• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2015 |OT| Women's Round presented by Stephen Milne & Majak Daw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned on the TV and Fox Footy had a thing in the corner saying go to 500 for info on the Phil Walsh tragedy. and holly shit. I never thought something like this would happen in the AFL. I cant see them playing the game on the weekend.

And all the articles about him reconnecting with his son over the last few months, then this. I feel so sad for his family and everyone at the Adelaide Football Club.

And Rory Sloane said Walsh was a big factor in staying at the crows.

I wonder if they will put one of the Fox Footy games on 7 Sunday if the Cats/Crows game is not played. even if TV stuff is the last thing the AFL need to do today.

Mr_Moogle

Mad Crows fan here. Just don't know what to say. I'm absolutely gutted. Happened just a couple of streets from where I work.

Bernbaum

Shocking. A coworker in my team is from Adelaide and is a loyal Crows fan and he's very upset by all of this. He took a bunch of us to see the Crows play at the Gabba last week.

He was thrilled to have watched then play and win after missing out for so long on seeing his boys play. It's incredibly disheartening to see something as shocking as this so soon after he got to share his love of AFL and the Crows with his non-Aussie rules Brisbane mates. We've told him he can go home if he needs to but he's still here, albeit in a very somber mood.

Condolences to all the Crows supporters and AFL fans.

Kaze Kyou

Damn, and by his son too. I reckon the Crows would be too devastated to continue even after this round.

Condolences, this is just shitty news.

782976-71077b82-2181-11e5-bfd8-23d4937b5704.jpg

Gablett jnr is so amazing.

As much of a legend gabjr is, I think this is a great example of the bye losing a match for a team.

I was telling all my workmates that this was going to be the upset because Gold Coast played last week, Gabjr was back and North had the bye.

I still don't know why the afl doesn't do the fixture where bye teams have to play bye teams coming back because the stats don't lie, coming off a bye, you don't want to be playing someone who played last week. You'd only have about 20% of teams winning under those circumstances.

Considering how rigged the fixture is, you'd think the afl would get this right over the last couple of years.

AxeMan

As much of a legend gabjr is, I think this is a great example of the bye losing a match for a team.

I was telling all my workmates that this was going to be the upset because Gold Coast played last week, Gabjr was back and North had the bye.

I still don't know why the afl doesn't do the fixture where bye teams have to play bye teams coming back because the stats don't lie, coming off a bye, you don't want to be playing someone who played last week. You'd only have about 20% of teams winning under those circumstances.

Considering how rigged the fixture is, you'd think the afl would get this right over the last couple of years.

It's all about that sweet cash with the AFL. It's called a FIXture for a reason

It's all about that sweet cash with the AFL. It's called a FIXture for a reason

This year they did most of the bye teams playing bye teams when they came back, it was only about five or six games that wasn't. I don't think one rested team defeated a no bye team this year, off the top of my head, and I am drunk

AxeMan

This year they did most of the bye teams playing bye teams when they came back, it was only about five or six games that wasn't. I don't think one rested team defeated a no bye team this year, off the top of my head, and I am drunk

<insert avatar quote here>

It's ok. I've had a few Coopers greens and am onto the whisky now relaxing to some music - getting some new stuff from the thread I put up here

<insert avatar quote here>

It's ok. I've had a few Coopers greens and am onto the whisky now relaxing to some music - getting some new stuff from the thread I put up here

Coopers greens? Never heard them called that, and I'm from sa and know one of the coopers kids.

In South Australia we call them "pale-lies" I.e two syllables for plural of "a pale".

I'm on my third Manhattan, watching the Tour de France and f1 qualifying. Did you hear Ryan Harris has just called his retirement too. Great career ruined by injuries.

AxeMan

Palies makes sense.

F1 isn't on normal TV so I don't have it. I'm over F1 at the moment anyway.

Harris will be missed, very good player

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
going into a bar and asking for a pale ale and they ask you what one still weirds me out in melbourne.

silly melbourne. coopers clearly

jambo

I've heard them called Coopers greens in SA, not very often though.

Like Syth said, most people just ask for a Pale Ale and the bar staff understands.

just watching the crows v nth melbourne game they are showing on Fox Footy for a tribute to Phil Walsh.

