• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2017 Edition -

berzeli

Banned
Watched the first episode of Rellik.
It's solid, but boy does it drive its gimmick into the ground quick.

However, someone forgot to mention that it has a soundtrack by Clark which is something I to my joy discovered whilst watching it. It is fucking amazing and easily the best thing about the show. Which to be clear is a ringing endorsement of the music, not slagging of the show.
He also did the incredible soundtrack for The Last Panthers which you should listen to, I loved the show as well so throwing in a recommendation for it too (be warned, the American version is censored and in the wrong aspect ratio).
edit: Spotify link to the Rellik EP. it is really, really good.

Also a note about Cinemax (who supposedly will air it at some point):
Cinemax is recalibrating its original programming strategy, returning to the type of fare that launched its push into original primetime series: fun, high-octane, action, pulpy, straight-to-series dramas done in a cost-effective way primarily as international co-productions.
Things Rellik isn't: : fun, high-octane, or action. It is a bit pulpy. And, admittedly, it is a straight-to-series drama which Cinemax co-produced.

Good work on the rebranding guyz.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Old:

American Horror Story
You're the Worst
BoJack Horseman
One Mississippi
Outlander
Fear the Walking Dead
Broad City
Better Things
Vice Principals
Fuller House
Transparent
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Modern Family
Will & Grace
Bob's Burgers
Mr. Robot
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Walking Dead
Stranger Things
The Girlfriend Experience
Lady Dynamite
Search Party
Vikings
Ash vs Evil Dead
Black Mirror
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Outcast
The A Word

New:

Get Krackin
The Deuce
The Vietnam War
Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus
Marvel's Inhumans
Suburra
The Long Road Home
Damnation
Godless
AMC Visionaries: Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics
Knightfall
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
The Punisher
The Terror

Maybe:

Alias Grace
The State
Missions
Big Mouth
Babylon Berlin
Mindhunter
Queers
SMILF
Future Man
Marvel's Runaways
She's Gotta Have It
Brittania
Cormoran Strike
The Alienist
Watership Down

Will make threads for, pending good reviews:

Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus
Suburra
Dirk Gently
The Walking Dead (Samurai passed thread duties to me this year)
Godless
Vikings
Man in the High Castle
Damnation
Knightfall

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And here I was thinking I did good by dropping all the CW superhero shows, Ray Donovan, Queen Sugar, and a bunch of others... u__u

I plan on watching Inhumans though because I want to see how big of a disaster it is, plus it's only 8 episodes. (and there's a dog!
for like 2 episodes or however long the cgi budget lasted
)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
And here I was thinking I did good by dropping all the CW superhero shows, Ray Donovan, Queen Sugar, and a bunch of others... u__u

I plan on watching Inhumans though because I want to see how big of a disaster it is, plus it's only 8 episodes. (and there's a dog!
for like 2 episodes or however long the cgi budget lasted
)

I think I'm finally ready to drop most of the hero shows too. Inhumans will be a hate watch, but I'm done with Flash and maybe Supergirl too. There are so many, there really isn't a need to stick with subpar efforts.

berzeli

Banned
Okay so because I enjoyed Rellik, I figured I might as well give Liar a spin. Now because Britain is Britain, we have two shows from the same writers (Harry & Jack Williams) airing on the same night. BBC has Rellik, and ITV has Liar.

I think BBC won this round, sure the gimmick gets overplayed very quickly but at least Rellik has a gimmick. Liar is a solid piece of, well not entertainment as such, but in the first episode it doesn't tread any new ground and doesn't really say anything that compelling. It good leads in Hornblower Ioan Gruffudd and Joanne Froggatt, well directed (the first shot is great), and the writing is fine. I'm just not sure that there is six episodes' worth of story in this though and if they play up the "what really happened that night" angle for too long it won't just be bad/annoying story telling it would be kind of tasteless.

And by the gods did I miss the soundtrack of Rellik.

berzeli

Banned
And for this Quarry was axed? Fuckers.
I mean Quarry was also not fun, high-octane, or that action-y. Admittedly it was a bit more pulpy.

And like I said Rellik is a solid show (based on its opener) gifted with the music of the gods.

g11

The Deuce - HBO - 9/8c
Top of the Lake: China Girl - SundanceTV - 9/8c
The Mindy Project - Hulu - Final Season
Broad City - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c
Mr. Robot - USA - 10/9c
Mindhunter - Netflix
Stranger Things - Netflix
Black Mirror - Netflix
The Grand Tour - Amazon

Glad to see something new from David Simon. I'm down for pretty much anything he does. Mindhunter looks like it could be really solid. The rest are all shows I know I've liked previously. Well Grand Tour was okay. I'm hoping over time they get back to golden era Top Gear quality.

Yes
American Vandal
Ash vs Evil Dead
Lore
Outlander
The Flash
The Punisher
The Tick
This Is Us

Maybe?
Godless
Jean Claude Van Johnson
Mindhunter
Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams
Runaways
Stranger Things (starting with season one)

berzeli

Banned
Peter Moffat (did the UK original The Night Of) has a new show and it's out soon? Goddammit BBC stop having your shows sneak up on me.

The Last Post: Trailer - BBC One
Set in 1960s Aden, it takes place in a world of danger, intrigue and glamour, where the sun is going down on the empire and sex and feminism are arriving in the twentieth century.

Looks like it's worth checking out

- FOX’s Ghosted Will Premiere on Twitter Before It Airs
FOX and Twitter are breaking boundaries by releasing Ghosted, the new sci-fi comedy starring Adam Scott and Craig Robinson, in advance of the series premiere. The show follows a skeptic and a true believer who investigate paranormal activities in Los Angeles. Ghosted premieres October 1 on FOX, but the series will stream via Twitter from September 21 to the 24 in advance of the broadcast premiere. This partnership is the first of its kind for the social media platform and will herald the creation of new content between the social media giant and the studio.

In addition to Ghosted airing a week and a half before its premiere date, the network will debut an exclusive Empire pre-show that will run on the social media site. The network will also air episodes of The Mick giving fans a chance to catch up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It hasn't officially premiered yet, but I'm rooting for The Mayor to do well. The pilot is incredibly strong. Jam packed with good jokes

- ‘Knightfall': Jeremy Renner-Produced History Drama Series Gets Fall Premiere & Trailer
History has slotted Wednesday, December 6 at 10 PM for the premiere of its new drama series Knightfall, from A+E Studios, Jeremy Renner's The Combine and Midnight Radio, and has released a new trailer.

Created by Don Handfield and Richard Rayner, Knightfall goes inside the medieval politics and warfare of the Knights Templar, the most powerful, wealthy and mysterious military order of the Middle Ages who were entrusted with protecting Christianity's most precious relics.

Knightfall begins after the fall of the city of Acre, the Templar's last stronghold in the Holy Land, where the Holy Grail is lost. Years later, a clue emerges suggesting the whereabouts of the Grail and sends the Templars, led by the noble, courageous and headstrong Templar Knight Landry (Tom Cullen), on a life or death mission to find the lost Cup of Christ. Focusing on themes such as belief, sacrifice, politics, love, power and revenge, Knightfall goes deep into the clandestine world of this legendary brotherhood of warrior monks to find out who these knights were, how they lived, and what they died believing.

Cast also includes Jim Carter, Olivia Ross, Ed Stoppard, William De Nogaret, Sabrina Bartlett, Bobby Schofield and Sarah-Sofie Boussnina.
Trailer here.

berzeli

Banned
Anyone going to make the Valor OT or do I have to set a reminder for myself ?
Well, I can make it. It will consist of 400 copies of:
k9beYH9.gif

Oh man I forgot about The Mayor and I really liked that trailer.

Haven't seen much out of it but I want The Gifted to be good.

I watched The Good Place and This Is Us over the summer so now onboard for S2.

frontovik

Banned
I find it hard believe that people would commit to watching more than five shows this season .. and I'm seeing lists filled with like fifteen shows?!

Anyways, just Babylon Berlin for me since I've read the books.

Ross61

I find it hard believe that people would commit to watching more than five shows this season .. and I'm seeing lists filled with like fifteen shows?!

Anyways, just Babylon Berlin for me since I've read the books.
Why do you find it hard to believe? TV is good.

Grizzlyjin

Just .. how do you find the time? lol.

It's a commitment for me to even find time for one series.

I sleep 3-4 hours a day. I could actually watch more if I was into binge watching. But I get distracted lol

Spreading it out helps. Since a lot of 1 hour cable dramas air on Sunday, I'll save them for a "dry spell" in the middle of the week.

berzeli

Banned
- Waco trailer

It premieres in January on the Paramount Network.
That actually looks quite good, had forgotten Michael Shannon was in this. And I said it about the pic that got released yesterday and I'll say it about this trailer as well Taylor Kitsch does a better acting job in this minute and-a-half than in all of second season True Dick.

Haha, perfect!
Still, it seems the US Military are preparinf for war and gearing up their propaganda machine for the next decade’s recruitment effort.
The preview for Valor makes it seem like America ain't so good in it, or at least that the CIA is bad.

The Brave so far might as well just be another CTU.

berzeli

Banned
Nothing compares to Zoo: a tribute to TV's dumbest joy, and my greatest love
I shall instead share with you the 10 best creatures Zoo's bloodthirsty menagerie introduced in season three, in honor of what may be their final ride into the apocalyptic sunset.

10) Abigail Westbrook
9) Razorback wolves
8) Ostrich(?) vultures(?)
7) Pedro and Samson
6) Woolly mammoth rhino(?!)
5) Zombie dog
4) Giant octopus with razor tentacles capable of hacking a plane's mainframe
3) 70-foot invisible snake
2) Pizza the dog
1) Abendegos
Read the full article. Just do it.

Also: