must expect it to be extremely light on special effects.

If it's a prequel set on Earth before they even open the Stargate the first time, there should be literally no effects of any kind.

Also it's supposed to be 10 episodes, 10 minutes each. This is just an anthology short series. Probably just these people looking at hieroglyphs and being like what the fuck is this stone circle thing for 100 minutes.

norm9

If it's a prequel set on Earth before they even open the Stargate the first time, there should be literally no effects of any kind.

Also it's supposed to be 10 episodes, 10 minutes each. This is just an anthology short series. Probably just these people looking at hieroglyphs and being like what the fuck is this stone circle thing for 100 minutes.

This sounds terrible!

The TV series people and the original directors and creators (Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin) have never liked each other. On the Director's Commentary for the original Stargate movie DVD (which is carried over to subsequent releases), they actually go out of their way to say and emphasize "We have nothing to do with the TV series."

Maybe they plan to retcon the movie out of the TV series continuity.

I love the movie and really like the series. But they're definitely separate things.

Lagamorph

In SG-1 Paul Langford did open it and go through, but got stuck on the other side. I don't think Catherine knew about it though did she?
Either way, everyone forgot about it for like 50 years until SG-1 went through and found him.

But I mean, unless they plan on making this an entire different continuity to both the movies and SG-1 I can't see how this is going to work. Unless it's a series about them trying to open the Stargate, failing and only opening it in a finale in which the guy goes through and is lost.
But that sounds terrible.

KarmaCow

I mean, the same actors playing different characters throughout the years is pretty much a staple of the Stargate franchise.

Yea Stargate was basically a looping cast of actors in the PNW. I think Christopher Heyerdahl played at least three characters in Atlantis and a couple in SG-1.

edit: It was actually only three technically (he played an unnamed Wraith in addition to playing Todd) and only one character in SG-1. I could have sworn he played a Genii as well.

Effect

I still don't get how this is going to work or why they made this a prequel. I'm normally forgiving of the prequel play but in this case I'm really confused by it. More Stargate is always a good thing though. So I guess I'll be checking this out and I'm do for a rewatch of the franchise anyway.

DiscoJer

What is the deal with prequels? It's like Star Trek. Just advance the time line by however many years it was since Atlantis ended.

Oh well, at least it's not a reboot like that movie would have been.

krae_man

I mean, the same actors playing different characters throughout the years is pretty much a staple of the Stargate franchise.

Even in SG-1 he wasn't the first one in the modern era to open it.

They were just feeding Camulus disinformation while he was posing as a SG member.

What is the deal with prequels? It's like Star Trek. Just advance the time line by however many years it was since Atlantis ended.

Too much baggage and the Earth is too overpowered by that point

Melon Husk

I thought this was about the movie. Reminds me I should watch SGU, so I guess I'll sub so I can binge both.

edit: Link's broken

Breqesk

They’re making this - cheap, short - series to feel out if there’s still any interest in the franchise.

Sooo... Well, if you want that, watch this.

Effect

Too much baggage and the Earth is too overpowered by that point

It's not said but I think this is kinda the problem with Star Trek as well. Keep going forward and you kind have to start going beyond the galaxy because tech has made the galaxy so much smaller.

DBT85

I'll be watching of course, do have to wonder what they can do given what we already know about the history of the Stargate.

Wife and I are just coming to the end of Season 6 of SG1 (her first watch) and shes loving it.

More Stargate is welcome, but I do with is wasn't this. But that opinion could easily change once it's done!

More Michael too. Sweet.

Earth is OP as fuck by the end of Atlantis.

Not dissimilar to Janeway coming back with Borg killers and magic armour.

Top Bottom