They are now showing the Phil Walsh's post game interview - pretty much everything he said I agree with. Complete opposite of that idiot Sanderson.

seanoff

The more i hear on the phil walsh thing the more fucked it is.

He was stabbed in the back, probably while he was asleep. Who the fuck does that to their own father. Seriously.

Took me a few minutes to process it friday morning.

The more i hear on the phil walsh thing the more fucked it is.

He was stabbed in the back, probably while he was asleep. Who the fuck does that to their own father. Seriously.

Took me a few minutes to process it friday morning.

Last thing I heard was the son was on ice, did that get confirmed?

I have only read some news articles online today, but I didnt hear he was stabbed in the back or while he was asleep.

My initial thought on Thursday was that his son mustve been on something or that he has serious mental health issues. Apparently ice has been ruled out so its probably the later being the case.

jambo

I remember seeing an article early on that mentioned his son having issues with meth amphetamines, but then it disappeared so I assumed it was speculation.

seanoff

I have only read some news articles online today, but I didnt hear he was stabbed in the back or while he was asleep.

My initial thought on Thursday was that his son mustve been on something or that he has serious mental health issues. Apparently ice has been ruled out so its probably the later being the case.

"As police try to piece together Cy movements before and after he allegedly stabbed his father multiple times, a chilling account of the final moments before the murder has emerged.
The Sunday Herald Sun understands Cy allegedly attacked his father in bed, where he was stabbed in the back.
There is speculation he had hugged his mother moments before he allegedly attacked his father.
Moments later Walsh died of multiple stab wounds and Cy fled on foot."

http://www.news.com.au/national/dau...il-walshs-murder/story-e6frfkp9-1227428769282

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I remember seeing an article early on that mentioned his son having issues with meth amphetamines, but then it disappeared so I assumed it was speculation.

Not sure.

More on footy, I think we've exhausted ourselves failing to get over the line against Freo and Hawks.

I reckon we're ripe for the picking Thursday night.

More on footy, I think we've exhausted ourselves failing to get over the line against Freo and Hawks.

I reckon we're ripe for the picking Thursday night.

You're normally right on with your predictions. I certainly hope you're wrong this time. We should be able to beat Port but I'm also worried we've exhausted ourselves. Getting close to winning isn't good enough unfortunately.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
It's that time again...
Luckless Cat Menzel set for VFL return

LUCKLESS Geelong forward Daniel Menzel is set to play his first game in more than two years with the Cats planning for him to make his return through the VFL this weekend.

If the hard-working 23-year-old gets through training this week, he will line up for the Cats' VFL team against Werribee on Saturday.

Menzel has had a shocking injury run during his six years in the AFL, undergoing four knee reconstructions since first rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Hawthorn in the 2011 qualifying final.

The young Cat, who has 21 senior games to his name, has had three traditional knee reconstructions and underwent one LARS operation in January 2013.

He has also battled knee tendinitis in the past 18 months, which has further delayed his return to football.

Stolen from Big Footy:
17 possessions, 5 goals 2 behinds, 125 Supercoach points and 3 Brownlow votes.... in his last full game at any level.

He's almost become a forgotten player.

I really hope he can get through the next few games unscathed and start stringing games together if only for his sake. Can't have been easy being injured again and again over 4 years.

Update: Confirmed playing.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-07-08/menzel-confirms-return-r15

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Thursday July 9th
Port Adelaide vs. Collingwood @ Adelaide Oval

Friday July 10th
Richmond vs. Carlton @ The MCG

Saturday July 11th
Essendon vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Western Bulldogs vs. Gold Coast @ Cazaly's Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Geelong @ Etihad Stadium
West Coast vs. Adelaide @ Domain Stadium

Sunday July 12th
Greater Western Sydney vs. St Kilda @ Spotless Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Fremantle @ Aurora Stadium
Brisbane vs. Sydney @ The Gabba

Round 15 Teams

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Port look alright early.

Edit: I thought, with Alipate Carlile being out, Cloke would have had a bigger influence. I suppose the conditions haven't been ideal.

Game: Damn, that last mark attempt.
Good game.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Essendon winning is annoying. Backed them last week and they couldn't even be bothered. Tip against them and they play out of their skins.

Edit: Geelong's Daniel Menzel played today in the VFL. Played just over a half of footy. Finished with 17 possessions (14 contested), 10 clearances, 2 tackles. Not bad for how long he's been out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom