• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Star Trek' TV series planned for 2017, streaming on CBS All Access platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Everybody having their own streaming service is starting to get on my nerves. Is this the future that the cord cutters envisioned for us? Instead of paying the cable company $100 a month for 1,000 channels you don't watch and 10 channels you do watch, now you can spend $100 a month for 10 channels you do watch.

boingball

While I was hoping for a new TV Series and want to be excited this announcement is a little bit deflating. While I like the new Star Trek movies they are definitely not Star Trek. And putting the same people in charge for the TV series (which I hoped would be more true to the original Star Trek formula) makes me worried. I have to hear and see more before I will get excited for this.

UberTag

Everybody having their own streaming service is starting to get on my nerves. Is this the future that the cord cutters envisioned for us? Instead of paying the cable company $100 a month for 1,000 channels you don't watch and 10 channels you do watch, now you can spend $100 a month for 10 channels you do watch.
These companies were always going to get our $100/month from us one way or the other.
They're just trying to find different ways of going about it.

WillyFive

A reminder to everyone that every Trek series after the original had a rocky start and it took a few seasons to start getting consistently good. A weak first season for this wouldn't necessarily reflect much on the rest of the series, though there is a question of whether a new Trek series could even survive after a weak first season in this day and age.

S1 of TNG was a big upgrade from most of TOS, though.

Mindlog

The dystopian à la carte future is upon us.
New Star Trek is OK, but meh. I'm not even all that tied to the old formula. Let HBO handle the series. Star Trek on HBO would be great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But B4 is alive!
Who is basically Data because the writers didn't want to commit to killing of Data.
Yes. lol
I don't believe that at all. Hell, we had "The West Wing" during the height of the War on Terror and that show was nothing but optimism and preaching the liberal agenda. People are more than okay with a "preachy" show in 2015, they just don't want a bad preachy show. Also, Terry Farell is a homophobe?
And look at The Newsroom. People hate that show. I hate that show. lol

You can't have middle aged white guys in spandex yell at middle aged white guys in face masks about how they are being racist, especially when your show has one black guy on it who does nothing but stand there in order to fill a quota.

A new Star Trek would have to be drastically different from the old formula, if they wanted to do something that is meaningful to someone other than old fanboys who can't let go of Trek for whatever reason.

And yeah, I remember reading that about the episode, but it seems in more recent episode Farrell is much more positive. The other thing to remember at the time was that the "lesbian kiss episode" was all the rage in the 90s. It's the only homosexuality that you could comfortably show on TV because people seemed fine with two women kissing each other.

This is the thing that people don't understand. Paying ala carte means you pay more, unless you really only watch one or two "channels".

A reminder to everyone that every Trek series after the original had a rocky start and it took a few seasons to start getting consistently good. A weak first season for this wouldn't necessarily reflect much on the rest of the series, though there is a question of whether a new Trek series could even survive after a weak first season in this day and age.
You could argue that Voyager and Enterprise never got good. :p

liquidtmd

Banned
A new Star Trek would have to be drastically different from the old formula, if they wanted to do something that is meaningful to someone other than old fanboys who can't let go of Trek for whatever reason.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong but I remember this argument doing the rounds when TNG was launching

You can have The Best of Both Worlds

Friend just asked me this question upon finding out the news.

"So... so this is gonna end up being some Blood & Chrome bullshit, isn't it"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not saying you're entirely wrong but I remember this argument doing the rounds when TNG was launching

You can have The Best of Both Worlds
That's fair, but I don't know what Star Trek is supposed to stand for now. I don't think anyone really does allegorical science fiction now, at least not of the kind where the racist aliens are suppose to represent human racism.

Like, maybe you could write an interesting Star Trek episode that is peripherally about police shootings in America and how only Black Americans seem to suffer... but why would you need Star Trek to do that when you could do much better by making a cop show that directly addresses the issue?

Just look at what Enterprise tried to do with 9-11. That whole fucking story arc ended with Alien Nazis taking over earth. lol

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yes. lol

And look at The Newsroom. People hate that show. I hate that show. lol

You can't have middle aged white guys in spandex yell at middle aged white guys in face masks about how they are being racist, especially when your show has one black guy on it who does nothing but stand there in order to fill a quota.

I have, rather fortunately or unfortunately, never watched The Newsroom precisely because people said it was too preachy and Sorkin unchecked. Accordingly, I don't know if I can comment on the quality of the show but based on what people have told me I believe the problem with the show isn't that it is preachy but because it is too "on the nose" or "in your face" and not written as well or elegantly as say The West Wing was.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's fair, but I don't know what Star Trek is supposed to stand for now. I don't think anyone really does allegorical science fiction now, at least not of the kind where the racist aliens are suppose to represent human racism.

Like, maybe you could write an interesting Star Trek episode that is peripherally about police shootings in America and how only Black Americans seem to suffer... but why would you need Star Trek to do that when you could do much better by making a cop show that directly addresses the issue?

Just look at what Enterprise tried to do with 9-11. That whole fucking story arc ended with Alien Nazis taking over earth. lol

I disagree. I watched the Drumhead last week and that episode is just as relevant, if not more so today. The reason why indirect stories about aliens are compelling is the same reason why we use metaphors and analogies in the first place. If done well, it makes things easier to understand when it's from another perspective.

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!

They said it wouldn't happen, that it couldn't be done!

Tears of joy will flow like rivers into the vastness of space!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have, rather fortunately or unfortunately, never watched The Newsroom precisely because people said it was too preachy and Sorkin unchecked. Accordingly, I don't know if I can comment on the quality of the show but based on what people have told me I believe the problem with the show isn't that it is preachy but because it is too "on the nose" or "in your face" and not written as well or elegantly as say The West Wing was.
To be honest, The Newsroom tainted The West Wing for me, so I haven't been able to go back. But when science fiction is now The Walking Dead and The Leftovers, where the drama is character based instead of plot based, I just don't think you can have "issue" episodes and hoped to be taken seriously.
Well, unless you are going for cheese/camp like the CW shows I suppose.

I disagree. I watched the Drumhead last week and that episode is just as relevant, if not more so today. The reason why indirect stories about aliens are compelling is the same reason why we use metaphors and analogies in the first place. If done well, it makes things easier to understand when it's from another perspective.
Ex Machina is basically an updated Drumhead, and it's fine. But the question is can you make a series like that, where every other episode is some unsubtle allegory?

The other mode of Star Trek is the wacky scifi anomaly of the week - like the crew gets their memory wiped, or they get trapped in a time loop and end up meeting their own grand kids or whatever. I suppose you could churn those types of gimmick episodes, but you're more likely to end up with shows where Tuvok and Neelix merge into one person or where Janeway and Paris turn into space slugs and have sex with each other.

---

Someone brought it up in another thread, but the new Minority Report is what I'm afraid a new Star Trek show would turn into. They need to divorce themselves from that kind of science fiction writing altogether.

Klyka

Banned
Really curious if this will take place in the original timeline or the JJverse. I like the JJ movies but the original timeline just seems more interesting to me, especially in a post Nemesis world where Romulus is gone. Real talk - I just want Enterprise Season 5. That show got cancelled just as it started to get really good.

Have you played Star Trek Online?

Cause that is actually set in a post-supernova Romulus universe

Divvy

Ex Machina is basically an updated Drumhead, and it's fine. But the question is can you make a series like that, where every other episode is some unsubtle allegory?

The other mode of Star Trek is the wacky scifi anomaly of the week - like the crew gets their memory wiped, or they get trapped in a time loop and end up meeting their own grand kids or whatever. I suppose you could churn those types of gimmick episodes, but you're more likely to end up with shows where Tuvok and Neelix merge into one person or where Janeway and Paris turn into space slugs and have sex with each other.

Are you thinking of measure of a man? I haven't had the chance to watch Ex Machina yet, but I don't think that's what the drumhead was about.

And yeah, it entirely depends on how good the writing is of course.

maharg

idspispopd

The Newsroom has so many much bigger problems than simply being preachy, among them the fact that it is as you say too on the nose, but also because it's basically just a platform for Sorkin to accuse the media of being crappy. Which, like, they are, but Sorkin would do no better without the benefit of hindsight that he has in his show. It's also got characters who seem stuck in a different era of television, where all the men are upstanding goofballs and the women clumsy ditzes whose plots center around men.

It's just, in every way, a show that's got a laser focus on the past and not on the future. It's Sorkin's Rant About How The World Doesn't Live Up To His Standards Hour.

Trek should be preachy, and it should be about how we can do better. I think there is still room for that on television, since the rest of television has gone what seems to be permanent grimdark.

In my head new TV Trek is a mix of the classic alien of the week style of TNG and TOS and a little sprinkle of DS9's over arching plots.

So a bit like Enterprise but less off the rails. Would love to know why Enterprise was as bad as it was. At least Voyager had the excuse of "everyone talented is off writing for DS9"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you thinking of measure of a man? I haven't had the chance to watch Ex Machina yet, but I don't think that's what the drumhead was about.

And yeah, it entirely depends on how good the writing is of course.
Oh right, I am. Drumhead is the Simon Tarsis half-Romulan episode. lol
But even then, when TV shows have done countless episodes about how Muslim-Americans are mistreated because of terrorism-related paranoia, it would seem really quaint to do it now on a science fiction show.
I just think television has evolved so much, particularly because of cable, that the idea of scifi allegory touching taboo subjects isn't of much interest anymore - and that was Star Trek's claim to fame.

Trek should be preachy, and it should be about how we can do better. I think there is still room for that on television, since the rest of television has gone what seems to be permanent grimdark.
Well, except people seem to accept that DS9 is the best Trek. lol

So a bit like Enterprise but less off the rails. Would love to know why Enterprise was as bad as it was. At least Voyager had the excuse of "everyone talented is off writing for DS9"
Berman. It's been ages since I read it, but the DS9 Companion made it sound like he was much more hands off with DS9 as he was spending time launching and developing Voyager.

Divvy

Oh right, I am. Drumhead is the Simon Tarsis half-Romulan episode. lol
But even then, when TV shows have done countless episodes about how Muslim-Americans are mistreated because of terrorism-related paranoia, it would seem really quaint to do it now on a science fiction show.
I just think television has evolved so much, particularly because of cable, that the idea of scifi allegory touching taboo subjects isn't of much interest anymore - and that was Star Trek's claim to fame.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I still think that, if written well, and on the level that old trek was, it would still be compelling.

Also, I don't think most people view DS9 as the best

maharg

idspispopd

Many people do. I don't. TOS is the best, TNG is second. Voyager is awful and Enterprise had one good season. DS9 is grimdark proto-BSG complete with weird religious mumbo jumbo. It's a fine show, but it doesn't really represent any of the good things about Trek.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I still think that, if written well, and on the level that old trek was, it would still be compelling.
I suppose it's subjective. I went through select episodes of TNG when the BDs came out and while I appreciate the show, some of the episodes are just awkward. Like the one where Riker tries to run away with an alien woman who is force to give up her gender.

But I'll agree that episodes like Darmok are classic.
It's funny enough, because even MASH has done the "how do two people who don't speak the same language work with each other" episode.

If we're talking cameos, it doesn't matter how far into the future they set it, there's one character that can return at any moment with no additional explanation.

93c88fea5da21f3ad2b9b33f3e3bd926.jpg

Sisko got played like a fiddle. Q wanted to provoke Sisko.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Michael Dorn's been trying to get a Captain Worf show going for awhile. It'd be cool if this is that.
I wonder if Takei is still trying to get a Captain Sulu show. :p

Many people do. I don't. TOS is the best, TNG is second. Voyager is awful and Enterprise had one good season. DS9 is grimdark proto-BSG complete with weird religious mumbo jumbo. It's a fine show, but it doesn't really represent any of the good things about Trek.
I'm not even sure where I stand in terms of Trek nowadays. For me, TNG is probably still the most "rewatchable" series. Getting dragged into the Dominion War and Klingon Fetishism of DS9 is something I've never really wanted to get back into.

But the reality is, particularly after BSG, that's the direction any new show would probably need to go in if the producers want the show to be any kind of success.

But, it is.
See above. lol

anaron

yeah it's getting insanely annoying.

Divvy

I suppose it's subjective. I went through select episodes of TNG when the BDs came out and while I appreciate the show, some of the episodes are just awkward. Like the one where Riker tries to run away with an alien woman who is force to give up her gender.

But I'll agree that episodes like Darmok are classic.
It's funny enough, because even MASH has done the "how do two people who don't speak the same language work with each other" episode.

Right, but those plot elements are rehashed over and over again in media. I mean there have been so many time travel and groundhog day episodes, with mixed success. It really depends on execution.

I wonder if Takei is still trying to get a Captain Sulu show. :p

I'm not even sure where I stand in terms of Trek nowadays. For me, TNG is probably still the most "rewatchable" series. Getting dragged into the Dominion War and Klingon Fetishism of DS9 is something I've never really wanted to get back into.

But the reality is, particularly after BSG, that's the direction any new show would probably need to go in if the producers want the show to be any kind of success.

See above. lol
Actually, I think the since scene is swamped with so many grimdark scifi shows, a bright and optimistic, maybe even slightly naive, scifi show would be refreshing and welcomed. Hell, especially since all the joy has basically been drained from Doctor Who lately.

Does it matter? Star Trek has too many timelines that her been explored in film and TV...

What matters is that they don't do a reboot. I still can't believe it's been going for 50 years with no reboot, it's awesome.

Are you pretending the new movies don't exist because they are so awful or...?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually, I think the since scene is swamped with so many grimdark scifi shows, a bright and optimistic, maybe even slightly naive, scifi show would be refreshing and welcomed. Hell, especially since all the joy has basically been drained from Doctor Who lately.
Even the reboot couldn't avoid it though. Star Trek begins with the annihilation of an entire planet and the death of Kirk's father. Then Into Darkness does the whole 9-11 conspiracy thing. lol

Then again, I'm a massive fan of an anime called Aria - precisely because it's so saccharine in its utopianism that it is sickening.

Kimaka

I don't like this being on a streaming service, but it is Star Trek so I'll probably pay for it. It better be set in the TV show universe. The new movies are fine, but I'm not as invested in that world or the characters than the TV show's.

CBS shows are like country music: They all feel the same as if every show was(song) made by one guy. Even their sitcoms are like that. Seems like all their shows are meant for people middle aged and older. I think the only show I ever really got into on CBS was Jericho. NBC has a similar problem but not as bad. At least they try and take some risks once in a while. I'm worried Star Trek will fit in that same boring CBS mold, but if its only on the streaming service, maybe they will be a bit bolder and break that mold for once.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CBS shows are like country music: They all feel the same as if every show was(song) made by one guy. Even their sitcoms are like that. Seems like all their shows are meant for people middle aged and older. I think the only show I ever really got into on CBS was Jericho. NBC has a similar problem but not as bad. At least they try and take some risks once in a while. I'm worried Star Trek will fit in that same boring CBS mold, but if its only on the streaming service, maybe they will be a bit bolder and break that mold for once.
Well, it's not airing on TV, so it won't have that problem at least.

OmegaFax

I hope it's a sequel series to TNG. Sure, it's great to revisit old stories but I hate it when a writer is confined to them. Like, "we can't do this because this is how it ends up" ... I mean, sure, they can ignore continuity but dismantling continuity at every turn shouldn't be what Trek is about.

If they had to pick an era to do more Trek stories, probably go with The Wrath of Khan era. I've always wanted to see a functional Starfleet from that standpoint ... with that look/feel. If they could take a slice of that film and run with it. It won't happen but it'd be cool if they "backported" enemies from TNG series (+ spin-offs) and reimagined how'd they'd look with early 80s TWoK production sensibilities. This is just me spouting off my 80s sci-fi nostalgia.

maharg

idspispopd
Even the reboot couldn't avoid it though. Star Trek begins with the annihilation of an entire planet and the death of Kirk's father. Then Into Darkness does the whole 9-11 conspiracy thing. lol

Another area I disagree with the consensus is the idea that Into Darkness is grimdark (in spite of its name). It ends with a round rejection of the idea that we need to be saved from our optimism by shadowy operators who do bad things for us, which is the worst thing DS9 introduced to Trek (rendering all of TOS and TNG's optimism naive and moot). Not being grimdark isn't about no bad things happening, it's about how those things are dealt with.

TOS The Doomsday Machine isn't grimdark imo, and it deals with something destroying multiple planets.

Oriel

I'm in two minds whether I want a continuatuon of the old timeline (picking up after Nemesis) or have a show in the JJ-verse.

Divvy

Well, I think the difference between TOS and TNG and the new grimdark scifi is their philosophy regarding how people naturally are. Old trek, like John Locke views people as inherently good, and similarly to Locke, there was always a lot of democratic discussion about issues.

Meanwhile, grimdark scifi of today views people as inherently selfish, akin to what Hobbes argued. That's why all these grimdark scifi shows constantly deal with subterfuge and everyone is a jerk.

I have a lot more to say on this matter, but I don't have time to properly write stuff out right now.

Another area I disagree with the consensus is the idea that Into Darkness is grimdark (in spite of its name). It ends with a round rejection of the idea that we need to be saved from our optimism by shadowy operators who do bad things for us, which is the worst thing DS9 introduced to Trek (rendering all of TOS and TNG's optimism naive and moot). Not being grimdark isn't about no bad things happening, it's about how those things are dealt with.

TOS The Doomsday Machine isn't grimdark imo, and it deals with something destroying multiple planets.

Yes, I completely agree. Shows are grimdark because people die, or bad things happen. It's how the show/movie reacts to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom