• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

Yeah I agree that it's not a great comparison. But it's true that there are way dirtier players playing right now, and they don't just get minimal attention in comparison, they get nothing. It comes across to me that people think he's uppity.

legend166

The Goodes stuff is getting gross. You know a side is wrong when the champions of it are Alan Jones, Dermett Brereton, Miranda Devine, Sam Newman, et al.

And to think it all started simply because he pointed out someone in the crowd who was racist toward him.

And don't give me this "Bubu he's a dirty player" garbage. He's no worse than dozens of other players out there. Hodge, Mitchell, Fletcher, Harvey, etc.

Barry Hall knocked a guy unconscious and never got this treatment.

Westlo

He gets this treatment because it clearly affects him.

Lebron got the shit boo'd out of him his first year in Miami, if it showed on the court (it didn't for the most part) and he and the Heat had gone to the press saying it makes him play worse what do you think would've happened?

Has anyone gone back to the first couple of weeks where he was being booed week after week and tried to find some sort of correlation to anything which might have provoked the start?

I'm thinking it all started around the collingwood kid but trying to work out if it was that or the Australian of the year of something else.

I believe it was initially to do with him being an outspoken aboriginal man but has probably gathered some moss in those who just do it because the strayan next to them is doing it.

My favorite argument is people who spout '71 indigenous players but they're not getting bored booed'. They're also not the figure head for recognise not have they so openly pointed out racism in the crowds not did they get unnecessary backlash for the Australian of the year award which was also probably too do with race.

legend166

It hasn't effected his play. He's have a better year than last year and the booing has intensified.

It effects his mental and emotional state because he believes he's being booed because of the colour of his skin and the actions he's taken to speak out against racism. If people feel their right to boo someone is more important than that persons emotional and mental wellbeing, well that's on you.

I didn't watch enough of LeBron's games back in 2011 to see what treatment he got.

I have been following the AFL for 15+ years and I've never seen this level of hatred and invective thrown at a single player. And I watched every single game Barry Hall played for the Swans!

Yagharek

West australia supporters are rallying around arguments about goodes sliding tackles.

If the argument was he was a dirty player then wa fans would have booed Judd for repeat eye gouging offences which are far far worse than something which is basically akin to tripping.

WA football fans are racists. And hypocrites.

Goodes being aboriginal and a player for the main rival is why he is singled out. Any excuse otherwise is just disingenuous.

freoleo29

West australia supporters are rallying around arguments about goodes sliding tackles.

If the argument was he was a dirty player then wa fans would have booed Judd for repeat eye gouging offences which are far far worse than something which is basically akin to tripping.

WA football fans are racists. And hypocrites.

Goodes being aboriginal and a player for the main rival is why he is singled out. Any excuse otherwise is just disingenuous.

I was at the game in round 4 when the Goodes argument was still fired up and there was no booing from the Freo supporters, so to say WA football fans are racist is just plain wrong.

legend166

Has anyone gone back to the first couple of weeks where he was being booed week after week and tried to find some sort of correlation to anything which might have provoked the start?

I'm thinking it all started around the collingwood kid but trying to work out if it was that or the Australian of the year of something else.

I believe it was initially to do with him being an outspoken aboriginal man but has probably gathered some moss in those who just do it because the strayan next to them is doing it.

My favorite argument is people who spout '71 indigenous players but they're not getting bored booed'. They're also not the figure head for recognise not have they so openly pointed out racism in the crowds not did they get unnecessary backlash for the Australian of the year award which was also probably too do with race.

It started after the Collingwood incident. If you watch the video of that game there was no booing at all (even though Goodes tore up the Pies). From then on it gathered steam. There was this weird media narrative that came out that Goodes had bullied and humiliated the 13 year old (typified by Alan Jones' comments today), which is just laughable. If you read Goodes' comments from the day the event he couldn't have been any more supportive of her:

"I've had fantastic support over the past 24 hours," Goodes said.

"I just hope that people give the 13 year old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.

"It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl.

"We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."

Goodes said that Victoria Police asked if he would like to press charges but he declined, reiterating that the girl needs to learn why her abuse was hurtful.

"It's not her fault, she's 13, she's still so innocent, I don't put any blame on her," he said.

"Unfortunately it's what she hears, in the environment she's grown up in that has made her think that it's OK to call people names."

"I guarantee she has no idea right now how it makes people feel to call them an ape."

The "he's a dirty player" argument is dumb. Again, I've watched 99% of his games. There was a couple of years there around 2008-2009 where it was like he took angry pills and was doing some dumb stuff on the field out of frustration, but it was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. But he didn't get booed then. He only gets booed now.

Mr_Moogle

I think Adam Goodes is a massive tool and it has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

Seriously what kind of douche bag incites opposition supporters when their team is at the bottom of the ladder and they are 10 goals down? He's an asshole.

legend166

I was at the game in round 4 when the Goodes argument was still fired up and there was no booing from the Freo supporters, so to say WA football fans are racist is just plain wrong.

You should probably check out the team sheets for that game. Goodes didn't play.

legend166

I think Adam Goodes is a massive tool and it has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

Seriously what kind of douche bag incites opposition supporters when their team is at the bottom of the ladder and they are 10 goals down? He's an asshole.

Excuse me, I have to go pick up my eyes after they rolled out of my head onto the floor.

Yagharek

Point taken. WCE fans are ferals with a victim complex. I apologise for linking the two.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I was trying to think of a reason why the booing has seemed to have picked up recently and I though maybe it had to do with the tribal dance he did not long ago so I typed "goodes does..." and the google auto suggestion had "goodes does war dance" and "goodes does look like an ape"...

legend166

I just thought it was incredibly distasteful. I never thought he was a wanker until I saw him do that. I had been pretty pro-Goodes up until that point.

It was Indigenous Round and he'd already been booed for well over a year at that point. I was at the game - that pocket of Carlton fans booed him all night, so he stuck it up them when he scored. Hardly the end of the world.

I don't see what the score has to do with it - Jetta did it on the weekend whilst we were in the middle of a spanking.

AxeMan

I was trying to think of a reason why the booing has seemed to have picked up recently and I though maybe it had to do with the tribal dance he did not long ago so I typed "goodes does..." and the google auto suggestion had "goodes does war dance" and "goodes does look like an ape"...

I would say because people are perceiving him to be bigger than the game and I think people are fed up with football being used as a political tool and a medium to spread community messages.

If he, his team mates, the AFL, had ignored the boos and got on with the game then the boos may not have gone away (as some players are always booed) but they wouldn't be so pronounced now.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Goodes by any stretch, but the problem with racism in this country is that people seem to believe they aren't racist if they have no intention of hurting someone's feelings.

Racism is just as much about the impact on the person as it is the intent. If the constant booing is hurting Goodes as much as it appears, and he believes it is racially motivated, it should be reason enough for people to have a look at themselves and question why they are carrying on.

AxeMan

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Goodes by any stretch, but the problem with racism in this country is that people seem to believe they aren't racist if they have no intention of hurting someone's feelings.

Racism is just as much about the impact on the person as it is the intent. If the constant booing is hurting Goodes as much as it appears, it should be reason enough for people to have a look at themselves and question why they are carrying on.

If we can't boo Goodes are we allowed to boo anyone?

Note - I don't boo and never have

If it got to a player emotionally/psychologically as much as it appears to have gotten to Goodes, I would hope that the general footy going public would ease off.

Note: I also don't boo... does chewy on your boot count?

AxeMan

If it got to a player emotionally/psychologically as much as it appears to have gotten to Goodes, I would hope that the general footy going public would ease off.

Note: I also don't boo... does chewy on your boot count?

I'm on the fence about it to be honest.
Can he be sledged at all?

legend166

Of course you can boo/sledge/etc in the same circumstances as you would any other player.

The problem with this argument is that people are acting like this is just par for the course. But it's unprecedented. I've never seen this before. Even the Hird boos didn't last this long and he's accused of much worse things than anything Goodes did. There's players running around who have been convicted of assault, drug dealing, domestic assault, etc. Yet none have had anywhere near the same treatment.

AxeMan

^^ that's just it Legend, the cats out of the bag so to speak.
My earlier post states my reasons why I think it's happening on this level. It's been handled terribly and shouldn't have been made an issue of; he may of continued to get boos (no more than any other player) but because it's been made a huge issue the boos have increased

Rezbit

Steven Milne didn't cop it as much as Goodes does.

Also AFL is really crap at the moment. Why is the standard so poor in every facet? Game is bad, umpiring is bad and supporters are bad. Only one team is playing great football and even they're starting to play a bit on the dirty side.

Booing is part of the game but context matters. Patty Ryder was booed on the weekend by bombers fans but that makes sense since it was against his old team. There was nothing racist in that.

Booing someone at every interaction they have with the ball in every game for over a year is a very different beast.

Mr_Moogle

Also AFL is really crap at the moment. Why is the standard so poor in every facet? Game is bad, umpiring is bad and supporters are bad. Only one team is playing great football and even they're starting to play a bit on the dirty side.

At the start of the year I thought the umpiring had improved but it seems to be worse than ever now. Every year the league has so many rule changes and tweaks it's becoming hard to recognise this sport. I feel sorry for the poor umpires who cop all the blame for the AFL's total incompetence. Seriously are there any other professional sports where the rules change on a week to week basis? It's ridiculous.

Also have to agree with you about Hawthorn. They are a class above other sides but they are very dirty. It's a shame really.

It was Indigenous Round and he'd already been booed for well over a year at that point. I was at the game - that pocket of Carlton fans booed him all night, so he stuck it up them when he scored. Hardly the end of the world.

I don't see what the score has to do with it - Jetta did it on the weekend whilst we were in the middle of a spanking.

Up until the Carlton game I had always thought Goodes was largely misunderstood or maybe just had the worse PR reps ever. When he stuck it up Carlton supporters, it made him look like rather petty individual. He had a chance to be a class above those who boo him but instead he chose to sink to their level. It was also the second year running where Indigenous Round became the Adam Goodes round and that's just plain irritating.

Mr_Moogle

The above opinion is pretty amazing. Just put up with those taunts Adam. Be a good boy.

He can't celebrate indigenous round without provoking opposition supporters? I mean this was Carlton who we're bottom of the ladder getting beaten by 50 something points by a side that played in the Grand Final last year. Who did he think he was impressing?

Plenty of others put up with it and don't have a cry

It's opinions like this that are the reason it's getting out of hand. Others don't have to cop this. Not like this. This has gone beyond a joke. It would be a very sad day if someone has to retire because they can't play football without this bullying happening.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Adelaide Crows fans booed Nathan Lovett murray back in like 2010 after Andrew Lovett got in trouble with the law.

Was that racist?

AxeMan

It's opinions like this that are the reason it's getting out of hand. Others don't have to cop this. Not like this. This has gone beyond a joke. It would be a very sad day if someone has to retire because they can't play football without this bullying happening.

Obviously not to the level that Goodes is coping now but I believe, as I've stated in my posts, that the handling of the initial booing was wrong - and now here we are.

And the comment that was interpreted as 'harden up' was a response to the comment that the boos have been going on for years.
Yes the boos have been going on for years, but they were no worse than any other player copped. Then attention and focus was started on it and everyone had a say about it and then it increased

Grassy

Also have to agree with you about Hawthorn. They are a class above other sides but they are very dirty. It's a shame really.

So which one is it, are the Hawks a bit dirty or very dirty? Or neither? They've had 10 charges this year and 2 players suspended. Come on now.
They've really got no reason to play dirty when they keep belting teams the way they have been.

Grug

The booing is just so, so embarrassing.

Not all of them are racist, but every single one of them is a mindless sheep.

Was cringing in my seat at the Gabba a few weeks back when the simpletons in the crowd started up.

jey_16

Banned

eh....some of the crap Sydney pulled when they were getting thumped by the Hawks was the worst i had seen this year. It was embarassing considering they were losing by so much

Dryk

I don't have enough perspective to comment on whether or not much of the booing is racially motivated. But what I do know is that lots of people are dismissing it out of hand and not even considering the possibility that he's getting a disproportionate amount of shit (which he may or may not deserve) compared to similar white players. That's about what I'd expect but it's also a huge problem.

AxeMan

eh....some of the crap Sydney pulled when they were getting thumped by the Hawks was the worst i had seen this year. It was embarassing considering they were losing by so much

I have no idea where this myth that Hawthorn play dirty started but it's plain wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom