• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for Essendon. Time to cut times and move on. It's going to be a long road back but it had to start somewhere. Even if they shouldn't have let him come back.

Just saw the big yellow bar on ABC24.

I know Hird is an Essendon legend, hell when I played for Ainslie, we all knew about the superstar kid playing a good few age levels above us but a great coach a great player does not necessarily make. Same thing to a lesser extent is going on at Collingwood. That will be an equally messing divorce in the coming years.

bomma_man

Just saw the big yellow bar on ABC24.

I know Hird is an Essendon legend, hell when I played for Ainslie, we all knew about the superstar kid playing a good few age levels above us but a great coach a great player does not necessarily make. Same thing to a lesser extent is going on at Collingwood. That will be an equally messing divorce in the coming years.

Don't forget vossy. I don't those incredibly talented players that lead by example on the park make great coaches off it.

jambo

I only just got back to my desk before, totally missed all the Hird stuff.

Not surprising at all, there was no way he was going to stay on, just a matter of time.

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens to the board and management later this year.

Don't forget vossy. I don't those incredibly talented players that lead by example on the park make great coaches off it.

Buckley, Hird, Voss - all bonafide legends of the game according to Axeman. Ironically, cant coach for crap.

Im not having a go Axeman, but maybe their exploits were improved partly because of the teams they were in.

legend166

Yeah reports are the Grand Final stays a day game. I would have liked a twilight Grand Final but oh well.

In terms of free to air games, they're saying it's going to be:

- 12 Thursday night games
- Friday night
- Saturday night
- Sunday afternoon
- All public holiday games

AxeMan

Buckley, Hird, Voss - all bonafide legends of the game according to Axeman. Ironically, cant coach for crap.

Im not having a go Axeman, but maybe their exploits were improved partly because of the teams they were in.

Hey Chicko, no problem

All champion players. No doubt about that, Voss the better of the 3 in my mind. They would have been just as good in poor teams.
Interestingly enough I reckon Hird comes last on both playing and coaching out of the 3

so 11 rounds a year will have only 3 matches on FTA, out of 9?

=\

Yep, doesn't sound good for those of us not wanting to line Ruperts pockets. Though I do find myself watching less and less football this year so it probably doesn't bother me too much. I haven't watched the last 3 Hawks games

Hey Chicko, no problem

All champion players. No doubt about that, Voss the better of the 3 in my mind. They would have been just as good in poor teams.
Interestingly enough I reckon Hird comes last on both playing and coaching out of the 3

I don't think they would have been considered as good in non-winning teams. Champions always play in champion sides, its not a coincidence.

Voss had Aker, Black, Power, and Lappin all helping take a huge amount of tagging pressure off him.

Buckley had a pretty good team around him in 02 and 03, when he was at his peak. He never won the flag but they were up against one of the greatest teams of all time in consecutive grand finals.

And Hird played in two really good teams, early-mid 90s and early 00s, when he had is best seasons. 2000 and 2001 teams were about as good as any in the modern era.

These three were all very good players, but all hit their peaks when the whole team around them hit their peaks. Its impossible to be able to know what was a bigger influence, the team on them or vice versa.

Wayne Carey is still the greatest player I have seen. Id have him over those three in my team in a heartbeat.

And I would take D.Jarman over any of Hird, Voss, or Buckley too. Better skills and a better bloke. But Im a Crows fan

jambo

All the games are already banished to 7mate in the ACT already. Only huge games like ANZAC and the GF are on the main SD channel.

Similar thing happens with F1, always in HD on ONE for SA and WA even though eastern states have to put up with SD broadcast.

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday August 21st
Hawthorn vs. Port Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday August 22nd
Collingwood vs. Richmond @ The MCG
Greater Western Sydney vs. Sydney @ Spotless Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Essendon @ Metricon Stadium
St Kilda vs. Geelong @ Etihad Stadium
Adelaide vs. Brisbane @ Adelaide Oval

Sunday August 23rd
North Melbourne vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Carlton vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
West Coast vs. Western Bulldogs @ Domain Stadium

Round 21 Teams

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Thought Hawthorn looked pretty ordinary. Not sure how it played out in the first half but wasn't overly impressed.

jambo

Port controlled the first quarter, but then Hawthorn started to come back in the second.

Crazy good game from Port, can't believe how good Wingard, Ryder and the Gray's were.

legend166

Just watched the Hodge hit on Wingard. Holy crap, that's one of the most dangerous things I've seen on the footy field in a long time. Has to be at least 3 weeks, surely?

And of course 18 months of being booed by every crowd around the country because according to Axeman that's what should happen to dirty players.

jambo

Still can't believe that Ling and Carey are both defending Hodge.

How can Ling say that Hodge didn't want to put him on to the post?

Fucking Channel 7 boys club.

legend166

It's almost like Hodge is employed by Channel 7....

The AFL really just needs to be renamed the ACIL. The Australian Conflict of Interest League.

We've got players commentating, the brother of the CEO commentating, the chairman owning stadia, a club President commentating, commentators having to pass judgement on their colleagues, and many more.

Omikron

There is a huge weighting to the injury sustained. Was Wingard injured at all?

Edit: Just watched the video. Hodge should go. Given the system. 1 week.

AxeMan

I saw some pictures. Didn't look flash from that, and he'll probably miss a few. No problem with that.

As for the perceived 'fact' that we're any more dirty than another other team I'd suggest having a read of this article.

Hawthorn play aggressive football - not aggressive enough for mine. Too much 'be nice to all' going on in football. It's one of the reasons I pretty much have stopped watching it

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...od-guys-compared-to-some-20150629-gi0tsd.html

CHARGES LAID SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

Eq 1. Sydney, GWS* (15 charges)
3. Collingwood (17)
Eq 4. Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (18)
Eq 6. Adelaide, Carlton (19)
8. Gold Coast (20)
9. Brisbane (24)
10. Hawthorn (25)
11. Melbourne (27)
Eq 12. Richmond, St Kilda (28)
14. Essendon (30)
15. West Coast (32)
16. North Melbourne (34)
17. Geelong (35)
18. Fremantle (36)

MATCHES MISSED SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

1. Sydney (9)
Eq 2. Adelaide Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (12)
5. Collingwood (14)
6. GWS* (15)
7. Brisbane (17)
8. St Kilda (21)
Eq 9. Carlton, West Coast (23)
11. Hawthorn (25)
Eq 12. Fremantle, Gold Coast (26)
Eq 14. Essendon, Melbourne (27)
16. North Melbourne (29)
17. Richmond (30)
18. Geelong (33)

oipic

Hodge isn't the first bloke to do this by any means, but his 'come on ump, what for!?' reaction, presumably in response to the initial free paid against him, was laughable in the context of the 'bump' he dished out seconds later.

Yagharek

I saw some pictures. Didn't look flash from that, and he'll probably miss a few. No problem with that.

As for the perceived 'fact' that we're any more dirty than another other team I'd suggest having a read of this article.

Hawthorn play aggressive football - not aggressive enough for mine. Too much 'be nice to all' going on in football. It's one of the reasons I pretty much have stopped watching it

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...od-guys-compared-to-some-20150629-gi0tsd.html

CHARGES LAID SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

Eq 1. Sydney, GWS* (15 charges)
3. Collingwood (17)
Eq 4. Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (18)
Eq 6. Adelaide, Carlton (19)
8. Gold Coast (20)
9. Brisbane (24)
10. Hawthorn (25)
11. Melbourne (27)
Eq 12. Richmond, St Kilda (28)
14. Essendon (30)
15. West Coast (32)
16. North Melbourne (34)
17. Geelong (35)
18. Fremantle (36)

MATCHES MISSED SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

1. Sydney (9)
Eq 2. Adelaide Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (12)
5. Collingwood (14)
6. GWS* (15)
7. Brisbane (17)
8. St Kilda (21)
Eq 9. Carlton, West Coast (23)
11. Hawthorn (25)
Eq 12. Fremantle, Gold Coast (26)
Eq 14. Essendon, Melbourne (27)
16. North Melbourne (29)
17. Richmond (30)
18. Geelong (33)

Yes, well stats are one thing. This is another.

Suggest you watch the incident in question, then return.

azaJubh.gif

Lucky that he didn't cause serious injury like in the piledriving tackles in NRL.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Thought we (Geelong) were pretty poor tonight but that was probably more to do with the Saints' willingness to play as fast and attacking as they did.
Mostly disappointed because our season now ends sooner than it would have had we been able to get those last 3 wins.
Felt the older players really let us down when it counted. Their awful turnovers killed me. Time to move some on I reckon.

The big american Holmes was pretty impressive. That one hitout where he jumped high enough to sit his knee on Vardy's shoulder was unreal. Did well all night.

Edit: Top game from Freo and North. Finals-esque. Impressive win from the Roos.

Edit 2: Impressive from West Coast. If they get the right games they're my pick for the premiers this year.

Yagharek

So nothing I said is wrong then.

Are you genuinely tone deaf to the point that a player who very nearly suffered a dangerous neck or spine injury due to a reckless act of thuggery is irrelevant?

I bet you sung a different tune when Lloyd lined up Brad Sewell in 2009.

I suspect Fyfe's brownlow went out the window this afternoon. He's been pretty close to the edge a few times this season and I imagine this one will put him over.

As an Eagles fan, I went into this season thinking we were going to be lucky to make the 8, how the heck did we end up 1/2 a game out of number 1 spot o_o. If they end up making the grand final while I'm in another country and may not be able to watch it, I'm going to be pretty bummed about it.

More so if it ends up being a West Cost v Freo game, to miss out on being in Perth in the lead up to that would be a shame.

oipic

Nothing in it. He will be cleared.

Yep, Fyfe cleared.

Hodge given two weeks for his bump on Wingard.

Fair or not, what say you, FootyGAF? My first reaction is that this is about right... for once.

Fear not, Hawks - this will freshen-up Hodge beautifully for the finals campaign.

jambo

The MRP moved more towards the actual resulting injury in the last couple of years, so the fact that Wingard got up pretty quickly and then went on to kick 4 goals helped Hodge a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom